HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens re-sign PK Subban (2 yrs/$5.75M) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 07:42 AM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Gorges and Markov are respected veterans. Markov means far more to this team's winning and losing than PK (stats back that up). Because of injuries he wasn't in the lineup and PK got tons of ice time.... good for him... I think with Markov's return we can see what a true #1 D looks like once he's matured. PK will eventually be that guy, but he's only been in the league 2 years.

Gorges played on a brutal contract when he first came here. Did his time and was rewarded. He bleeds for his teammates every night, without fanfare.

These 2 are our leaders on the blueline. I think the team is trying to regain a bit more respect in the room. Young players need to know they're role. PK, in saying publicly that he wanted to be paid what he's worth, essentially disrespected his teammates. Markov is the #1 (no doubt about that) and PK says publicly that he should be paid as a #1 (not in so many words, but implied). Gorges is an ultimate team guy and was active in CBA process. By holding out PK put himself not only ahead of his team, but also ahead of all his NHLPA peers. RFA's have little leverage in contract negotiations, this is an integral part of the CBA and is a large part of the reason that UFA's have far greater rights. Holdouts used to be common place, hardly ever happens now.

I think they're all very happy to have someone of his skill rejoin the team. Everyone is well aware of his potential. I think their just setting the stage to send PK a message that he's still not a veteran and needs to have his defaults set to receive instead of constantly being on send. That's what non veterans do.

I hope he can figure that out.

The first thing I'd like to see disappear is that low 5 celebration. It's great to have enthusiasm, but lets try to act like you've won a game before.
PK said he wanted to get paid what he's worth. He NEVER said he wanted to get paid like a #1 dman. Stop making things up and forming an opinion. This thinking is part of the problem. Stop feeding into media gossip.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:08 AM
IceDaddy
#MeltdownforMathews

Anyone else worried about the chemistry of the team now that he is back??

Old
01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
PK said he wanted to get paid what he's worth. He NEVER said he wanted to get paid like a #1 dman. Stop making things up and forming an opinion. This thinking is part of the problem. Stop feeding into media gossip.
He never said he didn't want to be paid like a #1D either. All depends what he think he was worth.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM
JohnnyB11

It just never ends with us Habs fans, does it?

Everyone all hot and bothered about not getting PK signed, and then once he's signed getting all hot and bothered that maybe his teammates don't like him.

Can we not just enjoy the entertaining and winning hockey we've been able to watch since the lockout ended?? And be happy that now we have no holdouts, we have some depth (especially at D) and some youngsters who are making an impact?

I guess not, after all AM only wanted to talk about the games at hand, and JG is tired of talking about PK. The sky is falling, yet again.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The truly ironic part is taht L'antichambre actually sounded like the voice of reason and the RDS clowns and TSN sounded like The Star or the National Enquirer.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
beaverBFP

Lol I can't believe how much TSN and RDS are overhyping this whole team not welcoming/liking subban. It's clear that MT told the team to not get involved in the drama and just to stay focused on the games.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I just saw that Subban immediately bought a house for his parents after he signed his new contract.

#Greedy

Old
01-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Habitants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I just saw that Subban immediately bought a house for his parents after he signed his new contract.

#Greedy
buying house for your parents?!

how is that greedy?

geez pls tell me you trollin

this subban drama on TSN and the news is BS! the media just makin up drama. The players are tired of being asked this question, and the media need to move on.

there is hockey to be played

Old
01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Godzilla

Quote:

#Greedy
Greedy? For buying his parents a house?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
skule123

Quote:

#Greedy
I think that Marek story was about his entry-level contract, but that doesn't change your point substantially. Definitely under-reported.

The TSN guys have been harsh. Were the Sportsnet crew, after he essentially did them a solid by hanging around there during the lockout? Is the TSN molehill mountaining sour grapes?

I believe that two weeks in and a PK goal or two in, all of this will have blown past us, and we can go back to hearing about all the good PK stuff. Why would TSN talk about him doing that charity event @ Yale for Mandi Schwartz, when we can overanalyze 15 words from Josh Gorges?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Not at all.

PK knows most of the guys and is more mature now... he has learned when to tone it down.

He can be very charming.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
It is a invented story made by medias... Very overhyped...

What about the chemistry in Dallas when Benn was back???

Old
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Greedy? For buying his parents a house?

It isn't. Check your sarcasm detector, it may be on the fritz. I was just playing into the false rhetoric that Subban is greedy. It's kind of an on-going meme in the Habs forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skule123 View Post
I think that Marek story was about his entry-level contract, but that doesn't change your point substantially. Definitely under-reported.

The TSN guys have been harsh. Were the Sportsnet crew, after he essentially did them a solid by hanging around there during the lockout? Is the TSN molehill mountaining sour grapes?

I believe that two weeks in and a PK goal or two in, all of this will have blown past us, and we can go back to hearing about all the good PK stuff. Why would TSN talk about him doing that charity event @ Yale for Mandi Schwartz, when we can overanalyze 15 words from Josh Gorges?

Ah, fair enough, I didn't know that he bought it coming off his ELC. And you may have a very valid point about TSN and their drama queen reaction to Subban rejoining the Habs. Might be bitterness due to Subban joining SN during the lock out.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Subban will be flapping his gums like always and luv being surrounded by media. I think that team will handle that well. But more intresting detail is how our new head coach and Subban`s co-operation will work...

Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Uber Coca

Heard Réjan Tremblay talking about PK Subban this morning and he reflects everything I hate about the media. He may think that the players are not overly happy to see Subban back and frankly I don't really care. But he thinks, and probably most of the journalists in Montreal, that Subban's best moments are when he plays a safe and defensively responsible game (which means not taking any risks).

Way to ruin the creativity and the enthusiasm of a player. I do think Subban needs to focus on defense and positionning, but I won't cry over a failed attempt at a huge hit or a missed pass. He's trying to be a game changer and that's what this team needs (we've been lacking this type of player for a while). Subban seems to need some maturity in order to be respected by his teammates and the media, but honestly just let him do his thing in the limit of what is reasonable as a team, and you'll see a heck of a player. Also, the negotiation process and the great start of the season are making some people forget how Subban is a complete player and how he's important in the future.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:04 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I actually had trouble sleeping the night.

And if we lose the 1st game or two of PK's return it's a clear indication that PK is the problem more than the answer. If this does happen, you can find out more details by watching antichambre that follows right after the game.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
skule123

Pulled this out for another thread, but thought it was worth posting here.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/daily-hab...santa-1.573623

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Heard Réjan Tremblay talking about PK Subban this morning and he reflects everything I hate about the media. He may think that the players are not overly happy to see Subban back and frankly I don't really care. But he thinks, and probably most of the journalists in Montreal, that Subban's best moments are when he plays a safe and defensively responsible game (which means not taking any risks).

Way to ruin the creativity and the enthusiasm of a player. I do think Subban needs to focus on defense and positionning, but I won't cry over a failed attempt at a huge hit or a missed pass. He's trying to be a game changer and that's what this team needs (we've been lacking this type of player for a while). Subban seems to need some maturity in order to be respected by his teammates and the media, but honestly just let him do his thing in the limit of what is reasonable as a team, and you'll see a heck of a player. Also, the negotiation process and the great start of the season are making some people forget how Subban is a complete player and how he's important in the future.
I wouldn't get too worried, as I doubt PK looks to Tremblay for advice on how to play hockey. That would be like Tremblay looking to PK for advice on how to be a bad journalist.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Seriously...this has gotten beyond ridiculous.

If the guy is such a bad teamate, then why the hell is he still on the team? Bergevin and the Habs organization are doing a disservice to their team if they keep a player that their teamates alledgely, dispise.

If he's that bad...then trade him

Otherwise, can someone in the organization... a coach, GM, asst GM, president, owner, player, equipment guy, etc, actually step up and have his back and support him?

Say what you want about PK's attitude...but if we are to believe what the media is trying to portray about his teamates attitudes towards him, then I think that says as much about them, then it does about him.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Otherwise, can someone in the organization... a coach, GM, asst GM, president, owner, player, equipment guy, etc, actually step up and have his back and support him?
Agreed. We need the kind of moment that Gainey provided twice, where he told the boobirds to stop booing Brisebois if they cared about the team (they did), and told the media piling on a defeated rookie Carey Price that he was a thoroughbred, totally willing to attack and head off the media narrative.

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/column...c-c6fd7400d33e

Gainey had his faults, but he showed a lot of who he is in that defense of Price in that situation. Time for another leader to do that and head off some of the silly talk before PK takes the ice for the first time.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Seriously...this has gotten beyond ridiculous.

If the guy is such a bad teamate, then why the hell is he still on the team? Bergevin and the Habs organization are doing a disservice to their team if they keep a player that their teamates alledgely, dispise.

If he's that bad...then trade him

Say what you want about PK's attitude...but if we are to believe what the media is trying to portray about his teamates attitudes towards him, then I think that says as much about them, then it does about him.

Like Price said, they will accept him, shake his hand when he re-joins the locker room, and move on.

They are pros. Not RDS drama queens.

And if a player seriously holds a grudge against him for trying to get fair value (we can all agree he took a very reasonable contract), the issue lies with that bitter player, not Subban.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Gainey had his faults, but he showed a lot of who he is in that defense of Price in that situation. Time for another leader to do that and head off some of the silly talk before PK takes the ice for the first time.
Gainey stood up for Subban as well.

Remember his whole "shut up about him and play" speech?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
skule123

Quote:
Gainey stood up for Subban as well.

Remember his whole "shut up about him and play" speech?
Thanks for the reminder!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=553476

"He's an excellent player. He's a very talented player," Gainey said of Subban. "Anyone who has met him knows his personality is outgoing, overflowing.

"It hasn't yet been tempered, yet, with full maturity. I think he should have fun and he should play. Some of those people should shut up and play against him. Just keep their mouths shut and play."

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
I am so glad we avoided the Chelios scenario, at least for now.

"One player who came into our team at one point and had an impact like that, a huge impact, was Chris Chelios," he said. "He had a huge impact on our team in the 1980s."

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Like Price said, they will accept him, shake his hand when he re-joins the locker room, and move on. They are pros. Not RDS drama queens.

And if a player seriously holds a grudge against him for trying to get fair value (we can all agree he took a very reasonable contract), the issue lies with that bitter player, not Subban.
I'm sure they will...I just find that some of the coverage the last 2 weeks, and especially since he signed, are over the top.

Closed Thread