HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 06:34 AM
c_mak

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to c_mak
He reminds me of Jeremy Roenick. When JR first broke into the NHL his skating was his best quality as he got used to playing at the higher level he began to develop much more offence. Mika has great skating appears to be more of a shoot first centre than splay making one.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Johnny Hanson

vCash: 50
I was happy with his game last night obviously but eventually he's going to have to start converting some of his chances or else he will be the next fisher. I fully realize its only been 1 game, but just creating chances is not good enough for a 6th overall pick. He's got to bury.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:29 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
I was happy with his game last night obviously but eventually he's going to have to start converting some of his chances or else he will be the next fisher. I fully realize its only been 1 game, but just creating chances is not good enough for a 6th overall pick. He's got to bury.
He is 19. Considering the game he plays he has at least 2-3 more years to fully develop his game.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Proust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
He is 19. Considering the game he plays he has at least 2-3 more years to fully develop his game.
And we said similar things about Mike Fisher at 19 (ok, with more hope than expectation).

Old
01-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Dr.Sens(e)

Quote:
I actually think he will be a Fisher-type of player in the end. He has never been a play maker at any level, and always has been a shoot first type of player (given his shot, not a bad thing). And I think the goals will come, but given he likes to shoot early and often, don't expect to see a 15%+ shooting percentage over the long haul. He will score goals based on pure volume of shots, and many will likely be lower %. As to the comparison, Z-Bad might end up being a bit faster than Fish (which is saying something), he also has a better one-timer and he might end up transitioning to the wing (Sens attempts to move Fisher to the wing failed). But he won't be quite as strong or tough as Fisher, even though he isn't soft by any means (Fish was a physical beast).

Another comparison might be Peter Nedved if he stays at center, although Z-bad might be a bit more physical. Nedved was another shoot-first center with a great stride who scored a lot of goals as a solid #2 center.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the way he skates and plays(Hunch back, kind of) limits his vision?
Well, he's way too fast and bulldozing to be using his linemates properly... Playing with high skill/ high speed players would help him

New idea for lines and this is what we should go with

1a- Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson (our top line, attracts all the attention on them but can still produce)
1b- Zibanejad-Turris-Silfverberg (not a lot of experience but wow at that potential)
3a- Latendresse-Smith-Neil
3b- O'Brien-Regin-Condra

Latendresse and Regin are there until they get their heads out of their arshes... They're capable of doing much more than what they've shown so far.

1a & 1b lines get about the same ice-time at ES but more PP time for the 1a, same for 3a & 3b

Don't use Alfie on the PK. We have Condra, O'Brien, Regin, Smith, Silfverberg... and even Michalek/Turris/Spezza/Zibanejad. Keep Alfie fresh

We are still rebuilding so who cares? Take chances and put emphasis on developping our future. We're still 4-1-1, not even mad bro

Quote:
Fisher is only 32 y/o and has already 197 goals at the NHL level... He's not that bad, and has been a +20 goals scorer almost every season (career average of 20.71 goals per 82 games)

I'd be very happy if Zibanejad becomes a 25/35 power forward, something like Dustin Brown minus the leadership qualities (and well doesn't need to hit as much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Someone needs to sit him down and force him to watch clips of Todd Bertuzzi in his prime.

Once Zib learns the one hand on stick, lower the shoulder and drive to the net power move, he'll be amazing.
This. Our AHL coaching is good but wait until he gets some NHL coaching and experience. The kid still has a lot to learn, only 19 y/o

Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-30-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Nizzy

Comparing Mika too Mike Fisher is ridiculous and not even close

Truth is we have never had a player like Mika and at 19 years old sky is the limit ..

With his size skill shot and 2 way I see him more compared too Ryan Kesler

Old
01-30-2013, 09:29 AM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Gets chances, can't finish.

Nothing new here.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Gets chances, can't finish.

Nothing new here.
I know that's a comfortable schtick for you, but you are forgetting his one-timer and his exhibition season finish. He's had some adversity this season.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

It's not shtick.

He has 4 career AHL goals, and 0 career NHL goals.

What do you call that?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:49 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
It's not shtick.

What do you call that?
A teenager playing in the NHL?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
John Holmes
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Truth is we have never had a player like Mika and at 19 years old sky is the limit ..
We've had several with much more potential.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Hv71

Just give the guy some time he has mostley played in Djurgården in SEL and lately they have not been a very good team so think in a better enviorment he can grow alot. I hope he and Ottawa will have a bright future and i think so to.

(sorry for the spelling)

Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Pitlick

Too bad Mika isn't playing in the CHL so we can truly compare him to Schiefele and Strome.

He is still junior eligible. How many points would he have in the OHL this year?

How many points would Schiefele have in the AHL this year?

Questions we will never know the answers to.

Last year, Mika played very well in the World Jrs. Scored 4 goals for the gold medal winning team, including his countries biggest World Jr. goal ever: clutch.

Schiefele and Strome were cut from the bronze medal winning team. I can't recall if Hamilton made the team or not.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:

Hossa, Karlsson, Daigle, Yashin, They all had the same if not more potential.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:

mike fisher is one of the best players this organization has ever had. agree?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Bileur

I might include Havlat in the list of players with similar/higher potential, and of course Spezza.

I'd also add that Mika has better handles than Fisher ever had.

Quote:
It's not shtick.

What do you call that?
I'd call it a premature assessment based on an insignificant sample size... or trolling.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
19 years old. You're right, at some point....

The fisher comparison is lazy anyways

Old
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
Too bad Mika isn't playing in the CHL so we can truly compare him to Schiefele and Strome.

He is still junior eligible. How many points would he have in the OHL this year?

How many points would Schiefele have in the AHL this year?

Questions we will never know the answers to.

Last year, Mika played very well in the World Jrs. Scored 4 goals for the gold medal winning team, including his countries biggest World Jr. goal ever: clutch.

Schiefele and Strome were cut from the bronze medal winning team. I can't recall if Hamilton made the team or not.
All three of Strome, Hamilton and Schiefle made the Canadian team. Strom had a good tournament, Schiefle's play was uninspiring, Hamiton was our best defender.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
It's not shtick.

What do you call that?
This isn't how players are projected. It's a portion of it. He's also 19 and his game last night was very encouraging. He was doing things right all night, and more performances like that lead to production.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
All three of Strome, Hamilton and Schiefle made the Canadian team. Strom had a good tournament, Schiefle's play was uninspiring, Hamiton was our best defender.
I think he mean last year's WJC, when Zibanejad played.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
One of the most disappointing Canadians in the tournament

Old
01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
I think he mean last year's WJC, when Zibanejad played.
Ya I know, they all played there as well.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Cowen Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
I might include Havlat in the list of players with similar/higher potential, and of course Spezza.
LOL, no kidding. Havlat was supposed the get a look for a few games and go down, but at 19 was to good and had to be kept. Still remember being at that first game, and the kid just stood out blazing across the ice.

Great game by Zibby last night and he took advantage of his opportunity. He was one of the few that was wheeling through the full game. His challenge will be to keep it up on a consistent basis. Most of his shots were further pretty far out last night, have to see what he does in closer.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
It's not shtick.

What do you call that?
A 19 year old kid learning the NA game, a kid with loads of talent.

For anyone to use production as the sole measure of this kid's abilities after playing 1 NHL games and 23 AHL games this year (many played while suffering from an undiagnosed whip lash injury) is quite frankly a joke.

I realize all those self proclaimed top talent evaluators need to find something to justify their future potential report on Zib, so they now cling to he doesn't finish.

Well Zib created more opportunities to score than just about any other Sens player last night, not named Karlsson.

The way he plays, the goals will come. Anyone that can't see that should stop pretending they understand hockey.

Last edited by Holdurbreathe: 01-30-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Closed Thread