HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Canadiens re-sign PK Subban (2 yrs/$5.75M) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
To win does it really matter that everyone on the team is buddy-buddy? It probably helps, but there's certainly exceptions to the rule....

One of the books I read during the lockout was Searching for Bobby Orr... Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito always rubbed each other the wrong way off the ice. They were never each other's cup of tea in the dressing room... However, on the ice they won Cups and helped each other break records.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm sure they will...I just find that some of the coverage the last 2 weeks, and especially since he signed, are over the top.
Gorges says "It'll be good to finally talk hockey, and not 1 guy"

Media: "The Habs hate Subban!"

Markov says "We are concentrating on who's in the room now, there's a game today to think about"

Media: "Irrefutable proof that Subban is hated worldwide, and eats babies on a regular basis"

Ok, I may have thrown a hyperbole in there, but you get my drift.

Essentially, I agree with your assessment.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Fan support won't be an issue. Just showing Subban highlights in the pre-game video got a big cheer from the crowd.

Even in a 4-game win streak, there's no denying, IMO, that Subban can make this team better.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:52 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL

Optional practice in Ottawa this morning. Weber, Blunden, Subban and Budaj on the ice.

Teammates don't even want to practice with him since they're scared Subban will start another fight with a teammate.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Gorges says "It'll be good to finally talk hockey, and not 1 guy"

Media: "The Habs hate Subban!"

Markov says "We are concentrating on who's in the room now, there's a game today to think about"

Media: "Irrefutable proof that Subban is hated worldwide, and eats babies on a regular basis"

Ok, I may have thrown a hyperbole in there, but you get my drift.

Essentially, I agree with your assessment.
Again...I just can't believe people like Francois Gagnon can get away with saying Subban needs to act 'more corporate'

Like how the hell can this fly? Just blows my mind...

Old
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Does anyone actually know why Gagnon hates him, and will go to any lengths to try and denigrate Subban?

Just curious, is there a back story? Did Subban sleep with Gagnon's daughter? There has to be a reason why he goes out of his way to criticize the young man on absolutely everything and anything.

It shows a major lack of journalistic integrity IMO, but that's a subject for another day.

He won't be happy until "mature Subban" shows up looking like this:

Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
skule123

Quote:
Does anyone actually know why Gagnon hates him, and will go to any lengths to try and denigrate Subban?

Just curious, is there a back story? Did Subban sleep with Gagnon's daughter? There has to be a reason why he goes out of his way to criticize the young man on absolutely everything and anything.

It shows a major lack of journalistic integrity IMO, but that's a subject for another day.
I feel like Gagnon just needs a target, like the hatchet job he did on the Cammalleri quotes/translation (what was printed in French, based off English words) which was a factor leading to the trade. As I recall, Arpon Basu was present for the comments, had a very different take on the context, and reading between the lines/tweets I felt like he didn't agree with Gagnon's take/spin.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I'm just going to call it the Réseau Drame Subban for now.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:

He won't be happy until "mature Subban" shows up looking like this:

I don't think he hates him. He does think that Subban is somewhat overrated and has not accomplished that much yet. He's also does not seem to think he's that great of a team player for whatever reason. That's his opinion, he's entitled to it. He never said he was not a great young hockey player with tons of potential. One thing is for sure he's not a Subban fanboy like some of the people on here. I for one am glad he's back but don't fully disagree with what Gagnon says.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
I don't think he hates him. He does think that Subban is somewhat overrated and has not accomplished that much yet. He's also does not seem to think he's that great of a team player for whatever reason. That's his opinion, he's entitled to it.
Yet when people send him statistical proof that Subban has in fact done a lot for a 2 year player, he ignores it. He goes out of his way to bring Subban down, but doesn't acknowledge his prowess. That's an obvious sign that someone has a bone to pick.

He is absolutely entitled to his opinion, but it's flawed and reeks of bitterness.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Yet when people send him statistical proof that Subban has in fact done a lot for a 2 year player, he ignores it. He goes out of his way to bring Subban down, but doesn't acknowledge his prowess. That's an obvious sign that someone has a bone to pick.
Or, maybe Gagnon actually spoke with a few players about Subban, and maybe Subban is actually controversial within the team.

Sometimes, there's no conspiracy. Sometimes, a cat is a cat. Wouldn't be the first time journalists are actually right about something.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

If we take away the drinking and womanizing, does this remind anyone about someone?:

"(Esposito) was also a large personality, a talker, an egotist, a joker, a drinker, a carouser, a womanizer, a guy who would dominate the dressing room, who was in so many way's Orr's opposite number. Espo ran hot where Orr ran cold. Over they years, there would be plenty of stories alluding to an uncomfortable Esposito-Orr rivalry... There was no question, who was the larger, louder presence in the Bruins dressing room - that was Espo's schtick, just as it would be when he led Team Canada... Esposito liked to be the center of attention the life of the party..."

"But there's a truth that applies to all teams in all professional sports: harmony is way overrated. Many a championship has been won with players who didn't socialize away from the park or the rink, who didn't say a lot to each other in any circumstances, whose personalitites naturally clashed, who came from backgrounds that were irreconcilable, who rubbed each other the wrong way, who hated each other's guts...''

-Searching for Bobby Orr- Stephen Brunt

Old
01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Im so tired of the hate subban gets.. my own friends habs fan to tell me to be positif about the canadiens in general (cause they called me crazy for having low expectations) yet with subban they cant stand me defending subban.... they even wont let me explain (cause obviously they didnt get it yet) that subban already accepted a cheap contract and he brings a lot more positives than negatives... nope.. i dont know why but they are convinced subban is the reincarnation of satan himself... for Christ sake... they wont even aknoledge subban on ice performance.. saying subban a brought nothing to the ice outside negatives... saying 37 et 36 pts is not elite (dont even know how they come up with that)... and not even leading the habs.. in +/-.... like he was payed like an elite player ready... -

Okay he can be a player that can be hated... because he tried to impose himself too fast...? Cause he already has a deal with Nike? Cause he seeks exposure? For me its just jalousy... if he can do his stuff and follow the directives on the ice that all we want.. if players still givin him hard time then they are problems themself... Subban reputation as become such a big deal its like apocalypse in a glass of water.....

Sick and tired of that i really hope subban keeps a low profile, in the room and on the ice, just stay focus... so people can leave him alone and eventually almost worship him...

This city as big issues.. media is the main reason why... they are bipolar as much if not more than the fans.

For me its always been about
Either we keep him and do all we can to reach full potential (limitless) or
Take a chance to see him blossom elsewhere and we all know all prospect with hype performed better elsewhere..

Its a non brainer for me... now shutup and give him a chance.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 01-30-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Or, maybe Gagnon actually spoke with a few players about Subban, and maybe Subban is actually controversial within the team.

Sometimes, there's no conspiracy. Sometimes, a cat is a cat. Wouldn't be the first time journalists are actually right about something.
And it absolutely wouldn't be the first time the media demonizes a player over nothing. We have a very long list of players that have suffered that fate in Montreal.

Besides, do you think players leak their feelings to Gagnon, someone who is known to stir the pot? If they do, they are idiots. I doubt our players are that childish though. RDS is not the platform any player should be using, since they are well known to get over dramatic, and have a tendency to create controversies.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:

He is absolutely entitled to his opinion, but it's flawed and reeks of bitterness.
Subban is a polarizing player. I'm sure Gagnon will drop it if PK comes back strong and integrates well with the group. I guess with the Habs winning there's not much complaining to be done so PK was a prime target.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:21 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
And it absolutely wouldn't be the first time the media demonizes a play over nothing. We have a very long list of players that have suffered that fate in Montreal.

Besides, do you think players leak their feelings to Gagnon, someone who is known to stir the pot? If they do, they are idiots. RDS is not the platform any player should be using.

I doubt our players are that childish though.
Some players are not the sharpest tools in the shed...

Old
01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Subban is a polarizing player. I'm sure Gagnon will drop it if PK comes back strong and integrates well with the group. I guess with the Habs winning there's not much complaining to be done so PK was a oprime target.
I hope you are right. I wonder who their next target will be?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Some players are not the sharpest tools in the shed...
If I was Gionta, and I heard that some of the players were leaking locker room drama to RDS or any other media outlet, I would absolutely lose it. That's a fast track to ruining the chemistry of a team IMO. Talk about a terrible team mate.

But I doubt it happened. I think it's just Gagnon stirring the pot as usual.

Old
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
I hope you are right. I wonder who their next target will be?
Desharnais. It's already started. See link below.

I wonder if people on here will defend DD as much as they did Subban...somehow I doubt it.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...8_section_POS2

Old
PyrettaBlaze*

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
If I was Gionta, and I heard that some of the players were leaking locker room drama to RDS or any other media outlet, I would absolutely lose it. That's a fast track to ruining the chemistry of a team IMO. Talk about a terrible team mate.

But I doubt it happened. I think it's just Gagnon stirring the pot as usual.
Interesting thought. Maybe that's why players are saying very little about Subban right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

I wonder if people on here will defend DD as much as they did Subban...somehow I doubt it.

I can almost guarantee you that the media will take it easier on him.However, if he keeps playing like he has, I know I will absolutely not defend him. To me it's the on ice-performance should dictate his pay scale.

I think Desharnais will turn it around though. I liked his quotes this morning where he took all responsibility for his bad play. Good attitude to have.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:

LOL! are you serious?

That article might as well have a picture of Francois Gagnon patting Desharnais on the back

Old
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
haburger

gagnon who?never heard of him.if there was such thing as respect for a sports journalist or broadcaster,i'm sure he would be at the bottom of that list,cause outside of quebec no one knows who he is.why you guys get so worked up about a clown who knows nothing about the game?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
LOL! are you serious?

That article might as well have a picture of Francois Gagnon patting Desharnais on the back
I just read it.

Yeah....like I was saying, they will definitely take it easier on Desharnais.

Closed Thread