HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
  #26
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Wow, you guys have a massive inferiority complex toward the Bruins. If I was a Bruins fan, I would laugh my ass off.

There are 28 other teams in this league beside them and the Habs and if I recall correctly they aren't the defending champs... How about we play our game and they play theirs ???

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:07 AM
  #27
HTTP 400 Bad Request
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 845
vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Probably very few men on skates can take on Lucic at this point.

The Feb 6 Habs/Bruins game is a date to circle on the calender.

It looks like the Habs can truly burn teams on the PP this year... with the emergence of the Gally's, and Diaz, the return of Markov, the resurgence of Pleks,

Insert PK and Maxpac, and get Cole warmed into mid-season form...

Impressive.
This. We won't beat Boston on the physical game, even with a heavyweight enforcer. We have to beat them on the PP, like we used to.

For any other team, Prust, Moen and White are more than enough.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:15 AM
  #28
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,660
vCash: 500
The reality is that very few players can matchup to lucic, chara and thornton in a fight and most that can, cant play any decent hockey.

Weve beaten them before with a softer team, i'll think we'll be fine moving forward with the players we have in place

Kingbobert is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
  #29
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing View Post
To all of you who say no because we have guys who can scrap and play hockey, well if a heavyweight a la Parros is available and has decent hockey skills , would you still pass on him ?
When the Habs played Florida, Ryan White attacked one of their players. What did Parros do about it?

loudi94 is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:43 AM
  #30
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
I think a bigger need is a 6'3" or 6'4" stay at home d-man that can still move pretty well. We struggled against Winnipeg's big forwards last night. Though Boston's forwards are not as big, NYR has a big group up front. Most of Boston's size is on defense.

Monctonscout is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:47 AM
  #31
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
The reality is that very few players can matchup to lucic, chara and thornton in a fight and most that can, cant play any decent hockey.

Weve beaten them before with a softer team, i'll think we'll be fine moving forward with the players we have in place
Chara barely fights, he's more of a wrestler, check out his fights vs Laraque, unless he's going after a non fighter then he starts swinging.

Lucic is a pretty good fighter but not a "feared" one. I doubt he scares Moen White or Prust.

Thornton is more of a grappler like Nilan was, he rarely dominates or gets his ass kicked as he gets in tight and jabs and grapples.More of a middle weight.

Boston's intimidation is usually their "tough guys" going after non fighters. If you sand up to them, like any bully, they'll back down.

If they start playing dirty, then burn them on the PP or start sending guys like White after Marchand or Seguin.

Monctonscout is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 08:54 AM
  #32
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,427
vCash: 500
After what Desharnais did last night when Andropov hit Prust from behind, I'd say we got our heavy weight: DD.

All kidding aside I was one of the posters we wanted more grit on this team. With Prust, Armstrong, Moen, Bouillon, White, Emelin and even Bourque I think we got the right kind of muscle. Let's not go overboard.

onice is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:21 AM
  #33
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
We still can hurt them physically without having to drop the gloves against every fighter they have on their roster. I mean, Emelin is leading the NHL in hits but still have 0 PIM. Honestly, it's the first time I see this and I like it.

This team plays as a group of individuals. It's not by trying to take their fighters down one by one that we will win hockey games. And if they want to play dirty, I have no doubt that we can play dirty as well.

OpenIceHit is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:27 AM
  #34
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best
 
Aspirine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,277
vCash: 50
I say no. We need 20 of them. Just park them at our blue line 5 at a time, take the game to a 0-0 shootout and then send Price to shoot.

Aspirine is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:36 AM
  #35
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,358
vCash: 500
Uneffective.

We could use one more tough stay at home d-man, but he doesnt mean to be heavy-weight. To be fair, Moen can hug all of them and get out without a sweat. That's enough for me.

Lucic is a big dumb bear. Remember when Carey pushed him? He went crazy and got a penalty. That's what you gotta do.

+ We have Schultz and Stortini if we need some backup.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
  #36
boomboom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 345
vCash: 500
I think every team needs some type of heavyweight, but that can play and skate for about 5 to 10 minutes a game. All teams that make it to the playoffs, have these type of players. You don t have to play them in the playoffs, but they will have a physical and a psychological role when playing against rival teams. Now, the thing is they have to be smart and not take stupid penalties. EX: Parros not attacking White was smart, they got a powerplay and the game was tight. All the good teams have them, and we should also.

boomboom is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 AM
  #37
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,908
vCash: 1707
dear god no.

i swear, some of you either have a short memory, or have serious macho issues.

carolina and montreal have had good success against the bruins the last few years. reason is, we do not, ever, get to their level. we play our game, let them play theirs. when they can't play their game, they lose their cool and lose games.

it's a cheesy analogy, but you do not, ever, poke the bear. do it, they're gonna beat you physically, and on the scoreboard.

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
  #38
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,785
vCash: 500
Nope.

All of the guys you named for Boston are very competent players - why should Montreal add a Stortini-like player when Boston certainly doesn't have one?

If the Habs were to get a guy like (example) Ryane Clowe, who could fight AND play, I certainly wouldn't oppose it.

Dwight is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
  #39
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom View Post
I think every team needs some type of heavyweight, but that can play and skate for about 5 to 10 minutes a game. All teams that make it to the playoffs, have these type of players. You don t have to play them in the playoffs, but they will have a physical and a psychological role when playing against rival teams. Now, the thing is they have to be smart and not take stupid penalties. EX: Parros not attacking White was smart, they got a powerplay and the game was tight. All the good teams have them, and we should also.
Parros being called heavyweight is dumb. I'm pretty sure he fought Moen and Prust and did not win. Doesnt mean he's a heavyweight if hes huge.

Moen fought alot of heavyweight himself.
McQuaid, Crombreen, Konopka, Thornton, Bickel, Boll And Prust/White will also go at it with any of them.

Mrb1p is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
  #40
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
The inferiority complex vs the Bruins is just sad. Wasting a roster spot to play one team, really? The one team we faced with a "heavyweight" so far in Parros we destroyed without having to fight him, he tried to start a fight but was just laughed off because at this point he's too useless to bother with.

This isn't UFC, we don't need to match up fighter vs fighter. Against the Bruins, play dirty and watch them cry - they are crying because Skinner allegedly slewfoot Marchand. Skinner was able to get in their heads, I think we should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
dear god no.

i swear, some of you either have a short memory, or have serious macho issues.

carolina and montreal have had good success against the bruins the last few years. reason is, we do not, ever, get to their level. we play our game, let them play theirs. when they can't play their game, they lose their cool and lose games.

it's a cheesy analogy, but you do not, ever, poke the bear. do it, they're gonna beat you physically, and on the scoreboard.
Exactly. Every time we try to play the Bruins at their own game, it just gives them energy. When we skate around them and get in their heads its a different story.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
  #41
bigtimehockeyfan999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
no..we're the montreal canadiens....are game is speed....big guys like thornton are useless especially when they can;t even play hockey. prust moen white is all we need. bourque;s no ***** either and, the way therrien has molded our team it seems like everyone sticks up for everyone this year. i like it just the way it is.

bigtimehockeyfan999 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:48 AM
  #42
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,595
vCash: 500
I liked Staubitz, so disappointed that they didn't hang on to him. He's not a pure heavyweight but he was really a tough guy willing to fight and protect his teammates. He was also a very good skater who could dish out hits and forecheck and would not complain if he didn't play.

Adriatic is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
  #43
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
I liked Staubitz, so disappointed that they didn't hang on to him. He's not a pure heavyweight but he was really a tough guy willing to fight and protect his teammates. He was also a very good skater who could dish out hits and forecheck and would not complain if he didn't play.
He was an awful hockey player and they're a better team for letting him go.

Pure heavyweight fighters are going the way of the dodo. More guys like Prust who can hit, play and fight? Definitely.

overlords is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
  #44
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Parros being called heavyweight is dumb. I'm pretty sure he fought Moen and Prust and did not win. Doesnt mean he's a heavyweight if hes huge.

Moen fought alot of heavyweight himself.
McQuaid, Crombreen, Konopka, Thornton, Bickel, Boll And Prust/White will also go at it with any of them.
wtf, Parros is legit heavyweight and he never fighted Moen or Prust and all the guys you mentionned are middle/lightheavyweight except for Thornton

yes, we need a heavy and we will probably have one with Therrien behind the bench.....


Last edited by bud12: 01-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.
bud12 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
  #45
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut
 
Galchenyuk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I would only want to do this if it were a player like Lucic himself, or maybe a Clarkson or someone like that who can perhaps be considered a fighter but can also play hockey. Besides players like that, who aren't available, I think we're fine.

Galchenyuk27 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
  #46
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 500
Lol @ Parros not being a heavyweight and Lucic not being feared.

gusfring is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
  #47
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He was an awful hockey player and they're a better team for letting him go.

Pure heavyweight fighters are going the way of the dodo. More guys like Prust who can hit, play and fight? Definitely.
But Prust isn't big, and something something the Bruins Luicic Chara Thornton. Because we only play against 1 team, right?

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
  #48
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Lol @ Parros not being a heavyweight and Lucic not being feared.
The only people scared of Lucic are non fighters and his girlfriend.

Monctonscout is online now  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
  #49
Dagistitsyn
Registered User
 
Dagistitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,513
vCash: 500
Another reason to get Lapierre back... he's up to 230 now

Dagistitsyn is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
  #50
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
wtf, Parros is legit heavyweight and he never fighted Moen or Prust and all the guys you mentionned are middle/lightheavyweight except for Thornton

yes, we need a heavy and we will probably have one with Therrien behind the bench.....
Parros rarely wins a tilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Lol @ Parros not being a heavyweight and Lucic not being feared.
He's not actually.
There's three or four heavy weight in this league and not much of them can play hockey(one?)

Mrb1p is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.