HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers vs Flyers | 29/1/13: Get well soon Cally

View Poll Results: 3 Stars of the Game
Henrik Lundqvist 60 56.60%
Dan Girardi 16 15.09%
Marc Staal 4 3.77%
Michael Del Zotto 87 82.08%
Stu Bickel 2 1.89%
Anton Stralman 7 6.60%
Ryan McDonagh 12 11.32%
Rick Nash 32 30.19%
Brad Richards 4 3.77%
Marian Gaborik 1 0.94%
Ryan Callahan 16 15.09%
Derek Stepan 1 0.94%
Carl Hagelin 52 49.06%
Brian Boyle 4 3.77%
Taylor Pyatt 0 0%
Benn Ferriero 0 0%
Jeff Halpern 2 1.89%
Goon 1 1 0.94%
Goon 2 2 1.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 07:47 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I was much happier with Halpern's game today. He seemed to be rather invisible in all the prior games.
I have a hypothesis that Halpern has been hiding a bit of an injury for a little while. I am not sure anyone noticed this but in the first games of the season they had Rupp taking quite a few face-offs in place of Jeff. Odd for a guy who throughout his career has been VERY good there.

He took quite a few last night and won most of them. He looked very good which is great, they need him to play 7~9 minutes a night to take some pressure off others.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:50 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Agreed.

Torts is a ****ing dick for doing that, especially since he hasn't called out other guys for equally stupid things.
Coaches push buttons to get players going. Some players respond to certain things differently. Hagelin is most likely the type of player who is driven to be better and when someone calls him out, he mans up and uses it as motivation.

I'll trust Torts' judgement on this one considering the Rangers were 1st in the East last year.

But hey, if you want to hate on him blindly, go for it.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Crease

Hagelin and Halpern were everywhere. Nice game for them. Hank looks like he's getting back into a rhythm, which is good to see. Good things seem to happen when our defense get the puck on net. They need to keep at it.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
I'm not really sure how to respond to this. Absolutely ridiculous.
He's not entirely wrong. The guy isn't a great hockey player. He skates worse than some kids I see in pee-wee leagues, isn't strong on the puck, not physical at all, doesn't have great hands.

Certain players just 'have it', Derek Stepan is not one of those players. He might take a little more time to mature (he's still very young), but certain fundamental things about his game/talent will never change drastically (skating, hands/skill)

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Levitate

I think Stepan's skating has actually been better this year. He'll never be a quick skater but he's perfectly adequate at it

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:25 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
He's not entirely wrong. The guy isn't a great hockey player. He skates worse than some kids I see in pee-wee leagues, isn't strong on the puck, not physical at all, doesn't have great hands.

Certain players just 'have it', Derek Stepan is not one of those players. He might take a little more time to mature (he's still very young), but certain fundamental things about his game/talent will never change drastically (skating, hands/skill)
You really don't think Derek Stepan is a skilled player? If so, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*

Stepan doesn't have good hands? LOL what.

He isn't a great skater, he isn't very physical. That's just about where the negatives end.

His brain, vision, and hands are what make him a good player. And at 22 years of age he will continue to get better.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Kokoschka

We are talking about the Stepan who produced 96 points his first two regular seasons, right? I mean, you can't call Zach a bust yet, he has just been drafted.

Last edited by Kokoschka; 01-30-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Kokoschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

96 pts in 2 seasons straight from college 22 years of age

yah some guys just don't have it.

christ

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Speaking of Stepan - this was the first game that I can remember where our forward line with Stepan-Cally duo a part of it - showed some semblance of chemistry and looked dangerous offensively.

Really am upset with Cally's injury - he is this team's heart and he's going to be terribly missed even if his offensive production and PK skill can be replaced.

Girardi definitely deserve a star for last night's effort - I actually went with all defense - G, McD adn MDZ.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Kokoschka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Speaking of Stepan - this was the first game that I can remember where our forward line with Stepan-Cally duo a part of it - showed some semblance of chemistry and looked dangerous offensively.

Really am upset with Cally's injury - he is this team's heart and he's going to be terribly missed even if his offensive production and PK skill can be replaced.

Girardi definitely deserve a star for last night's effort - I actually went with all defense - G, McD adn MDZ.
Agree, Girardi-McDonagh had moments that reminded me of last season. Very solid game.

Kokoschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Foolish Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Coaches push buttons to get players going. Some players respond to certain things differently. Hagelin is most likely the type of player who is driven to be better and when someone calls him out, he mans up and uses it as motivation.

I'll trust Torts' judgement on this one considering the Rangers were 1st in the East last year.

But hey, if you want to hate on him blindly, go for it.
It's not blind hate, and you should know I've defended Torts against his ravenous angry mob. But Hagelin played a great game and you call him out? He didn't have to do that to make him play an awesome game, since he played THIS game great. Seems like Torts just being an ass.

We also got to first in the East playing our 6th d-man 3 minutes a game, which is something I still strongly disagree with and something it seems like we're going to be doing again.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Foolish Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post

...In what world is Derek Stepan not skilled? The world where you can successfully push your agenda that he isn't a good second liner?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Anyone still on the Brayden Schenn hype?

My god this guy is bad.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Levitate

I think he's good but got hyped as the "best prospect in hockey" for some reason for a long time

Stupid to hype a young player up like he was

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Foolish Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Anyone still on the Brayden Schenn hype?

My god this guy is bad.
He's still young.

However, at no point did I ever think he deserved to be "the best prospect in hockey" in the first place.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Inferno

vCash: 857
ive always thought he's an overrated prospect.

a decent player, should be able to score 20 goals in an average year...but nowhere near as good as ppl want to make him out to be.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
toewsintangibles

Torts likes to call out Euro players and Sean Avery

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
And u never hear anything "bad" about Stepan, ever. The guy is a bust, period. Get him out of here and get a guy that can play real hockey.
troll perhaps? Hard to explain the comments other wise.

In any event this kind of thinking...or lack of it...is exactly what can screw a franchise up. When you have people internally who lack any shred of patience with young players.

The Rangers fell victim to this many times. Hard lessons. Currently they are dealing with it better. Short term sacrifice. Long term gain. Big picture.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Antithesis
Eye Test Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
ive always thought he's an overrated prospect.

a decent player, should be able to score 20 goals in an average year...but nowhere near as good as ppl want to make him out to be.
A lot of the hype came from shredding the WJC competition at age 19... it happens with 1-2 guys a year.

Notably, one Derek Stepan did the same thing. For Stepan, a center doesn't need to be a great skater or exceptionally strong. Derek isn't flashy, but please note the kid, at his age is playing top PK minutes for us. He is a solid 2 way center whose defensive play at his age is well ahead of the curve.

Antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
96 pts in 2 seasons straight from college 22 years of age

yah some guys just don't have it.

christ
Kid already has 100 pts.

EDIT: NVM.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
haveandare

Not sure how I feel about Torts calling out Hagelin. I think he was really pissed about the team almost giving away the game in the third and he got a question about Hagelin and sort of went off about it without thinking too much. I have faith in his ability to manage the guys though, he's done well so far. If he can keep Hags hungry and playing like he did tonight, that's fine by me.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Kershaw

Stepan had like 5 gold scoring chances, at least he's making stuff happen out there. Unlike Kreider, I'm not worried about Stepan at all.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote