HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Erik Gudbranson (2010, 3rd overall, Florida)

Old
01-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Parise9Crosby87

vCash: 500
hes still really young but i think he could 40-50 point player

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:55 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I think he becomes in essence a Braydon Coburn type player if everything goes well; a #2-3 defenseman who skates well, provides rock solid defense and scores ~30 points a year

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:21 PM
ISLESnPANTHERS

20-30 pts, a rock on defense, and a leader. Thats what I see him as at his peak.

ISLESnPANTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:19 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

I think he'll be good. Maybe not #1 defenseman good but I still expect him to do quite well as a #2 or #3 defenseman.

01-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

All hail.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

yeah baby

Panthers607 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:52 PM
blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I like this kid a lot, but lets put those 20min/night numbers in context.

The only playoff games he eclipsed 20 minutes were overtime games.

He played as a #5, only topping Jovo and Tyson Strachan in minutes played by d-men those games (Rightfully so as he was only 20).

He played 14-16 minutes a night on avg, the OT games were outliers.

He still isn't anything more than a 3rd pairing defender, and that is fine, I just take exception with throwing out 20 mins/game like its fact.

We heard the same thing about Cody Franson, and he never once topped 20 minutes on the leafs last year, proof that you don't believe everything you read.
Yes, because he'll never ever play 20 minutes per game a night. Give your head a shake...

Cody Franson and the Leafs are like a trainwreck. Leafs brass apparently has something against him and Franson barely wants to be in Toronto. Franson is a much better dman than he has shown in T.O., but what else is new? Everyone plays like **** there.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I'm starting to think he might be more of Erik Okaybranson.

It seems a little weird to call him Erik Pretty Gudbranson, so that'll have to do.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Yes, because he'll never ever play 20 minutes per game a night. Give your head a shake...

Cody Franson and the Leafs are like a trainwreck. Leafs brass apparently has something against him and Franson barely wants to be in Toronto. Franson is a much better dman than he has shown in T.O., but what else is new? Everyone plays like **** there.
Who are you talking about?

Gudbranson? I think he'll play well over 20 minutes a night once he's established himself in the NHL.

If you're referring to Franson, I just used him as an example of someone that was called a '20 min a night' defensman, when the numbers just don't back it up. Just looked up Franson's game log...he has 4 games in his entire NHL career where he's eclipsed 20 minutes and one of them was a double OT playoff game.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:13 AM
IceManCat
A New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
I'm starting to think he might be more of Erik Okaybranson.

It seems a little weird to call him Erik Pretty Gudbranson, so that'll have to do.

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
blink

Quote:
I like this kid a lot, but lets put those 20min/night numbers in context.

The only playoff games he eclipsed 20 minutes were overtime games.

He played as a #5, only topping Jovo and Tyson Strachan in minutes played by d-men those games (Rightfully so as he was only 20).

He played 14-16 minutes a night on avg, the OT games were outliers.

He still isn't anything more than a 3rd pairing defender, and that is fine, I just take exception with throwing out 20 mins/game like its fact.

We heard the same thing about Cody Franson, and he never once topped 20 minutes on the leafs last year, proof that you don't believe everything you read.
I guess this is the thing that baffles me about your post. You say you like the kid a lot but he is only a third pairing defenceman in your view. What I am getting from that is that you feel Florida made a good 3rd overall pick on a bottom pairing defenceman.

Quote:
Who are you talking about?

Gudbranson? I think he'll play well over 20 minutes a night once he's established himself in the NHL.

If you're referring to Franson, I just used him as an example of someone that was called a '20 min a night' defensman, when the numbers just don't back it up. Just looked up Franson's game log...he has 4 games in his entire NHL career where he's eclipsed 20 minutes and one of them was a double OT playoff game.
I was referring to Gudbranson. I think the people that are referring to him as a 20 minute per night defenceman are meaning what his future will be. I'm a New Jersey fan and Gudbranson impressed the hell out of me in that playoff series.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
nitz

Bit of a disappointment for #3 overall. Hopefully not Cam Barker bad.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Stephen

How's he doing now? Not seeing a lot of hype following this guy around at all, so is that a function of being a Panther, or is he just not living up to the third overall tag?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
How's he doing now? Not seeing a lot of hype following this guy around at all, so is that a function of being a Panther, or is he just not living up to the third overall tag?
Doesn't seem to have the offensive potential that people originally thought he had which is probably why the hype has gone down.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 04:38 AM
LuckyLuke87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Part of both. Being a Panther doesn't really help, but he's not living up to the potential (as he's not even half the player Fowler already is). Being injured as often as he is doesn't help either.

LuckyLuke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 05:26 AM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

I see him as a 25+pt #3D who plays the opposition hard, not a top pairing guy, but a very good player imo

OEL for Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
FrolikFan67

when he has time to play and settle into the lineup he looks good. then he ends up getting some kind of injury. this year it was the eye. and it doesn't help his line mates are always garbage (jovo or some ahl tweener) and he gets no pp time even though he has a great one timer. olsen was his line mate when we traded for him and that pairing was incredible. keep in mind he's just finishing up his 3rd season (which is really 2 1/2). he's been great, he just needs a good partner and no injuries to set him back. he's my favorite player on the team and most likely our future captain.
id agree he'll be a solid #3 thats big and rough and hard to play against. and his #'s will start coming around. he's got a tremendous shot. so once he gets more ice time, better line mate, and some pp time, the #s will come, but nothing crazy.

and even though he was drafted #3, idk how many people where expecting him to become a weber or subban or anything like that. we're getting exactly what we expected. a guy who will be tough to play against, big and tough, wreck you in the corners, and has the tools to develop some offense (in time), as well as being a leader.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Do Panthers fans believe he was rushed too quickly into the NHL?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Petri1981

He was just picked too high. Size is overrated here in this case. Ofc it helps, but gudbranson got overrated because of his size. In terms of talent he was not even top 10 going into this draft in my opinion.

Petri1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:11 AM
puppydog

Some times in the Ontario Hockey League and in the pre draft year some individuals get over hyped. Tough for these kids to live up to unrealistic expectations. Watching the NFL Combines the last couple of days has made me think that the NHL drafts kids too early. They are men. Ours are boys.

puppydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Mike Martin

Dylan McIlrath who was drafted high for the Rangers is a similar player and still in the minors but I think Gudbranson will end up being a better player than him.

Mike Martin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:46 AM
AaronEkbald
Lu

Gudbranson was valuable to our team in our last playoff series against the Devils. Since the refs put away the whistles, Guddy's physicality was dominant and really wore down the opposition. He has been getting better every game. While I'll agree he was drafted too high, at the same time, it's absolutely necessary to have a player like Guddy on your team.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:08 AM
ShootIt

He has undergone a lot of maturing on the ice this year.

Last year he was awful offensively, porous defensively and reckless with his hits.

This year he is handling the puck much better and isn't hesitant to shoot the puck.
Defensively, he is much more comfortable in his own zone, and played well when he was paired with a defenseman not named Jovo.
He still delivers big hits, but not getting thrown out/penalties after dishing out the hits. He is getting smarter on when/how he checks an opposing player.

I don't think he was rushed into the NHL, he spent a year in the CHL after being drafted, and I think his mindset on not making the team right away made him have a down year in the WHL.

It sucks seeing Fowler, Skinner and Johansen doing better, but I still think Gudbranson could be a good #3, with a low shot at a #2 if he can continue to progress.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:11 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Do Panthers fans believe he was rushed too quickly into the NHL?
They should.

He's got an awful lot of NHL games for a 22 year old. He's never had the chance to play 20+ minutes a night in a key role at the Pro level. Could have used some AHL development.

He's still got upside for sure, but it sure looks like he was taken early. For reference, Brandon Gormley (who was rated as high or higher than Gudbranson) still hasn't played an NHL game. He got that extra junior season and two in the AHL.

Hindsight is always 20-20 though.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
dyzfunctioned

People expect too much out of young d-men these days it seems. Erik Gudbranson is 22 - a lot of D don't get things figured out until they're 25.

The emergence of young d stars like Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Doughty, etc. has made people start to think this is normal for d-men to become stars at a young age. It isn't. These guys are the exception, not the rule.

Shea Weber didn't play in his first NHL season until he was 22 and didn't really become a star until he was 24. Chara was 27-28. Keith 25. Kronwall 29.

I wouldn't hand out a verdict on any young d-man until they're at least 24. I don't think Gudbranson was rushed either - if it weren't for the contract dispute he would have been in the NHL the year he was drafted.

That being said, he was never drafted with the expectations of being a 50 point d-man.

dyzfunctioned is offline   Reply With Quote