HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Snow north vs Swamp south. 7:30pm

Old
01-30-2013, 06:20 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
Easy. He stopped for the Olympics and he decided not to resume after. Perhaps he was starting to suffer some of the negative effects of steroids and he decided it wasn't worth it any more. He does have the contract after all.

I'm obviously not saying this is definitely true. It just seems to be an increasingly valid explanation for his decline.

If it is in fact true, however, I'm sure Ovie is just as shocked as we are by how far it has made him fall. In fact, I think it could be contributing to his apparent lack of desire these days. The guy is probably pretty crestfallen by all this. He took out an advance on his talents and now he's paying back far more than he bargained for.
Why did he stop for the Olympics? Assuming he took them before, he beat the tests for the Olympics and WC before. 5 times, in fact.

There's absolutely nothing that makes it 'an increasingly valid explanation'.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:25 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
So doping can make you hit more home runs, run faster, bike faster, jump higher, lift more weight etc, but it doesn't effect any hockey related skills? OK pal, who's really full of crap?
i think its fair to say that ovechkin isnt whiffing and shanking one timers because he stopped juicing. barry bonds may have hit more home runs because he was on the stuff but the stuff would have had no value if bonds couldnt already hit. a more powerful swing and a miss is still a swing and a miss. the hand eye coordination doesnt improve.

so...can ov shoot harder on the stuff? yes. does not being on the stuff make him fall down? no. does it make him whiff a one timer? no. does it make his stick handling fail? no.

ov is slower than he used to be. that might be because he's not juicing and doesnt have the leg stride he used to. but he's also heavier, not lighter. his explosion has slipped with the added weight. the weight is from too much vodka and food and too little fitness, not too little ped....imo

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
You know whats funny, is other teams are doing bad.

In fact 4 of the teams in the top 8 didn't make the playoffs last year.

Lets blame Ovechkin. What did Backstrom do though? Getting a secondary assist? BFD.
He could be better but he earned that secondary assist. Watch it again he got trucked in order to poke that puck causing an odd man. Unlike Brouwer who takes delay of game penaltys because the power forward glorified grinder is afraid of a defender ten feet away from him.

Backstrom could shoot alot more. However he is a playmaker on a team with no finishers. Wolski...cmon. We lose to the rangers and they pick up Nash while we pick up thier fourth line trash. Though hes playing well...im impressed with his board work.

Last edited by Capathetic: 01-30-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:04 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Then why would he have stopped altogether to begin with?
If roid talk makes anyone uncomfortable, don't read this.

But that's an easy one.

Olympic testing. Negative publicity. Fear of suspension. Requests from within / team image. Already paid. Fears the NHL may start actually testing in light of it all. Sack shrunk. Yep, a team doctor getting arrested.

There is the awkward timing of the Nagel unpleasantness coinciding with the young guns general collapse. And the teams. Almost to the month.

Can I ask why in the world would he continue in the face of allegations against HIS team?

When players add 20+ pounds in a very short time, it's a story. Unless its one you don't want to hear. We heard nothing about anyone becoming a gym rat. Nothing. No discussions. Yet Flash added 8 pounds chasing trains across Europe and it was talked about here for some time.

Its all wild speculation of course, but PEDs are all over sports and everyone knows it.

I am Dr Hand and think everyone is doping. It takes swallowing the pill of being fooled for 10 years a lot easier. I don't give a rats ass if players do or not but we won't be fooled again.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:19 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ovechkin's weight was 218 his rookie year, and 237 his 5th season. That's not adding 20+ pounds in a short time. That's 20+ pounds over the course of 4 years, and a portion of those pounds were always believed to be bad weight.

As for Flash, it's not difficult, at all, for a reasonably athletic person to add 8 pounds of muscle over 4-5 months with the right diet, exercise regime and legal supplementation (protein powder, for example), let alone a professional athlete.

The PED talk is libelous gossip with no reasonable base other than "he was good before and isn't anymore".

Old
01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
capsfan528

am i the only one who thinks the caps played well last night and defintely should have won..Anderson kept ottawa in the game and they get a flukey goal off the faceoff to tie it. they should be able to build off this game

capsfan528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:45 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
glad to see the ov talk is where it is. i had suggested last season that the caps needed to think about trading him. the answer was a resounding no. that leonsis would never do it because of the revenue 8 brings in.

see it now. ov is not going to be bringing in revenue playing like this. skating with beagle and crabb will only add to last year's benching with a lead from hunter as a constant drumbeat distraction from the media.

its pretty obvious to me that the team is competitive. as they get used to the way oates wants them to play, they improve. they lost in ottawa in a game good teams lose. one bad play followed by one bad ref call on the road followed by a bad bounce on the penalty kill. if they win in toronto, its no big deal.

btw....not to go unnoticed is that backstrom only has 2 assists both in one game. so he has been shutout in more games than has ovechkin.

i dont think ovechkin is interested anymore.

oh and contracts based on performance??? remember the lockout? the nhlpa would NEVER sign up for that.

TX,

In football, they call it the AGS rule....

Simply: on any given Sunday, any professional team is capable of beating another.

That's the nature of the professional athlete.

Hockey is no different. So yes, we'll compete, and we will win our fair share of games.

But the very good teams play 60 minutes: they put out the effort, even when it's game 63 in places like Edmonton at what is midnight to them.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Why did he stop for the Olympics? Assuming he took them before, he beat the tests for the Olympics and WC before. 5 times, in fact.

There's absolutely nothing that makes it 'an increasingly valid explanation'.
The absolutely nothing would be called new advanced testing.

In this day and age, improvements in that field are made every day.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:01 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtcapsfan View Post
am i the only one who thinks the caps played well last night and defintely should have won..Anderson kept ottawa in the game and they get a flukey goal off the faceoff to tie it. they should be able to build off this game
It was the best they've looked all season, thats for sure. Especially down low in the Offensive zone.

Still need some production from Ovie and some more mobility on the back end to get the pucks moving up the ice.

I'll be glad when Laich gets back, just in terms of hoping the lines can be worked out to get some sustained offense going. Or something.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:05 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I watched the first period of the game and was confident they would get the victory with Oates' "lucky" new lineup so I switched channels. But the same issues came to fruition in the end I guess. Blame the refs but look at who took the penalty individually and as a team. Ward took the infamous playoff penalty, ironically highsticking, and the team as a whole is taking penalties. And they are not killing them off at a good pace. Sometimes it's hard to shake a reputation.

Fun fact:

Washington PP: 22nd
Washington PK: 25th

With all of the talk about individual players the special teams units have sunk this team at the beginning of the season. So in retrospect, IMHO, Oates tried to change too much too quickly. The PK'ers could have stayed the same as last year's playoffs when they were stellar.

Blah.......and something else I noticed now the last couple of years is that when things go badly it's time for a benching of the 35 and older crowd. They are the least of the problems - this year and last.

And the talk about OV - I agree with one poster that it borders on libel. But having been a fan (past tense) of Floyd Landis because he's a hometown boy and having seen his fall from stardom I'm not going to bury my head in the sand either. Enter Lance Armstrong.

There is something inherently wrong. Did the Habs in the 2009 - 2010 playoffs just completely demoralize the young guns?

Backstrom, OV and Green with a combined 7 points in six games and a ton of ice time. I'm having trouble with "they need a good supporting cast" theory when that cast is pulling the train.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I'll be glad when Laich gets back, just in terms of hoping the lines can be worked out to get some sustained offense going. Or something.
FedFed is proposing 8-21-90 line to cure our problems with AO.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtcapsfan View Post
They did. However without Spezza who IMO their offense runs through. Gave up two weak goals and every goalie plays well against the caps.

They still cannot finish.

There were many positives in this game. I really liked to see them dominate down low and cycle the puck. If Brouwer were a finisher like Perry ect we would have four goals with all those looks he got. So to me they moved the puck well and found the open guys ESP early in the game.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Yeesh, the Caps have 9 PPGA in 6 games.

One would think the team's fortunes will turn around when that number comes down.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
So yes, we'll compete, and we will win our fair share of games.

But the very good teams play 60 minutes: they put out the effort, even when it's game 63 in places like Edmonton at what is midnight to them.
of course they will win their share. there's a reason they call it the southleast, right?
or did i misquote that?

as for 60 minutes. by that description the caps presidents trophy team didnt qualify as good. boudreau didnt demand it of them...or am i remembering wrong?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Watching the game, I didn't think the Caps played notably worse in the stretch where they lost the lead. Ottawa just took advantage of their chances and the Caps didn't.

Am I remembering wrong?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:18 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
are you thinking that laich back in means ovechkin gets off the beagle line? do you think ovechkin beagle laich would create sustained offense?

personally, i thought we got off this ov doesnt get to play offense crap when hunter left. its like its the only part of hunterhockey that remains.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:19 AM
BTCG

Quote:
of course they will win their share. there's a reason they call it the southleast, right?
or did i misquote that?

as for 60 minutes. by that description the caps presidents trophy team didnt qualify as good. boudreau didnt demand it of them...or am i remembering wrong?
IMO... the PT meant nothing.

It's the taking of the next step, and we regressed.

You can only celebrate hollow victories for so long.

It was Leo Durocher who said: "If winning isn't everything.... why do they keep score?"

Old
01-30-2013, 08:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I can't recall if it was Locker or Joe B. that said it last night, but the thinking of putting Ovechkin on the Beagle-Crabb line was to get him to play more of a North-South game.

I can see some merit to that. It might help improve Ovechkin's game in the long run, but I don't think it helps the team win in the short term.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 01-30-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 08:22 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Watching the game, I didn't think the Caps played notably worse in the stretch where they lost the lead. Ottawa just took advantage of their chances and the Caps didn't.

Am I remembering wrong?
Yep.

Watch the D closer: Carlson is always behind the play, and Neuvy relaxed after we won the faceoff... which enabled the tying goal.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingCapsFan View Post
This has been going on for years.

"It a post-Olympics slump"......"He's saving himself for the playoffs"......."He has an undisclosed injury"......."He's just getting bad bounces and bad breaks"..........."He'll break out of the slump at any moment".

The fact is.........he is done. Trade him for a bag of pucks. Buy him out. Whatever. Just get him off the team and move on. He is the worst player on the ice. Watch the games. He is the worst player on the ice.

For the team to improve............to contend........they have to move beyone the Ovechkin era.
right on.

the caps are completely and utterly screwed by the looks of it. a GM who just doesnt get it, but keeping his job thru some good moves here and there, and a $10m franchise player who's bringing the offense of a 4th liner and the defense of a traffic light.

Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
are you thinking that laich back in means ovechkin gets off the beagle line? do you think ovechkin beagle laich would create sustained offense?

personally, i thought we got off this ov doesnt get to play offense crap when hunter left. its like its the only part of hunterhockey that remains.
I hoping that with Laich back, it will move Ovie with Riberio.

Ovie - Riberio -
Wolski - Backstrom - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich - Ward
Hendericks - Beagle - Crabb

I have no idea who plays on the RW though.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
FedFed is proposing 8-21-90 line to cure our problems with AO.
uhh... we've seen it before and it's not good. laich is not skilled enough and mojo just sucks **** so..

Old
01-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

honestly, the discussion at this point should be not who to put with ovi, but where to bury ovi while a capable top 6 is figured out.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:29 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Moral Victory for Sure

Lose 10 is Cool

Hours before earning his first win as an NHL head coach, Adam Oates told his players that if they played the way they did in their 3-2 overtime loss to the New Jersey Devils Friday night, he would take 10 losses in a row.

“Because it will turn one time and then we won’t lose.”

Frankly I thought they were worse against NJ than Buffalo. NJ is a game Neuvy stole a point when Kovy delayed at succeeding.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
honestly, the discussion at this point should be not who to put with ovi, but where to bury ovi while a capable top 6 is figured out.
enter 8-21-90

what we do have now is some dysfunctional line of AO-JB-JC.

making something like MH-JB-JC we will get good 3/4 line with identity

JC-MR-JW is good now, WW-NB-TB also making plays and getting chances

so it's just a change from highly useless line of MH-MP-EF to AO-BL-MJ. that's a 4th line for you )) not bad, right?

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote