HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan (2/5: Wearing full contact jersey in practice)

Old
01-29-2013, 11:52 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Well people here are saying he intentionally did it, which is ****ing ridiculous.
Playing too much Mortal Kombat

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Have to assume some kind of move will be made if Cally misses significant time.

Depth was already an issue, though the addition of Ferriero has really been working.

Without Callahan, something has to give. Doesn't have to be a big move but we will need another top 9 forward. Someone who can contribute the way Ferriero has been.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nevesis

Does anyone think Miller would get a call up? Why not?

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Smashinter. He's been playing well since we traded for him. Miller isn't ready yet.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Because he's 19, and hasn't been doing very well in the A, according to scouting reports by people who follow the Whale. He's probably lower on the list of call ups, with Newbury, Mashinter, Haley above him. (Yikes, that really sucks.)

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:55 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Watched a lot of Miller in the juniors. Plays just like Callahan, but I don't think he is ready for the speed of the NHL yet, and he is not big.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:58 PM
NjDevsRR

I dislocated a shoulder playing hockey a few years ago. I did not need surgery but it took me a while to get full mobility of my arm back. Everyone is different with these injuries, it all depends if there was any ligament damage. If it is a minor anterior dislocated shoulder like I had I believe he will need two to three weeks of treatment before he can build his strength up. If it's anything more serious he will be out months.

Bad luck for Callahan, neither were at fault its just bad luck. Hopefully its nothing serious.

Last edited by NjDevsRR: 01-30-2013 at 12:04 AM.
NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:59 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Right now, Pyatt or Ferriero will be in the top-6, that's not good. There's no reason not to try Miller. It's extremely unlikely, but he could potentially play in the top-6, which the other call-ups can't do.
I doubt he's ready, but what downside is there to trying?

01-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Right now, Pyatt or Ferriero will be in the top-6, that's not good. There's no reason not to try Miller. It's extremely unlikely, but he could potentially play in the top-6, which the other call-ups can't do.
I doubt he's ready, but what downside is there to trying?
If you consider one of Pyatt/Ferriero's promotions to be a bad indication of our top 6, I don't see how throwing Miller up there is an improvement.

01-30-2013, 12:04 AM
ltsthinaz

Callahan is a great leader, but he is a 3rd liner playing on the second line. Kreider has more potential as a top-6 guy. If Ferriero can stick, and the jury is still out on that, he can go to the third line, Kreider can play with Nash and Richards, Gabby on the second line with Stepan, barring further injuries and hoping Kreider can make it, we can get by into the playoffs. I'm sure we'll be a buyer at the trade deadline for depth.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
If you consider one of Pyatt/Ferriero's promotions to be a bad indication of our top 6, I don't see how throwing Miller up there is an improvement.
Not saying he's gonna come in and be amazing. I doubt he would, but he could be a Hagelin

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:06 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Callahan is a great leader, but he is a 3rd liner playing on the second line. Kreider has more potential as a top-6 guy. If Ferriero can stick, and the jury is still out on that, he can go to the third line, Kreider can play with Nash and Richards, Gabby on the second line with Stepan, barring further injuries and hoping Kreider can make it, we can get by into the playoffs. I'm sure we'll be a buyer at the trade deadline for depth.
Trade deadline? We're a buyer NOW for depth. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
I still don't like the idea of splitting Gabby and Richards. Nash doesn't need much to create offense. Stick him just about anywhere and he'll make things happen.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:08 AM
16 To Stanley*

Why are we talking about Miller. It will and should be Kreider.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:08 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Trade deadline? We're a buyer NOW for depth. lol
John Scott? (LOL)

Old
01-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Black Aces

Quote:
Gimme a break.

Black Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:13 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I still don't like the idea of splitting Gabby and Richards. Nash doesn't need much to create offense. Stick him just about anywhere and he'll make things happen.
Tortorella likes to mix lines. Play around and see what works. True that Nash can create his own offense (I'd like to see him shoot more though, be a little selfish), but it is still early in the season. The top line didn't do a lot tonight, it was more the grinders.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:23 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Watched a lot of Miller in the juniors. Plays just like Callahan, but I don't think he is ready for the speed of the NHL yet, and he is not big.
He's bigger than Callahan. The dude is 6'1''

Old
01-30-2013, 12:24 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Why are we talking about Miller. It will and should be Kreider.
Obviously, but he still might be a week or two away.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:25 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Rangers should kick tired on Dominic Moore.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:02 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Not saying he's gonna come in and be amazing. I doubt he would, but he could be a Hagelin
Hagelin was 23 last year. Miller is 19. Those are four very important development years there. Miller isn't the answer right now. If the team wants him to be the answer in a year or two, they shouldn't rush him.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:20 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Rangers should kick tired on Dominic Moore.
Trust me, I have little doubt we are kicking the tires on Moore. The problem is, he is kicking the tires on whether or not to play this season and no one is going to rush him or speed up that decision. We should probably deal a third, or even two thirds for a skilled third liner who is playing somewhere where they're simply the odd man out in their lineup. Not unlike the move Phoenix made for Matt Lombardi (I believe the cost was a third; he is potentially a great player for a third). Lombardi would have actually been a great pickup for us. Fast, can play top-six easily in a pinch and can play bottom six quite well as well. Enough grit to easily fit the system. Only issue is possible injury concerns, but for a depth addition, he would have been great at the price Phoenix paid. We may now more seriously consider Tim Connolly who, if Toronto will eat some salary on, now makes a lot of sense for us (he already made alright sense before). I personally do not like Tim Connolly, but that is entirely besides the point; he could help. We should be looking for a move like that though. Not some Dvorak or Langkow or Arnott, bottom of the barrel, past their expiration date desperation move. Look around the league and smartly inquire about forwards who are not on the wrong side of 33, have enough offensive upside to play top-six in a pinch and are simply the victim of two many puzzle pieces in their current lineup.

Edit: A name that came to mind for me is TJ Galiardi. He's fast, hits a lot, blocks a lot of shots and has the potential to put up very decent points. In his first NHL season, a few years ago, he put up 39 points in 70 games (with 87 hits and 43 blocks). The following year he only played 35 games, but put up 15 points, which is a similar pace. Last year he played 69 games but only had 15 points and was traded at the deadline to San Jose (I believe in the deal for McGinn) but he still had 110 hits. I realize 15 points last year isn't that exciting, but a fresh start could get him producing like he did the previous two seasons (54 points in 105 games is good production for a young player) and he's got some very good wheels, hits a lot and blocks a lot of shots, so he would fit right in under Torts. He could fill in in the top six while Callahan is out, which could potentially get his offense jump started and then he would be an IDEAL third liner once Cally returns. He also probably wouldn't cost much considering SJ's depth. We could even inquire about Galiardi AND Douglas Murray and really bolster our lineup.

Last edited by SERE 24: 01-30-2013 at 04:21 AM.
SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:37 AM
TigerJack

I think normal recovery time for dislocated shoulder is about 3 months. Longer if there are more damages, like torn ligaments etc.

Does not look good for Cally.

TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Greg NYR

Mother of god we are a crazy fan base

Greg NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:06 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Guessing there won't be news until tomorrow?

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote