Notices

Time to get rid of Wellwood

Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Arcticcat
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Time to get rid of Wellwood

Enough is enough. This guy does not want to shoot a puck at the net. Why does he have a mental block that he is forbidden to shoot? He had an opportunity in last nights game, and it looks like he was stick handling in the crease trying to pass rather then fire the puck into the open net! I know he is a passer, but we need shots on goal! Wellwood needs to go!

Arcticcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 300
Wellwood has earned his spot on this team with his play last year and to write him off after him having played 5 games seems a bit premature.
The open net play you speak of was far from a gimme and the Mtl dman made a heck of a play to save the goal.

No Name Poster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticcat View Post
Enough is enough. This guy does not want to shoot a puck at the net. Why does he have a mental block that he is forbidden to shoot? He had an opportunity in last nights game, and it looks like he was stick handling in the crease trying to pass rather then fire the puck into the open net! I know he is a passer, but we need shots on goal! Wellwood needs to go!
Yeah, sure, but while we are at it, let's get rid of Antropov (4 SOG total this season), Ponikorovsky (5 SOG total) and bench Wheeler, who is only averaging 1.5 shots per game on the top line.
I assume you know that Wellwood was our 5th leading scorer last year and the only thing lower than his SOG was his salary.
Welly is not producing any better or worse this year than his line mates. It'll come.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Arcticcat
Rookie User

[MOD]

Well, im very critical of bad play. He has not contributed, in fact was benched for a game, but Noel won't call it that lol, he clearly is not in game shape, and history with him shows that he just likes to pass. Sure he is accurate, but when we have 10 shots on goal through 2 periods, no more fancy passes, throw the puck on net, hope for a buff shot to go in or a rebound. Sorry for being a realist. Guess being a Newby, I know nothing, but everyone here was new at one point, does that mean they know nothing also?? HMM

Last edited by Jet: 01-30-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Scheifele55

Kyle Wellwood will lose his roster spot as soon as Mark Scheifele is NHL ready. I believe part of the reason we signed him was to allow Scheifele an opportunity to fully develop instead of rushing him. As we have seen so far the Winnipeg Jets are NOT rushing anyone they have drafted after the mistakes the Atlanta Thrashers made rushing EVERYONE they drafted in the 1st round.

Scheifele55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 300
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
Kyle Wellwood will lose his roster spot as soon as Mark Scheifele is NHL ready. I believe part of the reason we signed him was to allow Scheifele an opportunity to fully develop instead of rushing him. As we have seen so far the Winnipeg Jets are NOT rushing anyone they have drafted after the mistakes the Atlanta Thrashers made rushing EVERYONE they drafted in the 1st round.
Wellwood is a winger though. I think Jokinen was signed for this reason more than Welly. Kyle was signed because he is hockey's version of a utility player in baseball who can slot in nearly anywhere and be serviceable. Right now our depth is fairly thin up front at least until Mittens comes back

edit: apparently Welly is a Centre after all. Shows how much I know

No Name Poster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burmistrov08 View Post
The Jets approach having Scheff sit in the press box is brilliant, watching the team night in and night out will really sharpen his play and improve his skating!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Arcticcat
Rookie User

I assume Scheff will play against the Panthers as it is a weaker team, but if history repeats itself, we played well against tough teams and played poorly against weak teams. It is no slam dunk to take 2 points off of the Panthers. Now watch Wellwood prove me wrong and score! I hope so!

Old
01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
we lose a game so someone needs to go!
Wellwood is fine.
Surprised this wasn't a fire Perry Pearn thread.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

I agree this thread is premature, but I will say that I haven't been that impressed with Wellwood's play this year. Some nice passes here and there, but also stretches where he seems to disappear. Seems to go through funks like this, but then he'll have stretches where you think "darn, I love having Wellwood on our team, what a creative player". Give him time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Row 3 Upper View Post
:

Wellwood is a winger though. I think Jokinen was signed for this reason more than Welly. Kyle was signed because he is hockey's version of a utility player in baseball who can slot in nearly anywhere and be serviceable. Right now our depth is fairly thin up front at least until Mittens comes back

edit: apparently Welly is a Centre after all. Shows how much I know
He's barely played as a C with the Jets. I recall a couple of stretches last year where he was slotted there, but he's mostly been used on the wing.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
The Jets approach having Scheff sit in the press box is brilliant, watching the team night in and night out will really sharpen his play and improve his skating!
It's not as dumb an idea as you may think. As I mentioned in another thread, if the plan is just to keep him for the 5 games, then spreading them out over a few weeks makes sense. Scheif will get the same total game TOI, but will be able to practice, get NHL coaching and bond with the big boys in the interim. The Colts apparently have a slow schedule right now, so he can go back and finish the season/playoffs with them when it counts.

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
It's not as dumb an idea as you may think. As I mentioned in another thread, if the plan is just to keep him for the 5 games, then spreading them out over a few weeks makes sense. Scheif will get the same total game TOI, but will be able to practice, get NHL coaching and bond with the big boys in the interim. The Colts apparently have a slow schedule right now, so he can go back and finish the season/playoffs with them when it counts.
I've considered this and I think it's a smart course of action.
Allow him as much time as possible with the big club to learn and practice with men, while still leaving time for him to play meaningful games with Barrie.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
we lose a game so someone needs to go!
Wellwood is fine.
Surprised this wasn't a fire Perry Pearn thread.
Yeah, pretty much this.

Anytime we lose a game someone is picked out as someone that "needs to go".

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticcat View Post
Well, im very critical of bad play. He has not contributed, in fact was benched for a game, but Noel won't call it that lol, he clearly is not in game shape, and history with him shows that he just likes to pass. Sure he is accurate, but when we have 10 shots on goal through 2 periods, no more fancy passes, throw the puck on net, hope for a buff shot to go in or a rebound. Sorry for being a realist. Guess being a Newby, I know nothing, but everyone here was new at one point, does that mean they know nothing also?? HMM
Don't let it get you down bro, HF is a nasty place. Believe me though if you stick around and take the heat initially for what you say, and still stick around you'll know a lot more about hockey that watching TSN could ever give you.

That said i completely disagree with the OP [mod]

Last edited by Jet: 01-30-2013 at 02:48 PM. Reason: not needed.
Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Don't let it get you down bro, HF is a nasty place. Believe me though if you stick around and take the heat initially for what you say, and still stick around you'll know a lot more about hockey that watching TSN could ever give you.

That said i completely disagree with the OP[mod]
merely pointing out that the first two posts from this account were pretty blatant "OMG the team lost, ship out X Y and Z" posts. Or at least i've been jaded into percieving them as such.

Wellwood is what he is. I'm not a huge fan and he hasn't been lights out, but any call for trading/dropping a player within the first five games when he hasn't been absolutely terrible (as one Mr. Clitsome may be characterized) is hard to take seriously.

Wellwood's been Wellwood, and he's looked a little shaky, but he's hardly whats costing us games nor the sole reason for 10 shots in 2 periods, there's a lot more then welly that needs to be called out for that kind of play.

Which the OP has now done, and i appreciate, but the introductory post was a little lacking in constructive criticism and a little heavy on "sky is falling".

Last edited by Jet: 01-30-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
surixon

I haven't been impressed with his play so far this year either. While he's good for a couple of good plays a gambut otherwise leaves a lot to be desired. With regards to last night, he looked slow and had a difficult time staying in the play. He also showed zero battle level, I can't even count on one hand the number of puck battles that he won..

Having said that, having depth is a good thing in case of injuries so I see zero reason to get rid of him.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
surixon

I haven't been impressed with his play so far this year either. While he's good for a couple of good plays a gambut otherwise leaves a lot to be desired. With regards to last night, he looked slow and had a difficult time staying in the play. He also showed zero battle level, I can't even count on one hand the number of puck battles that he won..

Having said that, having depth is a good thing in case of injuries so I see zero reason to get rid of him.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
BigZ65

The good news is that he has fallen out of the top 6. It'll be interesting to see who wins out when Mittens is back, I think they'll be battling on a game-to-game basis for the 3rd line RW spot.

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
This.

He is making a grand total of $1.6 mil this year. That's nothing. We can sit him in the press box at that price if need be.

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Yes wellwood isnt the best player out there. He is serviceable and on a good contract.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 01-30-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: not needed
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
The good news is that he has fallen out of the top 6. It'll be interesting to see who wins out when Mittens is back, I think they'll be battling on a game-to-game basis for the 3rd line RW spot.
I agree. And both are likely gone next year, unless we re-sign them to deals below what they currently are being paid.

Never have been a fan of Welly's, for all the pp points he brings over the years, he lacks the speed and size to play the style the Jets seem to want to play. With all four lines.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Moe Mantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Bang on. If I had the money to buy a billboard and put this post up at Portage and Main, I would. It's the most intelligent comment I've seen about Scheifele's role right now, and I wish more people could see this.

Moe Mantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If Scheifele makes the team (unlikely I know), I'd like to see Wellwood stay on the team but drop down to Thorburn and Slater's line. He's an upgrade on Wright/Peluso.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Antropov/Scheifele - Little
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov/Scheifele
Thorburn - Slater - Wellwood

That's assuming Scheifele makes the team. If not, replace him with Miettinen.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
If Scheifele makes the team (unlikely I know), I'd like to see Wellwood stay on the team but drop down to Thorburn and Slater's line. He's an upgrade on Wright/Peluso.

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Antropov/Scheifele - Little
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov/Scheifele
Thorburn - Slater - Wellwood

That's assuming Scheifele makes the team. If not, replace him with Miettinen.
Wellwood would be so out of place playing with Thorbs and Slater.

Wright seems to have been a better fit.

I think this year is it for Wellwood on the Jets.

Warhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:30 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
It's the most intelligent comment I've seen about Scheifele's role right now, and I wish more people could see this.
It sounds good but if they had it in mind from the beginning than why did he play the Jets first three games? Shouldn't his time have been spaced out a little more?

angrymnky is online now   Reply With Quote