HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Encompassing Winger Acquisition Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 02:19 AM
penzweiser
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Why don't we try to swap tangradi and a pick for Dustin Penner. Not alot to lose but could be huge if it works out.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:22 AM
FDBluth

I have a feeling that Fleury won't be a Penguin at the end of this season. Just throwing it out there.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:44 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I have a feeling that Fleury won't be a Penguin at the end of this season.
I hear you saying that in Leonard Cohen's voice with a backing chorus of angels. Images of Adriana Lima in a severely undressed state, sporting a 'come hither' smile, accompany this message.

Unfair, perhaps. But I am sick of the goofball.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:47 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I hear you saying that in Leonard Cohen's voice with a backing chorus of angels. Images of Adriana Lima in a severely undressed state, sporting a 'come hither' smile, accompany this message.

nothing sick about this imagery. by the way, LC's latest isn't a bad listen.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:12 AM
One87

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzweiser View Post
I think we do whatever it takes to get Crosby a winger. Why we didn't this offseason is beyond me.there were way better options than tangradi and Kennedy lol. So it's time for Shero to help our team out and grab a top 6 guy via trade. I don't care if it takes despres, Sutter and a1st for a guy like Ryan our just despres for seto. Just do your job ray and make this team the best possible team you can with the assets that we have.
They did try. The winger's name was Parise.The guy just wanted to go home.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:13 AM
deakka

Geez, If the pens could have been even remotely succesful in drafting a good winger, or signing one as FA we would have at least 1 problem less to worry about.

How huge would it not be having for example Conacher on the team....
Having a guy on the team on an ELC would be huge because then we could afford a more expensive winger (Perry, Iginla) as well.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Ive said it once. After game like the last one, I will say it again. Am I still the only one, who is missing Steve Sullivan?

Guy was nothing special, but come on! Who replaced him in Top 6? Some combination of Glass/Jeffrey/Kennedy/Tangradi which is changing every shift? Come on

Also, Sullivan was able to run the powerplay. Talk about our PP entries now.

Yes, Im blaming Shero for horrible offseason. Just awful. Its not only Sullivan (he wanted to stay). Its Michalek as well, that return was poor. And after disappointing season we suddenly became much much weaker team, because we only got Glass.

We also miss Staal badly, but I will give Shero a pass in this case. That was the best longterm solution. But we need to bring someone ASAP, after summer like that this team is not a real contender.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:44 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Ive said it once. After game like the last one, I will say it again. Am I still the only one, who is missing Steve Sullivan?

Guy was nothing special, but come on! Who replaced him in Top 6? Some combination of Glass/Jeffrey/Kennedy/Tangradi which is changing every shift? Come on

Also, Sullivan was able to run the powerplay. Talk about our PP entries now.

Yes, Im blaming Shero for horrible offseason. Just awful. Its not only Sullivan (he wanted to stay). Its Michalek as well, that return was poor. And after disappointing season we suddenly became much much weaker team, because we only got Glass.

We also miss Staal badly, but I will give Shero a pass in this case. That was the best longterm solution. But we need to bring someone ASAP, after summer like that this team is not a real contender.
Yeah, the Staal situation was a no-win situation. I actually think we got a better return than we should knowing he did wanna go to Carolina anyway. Too bad we made a questinable pick with the Poulliot selection, but the return was good non the less.

What i dont like is that he went after Parise/Suter, but seemingly no one else. There were a lot of win/win situations on the cheap, Mueller for example. Even if we DID get Parise why couldnt we go after another winger as well?

Old
01-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
What i dont like is that he went after Parise/Suter, but seemingly no one else. There were a lot of win/win situations on the cheap, Mueller for example. Even if we DID get Parise why couldnt we go after another winger as well?
Yeah, there were options, but Shero failed big time. I was initially OK with not re-signing Sully, because I was 100% sure that someone better will come in his place. I was completely wrong. Shero put this team into a big hole this summer and hurt us on a couple of places.

I am not advocating Bylsma and players, they are awful as well. But everything starts with Shero, I think. He put us into the vulnerable position. We are in a win-now mode and still having 11M of cap space. WTF?? This team needs a wakeup call. A big one.

Last edited by Will Hunting: 01-30-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Pigs On The Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
That's the big issue. Shero put all of his eggs in the Parise basket and failed. Hell, Ottawa was interested in Michalek but Shero just wanted to trade him as a cap dump. If we could've gotten Nick Foligno out of that we were dumb to turn that down.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Shero has to do something to fill the hole in the top 6 but it takes two to make a deal. I doubt Anaheim wants to trade Ryan right now. Imagine if they trade Ryan and then Perry walks in UFA this summer. They'd go from having two franchise wingers to none. I don't think they'll trade Ryan until Perry agrees to an extension and I doubt that happens anytime soon.

The types of guys that are available right now are probably Matt D'Agostini types that are probably upgrades but not significant upgrades. Seto may be available but he'll probably be cheaper if you wait for the Wild to fall out of it. He'd probably cost a really good prospect at the moment but Russo speculated they may even trade him for just picks down the road.
I thought the same thing last year.

And, yes, it takes two to make a deal. It also takes a GM who isn't married to 2M third liners and defensive prospects who might do something in three or four years too.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have a feeling that Fleury won't be a Penguin at the end of this season. Just throwing it out there.
I don't see Fleury getting traded. Would take a lot for Shero to let him go I think.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I thought the same thing last year.

And, yes, it takes two to make a deal. It also takes a GM who isn't married to 2M third liners and defensive prospects who might do something in three or four years too.
Exactly... this isn't something that just happened. The lining has bet set for a while now. Bringing in Zib and Martin was overkill but to bring them in for more money than 2 defensemen that just played a HUGE part in winning the Pens a Cup was downright stupid.

We should be talking about Tatar or Silfverberg as a solution to the top 6 right now. Yet in one of the deeper drafts in a while the Pens come away with role playing defensemen and a questionmark. I like DePo and Maatta but this year we get 2 defensemen in the first round again... AGAIN. Are you friggin kidding me? They must have some pretty good weed back in Nashville because this defense, defense, defense cloud of smoke around Shero's head must make Nashville look more than a borderline playoff team every year. If he wants to construct teams like the Preds we better "... throw him into the river and party all summer...".

Since that Cup win the Pens have done nothing but get worse and grow stale.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Yes, Im blaming Shero for horrible offseason. Just awful. Its not only Sullivan (he wanted to stay). Its Michalek as well, that return was poor.
When you move a player and do not want to take salary in return, your options get limited really quick. While I think we might have been able to do a bit better, there's other things higher on my list then *****ing about Michalek.

"Its not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, its as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Yet in one of the deeper drafts in a while the Pens come away with role playing defensemen and a questionmark. I like DePo and Maatta but this year we get 2 defensemen in the first round again... AGAIN. Are you friggin kidding me?

Since that Cup win the Pens have done nothing but get worse and grow stale.
The frustrating part is the forwards on the table at the time he drafted DP. How good would Forsberg or Grig's look playing wing right now? Or even if you didn't keep him for the season, and sent him back... next year or the year after he'd be amazing.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
SherogoesHAM

I think the Pens should try a few things in house first

Bennett-Crosby-Sutter
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Kennedy-Jeffery-Cooke
Dupuis-Vitale-Glass/Adams/Tangradi

Also, lets Crosby cheat on the draws a little more with Sutter.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I really don't see Sutter being moved off the third line C.

Bylsma has always gone for a 1/2/3 punch.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
That's the big issue. Shero put all of his eggs in the Parise basket and failed. Hell, Ottawa was interested in Michalek but Shero just wanted to trade him as a cap dump. If we could've gotten Nick Foligno out of that we were dumb to turn that down.
This isn't the first time. We put all our eggs into re-signing Hossa, too. When he didn't, we had lost a few other guys and we didn't replace Hoss properly.

Shero's off-season track record is abysmal. His in-season trading history is quite good overall, but the off-seasons have been a total mess.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
The frustrating part is the forwards on the table at the time he drafted DP. How good would Forsberg or Grig's look playing wing right now? Or even if you didn't keep him for the season, and sent him back... next year or the year after he'd be amazing.
That almost brings up another problem. With all of these defensemen drafted only Pouliot is a true PPQB. I'm almost OK with his pick just because theres not another PPQB in the entire organization.

There are so many holes in the Pens right now its sickening.

- 2 maybe 3 holes in the top 6
- A PPQB
- A well rounded D
- Toughness
- The system sucks and turns stars into role players. That being said the Pens don't even get pucks deep and cycle anymore. They turn over puck in the neutral zone and high in the offensive zone.
- There's a glut of 2nd pairing defensemen on the way and very little else. Way to much rides on BB.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
WVP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

What type of team would trade for Fleury?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
What type of team would trade for Fleury?
Toronto.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I really don't see Sutter being moved off the third line C.

Bylsma has always gone for a 1/2/3 punch.
And that's really half the problem with Bylsma AND Shero.

What the model should be changed, and neither of them noticed: Best line in hockey (two good wingers centered by the best player in hockey) followed by best line in hockey (two good wingers centered by the best player in hockey).

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
WVP

Good one. But anyone think Fleury has the mental fortitude to survive in that environment?

Fleury for Kessel? Doesn't add any heart to this team but someone that actually knows what to do with a hockey puck to play with Crosby.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
This isn't the first time. We put all our eggs into re-signing Hossa, too. When he didn't, we had lost a few other guys and we didn't replace Hoss properly.

Shero's off-season track record is abysmal. His in-season trading history is quite good overall, but the off-seasons have been a total mess.
Good but limited and increasingly risk averse, especially AFTER the Pens won the cup.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

On the trade board, Dallas (fans) are discussing Morrow and/or Ryder for a combination of Tangradi, Jeffrey, and picks.

Any opinions?

Personally, I think we need some old character guys. Morrow could be like Guerin.

Closed Thread