HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the League LIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Hodgson's shot is very good, the problem is that due to his lack of acceleration and below average mobility, he's going to have a hard time creating the space necessary to get it off from dangerous spots on a consistent basis. It only gets harder when you're forced to do that against other 1st liners or shutdown lines.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Right, Hodgson is really blowing away the competition with his snipe skills.

His "hands, vision" are nothing unique. His play has fallen off quite dramatically, he's being carried by two players that have double the points he has.
those two players are Vanek and Pominville and they aren't exactly 22 year olds in their 2nd full season. Nothing "unique" huh? name two players not name Sedins with better hands than Hodgson on Canucks. Cody just lacks skating no need to knock on his other skills just because he got traded.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
those two players are Vanek and Pominville and they aren't exactly 22 year olds in their 2nd full season. Nothing "unique" huh? name two players not name Sedins with better hands than Hodgson on Canucks. Cody just lacks skating no need to knock on his other skills just because he got traded.
I would argue that Kassian has much better hands than Hodgson, Raymond as well, despite knocking on him, he is very good at stickhandling in close and creating space.

Regardless, hands are dime a dozen, Tim Connolly is probably one of the best stickhandlers in the league and is playing in the AHL.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:54 AM
jigsaw99

Kassian does not have better hands than Hodgson. wtf are you smoking? at least say like Shroeder or something. If Kassian has better hands than Hodgson he'd be Rick Nash. Raymond's hands are about as good as Burrows which is not Hodgson level.

Hands are not a dime a dozen you are thinking of size. If that's the case you wont have trouble naming players on Canucks with better hands than Hodgson. Tim Connolly is a pretty awesome player in his prime its too bad with the injuries. I agree hands are not everything but it is clear that hands and skills are not the problem for Hodgson.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Kassian does not have better hands than Hodgson. wtf are you smoking? at least say like Shroeder or something. If Kassian has better hands than Hodgson he'd be Rick Nash. Raymond's hands are about as good as Burrows which is not Hodgson level.

Hands are not a dime a dozen you are thinking of size. If that's the case you wont have trouble naming players on Canucks with better hands than Hodgson. Tim Connolly is a pretty awesome player in his prime its too bad with the injuries. I agree hands are not everything but it is clear that hands and skills are not the problem for Hodgson.
When's the last time Hodgson dangled someone out?

Every time he goes on an odd man rush or shootout, he either snaps it or slaps it. He uses fakes at most, but never really any crazy puck handling tricks that undresses defenders or goalies.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:51 AM
ZenMaster*

Quote:

Let me know when Hodgson does this in the NHL:

Old
01-30-2013, 03:20 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
When's the last time Hodgson dangled someone out?

Every time he goes on an odd man rush or shootout, he either snaps it or slaps it. He uses fakes at most, but never really any crazy puck handling tricks that undresses defenders or goalies.
Hodgson can't dangle anyone out in NHL because he lack NHL speed. Hard to get past a player if you can't accelerate fast and explode past them. He has quick hands and a quick release which makes allows him to a quick move to freeze the goalie and snipe it past them once they bite just a lil bit.

Last edited by jigsaw99: 01-30-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 03:24 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:

quick shot with good accuracy which means he doesn't need to deke in shootouts.

I am all for the Kassian trade but there is no way Kassian has better hands than Hodgson. We traded for his size, intensity and power forward capability. He is no Bertuzzi though.

Old
01-30-2013, 04:15 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
I think it's pretty evident Kassian has quick hands too.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
He is no Bertuzzi though.
Which is a good thing actually - unless you only want only one great season & one solid season out of said player.

Quote:
those two players are Vanek and Pominville and they aren't exactly 22 year olds in their 2nd full season.
Doesn't change the fact that he is being carried by those two other players; same can't be said of the Sedins & Kassian. This isn't to say, it's going to stay like that; only that is how it is right now. And to be fair, Hodsgon has a tougher job being a center vs a winger on his line (more responsibilities).

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 01-30-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Nuck This

Quote:

Dude, get off the Hodgson bandwagon. It's made a lot of you look foolish from the get go. All the fan boys were pretty embarrassing. It's time you stopped. He sucks. He's so bad defensively... just glides around on his heavy feet. I've watched most of the Sabres games this year and he hasn't improved since junior lol. He was an early bloomer who has major speed and strength issues. It's as if he has cement in his skates. We dominated that trade. Give Kassian his due. He's the way better prospect. Hodgson isn't very good. I don't see him improving much more, whereas Kassian has a lot more room for growth.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:30 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Dude, get off the Hodgson bandwagon. It's made a lot of you look foolish from the get go. All the fan boys were pretty embarrassing. It's time you stopped. He sucks. He's so bad defensively... just glides around on his heavy feet. I've watched most of the Sabres games this year and he hasn't improved since junior lol. He was an early bloomer who has major speed and strength issues. It's as if he has cement in his skates. We dominated that trade. Give Kassian his due. He's the way better prospect. Hodgson isn't very good. I don't see him improving much more, whereas Kassian has a lot more room for growth.
I'm glad we were able to trade Hodgson, and like you I have watched the Sabres games this year.

I would qualify the "he sucks" comment with "He sucks in the role he is placed in."

Hodgson did relatively well in the sheltered role he was placed in here.

He is misused n Buffalo and the confidence that he has built up is fading very quickly. That seems quite clear to me. half the time he looks confused and behind the play.

You can't put kids in roles they are not suited or ready for...and he is not suited or ready for first line mnutes at this stage in his career.

And this misuse could further compromise his development.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I'm glad we were able to trade Hodgson, and like you I have watched the Sabres games this year.

I would qualify the "he sucks" comment with "He sucks in the role he is placed in."

He is misused n Buffalo and the confidence that he has built up is fading very quickly. That seems quite clear to me. half the time he looks confused and behind the play.

You can't put kids in roles they are not suited or ready for...and he is not suited or ready for first line mnutes at this stage in his career.

Good comment. I agree completely. So many kids get ruined by being rushed. Unfortunately for Cody, Vancouver would have probably been the better environment to improve in.

I liked Cody on the Canucks, but was happy when they got Kassian on board. As has been said many times, the combination of size and skill is hard to come by.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

Cody's dad respectfully disagrees.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Cody's dad respectfully disagrees.
Yeah, no kidding.

Still remains the total red flag for me.

Last edited by ddawg1950: 01-30-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Auto correct sux.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Good comment. I agree completely. So many kids get ruined by being rushed. Unfortunately for Cody, Vancouver would have probably been the better environment to improve in.

I liked Cody on the Canucks, but was happy when they got Kassian on board. As has been said many times, the combination of size and skill is hard to come by.
And we've seen to many Canucks youngsters in the past ruined by this desperate style of management.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
And we've seen to many Canucks youngsters in the past ruined by this desperate style of management.
Agree. You can go all the way to the start of the franchise for an example of this (eg., Dale Tallon). Unfortunately for the franchise, it was a mistake repeated far too many times.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hodgson's shot is very good, the problem is that due to his lack of acceleration and below average mobility, he's going to have a hard time creating the space necessary to get it off from dangerous spots on a consistent basis. It only gets harder when you're forced to do that against other 1st liners or shutdown lines.
This hasn't really been the case so far this year. Hodgson has been able to get his shot off quite often. In fact, Hodgson has 21 shots in 6 games, second to only Vanek on the Sabres. 21 shots would put him second to only Burrows on the Canucks.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
This hasn't really been the case so far this year. Hodgson has been able to get his shot off quite often. In fact, Hodgson has 21 shots in 6 games, second to only Vanek on the Sabres. 21 shots would put him second to only Burrows on the Canucks.
"from dangerous spots on a consistent basis" was kind of the key point there.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:28 PM
PRNuck

Quote:

Boom, roasted. Anyone have the video of the move he put on Luongo in the intersquad game? That was filthy too.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Well, I don't know exactly what you define as "dangerous spots", but Hodgson has been getting quality shots away. It isn't like all of his shots are perimeter shots.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Yeah, I'd say he's still getting chances, but they don't seem to be part of the general game play....the puck just bounces to him sometimes.

It means he's still in good spots offensively (hence why I think two of his 3 goals bounced in off of him - probably was credited with shots on those instances too).

His problem will always be keeping up with and staying in the play and being able to get back, if he can't he's going to continue to struggle.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
It's odd that I didn't see this much criticism of Hodgson last year....

Old
01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
No it's not.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Not really, but there were certainly some here that criticized him. I thought he was lucky to make the team over Schroeder (and there was a decent number of other posters who agreed), and looking back that decision seemed to, at least in part, be motivated by the situation the club found themselves in with Cody's camp.

At the same time, it's hard to be too critical of your own prospects when you obviously want them to succeed for the good of the club.

Closed Thread