HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 11:22 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Actually it's frustrating that we have to downgrade our goaltending because a bunch of people in this market, the media, and even the coach decided that our teams best player should be scapegoated.

I bet you Luongo wins a cup before Schneider.
OR...we're not actually downgrading but moving laterally because we have a younger, cheaper option that allows for more future flexibility.

But hey, everyone loves a good conspiracy....maybe it actually was the fans and the media that "scapegoated" Luongo and forced him out?

Old
01-29-2013, 11:36 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Nobody hates schneider and i certainly don't love Dubnyk, but the fact is; if Dubnyk was here and Schneider was an Oiler, you'd all be driving Luongo out of town for Dubnyk. You could easily throw Bernier or Holtby into the conversation.

Schneider isn't any better than the others (or at least hasn't proven it), it's just all about "whose ox is getting gored".
Schneider has put up better stats than any other goalie in the last two years. That has earned him a chance to prove he can be a better starter than Luongo this year.

None of the other goalies you mentioned can even come close to saying that.

Old
01-29-2013, 11:37 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
OR...we're not actually downgrading but moving laterally because we have a younger, cheaper option that allows for more future flexibility.

But hey, everyone loves a good conspiracy....maybe it actually was the fans and the media that "scapegoated" Luongo and forced him out?
I actually think we are downgrading. I don't think Cory Schneider can play to the level that Roberto Luongo has given us over the past half decade, or what Luongo could give us for the next half decade.

01-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Schneider has put up better stats than any other goalie in the last two years. That has earned him a chance to prove he can be a better starter than Luongo this year.

None of the other goalies you mentioned can even come close to saying that.
But, you do know that he put up those stats while playing for the best team in the league and playing 75% of his games against non-playoff teams. And, while thats happening, it means Luongo is playing a higher than average amount of games versus better teams.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:25 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Actually it's frustrating that we have to downgrade our goaltending because a bunch of people in this market, the media, and even the coach decided that our teams best player should be scapegoated.

I bet you Luongo wins a cup before Schneider.
Downgrade our goaltneding? Where have you been?

Luongo wants to go to Florida where he can toil away on one of the worst run franchises in pro sports. Winning the Stanley cup is the last thing this guy wants to do.

Luongo's playoff numbers have been inferior to his regular season numbers every year of his career. I will take the goalie that performed better in the playoffs than he did in the regular season - in a year where his regular season numbers blew Luongo's out of the water.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
I remember a very disappointing performance by our forwards who, for just one game in the series, didn't bother showing up at all.

You can't win a series where just your goalie and a couple third liners show up.
I agree with the third liners showing up. The first two lines lost faith in themselves. The goalie was a part timer for that series.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Dado

vCash:
TSN now saying Kessel is off the untouchable list. Would we want him?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:49 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Question is, what would it cost.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:52 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Question is, what would it cost.
I have no idea. Would we be interested if it was a straight swap for Luongo?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
I have no idea. Would we be interested if it was a straight swap for Luongo?
Absolutely.

We'd have to unload a couple roster players after that, but adding a 35 goal scorer won't hurt.

We have enough 2 way players as it is.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:55 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Abso-*****in-lutely!

This is player that has 4 30-goal seasons and already scored 82 points in season before he hit 25 years old.

Booth-Kesler-Kessel would be an amazing line. However, I highly doubt he gets traded, he's in a slump right now but given his track record, he will be a Maple Leaf for a while.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Fat Tony

There's no questioning his skill. Would TO let Gillis talk to him first to get a sense of where his head is?

In any case, I think Nonis will get lynched if he doesn't get a return comparable to what they gave up.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
Where do we place Kessel if we ever acquire him? Do you guys really want to see Kesler, Booth and Kessel on the same line? That line would be perimeter shots galore. All other those players are shoot first. Unless they just shoot from the perimeter and crash the net and hope they score. Play Kessel with the Sedins and just plant him in the slot? If Kesler can go playmaker again, then I'd be all for acquiring Kessel.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:02 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Where do we place Kessel if we ever acquire him? Do you guys really want to see Kesler, Booth and Kessel on the same line? That line would be perimeter shots galore. All other those players are shoot first. Unless they just shoot from the perimeter and crash the net and hope they score. Play Kessel with the Sedins and just plant him in the slot? If Kesler can go playmaker again, then I'd be all for acquiring Kessel.
Kessel had 45 assists last season, he is very well-rounded. His goal-scoring ability should not be questioned in any circumstance, if he's a "perimeter shot player", then so be it, he has a 40 goal season ahead of him at least once in his career.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Crows*

If the leafs offered kessel straight up for lu, you would be an idiot not to do it.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:07 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
If the leafs offered kessel straight up for lu, you would be an idiot not to do it.
Luongo + Schroeder + Raymond + 2013 2nd round draft pick for Phil Kessel + Biggs

I think that should do it.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:08 AM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Play him with Raymond and Schroeder on the third line. You would have 3 players who all specialize in speed and can play an awesome North/South game. Schroeder would have more options open on both sides and it would really give us a huge punch with all 3 lines. They would technically be our 3rd line, but would be a 3rd line in name only as they would be seeing about as much ice time as the Sedin or the Kesler lines.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Burrows/Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Kessel
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

We would rotate Kassian/Burrows whenever our top two lines were slumping and needed a shakeup.

Kessel would absolutely feast on 3rd pairing defensemen. I can't think of a team in the league that could roll out a 3rd pairing that would have any hope of keeping up with Raymond/Schroeder/Kessel.

If we have the chance to acquire Kessel for Luongo+, we absolutely have to push all our chips in and go for it. I'd give Luongo + 1 of Jensen/Gaunce + a 1st for Kessel in a heartbeat. Kessel's not even a player I like, but if we could add him to this roster without giving up any significant player aside from Luongo we absolutely have to do it.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:11 AM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Did they say that in context to a Luongo trade, or just in general?

Old
01-30-2013, 01:22 AM
John Bender

Quote:
There is not a snowball chance in hell that Toronto would do that. They won't trade Kadri for Luongo - so they are going to move Kessel? Gaurantee they demand Luongo and someone like Edler if they were looking to do that. They'd want a big piece back for him.

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Is this on the regular loop?

Old
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Kessel had 45 assists last season, he is very well-rounded. His goal-scoring ability should not be questioned in any circumstance, if he's a "perimeter shot player", then so be it, he has a 40 goal season ahead of him at least once in his career.
I'm not questioning Kessel's scoring ability, the stats speak for itself. I was more wondering how a line where all linemates have the mentality to shoot-first, is all.

Quote:
Of course. Not only does Kessel help now, but he helps down the road too, that's if we could re-sign him, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Play him with Raymond and Schroeder on the third line. You would have 3 players who all specialize in speed and can play an awesome North/South game. Schroeder would have more options open on both sides and it would really give us a huge punch with all 3 lines. They would technically be our 3rd line, but would be a 3rd line in name only as they would be seeing about as much ice time as the Sedin or the Kesler lines.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Burrows/Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Kessel
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

We would rotate Kassian/Burrows whenever our top two lines were slumping and needed a shakeup.

Kessel would absolutely feast on 3rd pairing defensemen. I can't think of a team in the league that could roll out a 3rd pairing that would have any hope of keeping up with Raymond/Schroeder/Kessel.

If we have the chance to acquire Kessel for Luongo+, we absolutely have to push all our chips in and go for it. I'd give Luongo + 1 of Jensen/Gaunce + a 1st for Kessel in a heartbeat. Kessel's not even a player I like, but if we could add him to this roster without giving up any significant player aside from Luongo we absolutely have to do it.
As much as I could get behind Kessel being on the third line and likely ripping it up, it's just unlikely he plays there. Second line is probably the best fit, might actually encourage Kesler to pass again.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:26 AM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
I still maintain (purely based on my own speculation) that Luongo will only waive for FLA at this stage. I can't imagine him willingly wanting to go to Toronto. Perhaps this is why Gillis asked for some absurd price from Burke (Gardiner, their 5th overall pick, and whatever else) knowing that Burke would tell him to **** off. I mean, Gillis knows Burke. He knows Burke will either yap to the media or leak it that Luongo refused a trade - if he agreed to Gillis demands only to be rebuffed by Luongo himself........so Gillis keep the price sky high and makes sure no one know Luongo will only waive for FLA. Gillis knows that if it gets out that Luongo will only go to FLA then Tallon has him by the balls.

I think Tallon should do it and will do it. He will thrive in FLA. I think Stephen Weiss and a 2nd rate prospect will get it done. Will FLA do that? I bet the fanbase says no.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:27 AM
thom

Some of these players like kessel and the recently signed hab defenceman are highly skilled but are not overly popular team members.If your leadership is strong these type of players are assets

Old
01-30-2013, 01:31 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
I just saw the segment with Dreger. He said that anything swirling around Kessel is media generated.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I just saw the segment with Dreger. He said that anything swirling around Kessel is media generated.
Dreger is probably just doing what Nonis tells him to say.

Closed Thread