HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ellerby- keep him or trade him?: edit: TRADED TO KINGS FOR 5TH RD PICK

Old
01-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
For what it's worth, I don't think Ellerby has regressed at all this year. I've never really liked him, but I actually think he's gotten better. He's taken some dumb penalties, but I feel like he's made less mistakes and I like the occasionally physicality he plays with.

The team has played 5 games, and I honestly think he's been our best d-man in, at least, a couple of those games. Of course, that's just mainly because the rest of our D-core has sucked so much that somebody has to be the best of the worst.

Realistically speaking, Ellerby has minimal trade value. He's also, (imo anyway), better than Jovo, Kuba, and Weaver at this point. I'm getting kinda tired of Weaver. Liked him early on, but he really adds nothing now. His best year was with Garrison and I think it was more about Garrison than him. Weaver is useful for one thing (PK), and it's an area we suck in as a team. Kuba looks like the definition of meh at this point in his career. Also, before we crown Gudbranson, let's remember that he has a lot to prove, himself. I'm not sure it can be said that Gudbranson outplayed Ellerby last year.
To be honest I am not sure I agree with you on how our defenders are doing, other than Ellerby. Would like to see Ellerby stick in this team when everyone is back, if I could choose it would be at the expense of Jovo. I think that Kuba is doing ok, what you would expect really, being his age I thought he would take a few games to get going especially on a new team and all. Weaver has been doing the same as always, think that is fine as long as he plays alongside someone who can move the puck and provide another aspect to the pairing. However, Kulikov has been very poor, which is slightly surprising as he was our only dman playing regularly during the lockout.

Wasn't there talk of Guds spending some time in the AHL when he is back from his injury, I can't remember who said it but that was mentioned regardless of whether the lockout was still going on when he returned. Although if this team continues to tank as much as it is then it probably doesn't matter if Guds takes time to get up to speed when he returns as the team won't even notice.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:55 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
To be honest I am not sure I agree with you on how our defenders are doing, other than Ellerby. Would like to see Ellerby stick in this team when everyone is back, if I could choose it would be at the expense of Jovo. I think that Kuba is doing ok, what you would expect really, being his age I thought he would take a few games to get going especially on a new team and all. Weaver has been doing the same as always, think that is fine as long as he plays alongside someone who can move the puck and provide another aspect to the pairing. However, Kulikov has been very poor, which is slightly surprising as he was our only dman playing regularly during the lockout.

Wasn't there talk of Guds spending some time in the AHL when he is back from his injury, I can't remember who said it but that was mentioned regardless of whether the lockout was still going on when he returned. Although if this team continues to tank as much as it is then it probably doesn't matter if Guds takes time to get up to speed when he returns as the team won't even notice.
I remember hearing this too. It would make sense. Get him to game speed and let his shoulder absorb some hits.

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Dr Beinfest

Even watching this Tampa Bay-Florida game, Ellerby is on his game.

We'd be dumb to trade a young defender on a cheap contract who's serviceable.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Dr Beinfest

So far, what? The only Panther to drop the gloves this season?

Old
01-29-2013, 07:01 PM
jakethesnake23

Surprised by people saying he has been physical this year. He has always been physical and was the most consistent deliverer of big hits last year.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest View Post
So far, what? The only Panther to drop the gloves this season?
Exactly, how do you get rid of the ONLY guy on our team that is willing to stick up for his teammates so far. Our actual enforcer, Yanni on skates, just floats around the ice collecting his retirement contract.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Erick

And Weaver is proving exactly what I'm saying.
Both of the goals against tonight are basically his fault...

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Exactly, how do you get rid of the ONLY guy on our team that is willing to stick up for his teammates so far. Our actual enforcer, Yanni on skates, just floats around the ice collecting his retirement contract.
Terrible he hasn't just jumped guys and collected penalty minutes.

Again, may not be the best guy to have around, but he's in a new system with no camp. Teams haven't had enforcers who would go. Not his fault.

01-29-2013, 07:26 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Ellerby just won a lot of cred with me. A real lot.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Dr Beinfest

Well it's a moot point with Parros -- an enforcer is only going to serve a purpose in competitive games.

The Panthers have only been in one competitive game all season.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Well it's a moot point with Parros -- an enforcer is only going to serve a purpose in competitive games.

The Panthers have only been in one competitive game all season.
Disagree, it is when the team is playing poorly that an enforcer can help wake them up. Not saying he needs to be dirty, but it isn't hard to stir things up. A little trash talk, facewash, bump into the goalie, and someone has to go. If he could actually skate, he might be able to deliver a check once in a while. Other teams seem to be able to. Very disappointed in him so far. And every game that goes by, I'm more disappointed. Maybe he'll wake up but I've seen nothing so far.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Disagree, it is when the team is playing poorly that an enforcer can help wake them up. Not saying he needs to be dirty, but it isn't hard to stir things up. A little trash talk, facewash, bump into the goalie, and someone has to go. If he could actually skate, he might be able to deliver a check once in a while. Other teams seem to be able to. Very disappointed in him so far. And every game that goes by, I'm more disappointed. Maybe he'll wake up but I've seen nothing so far.
biggest myth in regards to fighters.

Tell me how many times someone has dropped the gloves and miraculously a team has pulled out of a 3 goal hole...

You're talking about 2-1 games where a little sway in momentum can make a difference. You're also talking about having a guy like Parros readily available as a bounty hunter to protect guys like the lil Huberdeau if he's being picked on.

George Parros nor any enforcer or goon will ever 'wake a team up' when they're playing poorly.

Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
biggest myth in regards to fighters.

Tell me how many times someone has dropped the gloves and miraculously a team has pulled out of a 3 goal hole...

You're talking about 2-1 games where a little sway in momentum can make a difference. You're also talking about having a guy like Parros readily available as a bounty hunter to protect guys like the lil Huberdeau if he's being picked on.

George Parros nor any enforcer or goon will ever 'wake a team up' when they're playing poorly.
No one said it would miraculously help a team score three goals. Hockey is a game of energy and flow. When a team is flat, as we have been for about 15 straight periods, some physical play , team togetherness, and a fight can wake the team up. Very few teams lay down like we do when we are getting pummeled on the scoreboard. I still believe in the old hockey saying, if you can't beat them, beat them up. And live to play another day. Our flat play is becoming the norm.

And as I'm typing this, they just showed the example of how the Lecavallier fight against philly SPARKED the team to a victory.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Agreed. I thought Parros would be more than this. Very disappointing.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:33 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Agreed. I thought Parros would be more than this. Very disappointing.

-ghoste
I don't get what he was brought in for. It clearly isn't fighting.

His stat line tonight:

-1, 1 shot, 1 hit. 11 shifts & 5:38 ice time. Thats 6 shifts less then the next lowest player and 6 min. less played.

I just don't understand anymore. Why don't we start making him a healthy scratch when players come back, because he ain't doing squat!

PantherboyHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
I think Dineen should threaten to unleash Parros on his teammates if they don't get their ***** in gear.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
No one said it would miraculously help a team score three goals. Hockey is a game of energy and flow. When a team is flat, as we have been for about 15 straight periods, some physical play , team togetherness, and a fight can wake the team up. Very few teams lay down like we do when we are getting pummeled on the scoreboard. I still believe in the old hockey saying, if you can't beat them, beat them up. And live to play another day. Our flat play is becoming the norm.

And as I'm typing this, they just showed the example of how the Lecavallier fight against philly SPARKED the team to a victory.

What is 'waking up' a team? So far as I'm concerned whenever I'm a part of a team, someone getting physical doesn't change the way I play if we're playing ****** as a team. Communication, hard work, and committing to a system is what turns poor play around. And momentum, of course. And naturally, if you just flat out suck, none of that matters.

An enforcer effects the momentum aspect. If your game isn't a competitive game, momentum wont do ****. George Parros can go beat up another team's enforcer and put on a fighting spectacle, but unless there's hard work, communication, and a team committing to a system, it wont do a thing. Right now, this team is an utter mess. Someone dropping the gloves just makes it more of a mess.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:53 PM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I think Dineen should threaten to unleash Parros on his teammates if they don't get their ***** in gear.
Parros is a wussy ok? He wont do a damn thing to his teammates if he wont do it to the opposition

pens87jets7fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Sports24-7

I think Ellerby has been getting better. He's so up and down and the penalties have been killer, but at times I think he's been the Panthers best defenseman. Jovo has been horrible, Kuba has been a complete bust, and Weaver might be the Panthers worst player right now. Campbell has done some things offensively, but has been pretty bad defensively. Kullikov has been as up and down as Ellerby but seems like we can chalk up at least one really bad giveaway each game. The poor play of the D has been the biggest surprise to me this year. Everyone talks about the lack of goal scoring, but the D is just as bad and maybe worse. If it weren't for some good goaltending by Theo, the Panthers should have given up even more goals than they have.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerbyfan4 View Post
Parros is a wussy ok? He wont do a damn thing to his teammates if he wont do it to the opposition
Like I said... a Parros fight right now is just a big freaking goon show. It annoys me that he isn't doing what he was brought in here to do, but it's not like we're dying for Parros to go fight someone. This team would still suck either way.

Plus... have you stopped to think that maybe very few people dare to drop the gloves with George Parros? He's a very powerful human being.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports24-7 View Post
I think Ellerby has been getting better. He's so up and down and the penalties have been killer, but at times I think he's been the Panthers best defenseman. Jovo has been horrible, Kuba has been a complete bust, and Weaver might be the Panthers worst player right now. Campbell has done some things offensively, but has been pretty bad defensively. Kullikov has been as up and down as Ellerby but seems like we can chalk up at least one really bad giveaway each game. The poor play of the D has been the biggest surprise to me this year. Everyone talks about the lack of goal scoring, but the D is just as bad and maybe worse. If it weren't for some good goaltending by Theo, the Panthers should have given up even more goals than they have.
I think part of why ellerby is so up and down is he gains confidence and then gets pulled shortly after, He seems to act like it doesn't matter how he plays cuz dineen will yank him as soon as Guddy's back. Hes also never had a good chance to develop with so few games in his career with the panthers. Hes not entirely comfortable in the NHL yet but with more games he would probably become a solid top 4 d-man in a couple years

Old
01-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Sports24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellerbyfan4 View Post
I think part of why ellerby is so up and down is he gains confidence and then gets pulled shortly after, He seems to act like it doesn't matter how he plays cuz dineen will yank him as soon as Guddy's back. Hes also never had a good chance to develop with so few games in his career with the panthers. Hes not entirely comfortable in the NHL yet but with more games he would probably become a solid top 4 d-man in a couple years
It would be a huge mistake to pull him when Gudbranson gets back. There is no way Weaver, Jovo, or Kuba deserve to be in the lineup over Ellerby the way those guys are playing.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

Quote:
It would be a huge mistake to pull him when Gudbranson gets back. There is no way Weaver, Jovo, or Kuba deserve to be in the lineup over Ellerby the way those guys are playing.
Yea but the way it looks Dineen has some favoritism going on, Ellerby has at least gone out and done SOMETHING. I get that Guddy is young and needs playing time to develop but Ells also needs that time, hes never had a chance to really get comfortable because his games are few and far between most of the time

Old
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Erick

Quote:
Yes, it is terrible.

We've allowed a bunch of goals, and I can only think of a couple that could've been considered "weak."

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:04 PM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Yes, it is terrible.

We've allowed a bunch of goals, and I can only think of a couple that could've been considered "weak."
Yep and in Florida's best intrest Weaver should go and Kuli too so we can get a better d-man (not sayin Kuli's not good but there are others out there who are way better than him)