HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosh View Post

Sorry, is this the reference where the Sedins explicitly ask to play with Kassian? I see them wanting to train with him. Which is great leadership.

Wanting certain line combos is something I don't see the Sedins requesting.

I remember when Kesler came out with the "I love playing with Higgins" comment, couple of games later, they were separated for the rest of the season.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:06 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Sorry, is this the reference where the Sedins explicitly ask to play with Kassian? I see them wanting to train with him. Which is great leadership.

Wanting certain line combos is something I don't see the Sedins requesting.

I remember when Kesler came out with the "I love playing with Higgins" comment, couple of games later, they were separated for the rest of the season.
Maybe someone could email Gillis and ask him for clarification.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Maybe someone could email Gillis and ask him for clarification.

Clarification on something he never said? Yeah, let's do that.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Clarification on something he never said? Yeah, let's do that.
Nah. On whether the Sedins specifically asked for Kass to play on their line.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Nah. On whether the Sedins specifically asked for Kass to play on their line.

I have yet to see this confirmed anywhere. Do you have a link to vid?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Crows*

Quote:
I think hes a much better fit. But we wont know until Kass is tried with them.
I'm a big fan of burr and kess together. THose guys took the team on their backs in games 6-7 vs the hawks. IF kassian can continue to play this way.. then this could be an epic lineup.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:41 AM
ZenMaster*

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

That is an amazing line-up.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:45 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

Where is Higgity?

Burrows and Kesler together morphs into a great checking like that doesn't produce.

Old
Crows*

Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

It's really hard to imagine that we had sami pahlson....

Old
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
I have yet to see this confirmed anywhere. Do you have a link to vid?
Confirmation that Sedins asked/requested/suggested Kass play with them. It doesnt specifically state that in precise terms. So someone can email MG and ask for clarification if they asked/requested/suggested.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Confirmation that Sedins asked/requested/suggested Kass play with them. It doesnt specifically state that in precise terms. So someone can email MG and ask for clarification if they asked/requested/suggested.

Where is it stated that the Sedins asked/requested/suggested they _play_ with Kassian? I see _train_, but not play.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Where is it stated that the Sedins asked/requested/suggested they _play_ with Kassian? I see _train_, but not play.
I answered that in the post you quoted.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:03 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Raymond-Schroeder-Booth
Higgins/Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

Old
01-30-2013, 01:03 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Malhotra-Lapierre-Weise

You know we have some decisions to make when you forget Higgins.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I answered that in the post you quoted.

As in you don't know, and maybe someone should clarify it with Gillis? That's an answer I suppose.

You and Scurr said that you had heard him say it. Luck 6 countered by saying he heard him say no such thing. I'm curious to know who's right...

Old
01-30-2013, 01:09 AM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Quote:
As in you don't know, and maybe someone should clarify it with Gillis? That's an answer I suppose.

You and Scurr said that you had heard him say it. Luck 6 countered by saying he heard him say no such thing. I'm curious to know who's right...
You aren't simply curious to figure out who is right. You are looking for confirmation that you are right.

At this point it does seem like there was some slight misinformation. However, the information disparity is minimal.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
You aren't simply curious to figure out who is right. You are looking for confirmation that you are right.

At this point it does seem like there was some slight misinformation. However, the information disparity is minimal.

I never claimed they were wrong, not 100%, because I never saw the video. I suspect that they are wrong mostly because I it would surprising to see the Sedins do something like that, so specifically request playing with a certain player, to the exclusion of others.

There's a difference in saying "sure we'd like to play with him too", to "we'd like to play with him only". Doesn't seem like them at all.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
I never claimed they were wrong, not 100%, because I never saw the video. I suspect that they are wrong mostly because I it would surprising to see the Sedins do something like that, so specifically request playing with a certain player, to the exclusion of others.

There's a difference in saying "sure we'd like to play with him too", to "we'd like to play with him only". Doesn't seem like them at all.
Who claimed this?

Old
01-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Who claimed this?

You didn't, but there has to be some exclusivity to their statement otherwise it's just innocuous to say that they would want to play with anybody. The answer would be "yes" to all their teammates. They aren't going to say "no".

Again, it comes down to what was actually said. Since I don't expect to see a video, I'll just dismiss this as nothing more than leaders trying to encourage teammates.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:29 AM
StringerBell

Quote:

The first link is the interview. Direct quote is "We talked in the summer about him trying to play with Daniel and Henrik and they had some interest in that". It doesn't say one way or another who initiated the conversation, probably cause it couldn't make less of a difference.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-canucks/...canucks/latest

Off topic, but this second link is Pierre's speculation on Luongo from last week. Refreshing to hear the opinion of an insider not based in Toronto. Most honest interpretation of the situation I've heard throughout the process.

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=nhl-thatshoc...shockey/latest

Old
01-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
The first link is the interview. Direct quote is "We talked in the summer about him trying to play with Daniel and Henrik and they had some interest in that". It doesn't say one way or another who initiated the conversation, probably cause it couldn't make less of a difference.

Off topic, but this second link is Pierre's speculation on Luongo from last week. Refreshing to hear the opinion of an insider not based in Toronto. Most honest interpretation of the situation I've heard throughout the process.

The fact that Sedins have taken an interest in bringing him over to train with them says a lot. Have they done this with other prospects before?

Old
01-30-2013, 01:41 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
The fact that Sedins have taken an interest in bringing him over to train with them says a lot. Have they done this with other prospects before?
Oh, I don't disagree, and I don't think they have. However that could be because of our, ahem, lack of prospects over their tenure as stars.

I just don't think it matters whether Gillis brought up the prospect of playing with Kassian to them, or if they brought up playing with Kassian to Gillis. Chances are Gillis brought it up because it's his job to be the one initiating those types of conversations with players, but for all we know it could have been during the conversation when they asked Gillis what he thought of Kassian training with them.

The facts remain that they specifically wanted to train with Kassian this summer, and (possibly at the inquiry of Gillis) expressed some interest in playing with him as well. I don't see why the semantic details of their conversation have any bearing on how the lines should play out.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Oh, I don't disagree, and I don't think they have. However that could be because of our, ahem, lack of prospects over their tenure as stars.

I just don't think it matters whether Gillis brought up the prospect of playing with Kassian to them, or if they brought up playing with Kassian to Gillis. Chances are Gillis brought it up because it's his job to be the one initiating those types of conversations with players, but for all we know it could have been during the conversation when they asked Gillis what he thought of Kassian training with them.

The facts remain that they specifically wanted to train with Kassian this summer, and (possibly at the inquiry of Gillis) expressed some interest in playing with him as well. I don't see why the semantic details of their conversation have any bearing on how the lines should play out.

It's the initial post on the topic in this thread that makes that connection. First, that they explicitly asked to play with Kassian and second, the inference on what that might mean for his long-term future on that line. It's the connection that's being called into question, as it should be. But before it even gets to that, one should confirm if they did indeed "ask for" it to happen... which the video does not confirm.

So it's one leap to say that it was asked for, and another to imply what that could mean to line-up decisions.

In the grand scheme, it doesn't matter... it only matters when those two "leaps" are being made with insufficient information.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Who gives a **** how it sits with Burrows? Like I said the other day I dont get this idea that Burrows has some sort of god given right to the position.

If Burrows has hurt feelings too bad so sad.

Its nice to see the that Sedins are taking a leadership role and saying "heres what we think should happen."

I also imagine the Sedins have some sort of mentoring angle on this as well. Something that Kass will greatly benefit from.

Will Kass be the guy on the number #1 line for the whole season? Probably not. Will he go on to dominate the NHL from this moment on? Probably not at this point.
I imagine, as captains of our team, the Sedins would. The Sedins are not coaches, or management.

Quote:

Thank you. While it doesn't matter in principle, I could see this being one of those "rumors" that gets blown out of proportion 6 months down the road. Just wanted to explicitly clarify there is no real evidence that the Sedins approached management and asked to play with Kassian. They asked if they could ask him to train with them (as many good leaders would do for a rookie).

Old
01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Man, I have no idea why people don't like the Sedins. Quality individuals and hockey players

Closed Thread