HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan (2/5: Wearing full contact jersey in practice)

Old
01-30-2013, 03:43 AM
toewsintangibles

vCash: 500
Time to blow the team up

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:38 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by li97 View Post
The rare situation that the labrum does not tear to any extent is when it slides out and right back into the socket without being a complete dislocation. Didn't look like thats what happened.

Look, I hate to be the negative guy here, but if it's a shoulder dislocation, he's going to need surgery either way considering he is an NHL hockey player, and a very physical one at that.

On a positive note, I play very competitive Jr hockey and I have had no problems at all since the surgery. I wouldnt say this is the career ending injury some are making it out to be. IF it is a dislocation and he needs surgery; 5 months is the typical recovery time. Just going from personal experience.
OT, I know, but do you hope you can make a living playing hockey in the future? If so, I hope you will. Good luck to you, and good luck to Cally.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:54 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

its all over!

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:25 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg NYR View Post
Mother of god we are a crazy fan base
Yes, but when you're Captain seriously hurts himself....

01-30-2013, 05:53 AM
MAYO

I'm not prepared to say our season is over like some of you, but this blows! Like some of you here, I as well played this game at a high level, and there is no way that you are going to tell me that Talbot didn't know he was putting Cally in a precarious position. Look at the reply, Talbot had one hand on Cally's shoulder and the other around his wrist and you can clearly see the strain he puts on his shoulder right before they fall to the ice. This was a classic "arm lock" even my wife was yelling at the t.v.!!! Listen, you wrap the jersey in the shoulder area up to keep the other guy at bay and you use your strong arm to throw, you don't leave yourself unprotected by using both hands to grab one bloody limb!! watch the reply, I'm telling you guys, this was intentional.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:57 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
Callahan is a great leader, but he is a 3rd liner playing on the second line. Kreider has more potential as a top-6 guy. If Ferriero can stick, and the jury is still out on that, he can go to the third line, Kreider can play with Nash and Richards, Gabby on the second line with Stepan, barring further injuries and hoping Kreider can make it, we can get by into the playoffs. I'm sure we'll be a buyer at the trade deadline for depth.
Ahh yes, old HFBoards logic. 29 goal scorers are 2nd liners, 40+ goal scorers are 2nd liners, and 60+ goals gets you the first line!

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:23 AM
SnowblindNYR

Geez, you guys are crazy. I jumped to the last page and I was sure that he was out for the season. Then I went back a page and it looks like there's no news. Why not save the doom and gloom till we get an answer?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:33 AM
Crease

My uneducated guess is a dislocated shoulder or separated shoulder. If it was dislocated, and there is damage to the labrum, the first couple of days after are excruciating but then it comes back to Earth. After about a week stationary pain subsides and it's fairly evident whether you can play through it or not. I wouldn't expect a definitive answer in the next few days, unless the MRI shows significant damage. I couldn't play through mine, too much instability in the joint and knife-like pain if I lifted my arm perpendicular to the ground.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:34 AM
bubba5

I'm not worried. Bickel can play forward!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:35 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by filth e mcnasti View Post
Just saw the replay again, I think it's pretty clear that he is ripping the arm out of the socket. I mean I don't see how anyone can defend this guy.

Just when you think these boards couldnt get any worse.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:38 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
My uneducated guess is a dislocated shoulder or separated shoulder. If it was dislocated, and there is damage to the labrum, the first couple of days after are excruciating but then it comes back to Earth. After about a week stationary pain subsides and it's fairly evident whether you can play through it or not. I wouldn't expect a definitive answer in the next few days, unless the MRI shows significant damage. I couldn't play through mine, too much instability in the joint and knife-like pain if I lifted my arm perpendicular to the ground.

Agree with a whole lot of this.

It depends how much damage is done so we'll have to wait for scans. I've seen guys pop their shoulders and they are right after a week or so. Not pain free but it's an injury you can play through. There are also examples where you could miss up to 3 months because of it.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

The thing that worries me about Cally if it is a dislocation is that he sorta kept grappling and Talbot kept pulling until they went down which, from a completely uneducated and speculative POV feels like it could cause more damage than if he just popped it out on a bad hit or something. I've had a separated shoulder but never a dislocation and I'm just saying what I was thinking watching the replay. Would love to be wrong.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
The thing that worries me about Cally if it is a dislocation is that he sorta kept grappling and Talbot kept pulling until they went down which, from a completely uneducated and speculative POV feels like it could cause more damage than if he just popped it out on a bad hit or something. I've had a separated shoulder but never a dislocation and I'm just saying what I was thinking watching the replay. Would love to be wrong.
Once it's out of place, it's out of place. A lot of the times you see glenoid capsule (labrum) damage, it's caused when the arm is being replaced back into the shoulder socket.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Ahh yes, old HFBoards logic. 29 goal scorers are 2nd liners, 40+ goal scorers are 2nd liners, and 60+ goals gets you the first line!
Exactly 29 goals and he's a 3rd liner, by the way he's the heart and soul of the team...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Hire Sather
Still Good Enough

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
If there was good news, we would have heard it last night..

We'll soon find out its probably a season ending injury. We have no depth. Serious trouble.

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:35 AM
NYR Viper

Sucks to see Callahan go down. You had to realize there was going to be an injury at some point. Hope he can be back by 1/2 - 3/4 of the way through the season.

Dvorak anyone?

I am sure Sather is looking around at who else they can pry away from other teams. This is exactly why the Rangers were looking for depth to begin with.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
I'm not worried. Bickel can play forward!
The laugh I needed this morning...

01-30-2013, 07:55 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
The laugh I needed this morning...
Glad I could help.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
nevesis

As much as I love Callahan, and he will be missed, but it's not the end of the world by any means...

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:13 AM
tjs252

It's a tough loss to be without our best two-way forward for any stretch, but as long as Lundqvist and Gaborik are healthy I have to think our chances are still pretty good.

As it was, I felt Gaborik had made a remarkable commitment to being defensively responsible and back checking this year. Now we just lean on the big guys a little bit more.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Im not going to play doctor and guess what the injury is. We have plenty of amateur doctors.

I will say it was fairly stupid for Callahan to drop the gloves in the first place. 2-0 lead, a very timid game by Rangers/Flyers standards, Rangers in complete control at that point. Give Talbot a couple of shots, sure, but why drop the gloves?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im not going to play doctor and guess what the injury is. We have plenty of amateur doctors.

I will say it was fairly stupid for Callahan to drop the gloves in the first place. 2-0 lead, a very timid game by Rangers/Flyers standards, Rangers in complete control at that point. Give Talbot a couple of shots, sure, but why drop the gloves?
Cuz Talbot had already dropped his gloves and was trying to punch Callahan in the face

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:23 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

The Rangers not saying last night means nothing. Kreider took the hit from Orpik. They were off the next day. No report after the game or on the next day. When McDonagh got banged up on the Ference hit last season. The Rangers didn't say anything after the game or the next day which was a day off. Shanahan let the cat out of the bag in the Ference suspension video about McDonagh "not suffering any apparent injury".

The Rangers skate at noon today.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:29 AM
NYROrtsFan

Would think we will hear something today... Usuallly the MRI is on the next day.

Personally I'm just hoping he's not out for the season. Rangers can and will find a way into the playoffs without him, we just need him back to do anything serious in the playoffs.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

I agree. The fact that Talbot was dropping the gloves and starting to go at him is irrelevant, IMO. The play was dead and the linesman were right there; put your arms up to defend your face for a second and draw the penalty, captain. As soon as it broke out, before Cally was down and long before we were left wondering the severity of the injury my immediate reaction was "right, you should really be fighting right now Cally"

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote