HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The type of mistakes we make.......

Old
01-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Victory5

vCash: 500
The type of mistakes we make.......

.....are caused by not playing together, or at all for a while.

This team has been guilty of all of the following

-bad decisions with the puck
-bad turnovers
-running into eachother ie players dont know where to go
-no creativity
-no confidence in their play

Ive played hockey for over a decade and to be honest, watching the flyers play feels like going to the first practice of the season. youre out there for the first time, everyone is a little unsure and people make bad mistakes. I'm sure anyone who has played the game understands this.

How do you fix it? Practice, and thats really the only way. There is no reason a team with this much talent should be playing this poorly. Lavy needs to get these guys going hard in practice, or else were going to keep losing.

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:47 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Well, they can't practice too much in a condensed schedule. They'll wear themselves out. They gotta play a lot of games in a short span. It's a young team. Even with all their talent you have to come to expect struggles like this. Everything will click eventually. This is only the 2nd year of this youth movement. Maybe they won't start to play well until it's a little too late but that's just one of the things that sucks about the shortened season; not much time too figure it all out.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:05 PM
BernieParent

The sophomore slumps seem to be amplified by the shortened season, and the offense is out of sync. The PP is horribly weak and way too obvious; they need to toss out the current "system" and start from scratch. 2 men in front of the net leaves too few pass options towards the net, and only Timonen has a decent shot from the point. The forwards seemed to be better in their defensive role, but again on the Callahan goal, it was 2 Rangers on Bryzgalov. Even the breakouts seem tentative.

Perhaps the new more defensive approach has neutered the offense. In any case, it's looking pretty dire, but anything can happen. And if this season just goes into the toilet, it's a good draft year.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Honestly, I'm not too concerned if we have a crap year this year.

Stay calm and carry on...this means you Snider and Holmgren.

Don't fire Lavi. Don't trade your 1st round pick.

Sit on it a bit and wait to see what happens. You have a young team, on a shortened season, when most of your young guys have been all over the world map already this year, you've bit hit by the injury bug hard and early...

But your goaltending is looking up. Your young defensemen Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann are doing great things. You know you have a forward core in tact, you've seen it already. You have depth and youth going forward.

If we don't make the playoffs, then we draft high and chalk this season off. I'm good. Let the kids learn.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:26 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Sit on it a bit and wait to see what happens. You have a young team, on a shortened season, when most of your young guys have been all over the world map already this year, you've bit hit by the injury bug hard and early...

But your goaltending is looking up. Your young defensemen Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann are doing great things. You know you have a forward core in tact, you've seen it already. You have depth and youth going forward.

If we don't make the playoffs, then we draft high and chalk this season off. I'm good. Let the kids learn.
exactly this.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
exactly this.
Hell, if we're going to suck, might as well be rewarded.

Simmonds - Giroux - Read
Hartnell - Couturier - Schenn
Briere - Laughton - Voracek
Talbot - Cousins - Rinaldo/McGinn/Wellwood

Timonen - Schenn
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - Jones

Bryzgalov
Leighton

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:30 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

If you look around the league, the teams who are experiencing the most success are those who have been rolling the same lines since last year. STL, CHI, SJ top 2 lines are primarily the same this year.

Our lines have been radically different since Game 1. No one knows where to be, so there's no quick anticipation to the puck and no creativity. Everyone still looks like they're in pre- season form sans Bryz.

Don't panic, don't fire Peter, don't make ridiculous trades. This team needs time to grow and build mental toughness.

We probably won't get out of the first or 2nd round but we shouldn't be expecting more than that right now when you take a look at how far other teams have passed us by.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Unstable

Yup, panic would be a mistake. Everything about this season is different from normal seasons:

-No offseason minicamps
-Hardly any training camp
-Fewer off days in the season
-Shorter season meaning more pressure to be good rightthisinstantorelse
-Greater %age of tough divisional games
-No low-pressure games against the West

Anything that happens this season, I blame the lockout, take the draft pick, and move on.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

I agree. I'm not willing to throw the towel in yet (we're more than 1/8th through the season already) but I'm not going to be entirely disappointed if we suck this season, especially with how good the draft is. Plus, if we can dish Timonen at the deadline and MAYBE Briere for some more picks + cap space, we could set ourselves up nice. Seems like such a fluke season after all.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I'm not worried about Homer. Homer hasn't panicked in the past.

Snider? Not so sure.

01-30-2013, 06:42 AM
dawkins121

Quote:

Yeah I would much rather they just grit their teetch and bear out the shortened season as a learning experience for the young guys and Giroux as captain then make a major change.

Keep all your picks and young players, amnesty Briere and see what you can do with the 13m that he and Timonen open up. There's still a solid foundation here, just need to fill the cracks in a little smarter.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:18 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
.....are caused by not playing together, or at all for a while.

This team has been guilty of all of the following

-bad decisions with the puck
-bad turnovers
-running into eachother ie players dont know where to go
-no creativity
-no confidence in their play

Ive played hockey for over a decade and to be honest, watching the flyers play feels like going to the first practice of the season. youre out there for the first time, everyone is a little unsure and people make bad mistakes. I'm sure anyone who has played the game understands this.

How do you fix it? Practice, and thats really the only way. There is no reason a team with this much talent should be playing this poorly. Lavy needs to get these guys going hard in practice, or else were going to keep losing.
I'll add soft on pucks and sloppy passing to your list.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

How long until we trade Giroux?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I wouldn't be concerned going forward if the flyers were at the bottom of the tables this year, i just don't want to have a crap year, no fun.

Plus i feel its even more rewarding if you can win without having to have bad seasons and stack up on top 5 picks to get good *cough* penguins *cough*

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
SAINDON

If I remember the first Rangers goal correctly, Briere did a horrible job at clearing the puck last night. He kept wrapping the puck around the boards to MDZ at the point, and then Lilja whiffed on a clear and eventually the puck went to MDZ and goal.

I thought I was watching the playoffs against the Devils last year. Failure to clear the zone.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:30 AM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Your young defensemen Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann are doing great things.
I know you have a poster of him above your bed, but I'm surprised that even you would put him in that "list". He may not be quite as bad as Timonen has been, but he has also been taking retarded penalties at a clip that even Hartnell is jealous of. I'm sure he'll work the kinks out eventually, but can't we at least be objective and admit he's sucked hard so far?

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:43 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
If they are bad this year, so be it. But for the love of God, work on the freakin' power play!

01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
MrHockey1982

Gents,

I gotta say, this season has been disappointing so far. But in all seriousness, we've only played 2 bad games. One against the Devils and one against the Lightning. The 3 other losses could have easily been wins. We're still only 2 points out of the playoff picture. It's still very early and Bryz has been keeping the team in games. We finally get a 2 day break now in between games for the first time all season. I'm guessing they will take today off and practice tomorrow. Don't turn on the team so quickly and keep being positive.

The real number that we need to concentrate on is 53 or 54 as in the total number of points needed to make the playoffs in this shortened season. That's keeping the same ratio of games to points in a regular season at 92 points in 82 games (1.12). There's a lot of games left and if the Flyers can be one of the teams that get 53 or 54 points and make the playoffs then anything can happen! Did anyone really think that the Kings were gonna win the cup last season at the beginning of the playoffs as an 8th seed? Did anyone think the Flyers would make it to the finals after making the playoffs on the final day of the regular season with a Boucher/Leighton tandem in net? It's not the end of the world being in the position we are in. Just keep the faith and believe in your team. I believe we will turn it around. LET'S GO FLYERS!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
stygian16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Gents,

I gotta say, this season has been disappointing so far. But in all seriousness, we've only played 2 bad games.
Were you watching a different game last night?

stygian16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by stygian16 View Post
Were you watching a different game last night?
Last night's game wasn't nearly as bad as the games against the Devils or Lightning. The Flyers failed to execute on the power play but that is correctable. We execute on the power play and we win the game. We lost by one goal to the team that owned us in every game last season with arguably the best goalie in the league. 27 shots to 28 shots. Was the game really THAT bad?

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

I'm going to assume all of you who are so quick to amnesty, move Briere (with his consent) don't really plan on going to the playoffs or succeeding there.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Last night's game wasn't nearly as bad as the games against the Devils or Lightning. The Flyers failed to execute on the power play but that is correctable. We execute on the power play and we win the game. We lost by one goal to the team that owned us in every game last season with arguably the best goalie in the league. 27 shots to 28 shots. Was the game really THAT bad?
if you obviously see this team playing the last 3 years, do you really think are going change anything? is it bad because the way they are playing it's predicable, same mistakes, more excuses, it's unacceptable, even if it's against bad teams and beats them, it's not the way to win.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
stygian16*

Quote:
Just because NYR was't exactly competitive doesn't mean we didn't play terribly. The team looked half asleep, both on the PP and off.. how many of those shots were quality? Stats are overrated, Flyers should have lost 10-0

stygian16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:30 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm not worried about Homer. Homer hasn't panicked in the past.

Snider? Not so sure.
Versteeg for a first, though....

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Versteeg for a first, though....
Talent-wise he is worth that. I just have to question whether there was intention of re-signing him before the deal was made or not.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote