HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:10 AM
jimmycarter

vCash: 500
canadian goalies NEED to play more baseball growing up. simple.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:18 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Reimer has a below average glove. His issues are his inability to track pucks, he does not track pucks well and it is evident when you watch he is looking for the puck with no idea of where it is. Last night was no exception. Rebound control is the other major issue that he needs to improve on. He has below average feet and coupled with the other weaknesses in his game, he will continue to struggle.

His attitude is among the best in the NHL and that helps a great deal.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Well you gotta aim somewhere.

Even if his glove is great, players shoot high on butterly goalies. That's the whole point of playing the butterfly. Take away the bottom of the net, make them go upstairs.
This. If you're shooting from the slot really the only area on a goalie is high glove and five hole.

Smif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Reimer has a below average glove. His issues are his inability to track pucks, he does not track pucks well and it is evident when you watch he is looking for the puck with no idea of where it is. Last night was no exception. Rebound control is the other major issue that he needs to improve on. He has below average feet and coupled with the other weaknesses in his game, he will continue to struggle.

His attitude is among the best in the NHL and that helps a great deal.
Don't know what you're talking about, kids got lightning pads and imo has been great this year.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:43 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Don't know what you're talking about, kids got lightning pads and imo has been great this year.
Well I disagree and it shows.....watch his next start and remember what I said. Also look at his body positioning.....far to compact which makes a goalie less mobile. He is a big goalie who makes himself small.....lets hope his new Goalie coach can help and work on some of his technical flaws. Like I said above his attitude is a great skill that many goalies do not have....he has the ability to put behind him bad goals and games, this is not to be undervalued.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:51 AM
ocrighton

Everyone is just a goalie expert this day it seems. Reimer has played great so far this season. I won't start overanalyzing him until he starts to struggle.

ocrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:56 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Look at his glove positioning.....hence the reason why players are shooting high glove with success.

He is too compact and is making himself small......he needs to get back to this:

Old
01-30-2013, 08:16 AM
RonEllisFan

Random shots of him seeing through traffic does not make him compact.

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:22 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

His glove hand is fine. You got Healy'd.

I have seen enough games around the league, and most goalies are suspect to high glove. Reimer is fine.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
jimmycarter

im more concerned about the gaping chasm between his legs than his glove hand.

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
Random shots of him seeing through traffic does not make him compact.
Watch the games.....and where in the pictures provided is the traffic? I guess they are invisible.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
number72

5 hole and glove side are both problems

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
caribouPINE

vCash: 356
Grigorenko went 5-hole. So did Crosby.

Just as big a concern

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
CerebralDevil

I think pointing out a weak glove is silly. If you watch the goals again they are over the shoulder and thats where you want to go on guys like Reimer,Price,Miller and Brodeur. Dont forget that shot by Pominville was right in the slot after a scramble on the PP, and Reimer was in good position just a bit deep cause of the play. You cant seriously say he has a weak glove. Reimer has given us great goaltending and only getting better with each game. I like how he is improving his game. Consider C.Price as one of the elite goalies in the game right now, when he faced the Flyers a few years ago in the playoffs, the Flyers went glove side on him. Price worked on hios positioning and glove work. So did Reimer cause teams were looking at that, ala; Nash the other night and Reimer flashed the mitt. The guy is young and hasnt even hit his prime so the Leafs look great if he continues to progress and play.

CerebralDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
ACC1224

Reimer has been fine, looks like he's finally getting his game back.

I think they'll run with him the rest of the way and decide in the off season if he'll be the Goalie going forward.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Lol at you guys faulting him for the goals. First one was a scramble with tons of bodies in front, obviously he didn't see it. Second was more the D's fault, he just got beat in close. That's the only one you can even blame him remotely for. And the third was the same, scramble in traffic.

Give him a break. He played great.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espher View Post
Every goalie high glove

Fixed that for you.
The Oilers broadcast on Saturday/Sunday ... whatever ... they were talking about the goalie coach working on keeping Dubnyk's glove low by his leg pad.

Take away the lower part of the net.

On the previous Leafs' broadcast the analysts were saying Reimer should keep his glove higher.

So do we believe sportscasters or goalie coaches?

The one goal high yesterday, off the scramble, I doubt many keepers save that, 4 Leafs' defenders looking into a pile for the puck when the Sabre was holding it with a free shot against the net.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020079

Did you see Franson's goal was over Millers glove?

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Prototype

Go to a batting cage that spit balls out at 70mph. You'll be surprised how fast that is.

If someone shoots high glove from under the dot, it's pretty much a goal if the goalie can't see the release. Can't blame Reimer for yesterday's goals

Prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Darylman

Hey guys, five hole and top shelf glove go in a lot? WELCOME TO EVERY GOALIE IN THE LEAGUE

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
I am worried about it... Moulsons goal, pominville, sekera, players are trying to aim there
Sure, but how many goalies in the NHL could have stopped those shots? All were placed pretty much perfectly just under the crossbar and were shot from within 10 feet of the crease. So far Reimer has stopped the high glove hand shots that have been STOPPABLE.

I would be more concerned about his five hole.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Grigorenko went 5-hole. So did Crosby.

Just as big a concern
The puck was dancing on Crosby's shot, I don't eve think he was trying to shoot there. Grigorenko wasn't even looking at the net. Just flukey goals imo.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
CoveySteele

While I agree that you have a point in your assessment of Reimers tending style (his glove and five hole are suspect at times) I would put as much stock on opposing players having an added motivation against the leafs. I can't find the article for the life of me but remember reading on how players shooting % goes up against a few teams in the league and the leafs are always at the top.

CoveySteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveySteele View Post
While I agree that you have a point in your assessment of Reimers tending style (his glove and five hole are suspect at times) I would put as much stock on opposing players having an added motivation against the leafs. I can't find the article for the life of me but remember reading on how players shooting % goes up against a few teams in the league and the leafs are always at the top.
Might have something to do with the Leafs having basically the worst goaltending in the league the past 7 seasons.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Peace Frog

I can't stand the technique of using the shoulder to stop the top shelf shots, instead of the glove. IMO, it's a glaring weakness in Reimer's game.

I like everything else about Reimer's play; he just has to use his glove hand instead of his glove shoulder.

Peace Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
colchar
The Keon Curse Lives

Wasn't Allaire's mantra that they should make themselves as 'big' as possible? That seems to mean that they drop to their knees but then shrug their shoulders (best way to describe the motion they make) to make themselves 'big'. He's a Canadian kid who has likely been playing baseball most of his life (whether organized or for fun) so why not let him use his glove hand to catch?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote