HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I've just watched a few interviews with him that have always started off with talking about Crosby first and all the connections they both have and he could be Canada's next "Crosby" blah blah blah. I just think that kind of pressure can impact anyone's game, maybe I'm way off
It's pretty silly since they're nothing alike in how they play or what their strengths are. I guess it's good for the media if they can tie him to Crosby somehow.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
arsmaster

Anything new worth talking about?

Mackenzie's mid-term comes out tomorrow.

Want to talk hockey, just not coaching, injuries, PK....that's a bit depressing.

thefeebster? any dark horse guys?

berstuzzi? did you catch that Blazers-Rockets game last night? SOunded like it was a doozy.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

Want to talk hockey, just not coaching, injuries, PK....that's a bit depressing.

berstuzzi? did you catch that Blazers-Rockets game last night? SOunded like it was a doozy.
That Jones guy is supposed to be good.

I just want the 17th ranked team to somehow win the draft lottery. HF would explode.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
01-29-2013, 05:24 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:

Two good friends were at the game and said it was the best game they have been at since game 6 comeback vs Portland last year. That's saying a lot since that game was crazy. There will be no easy route for any time coming out of the West this year.

As sad as it is to report they both said Severson was Kelowna's best Dman...*tear*

Old
01-30-2013, 01:08 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
I have a couple!

Amil Krupic - A swedish D who is consistently ranked behind his fellow Rogle team-mate Anton Cederholm. Krupic already has good size and a late birthday (95-08-15), which i know you enjoy. He has shown gamebreaking ability at lower levels offensively when he plays with confidence. He is the typical smooth skating Swede who has a good first pass, and good shot, which hes not afraid to use on the PP. He's got some high potential. What plagues him is that he is a bit inconsistent defensively. But still a great package for the later rounds where flaws are abound.

Nick Baptiste - I thought he showed some good potential last season, but then started off really slow, so i wondered if he would ever put it together. But the past few months, he has really stepped up his play, improved his all around play, and embraced the 1st line spot left by Leivo. He plays in all situations. He has the speed, physicality, and compete level to succeed as a pro. Battles hard in front of the net and along the wall. And he is playing with confidence now and is looking really good. If we could get him 3rd or later, its good value.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Two good friends were at the game and said it was the best game they have been at since game 6 comeback vs Portland last year. That's saying a lot since that game was crazy. There will be no easy route for any time coming out of the West this year.

As sad as it is to report they both said Severson was Kelowna's best Dman...*tear*
Yeah, I was keeping track on my phone.

Definitely thought Kelowna had in the bag, up 4-2 and 5-3 late in the game. 3 PP goals to tie and end the game, would have been crazy to see.

Everytime I've seen Kelowna this year ( 3 or 4 games) Severson was not only their best defensman, but their best player.

People forget with his birthday, he is still a very young 18years old.

I feel New Jersey got a good one.

---------

They have quite a few defensman eligible this year too, and it is a factory for producing NHL defensman. Not overly impressed with Bowey, seems to have tools, but for me it seems his decision making doesn't match the tool set.

I can't figure out why Wheaton is top 60 on a lot of lists now either, big kid, decent skater, but very little offense. Wouldn't want the Canucks to take him until 4th round at earliest.

Jesse Lees to me is the one I could see Canucks scouts having a liking for. Smallish' 6'0" 180ish, not overly dynamic just a fairly simple game. A lot like Mceneny from what I've seen, just a bit more physical in a smaller package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I have a couple!

Amil Krupic - A swedish D who is consistently ranked behind his fellow Rogle team-mate Anton Cederholm. Krupic already has good size and a late birthday (95-08-15), which i know you enjoy. He has shown gamebreaking ability at lower levels offensively when he plays with confidence. He is the typical smooth skating Swede who has a good first pass, and good shot, which hes not afraid to use on the PP. He's got some high potential. What plagues him is that he is a bit inconsistent defensively. But still a great package for the later rounds where flaws are abound.

Nick Baptiste - I thought he showed some good potential last season, but then started off really slow, so i wondered if he would ever put it together. But the past few months, he has really stepped up his play, improved his all around play, and embraced the 1st line spot left by Leivo. He plays in all situations. He has the speed, physicality, and compete level to succeed as a pro. Battles hard in front of the net and along the wall. And he is playing with confidence now and is looking really good. If we could get him 3rd or later, its good value.
Thanks. Even liked the late birthday comment. Right up my alley.

Surprised me when I looked up Krupic that he was 6'2" after reading you're comments, I had this idea he'd be another Tommernes/Erixon sized player.

Stats make me ask, why would he start in the J-18elite this season, after going up 2 divisions last year after starting in J-18 and putting up almost PPG.

The 4 goals and 9 assists in his 4 games this year speak to that. Any chances he gets called up to the big club? Couldn't hurt, Rogle is worse than AIK (Jensen's team) last I checked. Poor man's David Rundblad maybe?

-------

Baptiste is a guy I had tracked before too (another August birthday ) being a former teammate of Corrado, a former high 1st round priority draft selection with size and speed.

It does seem the opportunity afforded him with the Leivo-Corrado trade has definitely helped. Nice to see being a go-to guy has brought the best out of him.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 PM
BerSTUzzi

Bob's list came out: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9840

What i find absolutely insane about this year is players like:

Klimchuk
Bailey
Duclair
Theodore
Carrier
Kujawinski
Dauphin
Martin(G)
Comrie (G)
Petan (Leading scorer in WHL)
E.Roy

are all rated in the 2nd round right now. That's insane depth and we aren't even going into all the players that are in the 3rd (Harper,Jarry, Subby #3).

Old
01-31-2013, 12:05 AM
thefeebster

Wow, i'm just going over this list now. My first impressions:

-I love Wennberg and should be the 2nd ranked swede, but would i take him 11th overall? I don't think so.
-Burakowsky still in the 1st round? Top 15? Get out of here. They are right that his playing time hasn't been a lot, but he has failed to impress even in his little time there. But i guess scouts see his potential and his likely move to Frolunda next season as a big step for him.
-Give me Nurse over Zadorov. Horvat over Domi.
-Although i don't follow the WHL, i am a bit surprised at Mueller at 21. What are your guys thoughts?
-Bittersweet that Hayden is being recognized as a 2nd rounder. Can't steal him in my mock drafts!
-I agree BerSTUzzi, that 2nd round looks ripe for the picking. Would love to have a high 2nd or multiple 2nds or both! Give me more picks!

Old
01-31-2013, 12:35 AM
crazycanuck

Browsing through the list and 49 - Michael McCarron looks like he could be a beast, he's 6'5 227lbs. Haven't heard anything about him but wow that's a big kid.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:57 AM
ZenMaster*

This is shaping up to be one of the best drafts since 2003.

My early picks for the first two picks:
1st - Frederic Gauthier
2nd - Michael McCaron

Old
01-31-2013, 01:21 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
After watching a few of the games, players I liked based on their ranking are Horvat, Morrisey and Pulock.

In the Q, Morin could be an interesting pick - the guy is huge, mean and has good hockey sense - not sure why he's not ranked higher. I like Gauthier as well but might be too high. In the 2nd round, I'd take Duclair over Dauphin and Sorensen.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:24 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post

1st - Frederic Gauthier
2nd - Michael McCaron
Those are some big boys.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Wow, i'm just going over this list now. My first impressions:

-I love Wennberg and should be the 2nd ranked swede, but would i take him 11th overall? I don't think so.
-Burakowsky still in the 1st round? Top 15? Get out of here. They are right that his playing time hasn't been a lot, but he has failed to impress even in his little time there. But i guess scouts see his potential and his likely move to Frolunda next season as a big step for him.
-Give me Nurse over Zadorov. Horvat over Domi.
-Although i don't follow the WHL, i am a bit surprised at Mueller at 21. What are your guys thoughts?
-Bittersweet that Hayden is being recognized as a 2nd rounder. Can't steal him in my mock drafts!
-I agree BerSTUzzi, that 2nd round looks ripe for the picking. Would love to have a high 2nd or multiple 2nds or both! Give me more picks!

Another thing one notices is top two rounds are very forward focused with a few gem D sprinkled in there. I like Geertsen(van), Jensen( medicine hat), Ully(kamloops), and Houck (van) in the mid-late rounds from the dub

Old
01-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Bob's list came out: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9840

What i find absolutely insane about this year is players like:

Klimchuk
Bailey
Duclair
Theodore
Carrier
Kujawinski
Dauphin
Martin(G)
Comrie (G)
Petan (Leading scorer in WHL)
E.Roy

are all rated in the 2nd round right now. That's insane depth and we aren't even going into all the players that are in the 3rd (Harper,Jarry, Subby #3).

Kujawinski and Carrier are the names the pop out to me. And at 42~ no less!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:18 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post

1st - Frederic Gauthier
2nd - Michael McCaron
I don't think Gauthier drops into the late 1st rd (Where the Canucks should be picking).

The guy I'd be targetting in the 1st rd is Kerby Rychel, 6'1 200lbs, plays a gritty game (not afraid to fight) and has good skills.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
Tiranis

Curtis Lazar is the guy you pick if he's still around and don't even think about it. If not, I like Dickinson and Zykov a lot.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:28 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Curtis Lazar is the guy you pick if he's still around and don't even think about it. If not, I like Dickinson and Zykov a lot.
Agreed, I'm surprised Lazar didn't climb with his recent increase in goal production this past month. Klimchuk in the 2nd would be unreal as he's on pace to break 32-35 goals this year on a shizzen team. I've only seen him twice but he was very shifty and by far their best player.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
Nuck This

Wow Columbus right now has three top 15 picks..........

Old
01-31-2013, 10:43 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Wow Columbus right now has three top 15 picks..........
They have theirs, LA and the Rangers? Jebus they could "potentially" turn their franchise around big time this year.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
They have theirs, LA and the Rangers? Jebus they could "potentially" turn their franchise around big time this year.
I want three firsts. I assume New York and L.A will get better as the season progresses but right now mock drafts have them taking Drouin, Lindholm and Pulock........Ya safe to say they'd turn there franchise around.

I wanna get a first back in a Luongo trade.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:46 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post

Dickenson seems like a very versatile player. I wouldn't mind him at all wherever we pick.

And please waive your NTC for CLB...

Old
01-31-2013, 10:47 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Agreed, I'm surprised Lazar didn't climb with his recent increase in goal production this past month. Klimchuk in the 2nd would be unreal as he's on pace to break 32-35 goals this year on a shizzen team. I've only seen him twice but he was very shifty and by far their best player.
Honestly the late 1st rd looks to be filled with oober competitive players who play games similar to Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler. Lazar, Rychel, and Hartman from what I've read and watched seem to fit this mold.

Adding to the list of big kids in this draft is 51-Samuel Morin 6'7 200lbs Defenseman from the Rimouski.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Honestly the late 1st rd looks to be filled with oober competitive players who play games similar to Mike Richards, Ryan Kesler. Lazar, Rychel, and Hartman from what I've read and watched seem to fit this mold.

Adding to the list of big kids in this draft is 51-Samuel Morin 6'7 200lbs Defenseman from the Rimouski.
This is the exact reason the 2008/2003 draft depth comparisons keep coming up.

2003 2nd rounders:

Weber
Bergeron
Carle
Backes
Howard
Ericksson

2008 2nd rounders:

Markstrom
J.Schultz
Dalpe
Adam
Stepan
Harmonic
Voynov
Josi

Old
01-31-2013, 11:04 AM
crazycanuck

Found an interesting site with a mock draft and a quick blurb about most prospects (so far all the ones I've looked at have a quick scouting report).

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

Mock Draft has the Canucks drafting Todd Bertuzzi's nephew late in the draft, lol.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Found an interesting site with a mock draft and a quick blurb about most prospects (so far all the ones I've looked at have a quick scouting report).

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

Mock Draft has the Canucks drafting Todd Bertuzzi's nephew late in the draft, lol.
i did not know we had two 3rds this year...right the Booth trade

Brett Pederson in the 5th

Closed Thread