HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 03:12 PM
DousedInOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
No way Pulock falls out of the top 10. He's a properly special blend of size and skill. I hope we get him though. He'd be absolutely deadly on our PP with that cannon
I think it's at the point where a guy like Pulock has almost been over scouted. I still have him above Zadorov, Nurse and Ristolainen. I think sometimes scouts put guys higher up just so that they can be the one that "discovered" a player rather than just putting him where he should be. I guess that's not overly exciting though.

As far as Lazar goes, if he falls outside the top 15 he's going to be an absolute steal for the team drafting him. Sure I'd like to see more offense but it's not like he's not capable. At this point his production warrants him being a second round pick but we all know that it's not about where the prospect is at, rather where he projects and what skills he has.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:25 PM
OilerNut*

This team badly needs a big strong powerforward.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I think it's at the point where a guy like Pulock has almost been over scouted. I still have him above Zadorov, Nurse and Ristolainen. I think sometimes scouts put guys higher up just so that they can be the one that "discovered" a player rather than just putting him where he should be. I guess that's not overly exciting though.
Excellent point. It amazes me how underrated some guys (Couturier, Grigorenko, etc.) become as the draft nears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Just as long as it's not another Pouliot/Parise fiasco

Old
01-29-2013, 03:52 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
I think we badly need that in the form of a trade though. We need one who is developed.

Old
01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Just as long as it's not another Pouliot/Parise fiasco
Exactly, we also need a big strong power forward who can contribute starting two weeks ago. I'm all for the Oilers drafting a couple too, but best case scenario is we can sign or trade for one and just draft the best player around.

Old
01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
That's just it, we need one now. What we get in the draft (assuming we're not finishing top 3) isn't going to solve any of our immediate problems.

Buffalo badly wanted to add size to their top 6 (to their lineup in general) so they drafted Kassian 13th overall in 2009. He spent 2 more years in junior, then split the following year between the AHL and NHL before being traded for an average sized centerman who has no power game to speak of. 4 years later, Kassian is starting to show that he can be an asset on an NHL club. I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in waiting 4 years to fill that need on this club.

01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I think we badly need that in the form of a trade though. We need one who is developed.
It depends on where in the draft we end up with. I could see as many as 10 guys jumping into the NHL next year. If we are drafting from a playoff position I definitely think we draft BPA. Barkov and Monahan would be ideal but I don't see any centers after them that could make the jump with their size.

Honestly, if a guy like Adam Erne is kicking around and you think he's BPA, I think you take him. Doesn't matter if he's a winger.

Old
01-29-2013, 05:41 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That's just it, we need one now. What we get in the draft (assuming we're not finishing top 3) isn't going to solve any of our immediate problems.

Buffalo badly wanted to add size to their top 6 (to their lineup in general) so they drafted Kassian 13th overall in 2009. He spent 2 more years in junior, then split the following year between the AHL and NHL before being traded for an average sized centerman who has no power game to speak of. 4 years later, Kassian is starting to show that he can be an asset on an NHL club. I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in waiting 4 years to fill that need on this club.
Great post, exactly. That's why I would take BPA unless it's extremely obvious we are full to the brim at that position and there's someone more or less the same in value at a needed position.

We shouldn't rely on this year's draft to get us into the playoffs next year.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:20 PM
puckfan13

Not as versed in the Euros but if we miss the playoffs in the 10-15 range it has to be Darnell Nurse for me if he's there no question but I don't even know if he lasts that long.

If we make the playoffs as a low seed I wouldn't mind Ryan Hartman in that range (15-20) and anything higher for me (however unlikely) is Nic Petan from Portland - reminds me a lot of Eberle and Skinner's offensive potential NHL-wise. Everyone might be talking about the "power forward" Erne but I think Hartman can bring that jam better on a shift-to-shift basis, that is one competitive SOB.

Old
01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
We need to start looking at position more than BPA to fill out our weaknesses. We have an abundance of defenseman in the system coming up who look promising. Our center depth on the other hand.. Pitlick, Martindale and Lander are all guys who might end up being something but they have struggled with their developement. Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Paajarvi, Hartikainen are all wingers who will be with the club for the future almost guarenteed. We need a center in this draft, plain and simple.

Take a page out of the Flyers book. The past few years who have they gotten out of the draft? Giroux, Couturier, Laughton. (who almost made the roster this year, will be there next year) They traded for Schenn. That team is set down the middle for the next decade.

Gagner looks like he's finally breaking out, you have to think he'll be signed again longer term. So Nuge and Gagner two centers that will be here. That's fine, now go out and get a Scott Laughton, Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn kind of center from the draft who can play gritty and/or has some size because that's what we seriously need.

I'm torn between Curtis Lazar and Frederick Gauthier right now. Gauthier is a 6'5 210 center at 17. Scouting reports say he's very good defensively and he's putting up over PPG in Rimouski right now. Sounds like Martin Hanzal a little. I'm loving what I've heard from him but I've seen Lazar play obviously and I think he'll be a lot like TJ Oshie. If Stu wants a goalie we have two seconds.. maybe we could package them for a late 1st and grab Fucale.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:10 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

If we get a top 12ish pick, I think the only centers we consider are MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm. If those guys are off the board then I see us taking a d man with Jones, Pulock, Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov and maybe Hääg as options.

With a later 1st rounder Lazar and Gauthier are center options.

As for our 2 second rounders I would hope we can snag 2 of these

McCoshen D, Bowey D, Zykov RW, Fucale G, Comrie G, Högberg G

Another goalie to consider with a 2nd is Juuse Saros, stats are excellent but is undersized.
Also I would not be shocked if Nichushkin falls into the 2nd round and would be a no brainer for me at that point.

Some names to throw out there for the later rounds

Bobos D, Mironov D, Bailey C, Slepyshev LW, Whistle G, Subban D, Arnesson D, Olofsson D.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:03 AM
DousedInOil

Bobs mid season rankings come out today. I can't wait to see where he has his Swedes ranked.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
If we get a top 12ish pick, I think the only centers we consider are MacKinnon, Barkov, Monahan and Lindholm. If those guys are off the board then I see us taking a d man with Jones, Pulock, Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov and maybe Hääg as options.

With a later 1st rounder Lazar and Gauthier are center options.

As for our 2 second rounders I would hope we can snag 2 of these

McCoshen D, Bowey D, Zykov RW, Fucale G, Comrie G, Högberg G

Another goalie to consider with a 2nd is Juuse Saros, stats are excellent but is undersized.
Also I would not be shocked if Nichushkin falls into the 2nd round and would be a no brainer for me at that point.

Some names to throw out there for the later rounds

Bobos D, Mironov D, Bailey C, Slepyshev LW, Whistle G, Subban D, Arnesson D, Olofsson D.
Personally, I would be surprised if Nichushkin fell out of the first. Maybe fall out of the top 10, but even if he is Russian he's that good. If he was Canadian I could see him getting consideration for #1 TBH.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
smokersarejokers

I know Bob Stauffer's been on this train for awhile, but Curtis Lazar mid first round.

Great player, can play centre or wing, plays physical. Big fan. Stu is also a big fan.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

I'm not sure if anyone has taken a look at Ryan Hartman yet but he's definitely worth a long look. Hard hitting, fast scoring winger with size. He is an all around player if I've ever seen one. Brings a lot of skill and energy. Hopes would have him fall to the 2nd round but I see him going from 20-30 tops. This will be a great draft to walk in with two firsts and address organizational needs properly.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:52 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

we need both IMO, we need that guy right now and we need the guy that in 4 years can take the spot of the guy we have now. Any PF on this team will get inflated stats playing with the talent we have here, when they hit UFA we need to be able to replace them effectivly

Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has taken a look at Ryan Hartman yet but he's definitely worth a long look. Hard hitting, fast scoring winger with size. He is an all around player if I've ever seen one. Brings a lot of skill and energy. Hopes would have him fall to the 2nd round but I see him going from 20-30 tops. This will be a great draft to walk in with two firsts and address organizational needs properly.
hartman reminds me alot of brule and torres the way they played JR but he isnt even 6' is he? hes a thick kid though

Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
hartman reminds me alot of brule and torres the way they played JR but he isnt even 6' is he? hes a thick kid though
Those are valid concerns. He is certainly taller than they were. At least he appears to be. He appears less of a goal scorer and more as a hitter at the same age. He's a solid kid. Maybe I need my eyes checked but he appears a lot taller than they did. Not a lot but at least a couple inches. He's accepted a two-way role at a much younger age than the other two. Good comparisons though. He brings a lot character nonetheless and is a 2nd round must. I'm sure my opinion could change with all the other enticing selections that may still be available.

Last edited by Grod: 01-30-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
It's always hard to project these kinds of guys but I see him as a Ryan Callahan type player. Similar numbers, size and character.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
misfit

Quote:
we need both IMO, we need that guy right now and we need the guy that in 4 years can take the spot of the guy we have now. Any PF on this team will get inflated stats playing with the talent we have here, when they hit UFA we need to be able to replace them effectivly
Well sure, you can never have too many powerforwards in the system. Just like you can never have too many defensemen, or centers, or goaltenders.

That's why you can't ignore the best player on the board simply because you think you're going to need something else down the road. It wasn't long ago that we felt our center depth was set because we had Pouliot and Schremp in the system. I wouldn't pass up a defenseman who's the BPA because Klefbom, Musil, and Marincin look promising for the same reason.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
It's always hard to project these kinds of guys but I see him as a Ryan Callahan type player. Similar numbers, size and character.
I like the leadership qualities they carry in common. Very similar characteristics and playing style. You're right though, it's never foolproof projecting these sort of players. Attitude and work ethic is key.

One interesting dilemma which we desire a lot of help in is goaltending. There are a lot of solid prospects in Comrie, Laurakainen, Jarry, Bartosak all in the west. Who else has eyes on prospect goaltenders and which are they highest on?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
I like the leadership qualities they carry in common. Very similar characteristics and playing style. You're right though, it's never foolproof projecting these sort of players. Attitude and work ethic is key.

One interesting dilemma which we desire a lot of help in is goaltending. There are a lot of solid prospects in Comrie, Laurakainen, Jarry, Bartosak all in the west. Who else has eyes on prospect goaltenders and which are they highest on?
I'm not great with goalies but I wanted us to grab Bartosak back in his first year of eligibility. Comrie was my first choice but after the injury I expect Fucale to go first. If I'm taking a goalie I have to go with Jarry though. I think he has 5 shutouts already this year.

Last edited by DousedInOil: 01-30-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
dnicks17

Quote:

Spencer Martin over here in the OHL is a guy that's probably worth watching.

He was just stealing games for the Steelheads at the beginning of the season, but has cooled down a little bit.

Last edited by dnicks17: 01-30-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

goalies are the hardest imo to project and i do try to stay away from them as much as possible. mostly because you have to see them play, alot to get a good read. stats like s% and GAA can be skewed quite a bit by the teams in front of them. great teams dont need elite goaltending in JR. you almost have to do a complete stat analysis on save percentage/scoring chance against to get an idea of where to start.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:42 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
I'm not great with goalies but I wanted us to grab Bartosak back in his first year of eligibility. Comrie was my first choice but after the injury I expect Fucale to go first. If I'm taking a goalie I have to go with Jarry though. I think he has 5 shutouts already this year.
Any thoughts on the euro based goalies? Saros looks interesting to me but he is undersized.
Maybe a NA goalie would be the safer bet.

Closed Thread