HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
The Couturier Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
What are you going to trade? The only assets of value we currently have either play for our team or is our first round pick. We can't continue to trade first rounders with our prospects the way they are.
I don't want him to trade anyone but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:22 PM
BernieParent

Let's take baby steps before showering the room with pink slips. Put Voracek in the press box for a game. Give the PP a new look. Have a talk with Giroux and see if he's feeling too much pressure wearing the C.

To answer CyborgLindros' question, I think they did overperform given how many young players they had. The youngsters are majorly flat, and the chaos of the lockout and micro-training camp added to it greatly. The elements really are lining up for a dismal season, but one that can be avoided if they start to play like a team.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
well, something has to be done to improve this team or else you will be complaining about this team of not making the playoffs for the next 10 years.
I will? Doing nothing is going to result in them missing the playoffs for 10 STRAIGHT YEARS?!?!?!? Better make a move then!

Quote:
failure is not an option for snider and if these players dont play right, there has to be accountability,
In principle, I agree with you, but we have no one of value or importance to replace them with. As much as I may complain about Rinaldo and Sestito playing over Wellwood and McGinn, switching them around only improves the team marginally.

Quote:
these players are not first overall pics, i dont believe these players are top ten, it's the reason why columbus and la gave them up, look where they are now, they are playing better than the flyers.
So every team needs a first overall pick to succeed? Giroux may or may not be a top-10 player in the league, but you don't need a star-studded team to win in this league.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
well, something has to be done to improve this team or else you will be complaining about this team of not making the playoffs for the next 10 years. failure is not an option for snider and if these players dont play right, there has to be accountability, these players are not first overall pics, i dont believe these players are top ten, it's the reason why columbus and la gave them up, look where they are now, they are playing better than the flyers.
That has never happened in the history of the organization and it will never happen to the Flyers. We are not THAT bad.

The Kings have 5 points. The Flyers have 4. They are victims of a rough start too.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond
I feel the same way sometimes...

Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
he din't have a plan B or even a plan C, more like a plan M
didnt exactly have much choice.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
So every team needs a first overall pick to succeed? Giroux may or may not be a top-10 player in the league, but you don't need a star-studded team to win in this league.
Maybe not first overall, but the trend is that in order to win the Cup, teams needed two picks in the top 5. Of course, in the past 11 drafts, the Flyers were one of those teams.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-29-2013, 10:40 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Wanna bet? lol
We shouldnt trade anything.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Maybe not first overall, but the trend is that in order to win the Cup, teams needed two picks in the top 5. Of course, in the past 11 drafts, the Flyers were one of those teams.
And it's only fitting that those are arguably our two worst first round picks during that time frame, with the jury still out on Sbisa.

I love the Flyers commitment to icing a competitive team almost every year, but sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
I don't even know why I'm bothering to respond.

I will? Doing nothing is going to result in them missing the playoffs for 10 STRAIGHT YEARS?!?!?!? Better make a move then!

In principle, I agree with you, but we have no one of value or importance to replace them with. As much as I may complain about Rinaldo and Sestito playing over Wellwood and McGinn, switching them around only improves the team marginally.

if the team does nothing in the offeason, you are hoping that these players will just come out of their funk?

Old
01-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
if the team does nothing in the offeason, you are hoping that these players will just come out of their funk?
I'm done.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:23 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
And it's only fitting that those are arguably our two worst first round picks during that time frame, with the jury still out on Sbisa.

I love the Flyers commitment to icing a competitive team almost every year, but sometimes you have to take a step back to take two steps forward.
Past 11 years...(just fleshing this out)

12- Laughton (20)
11- Couturier (8)
10-
09-
08- Sbisa (19)
07- JVR (2)
06- Giroux (22)
05- Downie (29)
04-
03- Carter (11)
Richards (24)
02- Pitkanen (4)

Out of 9 picks over the past 11 years, with the jury out on 3 still, that's a deceptive statement lol. Pitkanen's had a nice career even though I hate him...JVR is still a who knows. Downie....he's tough to beg. Richards, Carter and Giroux speak for themselves.

I don't know what my point is.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Past 11 years...(just fleshing this out)

12- Laughton (20)
11- Couturier (8)
10-
09-
08- Sbisa (19)
07- JVR (2)
06- Giroux (22)
05- Downie (29)
04-
03- Carter (11)
Richards (24)
02- Pitkanen (4)

Out of 9 picks over the past 11 years, with the jury out on 3 still, that's a deceptive statement lol. Pitkanen's had a nice career even though I hate him...JVR is still a who knows. Downie....he's tough to beg. Richards, Carter and Giroux speak for themselves.

I don't know what my point is.
Maybe I should have said "two of our worst", but the general point still stands.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:37 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Maybe I should have said "two of our worst", but the general point still stands.
Like I said, I didn't even know my point by the end of it, just wanted to write it all out

Old
01-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Firing Lavi right now is probably a knee jerk move. We have several key injuries. At least a quarter, maybe a third, of our roster are either sophomores going through that famous slump or rookies. Lots of new faces and new lines with zero training camp or preseason.

On top of that, as has been mentioned, if we fire Lavi and hire or promote someone it's not like they'll turn it around overnight. They'll need time to implement their systems, and time is something we simply don't have this year. Firing Lavi won't make Coburn, Voracek, Giroux, etc. instantly stop sucking.

The same goes for trades. What's the point? We can't afford to make trades. We traded a lot of established guys for potential. Giving up on them because they didn't hit their full potential in under 100 games seems like a waste to me. Who can we get who will definitely improve the team and be a sure upgrade over the pieces traded away?

Replacing the coach is a better solution than trading a bunch of guys. However, I don't know that this shortened season is the proper time to do it. The same flaws are present, but there are a LOT of other factors going on here as well.

01-30-2013, 12:10 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Firing Lavi right now is probably a knee jerk move. We have several key injuries. At least a quarter, maybe a third, of our roster are either sophomores going through that famous slump or rookies. Lots of new faces and new lines with zero training camp or preseason.

On top of that, as has been mentioned, if we fire Lavi and hire or promote someone it's not like they'll turn it around overnight. They'll need time to implement their systems, and time is something we simply don't have this year. Firing Lavi won't make Coburn, Voracek, Giroux, etc. instantly stop sucking.

The same goes for trades. What's the point? We can't afford to make trades. We traded a lot of established guys for potential. Giving up on them because they didn't hit their full potential in under 100 games seems like a waste to me. Who can we get who will definitely improve the team and be a sure upgrade over the pieces traded away?

Replacing the coach is a better solution than trading a bunch of guys. However, I don't know that this shortened season is the proper time to do it. The same flaws are present, but there are a LOT of other factors going on here as well.
i agree on some points, but the injuries sustained are not an excuse to STILL look completely disinterested and unprepared to play hockey. Potential has nothing to do with that. There's no system being implemented, it's chaos out there. No one can complete a pass, no one can accept a pass, there's no movement through the neutral zone whatever, everyone looks like they're skating in sand and the decision making is absolutely atrocious at best. that's not a product of injury, because the team was dreadful with hartnell and meszaros too.

i was watching the islanders penguins game earlier between periods, and I'm thinking "wow, the islanders look like '08 red wings compared to us right now". there's guys flying through the neutral zone, making crisp passes, KNOWING where each other are on the ice and looking like they're having fun while doing it.

we look like an AHL team that was promoted to the NHL for a season right now, besides Bryz and Luke Schenn.

the play that Giroux has been giving us is really beginning to alarm me as well. he's shown none of what made him a superstar last season. i've seen NONE of that. he looks like a different player entirely out there.

something is wrong with this team, and if they don't fix it, the only thing they'll be playing for is a lottery pick, and i wouldn't be so irritated with them if they were showing the heart and the fire to compete. i've seen none whatsoever, besides a tiny bit in the game against an equally struggling rags team last week.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:27 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I believe this team will make a push and be in the playoffs, but I also believe that they will not adjust in the playoff when they have to (boston and nj). Lavy is a good coach but he won't adjust when he has to.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

I think its way to early to panic. Yes the play from this team has been mind blowingly frustrating to watch. The Flyers got many career years last year out of several guys. This year its been a constant stuggle offensively. Guys like Schenn and Couturier are just now starting there 2nd NHL season. There is still going to be ups and downs with guys like that. Especially offensively.
I think the guy that they could probably trade is Voracek. Other then that who could they afford to deal? They cant trade Simmonds. Hes one of the few top guys that has played with any balls so far this year even tho the scoresheet doesnt reflect it.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:28 AM
dats81

If this team can't find some sort of consistency - not talking about a winning streak - just a good team effort and not piling up minors every other night, Lavi stays at least till the end of the season.

However, if they move on with this hot or cold approach and look out of gas, Lavi should be pulled 10 games from now because he doesn't get through any more.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:08 AM
BillDineen

Is changing the coach going to make G pull his head out of his +++?

Old
01-30-2013, 02:25 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Is changing the coach going to make G pull his head out of his +++?
I don't know but I feel like if giroux started playing up to his level this team would start to look better. I think we go as he goes.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:53 AM
LuigiStone*

Fire, Fire FIREE FIREEEEE FIREEEEE! ! ! ! !

Old
01-30-2013, 04:51 AM
Psuhockey

Undisciplined penalties and disorganization on the ice are signs of poor coaching. No back checking, mental mistakes, and losing puck battles is on ten players. So IMO you have a poorly run system or players aren't buying in. Either way the coach needs to go. Anyone watching the last 7 games calling for trades thinking any one player is going to fix the team wide slop on the ice is deluding themselves. No player plays 60 minutes. Unfortunately with the compressed schedule, any coaching change would be pretty fruitless as there is no real practice time to institute a new system.

Disclaimer: I don't like Laviolette. His emotional jam act has wears thin after a while. I think cerebral coaches who are calm on the bench like Babcock and Byslma are better.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:44 AM
fibonacci*

You fire from the top down and clean the entire house out. The front office has ruined this franchise with ridiculous "win now" attitudes that has traded away our draft picks for players and strategies that aren't working out. The flyers are almost worse than the Islanders now. Terrible defense, question mark goaltending they overpaid for, and too many 3rd line caliber forwards. Flyers routinely have the worst farm system in NHL because of stupid moves. Now it is really coming back to haunt them.

Last edited by fibonacci*: 01-30-2013 at 05:55 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 06:11 AM
FlyersFan61290

I would let him go. This is not all his fault at all but changed have to be made and he's simply not making them. I wouldn't trade any of the young guys regardless of how bad they've been. I would only considering moving Briere and Kimmo. Everyone else should stay, after all a bad stretch if play ever other year wouldn't get them shipped out.

Closed Thread