HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Where are all the people who bad mouthed Bourque?

Old
01-30-2013, 06:22 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Everybody that said bad things about a player playing last year should repent!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Habbadasher

We were just telling the truth, he played poorly last year, this year he is playing much better.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:22 AM
PK76

There's a difference between saying he played poorly last year (which he did) and saying he sucks and should be bought out as soon as we get a chance. The team was a mess when he got here and the coaching staff sucked, everybody should've been ready to give him another chance to show what he could do.

PK76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
There's a difference between saying he played poorly last year (which he did) and saying he sucks and should be bought out as soon as we get a chance. The team was a mess when he got here and the coaching staff sucked, everybody should've been ready to give him another chance to show what he could do.
There is no in between in Habs land, your either good/great or you suck!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabzFanatik71 View Post
Sorry, Bourque's troubles started well before he got to Montreal. Did you not see Kelly Hrudey's weekly ReneReel lowlight presentations? It made it all the more puzzling why a player, clearly being shopped by his team for over a month, had no takers and why our GM was willing to take that mess on.

His soft play continued in Montreal under "fresh start" conditions making everyone wonder just why this player was taken on as a project.

Looks like the criticism has sunken in, Bourque looks in better condition and better focused to contribute. After having the words buy out swirling and under a no excuses regime it seems Bourque has come to play. Thankfully.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
zzoo

Since I haven't had a chance to watch the last few games, I'm sorry to ask you this question: is Bourque really that good (as most of you describe here) ? I'm looking at his stats, and it seems very ordinary. I know that stats don't tell the whole story.

Do you think that he can keep it up ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Sorry, Bourque's troubles started well before he got to Montreal. Did you not see Kelly Hrudey's weekly ReneReel lowlight presentations? It made it all the more puzzling why a player, clearly being shopped by his team for over a month, had no takers and why our GM was willing to take that mess on.

His soft play continued in Montreal under "fresh start" conditions making everyone wonder just why this player was taken on as a project.

Looks like the criticism has sunken in, Bourque looks in better condition and better focused to contribute. After having the words buy out swirling and under a no excuses regime it seems Bourque has come to play. Thankfully.
"Auditioning" for a new coach/management, too, which can't be understated. And I think the energy level of the young bloods/bottom 6 is holding everyone to a higher level of engagement to some extent, as well.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Such a lazy bum! Completely done after scoring only 19 goals last year playing half a year with the worst coached team in Habs history

His terrible play wasn't just under cunneyworth. Kelly hrudey has been going on for years about about bourque's inconsistencies, and how he has all the tools but would appear to not care at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
This

Bourque deserved all the criticism he got last year. Not only in Montreal but in Calgary too.

However this year he seems to be born again. He may be back into his 30 goals scorer form. Time will tell but right now he's playing A1.
Exactly..kudos to therrien to finally getting to this guy and time will tell if he continues this play...but the fact is he **** play like he did not care for huge chunks of his career and during those stints deserved what was said about him. that being said if he has finally turned the corner and continues to care....that is a MASSIVE piece to a contending team. MASSIVE....because he's got it all..and very i'm glad to have this new rene bourque on our team.

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
We were just telling the truth, he played poorly last year, this year he is playing much better.
That wasn't what I had a problem with. To me it was all the garbage about him being finished and useless.

THOSE are the people that look dumb right now. If Bourque plays all season like this he'll get his 30 points and be a very nice asset for the team, and at a low cap hit to boot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Since I haven't had a chance to watch the last few games, I'm sorry to ask you this question: is Bourque really that good (as most of you describe here) ? I'm looking at his stats, and it seems very ordinary. I know that stats don't tell the whole story.

Until last game he was playing really well in terms of being 1st on the puck and driving the net, creating chances for himself and his linemates, but had not yet scored, now that he has one hopefully the floodgates open. He has a background as a scorer, but creating room for Pleks and Gionta to score is just as important. The knock on him has mostly been up and down effort level, so far in 5 games they have all been average to very good, so no complaints. I'm sure at some point he WILL have a bad game or two line anybody else, the important thing is to bounce back and have a good season.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

Pretty good yup, fast, using his body, getting behind the defense, creating a lot of chances.. Just hasn't been burying. It doesn't seem like he's going to slow down anytime soon but who knows he's been inconsistent for a few years.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

i predict 15 plus goals this year

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

I noticed is that Bourque changed his stick in the last game. I didn't like his thin stick blade and apparently neither did he. If I saw correctly, he switched to a stick similar to Cole's (Bauer Vapor with a larger and curvy blade). Maybe that will help him score more goals. One thing for sure is that he is playing some good hockey lately. Keep it up Bourquey .

EDIT : I might be wrong but here are pics I found.

Last edited by Vanek20: 01-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I was one of a few that defended him last year, but I'm even surprised this year, so I wouldn't be surprised in he slacks here and there through out the year.

But the thing is the guy can score, only 1 goal this year, but he is getting chance, and 3.3M on a 64M cap isn't that bad.

Another thing that has helped is Gionta is back, Bourque isn't good enough to be the 2nd best player on a line, last year he played with Plek and another plug on RW, with Gionta on the line, Bourque can be a complimentary guy on the line.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I was one of a few that defended him last year, but I'm even surprised this year, so I wouldn't be surprised in he slacks here and there through out the year.

But the thing is the guy can score, only 1 goal this year, but he is getting chance, and 3.3M on a 64M cap isn't that bad.

Another thing that has helped is Gionta is back, Bourque isn't good enough to be the 2nd best player on a line, last year he played with Plek and another plug on RW, with Gionta on the line, Bourque can be a complimentary guy on the line.
By the same token, having a 6'2" 200+lbs winger opposite Gionta is a nice asset to have.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
By the same token, having a 6'2" 200+lbs winger opposite Gionta is a nice asset to have.
Thing is with this guy is that you never know what you're going to get. He might even have a great 48 games with us and then next year just drop off. You just don't know with this guy.

Like folks have said, he's got all the tools... just needs to have consistent effort and by the age of 31 he should've already learned this. And ditto on the folks who feel that he probably was worried about being bought out. That's a huge motivator as nobody wants to feel the sting of getting fired. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Hopefully they had a long talk with him and told him he's going to be held accountable. I suspect they did and that's probably why he's motivated.

Regardless, he has played well. Certainly better than his stats indicate.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Thing is with this guy is that you never know what you're going to get. He might even have a great 48 games with us and then next year just drop off. You just don't know with this guy.

Like folks have said, he's got all the tools... just needs to have consistent effort and by the age of 31 he should've already learned this. And ditto on the folks who feel that he probably was worried about being bought out. That's a huge motivator as nobody wants to feel the sting of getting fired. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. Hopefully they had a long talk with him and told him he's going to be held accountable. I suspect they did and that's probably why he's motivated.

Regardless, he has played well. Certainly better than his stats indicate.
Bottom line, the Habs got him cheap and don't have a big cap hit invested, so the risk of going forward with him after a good 48 game season and having him flop is minimal. With a cap hit of 3.3 mil, if he was to completely fall apart they can waive him and drop his cap hit to 2.4 mil and buy out the last 2 years in July 2014(with or without cap hit depending on how Kaberle plays out).

Worst case scenario...summer 2014 buyout...4 years at 1.11 mil cap hit. OR trade him and get an asset back by keeping 1 mil of 3.33 cap hit.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Great hindsight in here. I'd love to see a thread praising Kaberle and how he's vital to this team now....And do it NOW....don't wait after he has 1 or 2 points in the next upcoming games...

Point was, is and will ever be about the fact that if players are paid too much and don't perform, they should be bought out so we'd improve our team. So if Bourque would have continued the same way, he should have been considered for being bought out. Though clearly, Kaberle is WAY more in the running for that honor now...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Bottom line, the Habs got him cheap and don't have a big cap hit invested, so the risk of going forward with him after a good 48 game season and having him flop is minimal. With a cap hit of 3.3 mil, if he was to completely fall apart they can waive him and drop his cap hit to 2.4 mil and buy out the last 2 years in July 2014(with or without cap hit depending on how Kaberle plays out).

Worst case scenario...summer 2014 buyout...4 years at 1.11 mil cap hit. OR trade him and get an asset back by keeping 1 mil of 3.33 cap hit.
Yeah right... we got him cheap.

We never should have got him at all.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
He changed numbers that is why he is playing good

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yeah right... we got him cheap.

We never should have got him at all.
Contrary to what you're gonna say, teams were not lining up for a 6 mil 5'9" 20 goal scorer, regardless of his 2010 playoff prowess.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:58 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
One breast or two?
lol I expected this. One goal.

Tonight he's been going after the "Has the puck, misses the net" crown. Chris Higgins better be worried he might lose that crown.

He also decided to go after a puck when a goalie was out of his net, went behind him, and then knocked the goalie over.

Habs MVP.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
lol I expected this. One goal.

Tonight he's been going after the "Has the puck, misses the net" crown. Chris Higgins better be worried he might lose that crown.

He also decided to go after a puck when a goalie was out of his net, went behind him, and then knocked the goalie over.

Habs MVP.
He's one of our guys that's playing well. I'll take all the cahnces, with his shot they'll satrt going in.

That call for interference was a joke, Anderson is the one that got in his way with tghe puck outside the trapezoid.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:06 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
Nobody's defending Bourque's play last year but a lot of people basically treated anyone who even considered that Bourque might bounce back like drooling idiots.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:30 PM
rockjngo

Rene Bourque

Rene Bourque is a new man. He's the Erik Cole this year. I think if he can continue he'll knock down 20 goals again. He's going to the dirty areas and driving to the net. Hopefully Cole will return to his old form and we'll have 4 powerforwards come playoffs (Bourque, Cole, Pacorietty and Eller).

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote