HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXIX: Thread of LXIX

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualFan View Post
Whatever JIG came up with, it sure doesn't seem to be appealing to the league. But, they're out of time, which might motivation for the league to accept this last best offer, even if it's a gum and duct tape plan.
We would have hoped that the last attempt burned an indelible mark on Bettman and lesson learned.

That lesson? Len Barrie and Oren Koules

Old
01-30-2013, 09:57 AM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Here is some good news for Canadians, especially QC.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-moves-forward

Expansion is coming.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
halligan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwhowlinhockeycom View Post
Im gonna go out on a limb and guess a majority of you in here would like to see the Coyotes deal fall through and they move to Quebec City? I see Seattle getting the next franchise as they have NBA to co-occupy their facility. What do you have....Curling? LOL

Look I love the passion but to hope and pray for a franchise this way is bad karma. We do have very loyal fans. BUT until ownership is cemented you will see sellout or close on weekends and big games then 10k the mid week games. So to get from an avg of 13k to sellout at 17,125 you need season holders. MANY are waiting on Jamison to make the investment. DEAL will bring more sponsorship and season holders. Suites and ends of ice are the major area for concern. They dont seem priced correctly. You can sit on the blue line for the same price as behind the goal 20 rows. Makes no sense.
I saw all of the fans against the Preds on Monday night. It was so impressive! Whole section of seats EMPTY! The owner situation, the day of the week, the arena location, the visiting team...those are all easy excuses to my opinion....Also you need to do some research about Quebec and Curling. Curling is way more popular in the english part of Canada. If you think Seattle is next you are wrong. They dont even have anything started yet. They should be ready in a few years. Now its Quebec turn. Might not be the Coyotes but they are next! Stay in line Seattle.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
I dont see a scenario where the deadline comes and no deal and the Coyotes remain. It will break my heart but at this point I just want resolution. The constant unknown black clouds, not good for fans or the boys. They strap on their lids every night w uncertainty. Then right before the playoffs some idiot reports they are going to relocate. Enough of the BS. GJ has had weeks. If he is snagged by paperwork @ the Sharks organization it should be resolved by now.

BTW I'm 40 at home with my infant daughter. I did drop my 14 yr old off at 9th grade though. Hilarious. I am a Coyotes fan. Season ticket holder. Editor for my website. Im fully invested and not taking ANYTHING away from Canada.....So stop trying to take something from US!
I thought you had sources it was done?

Your team was taken from Canada. They were the Jets, remember that? Now, the US has taken a second team from Canada, the Quebec Nordiques. We'll take them back. Stop keeping things away from Canada. BTW, I'm not even a fan of the Nords, I ain't gonna invest **** in them, I'm an Habs fan, and I want them back so I can hate them. But you know, at least I'll care about them, and they'll be a real hockey team in a real hockey city that I can respect. They're not going to be a showcase team trying to sell hockey to desert dwellers who couldn't care less about it.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Here is some good news for Canadians, especially QC.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...-moves-forward

Expansion is coming.
Should be 2 teams for sure....Could be 6 but that would be a bit hard to pull off as it would water down talent greatly.

If 2 teams are added look to see NFL type of divisions of 4 ea meaning 16 per conference. A lot better for scheduling.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I think there is a scenario here where Bettman sticks his neck out in front of the council to ask for an extension. That's only if GJ is legit and not a smoke screen designed to distract from what is possibly a lame duck season. I don't expect the council to grant it, because they are a bunch of amateurs. That will be the official end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I think that is one plausible scenario. If Jamison is still short, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamison expresses his interest in continuing to pursue this, and Bettman lending him support, provided that the COG extends the deadline.

If there is an announcement from Jamison today or tomorrow, I would rank this as the second most probable outcome (first being an announcement of the successful purchase of the Coyotes).
Spot on guys. If Bettman is coming into town, you guys have nailed it from either side of the fence.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I thought you had sources it was done?

Your team was taken from Canada. They were the Jets, remember that? Now, the US has taken a second team from Canada, the Quebec Nordiques. We'll take them back. Stop keeping things away from Canada. BTW, I'm not even a fan of the Nords, I ain't gonna invest **** in them, I'm an Habs fan, and I want them back so I can hate them. But you know, at least I'll care about them, and they'll be a real hockey team in a real hockey city that I can respect. They're not going to be a showcase team trying to sell hockey to desert dwellers who couldn't care less about it.
A sort of "love/hate" relation? lol

We canadians and quebecers are special. We want somebody to hate em! ;-)

We don't even have a team and the war is already on!

Old
01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Spot on guys. If Bettman is coming into town, you guys have nailed it from either side of the fence.
I'm with you three.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

BTW, I don't think we're hearing about a potential move during the season at least not this early. You'd want to milk the locals for all they're worth before moving. If you tell 'em you're moving, they won't give you their money anymore.

Not that they give a lot of their money as it is, but still.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:07 AM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
You should really stop while your ahead. And by ahead I mean you're one toe over the start line.
I thought it was against site rules to advertise your sites if you weren't a partner or something anyway.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:08 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Admitting to wanting the expansion gives no benefit to the league. Quite a few drawbacks, actually. So no surprise there.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:08 AM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

I hope Canada gets 2 teams during the expansion. Also rename the league from National to North American Hockey league. BTW US meant us not U.S. sorry.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:12 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
I think that is one plausible scenario. If Jamison is still short, I wouldn't be surprised if Jamison expresses his interest in continuing to pursue this, and Bettman lending him support, provided that the COG extends the deadline.

If there is an announcement from Jamison today or tomorrow, I would rank this as the second most probable outcome (first being an announcement of the successful purchase of the Coyotes).
I can very easily see Bettman flying in to Glendale today to ask for an extension. He could very well go in front of the Mayor and council and say " The deal for Jamison to buy the team is 100% going to happen, we just need 30 days to file all the paper work, and as such would like you to extend the AMF lease for 30 more days."

The question is... would the new Mayor cave on his promise to not extend this deal for "one second" more, if he is told it will for sure ( this time ) get done. Or will it die.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Well I too was upset with the turnout Monday. Chicago and LA games were jam packed. Columbus 8pm WED and Nashville 7pm Monday were lucky to see 10k fans. It is what it is right now. You cant expect walk up sales to push the needle. Season holders will HAVE to attend and that will come with Season Holders ONLY! Moyes killed that bas from 10k to less than 1k overnight when he announced he planned to move the team and would give NO REFUNDS!
Lets stick with the truth, granted the home opener was almost a sellout but the LA game was only at 86% capacity at Jobbing, the announced crowds of 8300 for Columbus and 8500 for Nashville were below 50% capacity at Jobbing.

Simply put, not enough fans even when there basically giving tickets away and for a team that went deep in the playoff's, no one in Phoenix cares!

Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
There's one here: http://nahl.com/

And another one here: http://www.lnah.com/
And the last one is actually HERE! As in, in the Province of Quebec, a low-level pro league with most players being from here.

I want to see the ****ing Arizona Hockey League. They'd dress a line.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
PhxCoyoteFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
I can very easily see Bettman flying in to Glendale today to ask for an extension. He could very well go in front of the Mayor and council and say " The deal for Jamison to buy the team is 100% going to happen, we just need 30 days to file all the paper work, and as such would like you to extend the AMF lease for 30 more days."

The question is... would the new Mayor cave on his promise to not extend this deal for "one second" more, if he is told it will for sure ( this time ) get done. Or will it die.
Simply...NO. He asked for the Council to delay the vote until he took office as he wants to kill the deal. I smell your friends a GWI behind some of the shadowy stuff here. I dont know what Bettman would hope to accomplish by going in front of a council who doesnt even meet today.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:
Simply...NO. He asked for the Council to delay the vote until he took office as he wants to kill the deal. I smell your friends a GWI behind some of the shadowy stuff here. I dont know what Bettman would hope to accomplish by going in front of a council who doesnt even meet today.
Too many conspiracy theories there Troy, just not enough hockey fans in Phoenix, or those willing to pay NHL prices for Coyotes tickets, I mean 2 free kids tickets with purchase of ticket or $25 for any seat with college ID, who does that Troy, teams in A ball that's who, not PRO sports!

PS What Bettman has left is to tell the COG is that he will cash in the last $25 million cheque that they handed him back in 2011, without an extension of the deadline the team is toast, except we all know the team is toast and Bettman is only hoping to minimize the NHL's losses by encouraging ticket sale to the end of the season.

Last edited by sipowicz: 01-30-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post

CORRECTION: The Coyotes were not "taken" from Canada. Check your history. The Nordiques were not "taken" from Canada. Check your history.

I don't believe you can "take back" what was never stolen.... no?

CORRECTION: The Coyotes are a "real hockey team", they play in the NHL which is an established and highly regarded league consisting of many of the best players in the world.

The Coyotes are hardly a "showcase" here in the desert. Your animosity towards them is misguided, perhaps you should be more clear, as it appears that you are bitter for all the wrong reasons.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
CORRECTION: The Coyotes were not "taken" from Canada. Check your history. The Nordiques were not "taken" from Canada. Check your history.

CORRECTION: The Coyotes are a "real hockey team", they play in the NHL which is an established and highly regarded league consisting of many of the best players in the world.

The Coyotes are hardly a "showcase" here in the desert. Your animosity towards them is misguided, perhaps you should be more clear, as it appears that you are bitter for all the wrong reasons.
Agreed. Conversely, I think it would be fair to say that if the Coyotes relocated to Canada, they would not have been "taken" or "stolen". It would mean that all avenues for a local sale had been exhausted.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:

Then I guess they won't be taken from Phoenix either! Great!

Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil parent View Post
then i guess they won't be taken from phoenix either! Great!
correct!!!!

Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Agreed. Conversely, I think it would be fair to say that if the Coyotes relocated to Canada, they would not have been "taken" or "stolen". It would mean that all avenues for a local sale had been exhausted.
And then some!

Old
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:

Now, I could argue for months not days about the bolded part. It's the only one we have in North America, but far from being the best of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
Curling is one of the best sports in the world. It does not have much of a following, but whatevs.
And that's because the Olympics don't show enough of the sweet Swedish female team play. Those ladies are pretty pretty pretty good at it.

OT : If I wanted to be a true ass, I would say that Nordiques have won the Avco cup while the Coyotes...well I don't wanna be that kind of guy.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Too many conspiracy theories there Troy, just not enough hockey fans in Phoenix, or those willing to pay NHL prices for Coyotes tickets, I mean 2 free kids tickets with purchase of ticket or $25 for any seat with college ID, who does that Troy, teams in A ball that's who, not PRO sports!

PS What Bettman has left is to tell the COG is that he will cash in the last $25 million cheque that they handed him back in 2011, without an extension of the deadline the team is toast, except we all know the team is toast and Bettman is only hoping to minimize the NHL's losses by encouraging ticket sale to the end of the season.
I also belive that this may somehow come into play. I do not know how but it may be possible.

Of course this is assuming GJ and the JSG don't purchase the team today or tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Now, I could argue for months not days about the bolded part. It's the only one we have in North America, but far from being the best of.

(in best English accent) Careful or I shall label you BITTER!

Kind of going for a "knights of NEE!" thing there.

Closed Thread