HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League LIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
And Frattin scored at a 45 goal pace in the AHL, as a rookie and sophomore. Does that mean anything to you?
He's not exactly a typical AHL rookie since he was 23 at the time (and he scored at 32 goal pace that year). He's a good AHL scorer, there are a lot of them.

Right now he's getting some good luck playing soft minutes. 3 goals on 5 shots in 3 games... it's not as if he's dominating games and generating ridiculous amount of chances. There are very few players that can score at above 10%.

And to be clear, I don't have an opinion on Frattin. I just hate it when people jump on players because of a hot start that's clearly unsustainable and in no way indicative of their actual talent.

Last edited by Tiranis: 01-29-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old
01-29-2013, 09:08 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Seriously the Penguins are littered with scrubs after their top 4 skaters.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He's not exactly a typical AHL rookie since he was 23 at the time (and he scored at 32 goal pace that year). He's a good AHL scorer, there are a lot of them.

Right now he's getting some good luck playing soft minutes.
Frattin scored 24 goals in 36 games as an AHL rookie - that's a 55 goal pace.

Yeah, he wasn't your typical rookie at 24 years of age but his goalscoring output has been ridiculous for a guy making the jump to pro hockey. He was also lethal at N. Dakota, registering 36 goals in 44 games in '10-11.

How many guys have stepped into the AHL and scored at a higher goals/game clip than Frattin has over the last 5 years? I don't believe it's as common as you think...

This is Frattin's 3rd straight year being 'lucky'.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Frattin is getting luckier, he must be practicing more...

Old
01-29-2013, 09:18 PM
timw33

Damn that Grabner breakaway, very nice. NYI have a good young team—they have drafted very well in the past 5-7 years.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:18 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Minny still sucks as they're tied now with CBJ.

So many 2-0 leads given up today.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Results
Can't Be Argued With

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Cory Conacher is quite the player.
And for those not watching, he actually should have had a second goal to go with his 2 pts. It was disallowed on a very weak call.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
This is Frattin's 3rd straight year being 'lucky'.
so what? it happens.

you say that as if somehow his scoring some goals in the past makes his current, lucky, ridiculous scoring somehow more legitimate. it doesn't. what he is doing now is not sustainable

Old
01-29-2013, 09:52 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

vCash: 50
How has Jonas Brodin looked so far? as good as advertised?

Old
01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
so what? it happens.

you say that as if somehow his scoring some goals in the past makes his current, lucky, ridiculous scoring somehow more legitimate. it doesn't. what he is doing now is not sustainable
Of course it does. He has a nose for the net and excellent shot. That's why he's been able to score goals everywhere he's gone.

Of course he's not going to score 48 goals in 48 games. Don't think anyone has alluded to him producing like the best scorer in NHL history.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Cory Conacher is quite the player.
Yeah, came out of nowhere to be the AHL rookie of the year. Yet another incredible story for undrafted players everywhere.

Wanna bet Milwaukee/Nashville are kicking themselves right now? Amazing how Florida (whose farm team brought him into the A) just finds undrafted talent seemingly like clockwork out of college.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

I'm kinda surprised people are referring to Minny as "stacked" up front. Did they add someone other than Parise?

Last year their forward core was easily in the bottom third in the league talent wise. One player makes them stacked? I am a huge Parise fan but I don't see it. Koivu is a stud, Heatley looks like a second liner and Setoguchi is in a downward spiral. After that you have Granlund and a collection of third liners.

I think Minnesota has a bright future, but I think people have 'new free agents=greatness syndrome' going on here.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Of course it does. He has a nose for the net and excellent shot. That's why he's been able to score goals everywhere he's gone.

Of course he's not going to score 48 goals in 48 games. Don't think anyone has alluded to him producing like the best scorer in NHL history.
if the things he is doing right now are entirely unsustainable to the point of ridiculousness, you can't get anything from it except that he's doing ridiculous, unsustainable things. it doesn't matter who he is

anybody in the league could have the start he does, it just happened to be him. that he has a 'nose for the net' has no bearing on what he's done so far

he might as well have 0 games played and 0 points for all the use the current information is going to give you

Old
01-29-2013, 10:08 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
@Waveburner: About your post on Buffalo - they might be going for the tank this year with all those young centers. Not sure why they would want to burn up a year of Grigorenko's ELC though. Do they really have no other centers in the system to be their 3C if they're going to tank? Luke Adam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
not to mention the pk - Grabner and Nielsen are out there 60% of the time for the Isle on the PK, and they're even. We're -6.

He seems to have taught himself to break up passes at the opportune moment for a breakaway.

edit: also playing with a longer stick probably for that very purpose.
Arniel seems to have taught him well. Always had goal-scoring ability but its good to see he's rounded out his game. Thought he had a knack for anticipating passes and breaking them up in his short stint with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Stacked at forward and good goaltending can overcome a poor defence on paper, Carolina proved that in 2006. And, Suter plays half the game basically, so the D looking like **** is deceiving.
Carolina had a deep blueline though, didn't they? Minny's D outside of Suter is still pretty green and inexperienced. I like Spurgeon though.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardok View Post
And for those not watching, he actually should have had a second goal to go with his 2 pts. It was disallowed on a very weak call.
Yeah it was a pretty questionable call. Theodore barely moved when Conacher shot it top corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Yeah, came out of nowhere to be the AHL rookie of the year. Yet another incredible story for undrafted players everywhere.

Wanna bet Milwaukee/Nashville are kicking themselves right now? Amazing how Florida (whose farm team brought him into the A) just finds undrafted talent seemingly like clockwork out of college.
Conacher isn't a very big body either; he's an incredible story all around. Small, undrafted and then boom, lighting up the NHL. Can he ever skate too; such wheels.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:11 PM
StringerBell

San Jose's top line has 15 goals in 16 periods. That's a higher goals per game than 23 of the other 29 teams had going into tonight

Old
01-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
if the things he is doing right now are entirely unsustainable to the point of ridiculousness, you can't get anything from it except that he's doing ridiculous, unsustainable things. it doesn't matter who he is

anybody in the league could have the start he does, it just happened to be him. that he has a 'nose for the net' has no bearing on what he's done so far

he might as well have 0 games played and 0 points for all the use the current information is going to give you
Are you Talking about Zach Kassian or Matt Frattin?

Old
01-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
San Jose's top line has 15 goals in 16 periods. That's a higher goals per game than 23 of the other 29 teams had going into tonight
Good thing their hot streak is now and not later into the playoffs.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Results
Can't Be Argued With

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
I'm kinda surprised people are referring to Minny as "stacked" up front. Did they add someone other than Parise?

Last year their forward core was easily in the bottom third in the league talent wise. One player makes them stacked? I am a huge Parise fan but I don't see it. Koivu is a stud, Heatley looks like a second liner and Setoguchi is in a downward spiral. After that you have Granlund and a collection of third liners.

I think Minnesota has a bright future, but I think people have 'new free agents=greatness syndrome' going on here.
Yeah, I find it strange as well.

Clearly we have a lot of Pierre-Marc Bouchard fans around here

Old
01-29-2013, 10:45 PM
PG Canuck

Weak goal by Niemi.

Edit: Now 2-1 Ducks!!

Old
01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Weak goal by Niemi.

Edit: Now 2-1 Ducks!!
How did that even go in? I'm watching the Ducks feed right now and the puck was cut off the screen when they showed the replay.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
Brenden Dillon from Surrey. Is he brown??

Pretty cool old-timey uppercuts.
I think you're confusing Dillon with the popular East-Indian surname Dhillon. Great fight though. Those uppercuts

Old
01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
jigsaw99

Manny has a decent top 6 with Parise, Heatley, Koivu, Granlund, Setoguchi, Clutterbuck. All very good players. Their defense isnt very good though.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Are you Talking about Zach Kassian or Matt Frattin?
one is shooting at 60% and the other at 25%. neither is sustainable, but at least one of them is putting shots on net

Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
How did that even go in? I'm watching the Ducks feed right now and the puck was cut off the screen when they showed the replay.
Looked like it just went straight in. I'm watching the Ducks feed too, so I'm not 100% sure either. Either way, that can't go in.

Closed Thread