HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Luongo + Schroeder + Raymond + 2013 2nd round draft pick for Phil Kessel + Biggs

I think that should do it.
Lets see if i have this....Luongo would warrant a 1st guranteed...but Kessel wouldn't? IF Kessel is dealt, it will not be Luongo he is dealt for, as it would indicate the begining of the blowup.

Old
01-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Ciccio1980

Kessel for luongo sure why not
The Reimer for Kessler and d sedin

Old
01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Play him with Raymond and Schroeder on the third line. You would have 3 players who all specialize in speed and can play an awesome North/South game. Schroeder would have more options open on both sides and it would really give us a huge punch with all 3 lines. They would technically be our 3rd line, but would be a 3rd line in name only as they would be seeing about as much ice time as the Sedin or the Kesler lines.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Burrows/Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Kessel
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

We would rotate Kassian/Burrows whenever our top two lines were slumping and needed a shakeup.

Kessel would absolutely feast on 3rd pairing defensemen. I can't think of a team in the league that could roll out a 3rd pairing that would have any hope of keeping up with Raymond/Schroeder/Kessel.

If we have the chance to acquire Kessel for Luongo+, we absolutely have to push all our chips in and go for it. I'd give Luongo + 1 of Jensen/Gaunce + a 1st for Kessel in a heartbeat. Kessel's not even a player I like, but if we could add him to this roster without giving up any significant player aside from Luongo we absolutely have to do it.
But if Kessel is adamant about not re-signing in Toronto then they have to trade him or risk losing him at the end of next season for nothing. With each day that passes his value goes down. While I would move Luongo for him straight up right now, perhaps in the offseason my best offer might only be Ballard and a 2.

01-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
But if Kessel is adamant about not re-signing in Toronto then they have to trade him or risk losing him at the end of next season for nothing. With each day that passes his value goes down. While I would move Luongo for him straight up right now, perhaps in the offseason my best offer might only be Ballard and a 2.
LOL....dude, you are a gas. There is zero...count 'em...as in not 1 chance Kessel gets traded for Luongo.

And i'll use your "Luongo mantra", if all we get is Ballard and a 2....we'll just keep him and let him walk.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
If Kessel is legitimately on the market. I am all on board with dealing Schneider+ While he may be a shoot first type, Kessel has underrated playmaking capabilities and would be ideal to add on Kesler's wing. If nothing else, announcers would hate us.

Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Kessel. Good times~

Old
01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL....dude, you are a gas. There is zero...count 'em...as in not 1 chance Kessel gets traded for Luongo.

And i'll use your "Luongo mantra", if all we get is Ballard and a 2....we'll just keep him and let him walk.
You seem bitter...

Old
01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
You seem bitter...
No, not at all. It just comes down to common sense. If the Leafs decide to deal a 25 year old proven PPG player...4 straight 30+ goal scorer...it is because they are going full on rebuild. In what world does bringing in a 33 year old goalie on a long deal make any sense?

Now i know the next points will be "well if Kessel refuses to resign...blah blah", that may happen...i believe management already knows if he will or won't. If he won't, he will be dealt for youth and or highish picks.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
If Kessel is legitimately on the market. I am all on board with dealing Schneider+ While he may be a shoot first type, Kessel has underrated playmaking capabilities and would be ideal to add on Kesler's wing. If nothing else, announcers would hate us.

Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Kessel. Good times~
A couple of things,
1.Would depend on the plus (and i don't think Schnieder is traded...period)

2.Kessel had 40+assists last season, that shoot 1st tag isn't really accurate. His playmaking is very underated.

3.If Kessel is dealt, i think we'd be looking for 1C 1st and foremost (if possible). I'd like to approach LA for something with Bernier being a part of the package.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
A couple of things,
1.Would depend on the plus (and i don't think Schnieder is traded...period)

2.Kessel had 40+assists last season, that shoot 1st tag isn't really accurate. His playmaking is very underated.

3.If Kessel is dealt, i think we'd be looking for 1C 1st and foremost (if possible). I'd like to approach LA for something with Bernier being a part of the package.
Alas, I do not either. Even if it may be the better option should the returns be lackluster for Lu. As for the plus, easier our first and possibly a prospect, especially if Toronto kept a slight bit of salary. Frankly, my only "untouchables" outside the obvious would be Kassian and Jensen.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Nuck This

I want Bjugstad

Jensen Schroeder Kassian
Gaunce Bjugstad ?(2013 first rounder)

Who said our window is closing.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Alas, I do not either. Even if it may be the better option should the returns be lackluster for Lu. As for the plus, easier our first and possibly a prospect, especially if Toronto kept a slight bit of salary. Frankly, my only "untouchables" outside the obvious would be Kassian and Jensen.
I want to retain Kessel at all costs. This guy has done exactly what he was brought here to do. He is looked upon negatively (and totally unfairly) because of the players (picks) he was dealt for. He has produced 30+ goal seasons every year playing with scrubs for centers.

If we HAD to deal him, as i said, i'd be looking to somehow address our lack of 1C.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I want to retain Kessel at all costs. This guy has done exactly what he was brought here to do. He is looked upon negatively (and totally unfairly) because of the players (picks) he was dealt for. He has produced 30+ goal seasons every year playing with scrubs for centers.

If we HAD to deal him, as i said, i'd be looking to somehow address our lack of 1C.

It's all conjecture at this point, but with the Kessel revelation via Dreger, why do you think TOR is even entertaining the thought of moving him if he is young, fits into the re-tool, and your organization can throw gobs of money at him?

I remember us having a conversation about exactly this not to long ago. The longevity of Kessel in TOR.

There's no way TOR deals Kessel for Luongo. Not a chance.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It's all conjecture at this point, but with the Kessel revelation via Dreger, why do you think TOR is even entertaining the thought of moving him if he is young, fits into the re-tool, and your organization can throw gobs of money at him?

I remember us having a conversation about exactly this not to long ago. The longevity of Kessel in TOR.

There's no way TOR deals Kessel for Luongo. Not a chance.
The original Kessel out of TO notion was from Kipper on hockey central, quickly opposed by McLean. Both of those guys are tools. Kessel can't even resign before July 1st 2013 so it's all conjecture right now.

I'm not saying it isn't true, if it is, i'd hope to deal for 1C or top end youth/picks.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
First, the Leafs would trade Kessel (only) for youth, as his trade would certainly indicate an overhaul and rebuild.

Second, the Canucks don't need another 'soft' forward, who is easy to play against.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:19 AM
rune74

Problem with Toronto is that the team is just a mess right now, I don't even think them getting Luongo would do much other then perhaps make them a bit more UFA friendly. They have bad image problems right now from the recent firing of their GM and the appointment of his right hand man as the "defacto" interim GM.

If they trade Kessel they will not get back enough to fix anything for 2 to 3 years. If they don't trade him, whats to say he wants to stay in TO? It is hardly the destination of choice for free agents at the moment. They are probably 5 years away after a total rebuild before they are relevant at all.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
They are probably 5 years away after a total rebuild before they are relevant at all.
If what you say about the Leafs' being 5 years away, then Kessel should be traded now for younger, top-end talent. His peak of performce is now, and will not coincide with the team's future success.

What would you expect in return?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:34 AM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
If what you say about the Leafs' being 5 years away, then Kessel should be traded now for younger, top-end talent. His peak of performce is now, and will not coincide with the team's future success.

What would you expect in return?
I'm not a leafs fan, but I think he would probably get a 1st and a couple good prospects. I really do think they are years away from being good though.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
The original Kessel out of TO notion was from Kipper on hockey central, quickly opposed by McLean. Both of those guys are tools. Kessel can't even resign before July 1st 2013 so it's all conjecture right now.

I'm not saying it isn't true, if it is, i'd hope to deal for 1C or top end youth/picks.

Oh really? Didn't know about Kipper breaking it. Dreger seems to confirm it. If you buy anything from these guys that is. My thinking is why would Dreger comment on it at all if he's not being shopped? It's like they went out of their way to say he's not being shopped, when he wasn't even on the radar, which has to mean there's something there.

You won't get a 1C, but good picks/prospects are definitely a possibility.

It's just funny that with all the talk about him being a young-lock for the roster moving forward, that they now entertain the thought of moving him as soon as Burke's out. Perhaps Nonis is not a fan? Perhaps his "I'm more patient" comment was in direct correlation Burke's "payment" for Kessel, and now he wants to recoup. Interesting stuff indeed.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Problem with Toronto is that the team is just a mess right now, I don't even think them getting Luongo would do much other then perhaps make them a bit more UFA friendly. They have bad image problems right now from the recent firing of their GM and the appointment of his right hand man as the "defacto" interim GM.

If they trade Kessel they will not get back enough to fix anything for 2 to 3 years. If they don't trade him, whats to say he wants to stay in TO? It is hardly the destination of choice for free agents at the moment. They are probably 5 years away after a total rebuild before they are relevant at all.

But then why retain Lupul? Has he become a leader on that team? That's the only reason I can think of to retain him.

They trade Kessel, and it's going to be long road to relevance again. 3 years at least. Makes no sense.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:42 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
First, the Leafs would trade Kessel (only) for youth, as his trade would certainly indicate an overhaul and rebuild.

Second, the Canucks don't need another 'soft' forward, who is easy to play against.
Excellent points.

We are not trading any of our youth and if TML deal Kessel it will be for youth and future because they have finally devided to do a proper re-build as opposed to committing to him long term.

As much as I'd like to see our scoring improve, Kessel does not seem to fit into what we understand as a Gillis type player.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
rune74

Quote:
But then why retain Lupul? Has he become a leader on that team? That's the only reason I can think of to retain him.

They trade Kessel, and it's going to be long road to relevance again. 3 years at least. Makes no sense.
Look at their team, there isn't much there. They retained Lupul, and I think they are hoping to retain kessel and attract so free agents in the summer. But with how they look now they aren't the attractive landing spot for UFA's.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Look at their team, there isn't much there. They retained Lupul, and I think they are hoping to retain kessel and attract so free agents in the summer. But with how they look now they aren't the attractive landing spot for UFA's.

If you retain Lupul and Kessel, you aren't doing a complete rebuild. With Lupul signing you have to assume they are going to keep Kessel. If they lose Kessel, what was the point of signing Lupul?

You either have to sell everything, or keep everything. A complete rebuild doesn't work when you are pulling in two different directions.

And ddawg is right, Kessel gets dealt for youth, something VAN won't give, and something Luongo doesn't fit.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Oh really? Didn't know about Kipper breaking it. Dreger seems to confirm it. If you buy anything from these guys that is. My thinking is why would Dreger comment on it at all if he's not being shopped? It's like they went out of their way to say he's not being shopped, when he wasn't even on the radar, which has to mean there's something there.

You won't get a 1C, but good picks/prospects are definitely a possibility.

It's just funny that with all the talk about him being a young-lock for the roster moving forward, that they now entertain the thought of moving him as soon as Burke's out. Perhaps Nonis is not a fan? Perhaps his "I'm more patient" comment was in direct correlation Burke's "payment" for Kessel, and now he wants to recoup. Interesting stuff indeed.
Basically, since Rogers/Bell bought MLSE, TSN and Sportsnet's main objective is to prove eachother wrong.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
rune74

Quote:
If you retain Lupul and Kessel, you aren't doing a complete rebuild. With Lupul signing you have to assume they are going to keep Kessel. If they lose Kessel, what was the point of signing Lupul?

You either have to sell everything, or keep everything. A complete rebuild doesn't work when you are pulling in two different directions.

And ddawg is right, Kessel gets dealt for youth, something VAN won't give, and something Luongo doesn't fit.
I'm not arguing that. They are in a bad spot I think. They will keep them and hope to add to them with UFA's and rookies. The question is how much will it cost for Kessel and who will want to play for them.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
My thinking is why would Dreger comment on it at all if he's not being shopped? It's like they went out of their way to say he's not being shopped, when he wasn't even on the radar, which has to mean there's something there.
Exactly. And they ran the story again this morning - media generated, yes, but root cause is Leaf management.

Closed Thread