HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why didn't the leafs get Halak during the off season of 2010?

Old
01-28-2013, 08:43 PM
beauchamp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
I think that was in 2011.
(...)
You might want to read his post once again. It was early in the morning. Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Because idiot Burke was at the Pride Parade in Afghanistan.
Superb.

A tip of the hat.

PS: Read the entire thread (21:45). Quite a few others did not get it...

Last edited by beauchamp: 01-28-2013 at 08:49 PM.
beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

because the price for Halak would of been MUCH higher if it was us.

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:47 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Well he was an RFA goalie. They won't get much on the open market
Kessel was a RFA.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:09 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Well he was an RFA goalie. They won't get much on the open market
RFA who just came off an amazing playoffs.

Toskala, Raycroft, Varlamov and I'd even argue Lindback have brought greater returns with worse resumes.

This is the same GM involved in the Gomez deal (right hand man to Gainey at the time) and traded Cammalleri without shopping him in the middle of a period.

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
For the sake of discussion. If St Louis gave 13th overall 6'2 center Eller + potential physical grinder(at the time, their upside was seen as better) for Halak, what would leafs have gave up? Kadri+? I don't see it.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:35 AM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Kessel was a RFA.
You missed the goalie part of my sentence

King Mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:38 AM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
RFA who just came off an amazing playoffs.

Toskala, Raycroft, Varlamov and I'd even argue Lindback have brought greater returns with worse resumes.

This is the same GM involved in the Gomez deal (right hand man to Gainey at the time) and traded Cammalleri without shopping him in the middle of a period.
But an unsigned RFA. Those guys were under contract. It makes a big difference. Halak needs to want to go there. Otherwise they won't trade for him and not everyone needs a goalie, very few teams do.

Either way, coming off a playoffs like that, you'd want him out West. You take less but never face him

Old
01-29-2013, 07:14 AM
forsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How is it that all those washed up goalies like Mike Smith, Brian Elliott etc. can go and thrive and we always get guys who are at the end of their careers? Seems like the Leafs stopped trying to get goalies and now they just rely on the in house ones who may or may not work out.

If Smith/Elliott were on the Leafs they would be in the AHL by now.

forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:28 AM
leburn98

Hindsight is always 20-20 isn't it? Halak could have easily been a one hit wonder. Raycroft, Toskala, Versteeg are just some of the players in the last few years that many would have considered great pickups for the Leafs at the time. All crumpled under the scrutiny in Toronto. It takes a special player to thrive in Leafs Nation. Only in Leafs Nation will we belittle a 4-year 30 goal scorer. Do you think the Leaf fans would demand a trade of Dougie Gilmour if he went on a 5 game goalless drought? Not a chance.

About Rask, do you honestly believe he would have thrived with the Leafs. Rask has been a backup to one of the leagues best goaltenders, watching and learning from the best and playing on on a team that doesn't leave you hanging for 5 minute intervals.

Finally this brings me to the Kessel - Seguin trade. First nobody expected the Leafs to be as bad as they were. Secondly, there was no guarantee that the Leafs would have taken him with their pick. Finally, even if the Leafs selected Seguin, I would bet my life that he would never be anywhere near what he has become in Boston. Leafs fans would have made him out as a saviour early on. He would be rushed into 1st line minutes and when he doesn't nab a point per game ala Sidney Crosby, we would call him a bust and say we must trade him. No you say? Nazem Kadri ring a bell? Luke Schenn? Heck just this year many Leaf fans were praising Scrivens and now want him demoted. Last year at the Allstar break many Leaf fans were penciling Phaneuf as a Norris trophy candidate.

Leaf fans are passionate, that's great. However, as a Leaf fan I would never want to play for them.

Last edited by leburn98: 01-29-2013 at 07:37 AM.
leburn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:37 AM
beauchamp

Quote:
You missed the goalie part of my sentence
Who says I did?

I couldn't add "goalie" as Kessel isn't one...

Occam's Razor.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Tak7

The Leafs not getting Halak in the summer of 2010, was nothing more than an elaborate ploy to ensure that Leafs Nation had something to discuss in January of 2013.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Gauthier routinely refused to shop players and it was widely believed he never even talked to anyone outside St. Louis. When the Cammalleri debacle happened. A number of reports suggested GMs weren't aware he was on the block. Simply put, Toronto never had an opportunity to inquire nor did any other team.

Would have cost you guys Kadri+ though based on what we got. So there's that to consider.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How is it that all those washed up goalies like Mike Smith, Brian Elliott etc. can go and thrive and we always get guys who are at the end of their careers? Seems like the Leafs stopped trying to get goalies and now they just rely on the in house ones who may or may not work out.
Because Smith and Elliot are behind a solid defensive team. I'm not convinced either of them are anything but average goalies and had we signed them they would have stunk here.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 05:39 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Gauthier routinely refused to shop players and it was widely believed he never even talked to anyone outside St. Louis. When the Cammalleri debacle happened. A number of reports suggested GMs weren't aware he was on the block. Simply put, Toronto never had an opportunity to inquire nor did any other team.

Would have cost you guys Kadri+ though based on what we got. So there's that to consider.
Kadri +? No it wouldn't he was within a year of being drafted 7th overall.

Who's to say Halak said he'd only sign with St Louis? It was somewhat up to him since he was an RFA

Old
01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Kadri +? No it wouldn't he was within a year of being drafted 7th overall.

Who's to say Halak said he'd only sign with St Louis? It was somewhat up to him since he was an RFA
Montreal received Eller+ (formerly 13th overall) and it was heavily cited they could have gotten more. While the plus would be marginal. It is not unlikely that would have been the demand.

And who's to say he said no such thing? There was no indication nor reason Halak would force a trade to any specific team. Halak publicly said he just wanted to play as a number one. I doubt he cared where.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:02 PM
NYjetsTOleafs
I'm Your Pushaaaa

cause optimus reim was the second coming of Jesus

NYjetsTOleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
NYjetsTOleafs
I'm Your Pushaaaa

wait that was a year later. my bad.

NYjetsTOleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:27 PM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Montreal received Eller+ (formerly 13th overall) and it was heavily cited they could have gotten more. While the plus would be marginal. It is not unlikely that would have been the demand.

And who's to say he said no such thing? There was no indication nor reason Halak would force a trade to any specific team. Halak publicly said he just wanted to play as a number one. I doubt he cared where.
But it was 3 years later and he still hadn't done much. Kadri was drafted 7th not even a year prior in what was supposed to be a deep top 10. His value would have been much higher at the time.

I was just saying he DID have a say and could have forced a trade there. Not saying he did but saying he could have.

But regardless, you don't trade someone coming off a hero playoff performance into your division or I'd argue even conference. Same reason Canucks would be dumb to deal Lu to Chicago unless it was massive overpayment. You just don't know if you will face them down the road. Unless your JFJ, then you can trade a potential franchise goalie in your division. He has no problem doing it

Old
01-29-2013, 08:08 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I wonder why we didn't get Vokoun.
That is the right question.

YOu get a cookie.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Adversary

Quote:
Remember when we traded Rask to Boston? Why would Habs make that mistake? Halak was coming off a hero playoff performance who wasn't going to get them much at all.

You should be asking why did we trade Rask away. He's better than Halak and we actually had him at one point only to give him to a rival..
They traded Rask because they thought Pogge was the better goalie prospect. They brought in Raycroft to give solid goaltending while pogge developed.

They were wrong.

Do these questions even need to be asked? We were all there, we all remember. It was a mistake and a bad one

Adversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Fenton

He was shipped West. Leafs never had a chance. Loungo however... they could have them if they want him.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leburn98 View Post
Hindsight is always 20-20 isn't it? Halak could have easily been a one hit wonder. Raycroft, Toskala, Versteeg are just some of the players in the last few years that many would have considered great pickups for the Leafs at the time. All crumpled under the scrutiny in Toronto. It takes a special player to thrive in Leafs Nation. Only in Leafs Nation will we belittle a 4-year 30 goal scorer. Do you think the Leaf fans would demand a trade of Dougie Gilmour if he went on a 5 game goalless drought? Not a chance.

About Rask, do you honestly believe he would have thrived with the Leafs. Rask has been a backup to one of the leagues best goaltenders, watching and learning from the best and playing on on a team that doesn't leave you hanging for 5 minute intervals.

Finally this brings me to the Kessel - Seguin trade. First nobody expected the Leafs to be as bad as they were. Secondly, there was no guarantee that the Leafs would have taken him with their pick. Finally, even if the Leafs selected Seguin, I would bet my life that he would never be anywhere near what he has become in Boston. Leafs fans would have made him out as a saviour early on. He would be rushed into 1st line minutes and when he doesn't nab a point per game ala Sidney Crosby, we would call him a bust and say we must trade him. No you say? Nazem Kadri ring a bell? Luke Schenn? Heck just this year many Leaf fans were praising Scrivens and now want him demoted. Last year at the Allstar break many Leaf fans were penciling Phaneuf as a Norris trophy candidate.

Leaf fans are passionate, that's great. However, as a Leaf fan I would never want to play for them.
WOW! what a classic first post and epic troll fail.

Better go create another alt user name, this one is already tainted.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
That is the right question.

YOu get a cookie.

Actually the one that "got away" IMO ,was Kari Lehtonen.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote