HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jeff Skinner slew-foots Patrice Bergeron

Old
01-29-2013, 10:46 PM
The Latvian
#rooster #classless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
'cause Bergeron should be skating in Disney on Ice to avoid the dangerous part of hockey? Okay.
Not saying this particular play is a slewfoot but slewfooting is a cheap play and has no spot in the game. Injuries happen in hockey, it doesn't need to be a dirty play for an injury to occur but there are injuries as a result of dirty plays that should be eliminated. Two weeks ago I saw guy get a concussion from a slewfoot. Should he be skating in Disney on ice? No, other players should show some respect.

The Latvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:47 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
This isn't like his kicking or other slewfoot attempts, but those are why other players and fans have this reaction to him. The kid can act like a spoiled brat at times.
Agreed. But some on HF don't need to fall into the same trap. Skinner is highly talened and would be served to be a silent example of how good he can be. But he yaps and whines and acts like a kid. but there's also video evidence of no slew foot, along with a Super Majority of public opinion.

People SHOULD be able to separate the 2 things. But alas, they can't.

GoCanes2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roooney View Post
Not saying this particular play is a slewfoot but slewfooting is a cheap play and has no spot in the game. Injuries happen in hockey, it doesn't need to be a dirty play for an injury to occur but there are injuries as a result of dirty plays that should be eliminated. Two weeks ago I saw guy get a concussion from a slewfoot. Should he be skating in Disney on ice? No, other players should show some respect.
EXCEPT... THIS wasn't a slewfoot. Don't disagree with your premise on the potential risk of slewfooting, but let's find a different example to illustrate that risk.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
This isn't like his kicking or other slewfoot attempts, but those are why other players and fans have this reaction to him. The kid can act like a spoiled brat at times.
Canes fans will fully admit that Skinner can act like a 7 year old at times, but this reputation that he repeatedly attempts to slewfoot players is so ridiculous.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:51 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsj31 View Post
They both turn to go behind the net, Bergeron is never in front of Skinner. If he doesn't bump him where is he supposed to go? Through the net?
There's always the option of not running directly into an opponent. Like, you know, not interfering with him.

Honestly, if you don't see that play as a bit of veteran interference I don't even know what to say. That's just part of the game, as is going down when being held.

Quote:
Your right, this is getting surreal, as everyone is so convinced that poor little Jeff fell and that it was an accident that they refuse to look at it any other way.
Except I already wrote a long post looking at it another way, that didn't involve crazy accusations of invisible slewfoots.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:52 PM
hopkinsj31

It wasn't a traditional slewfoot, but it was equally as dangerous and had the same affect. Causing an unexpected player to fall backwards by pushing back on his torso and forward on his legs.

Does it need to be labelled to be wrong?

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:53 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
your own words, not mine.
Thus my comment.

Quote:
What pick? (...)
You are blind... willfully so.

Quote:
Patrice Bergeron isn't a guy to make excuses, especially in a situation where there is no reason to make any?
If true, he's not as classy as I thought he was.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:54 PM
GoCanes2013

Quote:
It wasn't a traditional slewfoot, but it was equally as dangerous and had the same affect. Causing an unexpected player to fall backwards by pushing back on his torso and forward on his legs.

Does it need to be labelled to be wrong?
No, you can just be wrong without any labels.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:55 PM
hopkinsj31

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Thus my comment.

You are blind... willfully so.

If true, he's not as classy as I thought he was.
I think something is getting lost in translation here.

hopkinsj31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:57 PM
LetsGoBears

I'm not sure if he was trying to slewfoot him or not. He is cut off, but leg does come up behind Bergeron. Skinner's arm does end up across the chest and it looks like he tries to grab Bergeron's stick too. Both of those actions could have just been him bracing himself, but I understand why Bergeron took it the way he did because it is Skinner in a game they're losing.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:03 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I think something is getting lost in translation here.

Just saw that you wrote "make excuses" rather than "send excuses" as I did.

This is a completely different matter.

If you meant that he won't apologize even after seeing that he was wrong, and that you are right, then he's less classy than I thought.

As for you, once you refuse to admit that he threw a pick (not a major thing as I wrote originally), you're a lost cause.

Hopefully your "lost in translation" is not an excuse to withdraw from this debate without saying "I was wrong".

And no need to reply "But I'm not wrong" as it's obvious that you've closed your mind to that possibility.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 AM
zoodani

I thought it looked like Skinner was doing his usual 10 and 2 trying to squeeze through a tight space. People are seeing him rotate his foot and thinking it was something dirty, maybe?

zoodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:35 AM
dahlenrules

Hard to tell, but Skinner has a rep for doing little stuff like this, so GUILTY!

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

I viewed it a few times and I really like both players... I do not see a malicious slew-foot taking place. Do not see any need for suspension or fines. I can understand PB's reaction as he did get knocked down pretty poorly at the tail end of a game, but I think it was just physical hockey with a tough break behind a crowded net.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:43 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Skinner was protecting himself.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:25 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCanes2013 View Post
So... In ONE move, Skinner beats the BOS guys around the net, stays away from getting tangled in the net, slew foots Bergeron, then Dives to make it look like something else?

Um, okay. Thanks for that.
Did I say anything about a slewfoot? I said he kicks his feet out from under him while diving like he planned it that way. He was trying to come around the net but Bergeron stuck his stick out and then Skinner decided to dive and kicked Bergeron's skate out from under him at the same time. He is known to do things like that. To deny that is just being ignorant of his game.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:29 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
So Skinner dove in order to hide the slewfoot.

Makes sense.
He dove while kicking his skate out from under him, if you want to call that a slewfoot, go ahead, I didn't say that.

I am not saying he should be suspended or anything like that, I am saying that this is not an innocent play.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:38 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
There's always the option of not running directly into an opponent. Like, you know, not interfering with him.

Honestly, if you don't see that play as a bit of veteran interference I don't even know what to say. That's just part of the game, as is going down when being held.

Except I already wrote a long post looking at it another way, that didn't involve crazy accusations of invisible slewfoots.
Are you really saying you don't see Skinner kick Bergeron's skate out from under him?
It is really pretty obvious. It is also pretty obvious that Skinner is diving trying to get an interference penalty called on Bergeron. It is obvious that Skinner wanted it to look like Bergeron pulled him down and that he actually took Bergeron down on purpose.

Whatever you want to call that, Skinner is the reason they both ended up on the ice. How people here seem to be ignoring that fact is beyond me.

I usually think you are a very reasonable person and I usually enjoy your posts but I think Skinner did this on purpose and is solely responsible for what happened, all Bergeron did was a little common everyday interference that is rarely called unless a player dives and Skinner was trying to get a call with his team down a goal.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:37 AM
LarsEller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
Then you're gonna love this

Lol. good job ref

LarsEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:45 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Are you really saying you don't see Skinner kick Bergeron's skate out from under him?
It is really pretty obvious. It is also pretty obvious that Skinner is diving trying to get an interference penalty called on Bergeron. It is obvious that Skinner wanted it to look like Bergeron pulled him down and that he actually took Bergeron down on purpose.

Whatever you want to call that, Skinner is the reason they both ended up on the ice. How people here seem to be ignoring that fact is beyond me.

I usually think you are a very reasonable person and I usually enjoy your posts but I think Skinner did this on purpose and is solely responsible for what happened, all Bergeron did was a little common everyday interference that is rarely called unless a player dives and Skinner was trying to get a call with his team down a goal.
It's the use of the word "kick" that is at issue. Skinner didn't "kick" anything, he was taking a normal skating stride when Bergeron intentionally stepped in front of him and locked him up. The dive/tumble/whatever brought them down, but it was Bergeron's decision to initiate illegal contact and get into Skinner's legs.

I don't see how you can say Skinner was solely responsible for what happened, and in the next breath say Bergeron was interfering with him. One precludes the other.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
It's the use of the word "kick" that is at issue. Skinner didn't "kick" anything, he was taking a normal skating stride when Bergeron intentionally stepped in front of him and locked him up. The dive/tumble/whatever brought them down, but it was Bergeron's decision to initiate illegal contact and get into Skinner's legs.

I don't see how you can say Skinner was solely responsible for what happened, and in the next breath say Bergeron was interfering with him. One precludes the other.
I don't know what you see, but I see Skinner swing his leg so that his skate kicks Bergeron's skate, I see Skinner fall down for no reason at all. Being interfered with doesn't mean you should kick someones skate or dive. I'm not even saying Skinner ttried to slewfoot him, I am saying he dove and tried to make it look like Bergeron took him down.

Even if Bergeron was called for interference it doesn't make diving and kicking someones skate out from under them OK.

I am even willing to go as far as believing Skinner didn't try to slewfoot him, he just was trying to get his legs tangled in Bergeron's legs so they would both go down. But what he ended up doing is kicking Bergeron's skate out from under him.

I don't think he should be suspended or anything like that but I do think it was a very cheap and pretty dirty play on Skinners part and interference on Bergeron's part.

I just don't buy what some people here are selling, being interfered with is not a good reason to dive and kick someones skate out from under them.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am even willing to go as far as believing Skinner didn't try to slewfoot him, he just was trying to get his legs tangled in Bergeron's legs so they would both go down. But what he ended up doing is kicking Bergeron's skate out from under him.
Serious question -- do you think Skinner is supposed to just stop moving his legs whenever Bergeron makes contact with him?

What exactly would you have had him do instead?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
Why didn't he before the ref skated across the ice then?
If it happened at another point in the game he would have. Not worth the 10k fine for Claude and automatic 1 game suspension that comes with fighting in the last 5 minutes of the game.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
It was Seidenberg, and he didn't fall until Skinner hit the ice. So no, that had nothing at all to do with what happened. After looking again, Bergerons stick probably did have something to do with it as it appears Skinner grabs it as he his falling/diving.
I will say it looked like Skinner was trying to draw a hooking penalty on PB after re watching it.

But the fall was incidental, you could say Skinner was trying to embellish a hooking call, but the fall that resulted was incidental.

Metro Misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:37 PM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Bergeron throws a pick, gets tangled with guy he threw a pick on, and complains about a slewfoot? Come on now...

danmcn12 is online now   Reply With Quote