HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens re-sign PK Subban (2 yrs/$5.75M) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
FamousTee
Feels Good Man.

vCash: 500
It'll be interesting to really see how things go in 24CH in the locker room. Hopefully they don't take out any parts they don't want us to see involving him.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Bear_21 View Post
I'm so tired of "PK's teammates" to be quite honest.
Josh Gorges needs to grow up and get over himself. All this "team concept" is nice, but talent wins games. And PK is talented. So I just wish he would get over himself.

The rest of the players too.

Not everyone is from Bo-Funk Saskatchewan and grew up on a farm.

Being a leader, as Josh fashions himself to be, is not just deciding "this is the best way" and then acting like it is either my way or the highway. It is being able to deal with different personalities and fostering a team atmosphere with all those personalities.

None of us know how PK is in the locker room, but I am pretty confident in saying he's not a complete degenerate. Time for the players to accept that he'll never be from Bo-Funk Saskatchewan and move on.
So now everyone is a
jerk who can't get over themselves, right? I'll just stop right now. Anyone with reasonable wits can figure out the sillyness of your post.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Very possible that you're right about Subban, and about us fans wanting to believe everyone in the locker room loves each other, when they really don't. PK may very well be the egocentric kid the other guys quietly resent.

If that's the case, it's the job of the coach to keep him in line and the team captain to guide him. I know guys like PK -- very talented, but everything is about them. The good news is that with time they do mature.
It does seem this way (denial)...when it's rumor after rumor after rumor...some of these rumors can be true, and it wouldn't be the end of the world...the coach, veteran players have to find a way to get along...no family is perfect, but Subban is needed in this family.
He can help us get to the Cup (humble bragging rights!).

I've seen Subban on The Hour and he seemed like a major bragger...seemed very cocky/arrogant (and he didn't mind being this way!), but...also had lots of personality, lots of life (really seems obvious he loves his life! and that's great!). I do hope he becomes a bit more humble with time (maturity, time,etc). But, in the end...Subban is a star (superstar potential/sky is the limit,imo)...we need him.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Lars Eller didn't become all bitter and upset when asked about Subban:
''A player of P.K.'s calibre is always welcome in the lineup," said forward Lars Eller. "He's playing a lot of minutes so he's going to be important to us. I'm sure he'll make the team better."
Ok, a few players didn't seem bitter. I don't see how this proves the players weren't exasperated by the media constantly asking about PK to our top players.

If you look at Markov's interviews. You can clearly see how annoyed he is about reporters always asking about his leg. When he's asked about his or other players performances after a game, he acts totally differently. Markov's reactions to his leg is pretty similar to when he's asked about PK. I'm more convinced that he's annoyed at the reporter for the question, trying to sound neutral so that they don't blow things out of proportion.

What does a player gain by publicly showing annoyance towards his teammate? Nothing, just a huge amount of drama that fans inevitably get involved in. That's unprofessional. In a team work, no matter where it is, you talk to your management, to the colleague, somebody inside the organization and you work something out. you don't go out to the public.

Now, who gains by convincing the public that there's drama in the locker room? The media. They get tons of ratings for it, especially in our fan base.

Makes no sens to believe this bull ****. Somehow, now most players on our team are teenagers who can't deal with their **** in more mature fashion.

Please...

Old
01-29-2013, 11:04 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Josh Gorges needs to grow up and get over himself. All this "team concept" is nice, but talent wins games. And PK is talented. So I just wish he would get over himself.

Being a leader, as Josh fashions himself to be, is not just deciding "this is the best way" and then acting like it is either my way or the highway. It is being able to deal with different personalities and fostering a team atmosphere with all those personalities.

None of us know how PK is in the locker room, but I am pretty confident in saying he's not a complete degenerate. Time for the players to accept that he'll never be from Bo-Funk Saskatchewan and move on.
Sorry Bear.

TEAM beats individual talent every time. Every time.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
Ok, a few players didn't seem bitter. I don't see how this proves the players weren't exasperated by the media constantly asking about PK to our top players.

If you look at Markov's interviews. You can clearly see how annoyed he is about reporters always asking about his leg. When he's asked about his or other players performances after a game, he acts totally differently. Markov's reactions to his leg is pretty similar to when he's asked about PK. I'm more convinced that he's annoyed at the reporter for the question, trying to sound neutral so that they don't blow things out of proportion.

What does a player gain by publicly showing annoyance towards his teammate? Nothing, just a huge amount of drama that fans inevitably get involved in. That's unprofessional. In a team work, no matter where it is, you talk to your management, to the colleague, somebody inside the organization and you work something out. you don't go out to the public.

Now, who gains by convincing the public that there's drama in the locker room? The media. They get tons of ratings for it, especially in our fan base.

Makes no sens to believe this bull ****. Somehow, now most players on our team are teenagers who can't deal with their **** in more mature fashion.

Please...
Ok I understand...being asked about PK all the time can be repetitive and annoying, but still...not one smile for Subban coming back...not one nice thing to say?!! Strange, no? Seems very very cold.

I'm a huge huge fan of humble Gorges, but my gosh...he looked so angry and bitter like smoke was going to come out of his ears and eyes when saying ''we win as a team and we do everything as a team...'' team concept this, team concept that, but c'mon...a team is also made up of different personalities...this is the fun challenge of being part of a team/family...you have to work at it...getting everyone to slowly but surely fit into the team's system...but Gorges should let the coach worry about that...of course Gorges could talk to Subban and try to motivate him in following the system but not sure it's all about ''team concept''...there could be more to it than that...Gorges, Markov, and others may just not be happy that Subban is coming back...why is this so hard to face? it's normal for the media to be asking about Subban...annoying but normal! And not being happy with Subban's return could be the truth (looks obvious to me)...but they still have to face it and work it out 'cause Subban is a star dman...and we really really need him. Find a way to balance things out...Subban gets to keep his colorful, loud personality and entertaining style...but Subban also has to follow the TEAM system.
And, Markov will get tired...Gorges and Bouillon are getting lots of minutes... Subban will help everyone regain some energy to save some for the playoffs.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:20 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

None of us know how PK is in the locker room, but I am pretty confident in saying he's not a complete degenerate. Time for the players to accept that he'll never be from Bo-Funk Saskatchewan and move on
+1
and I'm a huge huge fan of humble Gorges (also a huge huge fan of Subban the hockey player/Habs' star dman). I want them to get along or try their best...because subban, markov, gorges, bouillon, emelin, diaz...loving this defense and will love it more when tinordi is fully developed (or close) in a year or two...

Old
01-29-2013, 11:21 PM
FinnHab

PK fanboys still on rampage? Cmoon guys...

Old
01-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I find the whole situation odd.

Gorges and Markov knew that Subban was here to stay when they signed their multi-year deals with the Habs, so it's not like they were blindsided by the fact Subban was going to be their teammate.

I can understand them not wanting to take sides while PK was unsigned but you'd think they would show some sign or acknowledgement or something after he was signed. Same thing when Gomez was sent home, Gionta said something but that was about it.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Ok I understand...being asked about PK all the time can be repetitive and annoying, but still...not one smile for Subban coming back...not one nice thing to say?!! Strange, no? Seems very very cold.

I'm a huge huge fan of humble Gorges, but my gosh...he looked so angry and bitter like smoke was going to come out of his ears and eyes when saying ''we win as a team and we do everything as a team...'' team concept this, team concept that, but c'mon...a team is also made up of different personalities...this is the fun challenge of being part of a team/family...you have to work at it...getting everyone to slowly but surely fit into the team's system...but Gorges should let the coach worry about that...of course Gorges could talk to Subban and try to motivate him in following the system but not sure it's all about ''team concept''...there could be more to it than that...Gorges, Markov, and others may just not be happy that Subban is coming back...why is this so hard to face? it's normal for the media to be asking about Subban...annoying but normal! And not being happy with Subban's return could be the truth (looks obvious to me)...but they still have to face it and work it out 'cause Subban is a star dman...and we really really need him. Find a way to balance things out...Subban gets to keep his colorful, loud personality and entertaining style...but Subban also has to follow the TEAM system.
And, Markov will get tired...Gorges and Bouillon are getting lots of minutes... Subban will help everyone regain some energy to save some for the playoffs.
Because I just don't believe in the mentality that players in the room don't like him. If he was such a cancer to the team and everyone hated him. I strongly doubt Bergevin would have signed him. You could argue that it's none of his business. He should only keep the talent and the team should deal with it. But distractions aren't welcome to any team trying to perform. If he keeps rotten apples in the team, that's his responsibility as well.

If he was really disliked this much, he wouldn't have been signed. Even more so if this feeling is as old as previous seasons. Players have been traded away for less drama than we currently have.

Yes, it's normal for the media to ask about Subban. But the team gets asked about him before and after, games and practices. Everyday, you'd get multiple articles about this. At least one article a day per company is published. Now if you keep going to the same star players on the team over and over, yea, they'll get annoyed. Sure, I bet they would have preferred to have him around since the very beginning. But I just don't buy that players are still bitter about the negotiations rather than still being asked to comment on the situation. Otherwise, with this kind of behavior we would have heard a lot more commotion from players during the lockout.

These aren't adolescents. They know how the business is run. They have to go through with it as well. In some cases it's easier to sign than others.

You want to buy into this media crap about players being bitter about Subban? Go ahead. But you're just feeding fuel to the fire by believing it. I chose not to trust the media in this case. You kind of learn not to after years of them spewing all sorts of garbage to try and make us believe in. Especially when it involves the Habs.

It's not to say I mistrust all reporters. There are some I'll take more seriously. But I won't always buy into it if I feel it's bat **** crazy.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:12 AM
HabsFather
Twitter: @HabsFather

Quote:
Because I just don't believe in the mentality that players in the room don't like him. If he was such a cancer to the team and everyone hated him. I strongly doubt Bergevin would have signed him. You could argue that it's none of his business. He should only keep the talent and the team should deal with it. But distractions aren't welcome to any team trying to perform. If he keeps rotten apples in the team, that's his responsibility as well.

If he was really disliked this much, he wouldn't have been signed. Even more so if this feeling is as old as previous seasons. Players have been traded away for less drama than we currently have.

Yes, it's normal for the media to ask about Subban. But the team gets asked about him before and after, games and practices. Everyday, you'd get multiple articles about this. At least one article a day per company is published. Now if you keep going to the same star players on the team over and over, yea, they'll get annoyed. Sure, I bet they would have preferred to have him around since the very beginning. But I just don't buy that players are still bitter about the negotiations rather than still being asked to comment on the situation. Otherwise, with this kind of behavior we would have heard a lot more commotion from players during the lockout.

These aren't adolescents. They know how the business is run. They have to go through with it as well. In some cases it's easier to sign than others.

You want to buy into this media crap about players being bitter about Subban? Go ahead. But you're just feeding fuel to the fire by believing it. I chose not to trust the media in this case. You kind of learn not to after years of them spewing all sorts of garbage to try and make us believe in. Especially when it involves the Habs.

It's not to say I mistrust all reporters. There are some I'll take more seriously. But I won't always buy into it if I feel it's bat **** crazy.
To be honest when i seen Markov tell that reporter "i am not going to talk about that, i will only answer questions regarding tonights game or tomorrows game" i was relieved. This isn't the Subban show, and furthermore it's important that they divert these distractions in a diplomatic way like Markov did. The focus is the game they are playing, that should be their only focus. Seeing Markov be that tenacious made me proud of him it's clear he has something to prove for this team.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:15 AM
BlackStar

Some of you are worse than the media. A bunch of nonsense talk going on here.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFather View Post
To be honest when i seen Markov tell that reporter "i am not going to talk about that, i will only answer questions regarding tonights game or tomorrows game" i was relieved. This isn't the Subban show, and furthermore it's important that they divert these distractions in a diplomatic way like Markov did. The focus is the game they are playing, that should be their only focus. Seeing Markov be that tenacious made me proud of him it's clear he has something to prove for this team.
Exactly, if this doesn't show he's fed up of these repetitive questions. Usually they ask about the game before and after. But instead, they ask about PK. Enough questions on PK. They didn't want to be involved in his negotiations, why would players want to know? Because it's over... C'mon...

Gorges clearly says he's fed up of answering these questions. Sure he says he's never seen a player hold out. But that doesn't mean he's bitter. He just doesn't really know how to answer the questions about the negotiations: "That's a tough question". And actually seems open and neutral about the whole thing. He doesn'T strike me at all as somebody pissed at PK.

And all about this twitter thing... This is probably the reason why they didn't all spam PK's twitter. So people quit ****ing trying to read into every simple stupid word they say and write. What are they all going to write anyways, "grats PK on coming back"? These aren't people spamming, wishing somebody a happy birthday on facebook. Do we see the whole team spamming the Gals about them joining the team? No. Must mean players feel threatened by their arrival (sarcasm).

Quit buying into this bull ****.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 AM
1UP

Players looked more annoyed at PK questions than not liking PK himself.

And then the media milked the "story".

Nothing new.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:53 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Bear in mind that PK's arrival will coincide with another player being moved out. Celebrating his return is a double edged sword in the locker room. Once everything gets settled, you'll see it sort itself out.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I find the whole situation odd.

Gorges and Markov knew that Subban was here to stay when they signed their multi-year deals with the Habs, so it's not like they were blindsided by the fact Subban was going to be their teammate.

I can understand them not wanting to take sides while PK was unsigned but you'd think they would show some sign or acknowledgement or something after he was signed. Same thing when Gomez was sent home, Gionta said something but that was about it.
Gorges and Markov are respected veterans. Markov means far more to this team's winning and losing than PK (stats back that up). Because of injuries he wasn't in the lineup and PK got tons of ice time.... good for him... I think with Markov's return we can see what a true #1 D looks like once he's matured. PK will eventually be that guy, but he's only been in the league 2 years.

Gorges played on a brutal contract when he first came here. Did his time and was rewarded. He bleeds for his teammates every night, without fanfare.

These 2 are our leaders on the blueline. I think the team is trying to regain a bit more respect in the room. Young players need to know they're role. PK, in saying publicly that he wanted to be paid what he's worth, essentially disrespected his teammates. Markov is the #1 (no doubt about that) and PK says publicly that he should be paid as a #1 (not in so many words, but implied). Gorges is an ultimate team guy and was active in CBA process. By holding out PK put himself not only ahead of his team, but also ahead of all his NHLPA peers. RFA's have little leverage in contract negotiations, this is an integral part of the CBA and is a large part of the reason that UFA's have far greater rights. Holdouts used to be common place, hardly ever happens now.

I think they're all very happy to have someone of his skill rejoin the team. Everyone is well aware of his potential. I think their just setting the stage to send PK a message that he's still not a veteran and needs to have his defaults set to receive instead of constantly being on send. That's what non veterans do.

I hope he can figure that out.

The first thing I'd like to see disappear is that low 5 celebration. It's great to have enthusiasm, but lets try to act like you've won a game before.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:58 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:

If you're right...and I'm voting for you on that 'cause it makes me feel good to think that there is no hatred/bitterness towards Subban...and if you're right (and I'm leaning towards that now!), then...I feel kind of naive for believing that Gorges, Markov...were bitter towards Subbie.

But/and, there are many rumors...rumors are rumors, but when it's the same player over and over again...you have to wonder why it's always the same player, or...I'll just enjoy watching Subban play again for our Habs and forget about all the other stuff (media and rumors!) which just gives us a headache even after winning 4 in a row!!

Go Subban Go!! can't wait to see him again in the CH jersey!! Wedns? probably more for Sat+Sun). I was really really afraid he was going to be traded... huge PHEW!!

Old
01-30-2013, 04:38 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
If you're right...and I'm voting for you on that 'cause it makes me feel good to think that there is no hatred/bitterness towards Subban...and if you're right (and I'm leaning towards that now!), then...I feel kind of naive for believing that Gorges, Markov...were bitter towards Subbie.

But/and, there are many rumors...rumors are rumors, but when it's the same player over and over again...you have to wonder why it's always the same player, or...I'll just enjoy watching Subban play again for our Habs and forget about all the other stuff (media and rumors!) which just gives us a headache even after winning 4 in a row!!

Go Subban Go!! can't wait to see him again in the CH jersey!! Wedns? probably more for Sat+Sun). I was really really afraid he was going to be traded... huge PHEW!!
no rumors, gossips.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:08 AM
DAChampion

I don't know if this is mentioned,

But I think that PK's contract found a loophole in the salary cap.

Due to the shortened season, PK will make almost all of his money in the second year, but the salary cap takes the average of all seasons, and this season counts for 50% of the cap weight even though it would only be ~35% of the salary.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It's a lot to say about nothing.

Nobody said they didn't want him back.

Some vets are just tired at answering PK questions for the last 2 weeks and nothing about current games.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:39 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Players looked more annoyed at PK questions than not liking PK himself.

And then the media milked the "story".

Nothing new.
Pretty much this. the team won 3 in a row and now 4 and all they hear about is PK. I doubt any of them hates him. I met Subban 3 times in a non hockey environnement and I know a few people who talk to him relativly often and he never seemed like the d-bag the media is trying to portray him as.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Roulin

I took a day off from this thread, came back and this is what the discussion is? Gorges being "cold" when asked a question about PK? Really? This is some weak ****.

Old
01-30-2013, 06:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
PK after signing; "I'm glad to get the contract done with. I did not want to be a distraction to this team."

Next day, media comes in after a practice, prior to their game later that night; "So guys... WHAT DO YA THINK ABOUT PK!?"

And players are not supposed to be annoyed here? It's a big story, sure, but you don't open up your line of questionning with PK talk. They're focused on winning hockey games and playing the system, yet they're repeatedly asked about the signing of Subban. Simply put, Markov, Gorges, Therrien, all of them are happy to see PK signed with the team. They just don't feel like talking about him on the day of a game in which they face a team that is coming off a three game winning streak - much like them.

It's the media being the media. Go in there with a purpose, get your soundbyte regardless of the context you got it with and then blow it up the next day - or even the same night - to make it look like PK is coming off as a distraction. If PK is hated by the team and is run out of town, it isn't because of the team itself, the coaching, or the fans. It's the media to blame for this.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
01-30-2013, 06:08 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
PK after signing; "I'm glad to get the contract done with. I did not want to be a distraction to this team."

Next day, media comes in after a practice, prior to their game later that night; "So guys... WHAT DO YA THINK ABOUT PK!?"

And players are not supposed to be annoyed here? It's a big story, sure, but you don't open up your line of questionning with PK talk. They're focused on winning hockey games and playing the system, yet they're repeatedly asked about the signing of Subban. Simply put, Markov, Gorges, Therrien, all of them are happy to see PK signed with the team. They just don't feel like talking about him on the day of a game in which they face a team that is coming off a three game winning streak - much like them.

It's the media being the media. Go in there with a purpose, get your soundbyte regardless of the context you got it with and then blow it up the next day - or even the same night - to make it look like PK is coming off as a distraction. If PK is hated by the team and is run out of town, it isn't because of the team itself, the coaching, or the fans. It's the media to blame for this.
What if he gets into a fight with the Gally's at the first practice?

Old
01-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousTee View Post
It'll be interesting to really see how things go in 24CH in the locker room. Hopefully they don't take out any parts they don't want us to see involving him.
Damn can't wait to see this now!

Closed Thread