HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#06 | New York Islanders vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan 29 | 7:30 PM | W 4-1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2013, 11:00 PM
  #726
wingnutks
Registered User
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang2750 View Post
Like I said.

Fleury is one of the worst in the league. Vokoun comes in shuts us out in 3rd.
Vokoun didnt exactly see alot of pressure in the 3rd though.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:07 PM
  #727
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™
 
MattMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Vokoun didnt exactly see alot of pressure in the 3rd though.
It reminded me of the All Star game (without the scoring) lots of stick checking and everything seemed telegraphed.

__________________
Go Dye Your Hair
MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:11 PM
  #728
wingnutks
Registered User
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
It reminded me of the All Star game (without the scoring) lots of stick checking and everything seemed telegraphed.
+1

I even noticed that as the game went on the faceoffs became a "formality". Puck was dropped, each player took a swipe at it, and it went were it went.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:35 PM
  #729
SouthShore91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Great game. Loved how we played a full 60. Trying to contain my excitement, the potential of this team is amazing and nobody is paying attention, and I love it.

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:36 PM
  #730
Poulin 0n My St1ck
Registered User
 
Poulin 0n My St1ck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 930
vCash: 50
Thought we were gonna get Seth after game one, now I can say with confidence that this is our year and we're gonna bring the Cup back to NVMC one last time.

Poulin 0n My St1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:46 PM
  #731
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Thought we were gonna get Seth after game one, now I can say with confidence that this is our year and we're gonna bring the Cup back to NVMC one last time.
The brakes dude... pump the breaks a little.

Let's just stay in the moment and not predict anything, cup glory or doom and gloom.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:50 PM
  #732
SouthShore91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Shore, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Thought we were gonna get Seth after game one, now I can say with confidence that this is our year and we're gonna bring the Cup back to NVMC one last time.
Hiiiiiiiighhhh hopes. You've got higggggghhhh hopppees!!

SouthShore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
  #733
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,584
vCash: 500
Isles played perfect hockey. Take nothing away from that effort.

I have never seen the Pens play worse. Crosby was awful, worst game I have ever seen him play, didn't even think it were possible for him. Perimeter play, uninspired, ugly. Malkin was smooth, silky, dangerous (the only one on the team) but got zero results.

How the Pens kept Engelland and Lovejoy while Strait was waived is a head scratcher. Paul Martin looks a little Mottau out there, yikes.

Tavares has yet to play a great game but his ability to score a big goal and his defensive work, board work has been excellent. Despite the lapse.

I thought Boyes showed some life, nice chemistry with Moulson and JT on the PP, great passing. Would like to see him on the top line, I don't think Okposo adds anything to the top line.

Liked McDonalds game tonight, before the stupid penalty. He is working really hard, he wants to stay.

Besides Nabby, I think Hamonic and MacDonald were spectacular. I would have given them the 2nd and 3rd star.

Grabs has been excellent all year and looks more dangerous on the PK than ever before.

Nielsen is so good.

Streit was very good tonight, as was Strait.

Hickey played very well in his 12 mins, very smart hockey player, great pass to JT, anticipates so well in his own zone, is very quick and seems to make the smart play all the time. Far better than Finley.

Isles looked very confident tonight. Maybe they can keep this going a bit.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 AM
  #734
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,432
vCash: 500
Only teams with more goals than the Islanders this year are as follows:

Tampa Bay
San Jose
St. Louis
Chicago


Great company to be with. I hope the Isles bring some swag with them to the next game.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:32 AM
  #735
OpAck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
I think the Isles have adjusted a bit since the first game of the season...so I don't know what to expect with the next two against Devils. Those games could be a battle for 1st in the Atlantic. Devils haven't been scoring much...but they're obviously keeping the pucks away from Marty and clogging up the neutral zone. With the Isles having their legs and having a bit more confidence...I'd like to see what this team with more balanced scoring can do to get pucks through and onto Marty. And remember, after Thursday, we don't play again til Sunday against the Devils...yet the Devils are in Pittsburgh the night before. So they'll be tired.

Lose the next two Devils games...and they're 3-4-1 and probably 3rd or 4th in division. Win them...and they'll likely be 1st in Atlantic and 5-2-1...BIG opportunity to get on the right path and gain momentum.

OpAck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:56 AM
  #736
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Thought we were gonna get Seth after game one, now I can say with confidence that this is our year and we're gonna bring the Cup back to NVMC one last time.
He's playing on extremes. There's a point in there, somewhere

Anyways, if that's what we can do when the team commits for 60 minutes, sign me up.

Turn this win into a win in NJ on Thursday and I lose my ****ing ****.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:01 AM
  #737
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Thought we were gonna get Seth after game one, now I can say with confidence that this is our year and we're gonna bring the Cup back to NVMC one last time.
I'll have two of what ur drinking please!

Seriously lets just finish over .500 and out of a lottery pick first.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:05 AM
  #738
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
I'll have two of what ur drinking please!

Seriously lets just finish over .500 and out of a lottery pick first.
I think you need to do more GDT's lol

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:37 AM
  #739
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,744
vCash: 500
Great win! But this team is 1-4-1 without Nabokov and Grabner.

- The amazing thing was that Grabner managed to score *despite* the Penguins playing super conservatively whenever he was out on the ice. Just one mistake and BAM.

- Nabokov played quietly and efficiently all game. Really unspectacular and smooth. He's the opposite of DiPietro. No wonder he can play 70 games, he barely seems to move out there.

- Hamonic is a tough SOB. Damn.

- It's obvious that the only way we're going to win is by consistently outplaying the opposition on special teams. The way Nielsen, Streit, and Tavares rotate around the top of the umbrella (I'm not an X-O guy, but I think this is accurate terminology) is very effective. I'm surprised we don't see more teams utilizing that strategy. (On the other hand, why don't opposing teams cut off passes to the left wing side? The three players who play high are all lefty shots, and backhand passes are usually much less accurate. The Penguins allowed everything to go to the left.)

- I don't see why the announcers called the Isles PK 'aggressive'. I don't think it's aggressive at all. The issue is that Grabner is explosive, so when there's a flub or a dangerous pass, he can explode from his deep position and get to the puck with speed. It's opportunistic, not aggressive.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:38 AM
  #740
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,318
vCash: 500
Thrilled with last night's effort! That's what happens when this team plays a full 60 minutes. Hopefully they'll remember that going into Thursday's game against the Devils.

This was KO's best game of the year so far. He can still use some work, but hopefully last night was a sign that he's picking it up after a long layoff. His issue last night was his inability to string together more than one good play at a time. For instance, he'd strip the puck away from a Penguin, but then make a bad pass and give it up again. But like I said, I'm encouraged by his play last night.

This had to be Marty Reasoner's best game in an Islanders uniform. I'm not so sure that we'll be seeing many more games like this one from him, but I'll just enjoy the effort for what it was.

Grabner looks night and day better than he did in even his first season. Not only is he putting the puck in the net more than his sophomore year, he's better in all facets of the game. Nice to see improvement from a forward not named John Tavares!

Bring on the Devils!!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
  #741
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Great win! But this team is 1-4-1 without Nabokov and Grabner.

- The amazing thing was that Grabner managed to score *despite* the Penguins playing super conservatively whenever he was out on the ice. Just one mistake and BAM.

- Nabokov played quietly and efficiently all game. Really unspectacular and smooth. He's the opposite of DiPietro. No wonder he can play 70 games, he barely seems to move out there.

- Hamonic is a tough SOB. Damn.

- It's obvious that the only way we're going to win is by consistently outplaying the opposition on special teams. The way Nielsen, Streit, and Tavares rotate around the top of the umbrella (I'm not an X-O guy, but I think this is accurate terminology) is very effective. I'm surprised we don't see more teams utilizing that strategy. (On the other hand, why don't opposing teams cut off passes to the left wing side? The three players who play high are all lefty shots, and backhand passes are usually much less accurate. The Penguins allowed everything to go to the left.)

- I don't see why the announcers called the Isles PK 'aggressive'. I don't think it's aggressive at all. The issue is that Grabner is explosive, so when there's a flub or a dangerous pass, he can explode from his deep position and get to the puck with speed. It's opportunistic, not aggressive.

Cheers,

Dan-o
Aggressive because they dont sit back passively trying to cover passing and shooting lanes only, they attack the puck when hey can and another Pker supports by going to the nearest outlet man. If the PP gets the puck trough the forechecker or support man there will be a 2-1 down low.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:55 AM
  #742
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,958
vCash: 300
Nice wins. Pens definitely didnt bring their A game last night, but it's nice to be at a point where teams don't still beat us with their C game.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:56 AM
  #743
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,432
vCash: 500
OT - Anyone here commute to NYC this morning with an Isles hoodie and a USHL bag? lol

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:26 AM
  #744
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs
 
It Was 4 to 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bring Back Lavvy
Country: United States
Posts: 1,802
vCash: 500
whoever fixed our pk system should be our head coach

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:39 AM
  #745
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
for all you citi bank fans here is your new avatar!!!!!
What girl wouldn't want a new pair of shoes?

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
  #746
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Grabs has been excellent all year and looks more dangerous on the PK than ever before.


Streit was very good tonight, as was Strait.

Hickey played very well in his 12 mins, very smart hockey player, great pass to JT, anticipates so well in his own zone, is very quick and seems to make the smart play all the time. Far better than Finley.

Isles looked very confident tonight. Maybe they can keep this going a bit.
gotta disagree bout grabs. Towards the end of his breakout season he was getting much more breakaways and looking more explosive than now. However i think he is playing more responsibly defensively now (still very flawed, but improving and obviously gifted with a very good stick) and overall playing more effectively. But he does have less SH chances now and he is having less breakaways than back then.

Very pleased with hickey and strait. Strait had more games, so i hope we can expect more of the same from him. Hickey shows he has upside.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
  #747
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,864
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
whoever fixed our pk system should be our head coach
It has to be Thompson.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
  #748
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
It has to be Thompson.
I think it's safe to assume Thompson is the PK savior. I also would agree that he should be next in-line for the head coach position, should it open up AND (try not to laugh) the Organization doesn't want to bring in an experienced proven successful head coach.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
  #749
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
gotta disagree bout grabs. Towards the end of his breakout season he was getting much more breakaways and looking more explosive than now. However i think he is playing more responsibly defensively now (still very flawed, but improving and obviously gifted with a very good stick) and overall playing more effectively. But he does have less SH chances now and he is having less breakaways than back then.

Very pleased with hickey and strait. Strait had more games, so i hope we can expect more of the same from him. Hickey shows he has upside.
Probably the same reason why we have the league's #1 PK. I don't think we can empahsize enough how valuable Grabner is to this team. Even when he's not scoring, he contributes just by being on the ice. Perhaps Garths best move as GM was picking up Grabner.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
  #750
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Probably the same reason why we have the league's #1 PK. I don't think we can empahsize enough how valuable Grabner is to this team. Even when he's not scoring, he contributes just by being on the ice. Perhaps Garths best move as GM was picking up Grabner.
Drafting Hammer and getting Grabner are absolutely the best moves he's made.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.