HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
PRNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL....dude, you are a gas. There is zero...count 'em...as in not 1 chance Kessel gets traded for Luongo.

And i'll use your "Luongo mantra", if all we get is Ballard and a 2....we'll just keep him and let him walk.
We get it, you are a Leafs insider and the Leafs don't want Luongo. [mod edit]

Last edited by Dado: 01-30-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Dado

vCash:
Play nice, guys and gals.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Basically, since Rogers/Bell bought MLSE, TSN and Sportsnet's main objective is to prove eachother wrong.

But they agree...? Both networks have cited the possibility of Kessel moving when he wasn't even on the radar. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
I'm not arguing that. They are in a bad spot I think. They will keep them and hope to add to them with UFA's and rookies. The question is how much will it cost for Kessel and who will want to play for them.

True, but if they keep him they aren't rebuilding. This is what I don't understand. They sign Lupul, which should signal an attempt to re-sign Kessel, only now there's info that he is being shopped = what are they doing?

If you were going to shop Kessel in order to rebuild, why sign Lupul? And if you are signing them both in the hope to attract FAs, why aren't you trying to win more now by dealing for vet goaltending?

It just seems like they are pulling themselves in every direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Exactly. And they ran the story again this morning - media generated, yes, but root cause is Leaf management.

Yeah, but it's still weird that TOR management would do so, considering they just signed Lupul? I don't doubt that they may be thinking of moving Kessel, it's just why not go all the way?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Look at their team, there isn't much there. They retained Lupul, and I think they are hoping to retain kessel and attract so free agents in the summer. But with how they look now they aren't the attractive landing spot for UFA's.
I think they are hoping to get Perry/Getzlaf this offseason. They have Carlyle and Burke still within the organization. Lupul being there also helps.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
We get it, you are a Leafs insider and the Leafs don't want Luongo. [mod edit]

PRNuck, the only reason to deal Kessel is to full out rebuild. Luongo doesn't help them do that.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Babs

How many of us actually think Lu goes to TO.

Put me down for "not at all."

I still think Fla for some package involving Stephen Weiss. I think it'll go down a couple games after he returns from injury.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I think they are hoping to get Perry/Getzlaf this offseason. They have Carlyle and Burke still within the organization. Lupul being there also helps.
That will be a tough sell when other more competitive teams will also be bidding for Perry and Getzlaf. The top free agents tend to go to competitive teams if salaries being offered are even close. Every year the Leafs are rumoured to be in on the top free agents but every year they sign elsewhere.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

And if they re-sign? Then what? Keep Kessel or deal him?

Getzlaf and Perry are a pipedream. They would be lucky to get even one because _everyone_ would be putting in their mega offers there.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post

Getzlaf and Perry are a pipedream. They would be lucky to get even one because _everyone_ would be putting in their mega offers there.
They are in a position to be one of the team that would be putting a huge offer down on them. Why wouldn't they? Who's going to out bid them?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Yeah, but it's still weird that TOR management would do so, considering they just signed Lupul? I don't doubt that they may be thinking of moving Kessel, it's just why not go all the way?
Well, that's a question for a smarter man than me!

I get the feeling Toronto management is realizing they're in a bit of a no-man's land situation, and are indecisively oscillating between multiple possible paths forward. But that's just a guess on my part.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:22 AM
StringerBell

I don't see why Toronto re-signing Lupul matters when considering whether or not to deal Kessel. When given a choice of re-signing a top line forward or losing him for nothing, you almost always want to hold onto the asset. Even rebuilding trams need some veterans.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
They are in a position to be one of the team that would be putting a huge offer down on them. Why wouldn't they? Who's going to out bid them?
True. But look back at where the top guys sign. It's not with the teams who are constantly missing the playoffs. Even last year when Minny signed Parise/Suter it was a pretty unique situation and I would argue that Minny was well ahead of Toronto. I think a team with Toronto's track record will not sign a significant free agent until they turn the franchise around.
It's like the Field of Dreams: "If you build it they will come."

Last edited by vanwest: 01-30-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:

Well, I don't think they make that decision (to trade Kessel) till they know what happens in the offseason.

IF they get Getz and Perry, Luongo might also want to go thee if we haven't traded him by then

Old
01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Babs

Where do you think Luongo will go?

I know there's way too many Lu threads, but I'm curious to see some numbers. Seems like there's a never ending dialogue about Lu to TO. I want to see how many people actually believe he's going there. I think I covered every team that I have heard a rumor about.

Can't find another Poll that asks this question and if there is I think things have changed since the start of the season.

Last edited by Babs: 01-30-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post

Probably no one if they're desperate, but it takes two to reach a deal, they have to accept. If it's just about leader type money, I'm sure ANA can pay them.

But more to the point, they _can_ do it. However, wouldn't they wait until they are signed and then shop Kessel? Why put the word out now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I don't see why Toronto re-signing Lupul matters when considering whether or not to deal Kessel. When given a choice of re-signing a top line forward or losing him for nothing, you almost always want to hold onto the asset. Even rebuilding trams need some veterans.

Rebuilding teams need vets, not top line talent. The top liner is going to help them win more games than they should be winning, thereby preventing a true tank.

Re-singing Kessel and going as is puts them in the middle-ground for competitors, which gives them bubble type picks, which makes the rebuild harder/not as good.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Well, I don't think they make that decision (to trade Kessel) till they know what happens in the offseason.

IF they get Getz and Perry, Luongo might also want to go thee if we haven't traded him by then

True, they should wait, but then why put the word out now?

Getzlaf and Perry definitely makes TOR a more attractive destination for players, I'm just not seeing it. A lot would have to go right for TOR.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

You're curious to see some random guesses?

Ok, I'll pick LA!

Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Bleach Clean

You forgot "mystery team".

Old
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Babs

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
You're curious to see some random guesses?

Ok, I'll pick LA!
Sure, why not. Everyone is guessing on all the other Lu threads thought it couldn't hurt to put a number on it.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Wizeman*

Luongo is not being moved until the off season in my opinion. Considering how much Theodore sucks , and Markstrom may never be ready, there could be a deal. Lui is still showing he can be a solid starter.

Hes 13th in GAA and 16th in save percentage.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Approaching 1,000. New thread opened.

Closed.

Closed Thread