HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Impact young forwards on the team: Jonathan Huberdeau (19)
Impact young forwards in the system: Nick Bjugstad (20), Rocco Grimaldi (20), Kyle Rau (20), Quinton Howden (21), Drew Shore (22), Vincent Trocheck (19)

Impact young defensemen on the team: Dmitry Kulikov (22), Erik Gudbranson (21)
Impact young defensemen in the system: Mike Matheson (18), Alex Petrovic (20), Colby Robak (22)

Did I miss anybody? Why is the first set of lists considered a necessity while the second set is...not a necessity at all?
The caliber of forwards and caliber of defensemen in the system seem pretty even to me.
You need twice the amount of forwards as you do defensemen. You have 7 forwards listed there, I'll even give you Knight, but that's still only 8 to 5. Plus we have two proven young impact D on the team, and only one prospect at forward.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
AaronEkbald
Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
How many Stanley Cups has Karlsson gotten his team? By that standard neither Lidstrom nor Pronger have the skill set of Karlsson, because neither move the puck the way he does. Brian Leetch comes to mind in comparison to Karlsson that is certainly not the only way defenseman make an impact
Both of you are right. I guess I'm just not willing to invest any more picks in defensemen. Not until we get some 1st-line talent.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
You need twice the amount of forwards as you do defensemen. You have 7 forwards listed there, I'll even give you Knight, but that's still only 8 to 5. Plus we have two proven young impact D on the team, and only one prospect at forward.
How would you project each player listed?

Old
01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
For me, I don't really care about the respective positions. I say go with Jones because I think he's best available. It seems like the people against Jones don't want him at all simply because they very much prefer any comparable forward (which, in this case, would be MacKinnon).
That isnt the case. MacKinnon is projected to go first overall nearly as much as Jones. It comes down to what the organization feels they need more of. Neither one is head and shoulders above the other.

Quote:
I only project Huberdeau and Jugs to be top line material, whereas Kulikov and Gudbranson make up our top defensive pairing. After that, its split pretty much down the middle, but when you consider four remaining spots to 10, a legit top line scoring prospect would make our forward group better than another top pairing Dman would on defense IMO.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
For me, I don't really care about the respective positions. I say go with Jones because I think he's best available. It seems like the people against Jones don't want him at all simply because they very much prefer any comparable forward (which, in this case, would be MacKinnon).
Like I said before, I think MacKinnon and Jones are a wash. I would just prefer a forward at this point in time. To each his own. I'd be thrilled to get either one of them.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
That isnt the case. MacKinnon is projected to go first overall nearly as much as Jones. It comes down to what the organization feels they need more of. Neither one is head and shoulders above the other.
That is my opinion.

Old
01-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
FORWARDS
Huberdeau-1st liner, potential superstar
Bjugstad-1st or 2nd liner
Grimaldi- 1st-3rd liner, considerable bust risk
Rau- 2nd or 3rd liner, high bust risk
Howden- 2nd or 3rd liner
Shore- 2nd or 3rd liner
Trocheck - 2nd or 3rd liner
Knight- 2nd or 3rd liner

DEFENSEMEN
Kulikov-#2
Gudbranson- #1-2
Matheson- Top 4, possible #2
Petrovic- Top 4
Robak- Top 6, considerable bust risk

Old
01-27-2013, 04:51 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
That is my opinion.
Me saying that isnt the case was because you said:

It seems like the people against Jones don't want him at all simply because they very much prefer any comparable forward (which, in this case, would be MacKinnon).

It isnt "any comparable forward," its the top forward in the draft, who many expect to go first overall as well. Just like Markstrom Rules said, Jones and MacKinnon are a wash, and it comes down to who you prefer more.

Old
01-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Me saying that isnt the case was because you said:

It seems like the people against Jones don't want him at all simply because they very much prefer any comparable forward (which, in this case, would be MacKinnon).

It isnt "any comparable forward," its the top forward in the draft, who many expect to go first overall as well. Just like Markstrom Rules said, Jones and MacKinnon are a wash, and it comes down to who you prefer more.
By "any comparable forward," I meant any forward with the same talent level as Jones. I feel like we're saying the same thing.

Jones and MacKinnon could both go #1, but you want MacKinnon because he's the forward. That's basically what I was saying.
From my point of view, I want Jones, not because of his position, but because I feel like he's a better pick. Perhaps safer pick is a better way of putting it. When you watch a guy with Jones skill set and his NHL-ready size (this kid is bigger than a lot of players already and he's only 18...), I personally feel like he's less likely to be a bust.

You can say we need to score more goals, which is true. We also need to possess the puck more, we need a better transition game, we need more size, and we need better defensemen. I don't think position should play a part in the pick, but that's just my opinion. If Dale thinks MacKinnon is simply the best player, I would be cool with the pick, but I hope he doesn't take him because he thinks we need a forward more (assuming we even get the top pick...).

Old
01-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
By "any comparable forward," I meant any forward with the same talent level as Jones. I feel like we're saying the same thing.

Jones and MacKinnon could both go #1, but you want MacKinnon because he's the forward. That's basically what I was saying.
From my point of view, I want Jones, not because of his position, but because I feel like he's a better pick. Perhaps safer pick is a better way of putting it. When you watch a guy with Jones skill set and his NHL-ready size (this kid is bigger than a lot of players already and he's only 18...), I personally feel like he's less likely to be a bust.

You can say we need to score more goals, which is true. We also need to possess the puck more, we need a better transition game, we need more size, and we need better defensemen. I don't think position should play a part in the pick, but that's just my opinion. If Dale thinks MacKinnon is simply the best player, I would be cool with the pick, but I hope he doesn't take him because he thinks we need a forward more (assuming we even get the top pick...).
To me MacKinnon and Jones both have pretty much zero chance of busting. Check out this thread on the prospects forum.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1331509

Old
01-27-2013, 05:28 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Impact young forwards on the team: Jonathan Huberdeau (19)
Impact young forwards in the system: Nick Bjugstad (20), Rocco Grimaldi (20), Kyle Rau (20), Quinton Howden (21), Drew Shore (22), Vincent Trocheck (19)

Impact young defensemen on the team: Dmitry Kulikov (22), Erik Gudbranson (21)
Impact young defensemen in the system: Mike Matheson (18), Alex Petrovic (20), Colby Robak (22)

Did I miss anybody? Why is the first set of lists considered a necessity while the second set is...not a necessity at all?
The caliber of forwards and caliber of defensemen in the system seem pretty even to me.
The problem is that most of our high caliber forwards are centers, we lack quality and depth at the wing.

And MacKinnon is to me a better player than Jones, and will be at the NHL level. We have no highlevel winger. Howden might be a future top6, but not top-line material. Huberdeau feeding Bjugstad and MacKinnon would be absolutely.

And another point, when was the last time a defensemen was taken first? Yes, Erik Johnson. And how did that turn out? Teams tend to prefer to pick forwards in the first round, and if there is a tie, most teams would take the forward over the defensemen. Unless they're in desperate need for a defenseman.

Take MacKinnon!!

Old
01-27-2013, 05:38 PM
AaronEkbald
Lu

Look at our Wing depth..

LEFT
Q. Howden
Y. Kosov
J. McFarland
F. Beauvillier
G. Wilson
M. Lindstrom
A. Delnov
C. Brickley
E. Selleck

RIGHT
Z. Hyman
A. Luciani
J. Hazen
L. Shaw
I. Pakarinen
J. Basaraba

Not horrible, but not ideal either..

Old
01-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Look at our Wing depth..

LEFT
Q. Howden
Y. Kosov
J. McFarland
F. Beauvillier
G. Wilson
M. Lindstrom
A. Delnov
C. Brickley
E. Selleck

RIGHT
Z. Hyman
A. Luciani
J. Hazen
L. Shaw
I. Pakarinen
J. Basaraba

Not horrible, but not ideal either..
Most of our prospects might be listed as centers, but I think it's safe to say some are better suited as wingers in the NHL, to be fair.

Does anyone really think that 5'6" Rocco Grimaldi is going to be a center in the NHL? Heck, as it is, Huberdeau is currently a winger in the NHL, not a center.

Old
01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I think if we had our choice that MacKinnon would be a no brainer at this point in time. Simply because it's obvious we will benefit more having a winger for Huber than a Dman to make that first pass out of the zone. I like Jones and would be extremely happy to have him on our team no doubt but I prefer watching us score goals over a making a good defensive play!

Now, my preference may change by the trade deadline if DT trades Ellerby or Kuli or both for a scoring winger?

Old
01-27-2013, 09:55 PM
FrolikFan67

yes! this is the thread ive been waiting for, looks like i didnt have to wait that long

tallons list will probably go:
1. MacKinnon (weiss is gone)
2. Barkov (weiss is gone)
3. Drouin (we keep weiss)
4. Jones (yea, i have him at 4, kinda like larsson, with those 3 forwards he could fall, just depends on whos picking)
5. Monahan
6. Lindholm
7. Shinkaruk (i hope)

we need offense, perferably a top line center, so i have mac and barkov at the top, drouin is insanely talented, him and huby on the wings would be amazing (he could play center, mac will be in the nhl next season, if he stays in the Q he may be put at center. so thats a possibility).

Huberdeau-MacKinnon/Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm-???
Fleischmann-Bjugstad-Versteeg
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall/Kopecky

i would loveeeeee that! or...

Huberdeau-Weiss/???-Drouin

long term, that would be insane, if we have the 4th, and jones is available, we take him and trade kulikov for offense. but if we have a top pick, like 3rd or 4th, then hopefully mackinnon and jones are taken (well hopefully not mackinnon but hed be taken), leaving us with either barkov or drouin. what i would do for mackinnon, barkov, or drouin....
if we get a solid offensive return for kuli then jones-gudbranson would be sick, and sure wouldnt mind monahan or lindholm either.

draft mackinnon or barkov and sign perry and we'll be set

Huberdeau-MacKinnon/Barkov-Perry
Bergenheim-Goc-Upshall/Kopecky

oh, i would be a happy panther fan with this! haha

weiss at the deadline to chicago for a first, calling it now lol

Last edited by FrolikFan67: 01-27-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old
01-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Howboutthempanthers
No tanking here.

I can't even remember a time when we have had an above average offense. If we somehow get the #1 overall pick we better be picking MacKinnon. If we were picking #2 overall and MacKinnon is gone then yeah, pick Jones.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Honestly I dont hold out any hope for us to get the #1 pick even with how we've played so far. Looking at things, it will eventually balance out and I'm figuring we will most likely be picking in the 5-15 range so that would be where my focus is in terms of looking for players. I think we should be talking about guys like Monahan, Shinkaruk, Burakowsky, Mantha & Erne IMO instead of Jones & MacKinnon TBH.

Although, I've even started looking deeper into the draft for possible gems & good players to take a chance on in the 2nd round (I'm thinking we can net a 2nd rounder in a trade if we make some deals around the trade deadline). There's one player that I wouldnt mind taking a chance on if we do have an extra 2nd rounder as I think that's about where he goes and thats USNDTP forward Hudson Fasching. Definitely seems like a Panther in that he has got character, size and plays like a powerforward (aka goes to the front of the net to score). He's committed to go play at University of Minnesota too which is has obviously a good linkage to our team with Rau still there. I found an older article that was written about him with regard especially to his character so dont be surprised if this kid is a Panther by July:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=6145415

Old
01-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Columbus, Phoenix, and Edmonton won tonight!!

After a weeks worth of watching hockey, I really think we are the worst team in the league right now.

Old
01-29-2013, 01:01 AM
AaronEkbald
Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Honestly I dont hold out any hope for us to get the #1 pick even with how we've played so far. Looking at things, it will eventually balance out and I'm figuring we will most likely be picking in the 5-15 range so that would be where my focus is in terms of looking for players. I think we should be talking about guys like Monahan, Shinkaruk, Burakowsky, Mantha & Erne IMO instead of Jones & MacKinnon TBH.

Although, I've even started looking deeper into the draft for possible gems & good players to take a chance on in the 2nd round (I'm thinking we can net a 2nd rounder in a trade if we make some deals around the trade deadline). There's one player that I wouldnt mind taking a chance on if we do have an extra 2nd rounder as I think that's about where he goes and thats USNDTP forward Hudson Fasching. Definitely seems like a Panther in that he has got character, size and plays like a powerforward (aka goes to the front of the net to score). He's committed to go play at University of Minnesota too which is has obviously a good linkage to our team with Rau still there. I found an older article that was written about him with regard especially to his character so dont be surprised if this kid is a Panther by July:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ott&id=6145415
Whatever position we end up in.. we should draft the best player available.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
AaronEkbald
Lu

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

We're in 1st for the race for last!

This is going to be a piece of cake.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Whatever position we end up in.. we should draft the best player available.
Very true but some of these guys are really close after the top 2. It seems like there is the top 2, then a group of about 4-5 guys and then thats where its all a big grouping of players in my view that are pretty close in the rest of the 1st round.

BTW, Bob McKenzie is gonna be doing the top 30 guys in the draft today at 10:30pm ET on TSN so we should see it online just after that (for those of us not up in Canada).

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=414755
Quote:

Thing is that guys will start returning from injury. So eventually they will start winning and probably win enough to be outside the top 2 picks. I'm kinda thinking we end up around #7 overall.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 439
Quote:

Columbus would have an awesome draft. 3rd, 5th and 11th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
BTW, Bob McKenzie is gonna be doing the top 30 guys in the draft today at 10:30pm ET on TSN so we should see it online just after that (for those of us not up in Canada).
I think we'll find it here within a day.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Gaebriel

If this franchise firstpicks another defenseman I will murder a kitten.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

MacKinnon is a no brainer if we should get the chance choosing between him and Jones. Team's screaming for scoring, and has been for ever. Makes no sense to pick a D, no matter how good he is.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
FrolikFan67

if we took jones at #1 i'd go on a hulk-like rampage

Closed Thread