HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Should Ryan Spooner Get the Third Line Duty Over Chris Bourque?

Old
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Therick67

vCash: 500
Move Paille to the 3rd line and put in McDermid.

Therick67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Kelly and Peverly haven't been great IMO but they are key penalty killers and aren't going anywhere.

The line isn't working with Bourque on it, and I think it is time to find somebody who does (I have my doubts that it will be Caron and not sure Spooner can get it done either but at this moment might be worth trying).

I think moving Paille to the 3rd line might be worth the experiment however I think Paille is a key part of the energy on the 4th line and is one of the reasons the 4th line is so good.
I was going to post this but I decided to go sarcastic instead but yes move Pie up and bring Lane in

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:38 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afam View Post
I believe so. Chris is not lighting the World on fire. He is playing decent,, but i believe Spooner would do a better job than him. Spooner Centering the Chris kelly, pervs line would be sick.

Spooner has a great hockey IQ mixed with great speed, good passer and great hockey vision. All the third line is missing is someone who can finish the puck and i believe spooner can do that. I would like too hear everyone's opinion on that even though if you disagree with me.
imo not ready and has to play Center- however, in a year or so its games like last night when going thru the motions will see Spooner just do something spectacular and in the net. BAD decision to put him on the wing. horrible...but if you want to move Kelly over and Spooner at center, ok. Still to early for me- Bourque has not even been close to being as bad as reported- comical

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:42 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
anyone should, Chris is helpless...Can't believe they are giving him every chance to get going, even on SO

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
I love this- that would be one fast and defensively strong line

also, MacDermid is pretty good defensively and would be ok with me on 4th

Bourque has struggled but I hate to just kick him to the curb right now- they are winning and would still give him another 2 weeks- he has not been horrible, I isolated on him all over the ice last night and he certainly did no worse than most of the boys. Its funny watching the game- thinking Peverley was flying, guy next to me commented that to me without me saying anything, and then someone else tells me Peverley stinks and is doing nothing two people at the same game and their comments 180 degrees apart

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Saxon Eric

Send a message via AIM to Saxon Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
imo not ready and has to play Center- however, in a year or so its games like last night when going thru the motions will see Spooner just do something spectacular and in the net. BAD decision to put him on the wing. horrible...but if you want to move Kelly over and Spooner at center, ok. Still to early for me- Bourque has not even been close to being as bad as reported- comical
They've giving him plenty of rope

Saxon Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Shaun

time to unleash this beast

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:45 AM
jokerboysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
This, atleast for the next few games.
Bourque would benifit from some time in the press box.

Also get Bourque of the power play...

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
This, atleast for the next few games.
Bourque would benifit from some time in the press box.

Also get Bourque of the power play...
Chris Bourque has had more shootout attempts in the NHL than Marchand.

Therick67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:53 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Bourque has struggled but I hate to just kick him to the curb right now- they are winning and would still give him another 2 weeks
This is why I think they are still keeping the 3rd line as is. IF the team starts losing they may look to change, but I figure the front office is thinking as long as they are winning they can give him some time.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
DaaaaB's

I don't think it would hurt to give Spooner a chance. At this point though, I'm not suer he'd be much better than Bourque. Likely best to let him develop in the A for the rest of the year.

I don't mind the idea of using Paille on the 3rd line and trading for a sold 4th liner. Or maybe just trade for a solid 3rd liner. Damn, I really wish Chia had signed Ray Whitney in the offseason. He would've been perfect for this team and I think we had/have the cap room to fit him in.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:04 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...h_break_season

TLDR: Clode is happy with Bourque's progress and PC plans on being patient with him.

That's what they're saying in public anyway.

01-30-2013, 09:07 AM
bp13

I guess I'm in the minority as I think he's gotten better as the games have gone on. He's gotten a ton of chances in recent games as well and I'm optimistic that if he buries one he'll get going a bit.

Obviously Paille has been flying, but moving him up isn't the obvious solution. Not only does it potentially hurt the chemistry and effectiveness of the 4th line, but it's not like you're adding a guy who can finish to Kelly's line. Paille can't finish a damn thing, and nobody gets more chances than that guy. Does anyone here want to see more ugly 2-on-1's with Paille and Kelly? Their odd-man breaks could be a sitcom.

I give Bourque a few more weeks and see what happens. If that line doesn't get it going then you consider Spooner or a trade.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

We saw what being patient with Pouliot and Begin lead to... when a player isn't good, you won't gain anything from being patient.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:12 AM
doubleminor138
Look into my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
We saw what being patient with Pouliot and Begin lead to... when a player isn't good, you won't gain anything from being patient.
Have to agree. Its one thing to be patient with a young player whom is still developing, but by 27 I don't think Bourque is in that category.

ANyway, I don't have a big problem with Chris Bourque on the roster, but that third line needs a spark. Put Bourque down to the 4th line. Or have him sit in the pressbox for a game or two and give someone else a shot.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Clode is happy with Bourque's progress and PC plans on being patient with him.

That's what they're saying in public anyway.
I think this is what they are saying in public.

I imagine they are going over tape with the third line like mad right now.

I think the fact that they are winning games in spite of the missing 3rd line is why they are being patient.

My guess is if they don't have somebody in Providence they think can do better they will look for a trade.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How about the patience awarded to Thornton and Seguin? For every failure there's a success,bad example. Maybe he's Keith Aucoin or Tim Sweeney,maybe not.

Last edited by BNHL: 01-30-2013 at 09:22 AM.
BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
How about the patience awarded to Thornton and Seguin? For every failure there's a success,bad example. Maybe he's Keith Aucoin or Tim Sweeney,maybe not.
Thornton plays 10 minutes a game and therefore has minimal scoring impact, and by the time Seguin is 27 he will have played 20 times as many games as Bourque and have a 700 career points lead on him.The Bruins need 3 scoring lines to perform, ad Bourque clearly isn't the answer. In fact, he's a problem.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I definitely see them making a trade at the deadline and utilizing Savard's LTIR money. They can deal for an expiring contract or just use the compliance buyout after the season.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thornton plays 10 minutes a game and therefore has minimal scoring impact, and by the time Seguin is 27 he will have played 20 times as many games as Bourque and have a 700 career points lead on him.The Bruins need 3 scoring lines to perform, ad Bourque clearly isn't the answer. In fact, he's a problem.
How was your evaluation of Seguin and Joe Thornton after 6 games? Seguin had 1 goal and 2 assists while averaging 13 minutes not playing with Peverley and Kelly. Thornton was 0 goals 0 assists through 20 games playing similar minutes to Bourque! Discerning between lack of ability and lack of confidence is impossible in this situation. If Peverley and Kelly were on their A games the situation might be clearer but they are not,both have 1 point in 6 games.

Last edited by BNHL: 01-30-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
TCL40

Quote:
How about the patience awarded to Thornton and Seguin?
Thornton is a role player and plays his role well and has proven himself in the NHL.

Seguin is sucking right now but has also proven himself at the NHL level.

Bourque has not proven himself at the NHL level and has contributed little or nothing to the team.

Kelly and Pevs aren't playing good 5 on 5 but have proven themselves at the NHL level and are key PKers.

Something needs to change and Bourque is the easiest player to change.

Could maybe flip flop Seguin and Bourque.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
Thornton is a role player and plays his role well and has proven himself in the NHL.

Seguin is sucking right now but has also proven himself at the NHL level.

Bourque has not proven himself at the NHL level and has contributed little or nothing to the team.

Kelly and Pevs aren't playing good 5 on 5 but have proven themselves at the NHL level and are key PKers.

Something needs to change and Bourque is the easiest player to change.

Could maybe flip flop Seguin and Bourque.
The point was about judging Joe Thornton and Seguin in their first 6 Bruins games.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
How was your evaluation of Seguin and Joe Thornton after 6 games? Seguin had 1 goal and 2 assists while averaging 13 minutes not playing with Peverley and Kelly. Thornton was 0 goals 0 assists through 20 games playing similar minutes to Bourque! Discerning between lack of ability and lack of confidence is impossible in this situation. If Peverley and Kelly were on their A games the situation might be clearer but they are not,both have 1 point in 6 games.
Seguin had more shots in his first NHL game than Bourque has in 6 games.His 3 points in his first 6 games were more than what Bourque will get in 48 games.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Paddington

I see a lot of people calling for Paille to be put on the 3rd line but I, for one, do not want to see that happen for a few reasons.

1) If this whole "Shake up the third line" talk stems from a lack of offensive production, I don't think Paille can spark it. Paille isn't skilled enough to be a difference on that line. He is a great hustle guy and he gives it his all every shift but I don't think he would jive well with a Peverly. For some spot duty, sure. I don't see him as a fix in the long term.

2) The fourth line has been in tact for 2 years now. They have great chemistry and they've been rolling early on. Not just in the goals dept. but overall. They provide added depth and one reason the Bruins are so good is because they can consistently roll 4 lines. There is rarely an easy shift against this team. Over the course of this condensed schedule, this will be an important factor.

Right now, the Bruins are winning so I can see Julien standing pat with his lineup. If there needs to be a change, I'm willing to bet Caron is option #1. After that, give Spooner a shot. If anything, bring him up for a game or two to light a fire under Bourque/Caron, etc. Nothing says fight or flight like internal competition.

Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Seguin had more shots in his first NHL game than Bourque has in 6 games.His 3 points in his first 6 games were more than what Bourque will get in 48 games.
Who did Seguin line up with? So 1-6 games is all that's needed for you to evaluate a player based on his shots and points?