HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny

Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
cgf

vCash: 500
I wonder what people would say about Staz if McGinn didn't like pinging the puck off of the post so much. If he had burried those 5 goals like he should've people would probably look at staz very differently despite his play being exactly the same.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I wonder what people would say about Staz if McGinn didn't like pinging the puck off of the post so much. If he had burried those 5 goals like he should've people would probably look at staz very differently despite his play being exactly the same.
I, for one, would be saying "if he can get McGinn 5 easy goals, immagine what he could do with Kessel!"

And I feel exactly the same way now. Would love to see Stastny with Kessel. This is one Leafs fan that would put Gardiner on the table for him. No need to keep any of his salary, either.

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
as an outsider.. Statsny for Phaneuf swap helps both clubs once ROR is resigned.

Leafs are deep on D and COL is deep down the middle. Salary wise it works out as well.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
as an outsider.. Statsny for Phaneuf swap helps both clubs once ROR is resigned.

Leafs are deep on D and COL is deep down the middle. Salary wise it works out as well.
That actually does sound pretty even!

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Fogelhund

A deal of Statsny to Toronto does make a lot of sense, it just comes down to what Colorado would want.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
CaptainCally

Stastny for Phaneuf is usually the offer everyone agrees on after a while. That's what I've noticed in the Stastny/Phaneuf threads.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Volchenkov + Tedenby
for
Stastny

Can't get a better deal then that

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
Stastny for Phaneuf is usually the offer everyone agrees on after a while. That's what I've noticed in the Stastny/Phaneuf threads.
I'm still not interested enough to go with it.

From what I've been told he mainly plays the right side (we need a left side playing defender, thus the LHD we ask for constantly).

He's such a good playmaker and is lacking a finisher. He scored his points back when Hejduk was still good and with Stewart/Smyth as linemates. Jones, when on his game, plays well with Stastny and knows how to score... but as the running joke goes the guy is drunk more often than sober.

I still feel he's hampered by the team and not himself. I haven't noticed a change in his game or abilities like I do with Hejduk or did with Wolski who are players that actually regressed.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

The Leafs, as a team, could maybe get by trading Phaneuf for Stastny (although I personally don't like it).

But there is no way the organization would do it. Value aside, management and ownership would never make that move. They have hitched the wagon to Dion, and are going to move forward with him.

What do Colarado fans think of Gardiner?

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
What do Colarado fans think of Gardiner?
Still too unproven to be the basis of a deal around one of our centers.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
I'd ship him for Phaneuf based on a ROR signing.

Love staz and would hate to see him go, but EJ and Phaneuf is quite the first pairing. Scarbo could fill in between jones and mcginn very well in a year on a third line.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:26 AM
cgf

Phaneuf is a talent and all, but EJ's spent his whole time playing in Colorado with defensemen he's had to clean up for, Dion's awesome but his aggressive style would mean EJ continuing to have to play a reserved and cautious style. I want to see EJ open up with someone who'll be reliable and be able to clean up for him. A guy like Vlasic, Enstrom or Yandle who can skate, and has the great intelligence to always be where he needs to be.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Phaneuf is a talent and all, but EJ's spent his whole time playing in Colorado with defensemen he's had to clean up for, Dion's awesome but his aggressive style would mean EJ continuing to have to play a reserved and cautious style. I want to see EJ open up with someone who'll be reliable and be able to clean up for him. A guy like Vlasic, Enstrom or Yandle who can skate, and has the great intelligence to always be where he needs to be.
Somebody reliable and able to clean up for him isn't needed. Jan Hejda is an awful offensive defenceman but is steady eddy at home. Everybody in avland was so happy when hejda was signed because EJ had somebody to stay around while he can rush and play with the puck and it was awful and not because of Hejda. EJ is one of the better dman in the league, but not for the reasons avs fans think. He's an allround player and highly above average in every aspect. He doesn't need somebody to clean up for him. He need somebody who can work with him so they can compliment each other in the same way Phaneuf is in need.

I cant think of a better partner for EJ and if my fellow av fans can look at reality for a second im sure you can all agree with me.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Dion isn't really that aggressive anymore. He really toned his game down to limit his faults yet he still could put up points because of his natural skills. Don't get me wrong, he still needs someone to clean up for him because his IQ is lacking therefore he has trouble adjusting on the fly. I agree with you though, if you want EJ to open up then the two are a terrible pairing.

I'll list another name which would be perfect for EJ. This player doesn't have any outstanding attributes but literally could do it all. He's a rock defensively yet he's massively underrated on HF. His name is Carl Gunnarsson. He's the type of defenseman you could pair with EJ and he'll take care of his own and EJ can exploit his offensive prowess. Gunnarsson has good hockey sense, can skate, can pass, and handle the puck. He does all those things well.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
to NSH: Stastny

to Col: David Legwand, Ryan Ellis, 3rd round pick
Staz for Josi? With a defenseman and centre swapping as well.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
HappyGilmourr

If Stastny ever truly became available I think the leafs would have to be in on this. Bozak could be the centre going back making him battle it out for 2nd line job... But more than likely be the 3rd line c. Bozak has been a 1st liner for us the last few years but I think most leafs fans agree he is a 2nd/3rd line centre. Great on faceoffs and contributes 40-50 points.

The other piece would have to be quite significant to upgrade from Bozak to Stastny. I think adding in Gardiner or Reilly would be overpaying considering Stastny's PPG the last couple of seasons + cap hit... but really the Avs have no reason to trade him away. He's not an elite centre - I don't think he ever will put up huge numbers again, but if he could be a 1B centre for us and provide 60 points a year with above average defense thats a valuable piece.

Not sure what else Colorado would be interested in but I feel Toronto has valuable pieces that could make sense. JVR, Gardiner, Reilly, Kadri etc all come available for a player like Stastny.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Volchenkov + Tedenby
for
Stastny

Can't get a better deal then that
If we were contender then I would do that, but considering we are still rebuilding the guy needs to be atleast under the age of 27-28.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
If Stastny ever truly became available I think the leafs would have to be in on this. Bozak could be the centre going back making him battle it out for 2nd line job... But more than likely be the 3rd line c. Bozak has been a 1st liner for us the last few years but I think most leafs fans agree he is a 2nd/3rd line centre. Great on faceoffs and contributes 40-50 points.

The other piece would have to be quite significant to upgrade from Bozak to Stastny. I think adding in Gardiner or Reilly would be overpaying considering Stastny's PPG the last couple of seasons + cap hit... but really the Avs have no reason to trade him away. He's not an elite centre - I don't think he ever will put up huge numbers again, but if he could be a 1B centre for us and provide 60 points a year with above average defense thats a valuable piece.

Not sure what else Colorado would be interested in but I feel Toronto has valuable pieces that could make sense. JVR, Gardiner, Reilly, Kadri etc all come available for a player like Stastny.
The main piece we would want is Phaneuf. I don't know how many leafs would want to give him up, but there is no need for Gardiner on our team.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Fogelhund

As a Leafs fan, I'd do Statsny for Phaneuf.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
As a Leafs fan, I'd do Statsny for Phaneuf.
I'm on the fence....which i guess means it's fair. Not sure who becomes our 25+ minute #1D though.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Assuming ROR is signed and playing with the Avs. A swap around Phaneuf and Stastny seems pretty fair. There would have to probably be other parts moving to balance rosters. Pending UFA depth defensemen for pending UFA center.

Basically something around:

To Toronto:
Stastny
O'Byrne (or choice of any defensemen not named Johnson, Wilson, Barrie, Elliott, Siemens)

To Colorado:
Phaneuf
MacArthur/Bozak

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Faltorvo

Well, i have to say, of all the Cs that there might be a sliver of chance of being traded , Stast is #1 on my wish list.

What troubles me is, does a Dion for Stast do anything for us?

We gain our #1c and lose our #1d.

Fill one big hole by digging another?

I would be more interested in building a package around Grabo.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

O'Rielly isn't signed so Stastny isn't being traded.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:58 PM
seanlinden

Phaneuf & Stastny may sound even in terms of "value", but that's about it. Hockey trades (like this one would obviously have to be) aren't made based on value, they're made based on what's in each team's best interest.

From a Toronto standpoint, Phaneuf for Stastny just doesn't work. The guy is our top defenceman, playing an average of 28 minutes a night alongside a 26-year old career AHL defenceman. Paul Stastny might be that #1 centre we're looking for, but even if he is, it's filling one hole and creating another. Furthermore, 3 consecutive years at declining production, creates doubt as to whether or not he actually fills that hole. There's nobody in the Leafs system who can take over Phaneuf's minutes right now. It's all guys who need to be around the 20 mark.

From a Colorado standpoint, I suspect you'd have a much tougher time suggesting that Stastny couldn't be replaced internally, with ROR signed obviously.

The Leafs have depth on D, but that's not to be confused with talent that belongs at the top of the lineup. They've got a #1, a #3, and a bunch of #4-6 guys. The Avs have an excess of talent at centre that belongs at the top of the lineup. They've got 2 guys that are arguably capable of being #1s, and Ryan O'Reilly who fills a real nice role as a #2.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Any interest in Desharnais? Probably not...

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote