HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Ryan Spooner Get the Third Line Duty Over Chris Bourque?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Who did Seguin line up with? So 1-6 games is all that's needed for you to evaluate a player based on his shots and points?
No, but Chris Bourque is 27 and has played 400 AHL games, it's enough to know that he's nothing.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:11 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
No, but Chris Bourque is 27 and has played 400 AHL games, it's enough to know that he's nothing.
So 395 points in 398 AHL games is nothing. Then there's noone down there anywhere.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
TCL40

Quote:
So 395 points in 398 AHL games is nothing.
I don't think it is nothing, but AHL success doesn't always translate into NHL success. Some guys struggle with the jump and I often think guys on the smaller side struggle the most with the jump.

Right now the b's are winning, but I can't help but think the front office isn't coming up with a contingency plan for when this likely doesn't pan out (either somebody else from Providence or a trade).

I can see them at some point maybe trying a line shuffle. I wonder if at some point they may not try Seguin with Kelly again (Seguin and Kelly looked good together last season) but a struggling Seguin with a struggling Kelly may not help and could make things worse.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
So 395 points in 398 AHL games is nothing. Then there's noone down there anywhere.
Alexandre Giroux got 700 points in 700-some games. Does that make him a legit NHL player ? He couldn't crack a bunch of terrible NHL teams with no depth. His name isn't Alexandre Bourque so he's now in the KHL. You're telling me that a team that pretends to be a SC contender can afford to have Bourque playing a regular shift and even getting PP time ?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

I don't think Spooner's ready, personally, but I haven't seen enough of him to say that with total confidence. Sadly, he might be the best in-house option, save MacDermid.

I'm most inclined to agree with those that say put MacDermid on the 4th line and move Paille up to the 3rd. It might be to the detriment of the 4th line, but I'm more concerned with the 3rd line being the best it can be than the 4th. The team wins on depth, and right now they're not getting much of anything from beyond the top 6 (and, honestly, there are times that the top 6 is underwhelming too so far).

Quote:
We saw what being patient with Pouliot and Begin lead to... when a player isn't good, you won't gain anything from being patient.
Pouliot got 16g & 16a in limited minutes on the 3rd line ... I'm not sure what more was expected from him. People liked to rail on him for one of two reasons (1, he was a former Hab, and, 2, he wasn't an in-house call-up) but I thought he did all that was asked of him.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
This is why I think they are still keeping the 3rd line as is. IF the team starts losing they may look to change, but I figure the front office is thinking as long as they are winning they can give him some time.
They have 6 games in the next 2 weeks- that will complete 25% of the schedule....if he is still at donut status on Feb 12th after the Rangers game or an odd assist or even goal, then a case can be made.

They have a lot of rope on this considering they are winning and we are talking third line winger here- there is Caron and Sauve, and even Tardiff in Providence who have had success at that level- or in Caron's case some at the NHL game (hey, he did get first star last year in Toronto)

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Fire Julien

Pouliot was crap in the playoffs and cost 2 games with his turnovers... all the fans from his former teams that were warning us that he's just a stupid player were proven to be right.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:11 AM
BergyWho37

Why the panic about bourque ??? Caron doesn't exactly light it up but we've given him lots of chances ... so what's the deal ? Sure a couple mistakes and maybe getting bumped off the puck cause of size a bit .... but to rip him cause he's 27 and never really got a fair chance to prove himself in the NHL is silly !!

Bourque has good hands with lots of speed ... IMO Kelly has been rough one on that line Pev's nd Bourque have been flying the last 2 games and I believe those too are starting to gel as well..

I Know people will question me on this one but i'll say it anyways I wonder about switching Seguin and Kelly.... I truely believe that were not using Segs speed enough !!! Also would add cause of Bergy nd Marchy great chemistry they don't pass the puck as much to Segs..

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Alexandre Giroux got 700 points in 700-some games. Does that make him a legit NHL player ? He couldn't crack a bunch of terrible NHL teams with no depth. His name isn't Alexandre Bourque so he's now in the KHL. You're telling me that a team that pretends to be a SC contender can afford to have Bourque playing a regular shift and even getting PP time ?
I think what he's saying is that he's not sure yet. If you're making that assumption at this point, then it's likely just the opinion that you had before the season started... now backed up with six games of "stats."

Now, you may be right. Actually, you most likely ARE. I don't see the high potential for Bourque to be a legit contributor to this club on the third line. Didn't like the idea to begin with and he hasn't done anything to change my mind.

But I said I was going to give him a chance. And that's what I'm going to do. Six games isn't enough to define anyone as anything. Bourque while not being great by any means, hasn't been awful either. Sometimes I think people's want to be disappointed can crush the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyWho37 View Post
Why the panic about bourque ??? Caron doesn't exactly light it up but we've given him lots of chances ... so what's the deal ? Sure a couple mistakes and maybe getting bumped off the puck cause of size a bit .... but to rip him cause he's 27 and never really got a fair chance to prove himself in the NHL is silly !!

Bourque has good hands with lots of speed ... IMO Kelly has been rough one on that line Pev's nd Bourque have been flying the last 2 games and I believe those too are starting to gel as well..

I Know people will question me on this one but i'll say it anyways I wonder about switching Seguin and Kelly.... I truely believe that were not using Segs speed enough !!! Also would add cause of Bergy nd Marchy great chemistry they don't pass the puck as much to Segs..
Caron is big, kills penalties and has better career stats than Bourque.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I don't think it is nothing, but AHL success doesn't always translate into NHL success. Some guys struggle with the jump and I often think guys on the smaller side struggle the most with the jump.

Right now the b's are winning, but I can't help but think the front office isn't coming up with a contingency plan for when this likely doesn't pan out (either somebody else from Providence or a trade).

I can see them at some point maybe trying a line shuffle. I wonder if at some point they may not try Seguin with Kelly again (Seguin and Kelly looked good together last season) but a struggling Seguin with a struggling Kelly may not help and could make things worse.
I always think of a Jody Gage when this is brought up, a guy who did nothing but produce solid AHL numbers, believe a PPG total in over a 1000 games and 29pts in the bigs. Not saying this is the exact same as Bourque would do but, that 3rd line wing is missing that size element that a, dare I say, Caron could bring, no issues with Paille moving up short term to bring the size up a bit, then MacD on the 4th, and when Caron healthy, insert him in.

The effort is there from Bourque, just doesn`t have "it" for me

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
"Pretends"?

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:27 AM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

I think I have solved the problem.

Former 14th overall pick in the 2008 entry draft has gone on waivers, Zach Boychuk.

If any team can bring back a players career it is the Bruins, plus the Bruins fans already love Johnny Boychuk so why the hell not.

Thoughts?

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
I think I have solved the problem.

Former 14th overall pick in the 2008 entry draft has gone on waivers, Zach Boychuk.

If any team can bring back a players career it is the Bruins, plus the Bruins fans already love Johnny Boychuk so why the hell not.

Thoughts?
Probably will go to the Islanders.

As much as... Nah. I dig the kid, but if the B's are going to take a chance of this nature, I'd rather it on someone with some size. Boychuk has talent, but has only put up moderately decent numbers in the AHL, while not being effective with the 'Canes.

It's interesting. It's tempting. But I'd rather pass on this one.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Are we really comparing Chris Bourque to Seguin and Thornton?

Seguin and Thornton were 18 year old kids, Bourque is a 27 year old AHL vagabond.

I've said it a dozen times, the guy is not an NHL player, at least not on this hockey club. We are a Cup contending team and can't afford to let a guy "live the dream". He plays FAR too much. Powerplay time, regular third line shift, shootout. He brings nothing.

He's a skill guy who has had no impact on any games to date, none. Tyler Seguin is struggling (I think he is still in Euro League mode) but he is getting chances and back checking. He is helping in other areas. Bourque just kind of skates around but does not get anywhere.

The experiment is done. I'd dress McDermid to play on the Merlot and move Paille to the 3rd line with CK and Pevs. Roll with that for a couple of games, what is there to lose at this point? We need more size up front anyway.

This whole argument is moot. As soon as Caron is healthy we won't see Bourque again.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:36 AM
BergyWho37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Caron is big, kills penalties and has better career stats than Bourque.
He also started career with the bruins and got a fair chance... The understanding of need time to gel with linemates is well overlooked .. Not ripping Caron just saying he had time to gel before he produced too

Bourque is small can get into tight areas also plays PP and very speedy has way more points in AHL compared to Caron I can do that too Really means nothing though

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I always think of a Jody Gage when this is brought up, a guy who did nothing but produce solid AHL numbers, believe a PPG total in over a 1000 games and 29pts in the bigs. Not saying this is the exact same as Bourque would do but, that 3rd line wing is missing that size element that a, dare I say, Caron could bring, no issues with Paille moving up short term to bring the size up a bit, then MacD on the 4th, and when Caron healthy, insert him in.

The effort is there from Bourque, just doesn`t have "it" for me
And see... I'd rather the effort from Bourque, then the "who cares" mentality from Caron.

I really, really WANT to like Caron. I think he's a good hockey player. But he's done absolutely nothing to deserve a place on this team this season... and I don't want him here because of that.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Any chance Sauve comes up? He's healthy now, right?

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They're 6-0-1! You're implying Bourque is getting a shot because of his last name which I say is ludicrous. Caron (48 games 0 goals 0 assists in 6 games) got a bigger chance with a lesser AHL resume' as did Hamill (16 games 0 goals 2 assists).

Old
01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
And see... I'd rather the effort from Bourque, then the "who cares" mentality from Caron.

I really, really WANT to like Caron. I think he's a good hockey player. But he's done absolutely nothing to deserve a place on this team this season... and I don't want him here because of that.
I like his board play and willingness to use his body at the NHL level, I hear all the underwhelming words said about his effort/production at the AHL level but.....that big frame and solid board work can change the impact of a line's effort

Old
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Any chance Sauve comes up? He's healthy now, right?
He's healthy for NOW. Until he sneezes and all his bones break and his guts come out.

Actually, if it comes down to it - I'd give Sauve another look before anyone else in Providence right now.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:43 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Are we really comparing Chris Bourque to Seguin and Thornton?

Seguin and Thornton were 18 year old kids, Bourque is a 27 year old AHL vagabond.

I've said it a dozen times, the guy is not an NHL player, at least not on this hockey club. We are a Cup contending team and can't afford to let a guy "live the dream". He plays FAR too much. Powerplay time, regular third line shift, shootout. He brings nothing.

He's a skill guy who has had no impact on any games to date, none. Tyler Seguin is struggling (I think he is still in Euro League mode) but he is getting chances and back checking. He is helping in other areas. Bourque just kind of skates around but does not get anywhere.

The experiment is done. I'd dress McDermid to play on the Merlot and move Paille to the 3rd line with CK and Pevs. Roll with that for a couple of games, what is there to lose at this point? We need more size up front anyway.

This whole argument is moot. As soon as Caron is healthy we won't see Bourque again.
The point is that 6 games is woefully inadequate to assess any player especially when the player's linemates are underperforming too.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I like his board play and willingness to use his body at the NHL level, I hear all the underwhelming words said about his effort/production at the AHL level but.....that big frame and solid board work can change the impact of a line's effort
For a fourth line, that's okay. I don't know.

Like I say, I see an NHL player in Caron. A GOOD one. But I can't find it in me to excuse his production at a lower level that he SHOULD be excelling in. There are players on that team who play like they seriously want a shot in Boston; not like they are being handed one regardless.

To me? I'd just rather give it to a player who is putting the effort in to earn his place.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
For a fourth line, that's okay. I don't know.

Like I say, I see an NHL player in Caron. A GOOD one. But I can't find it in me to excuse his production at a lower level that he SHOULD be excelling in. There are players on that team who play like they seriously want a shot in Boston; not like they are being handed one regardless.

To me? I'd just rather give it to a player who is putting the effort in to earn his place.
Totally understand your logic and opinions. You and I have seen both sides, loads of players who underwhelm in the AHL are able to play more consistently at the higher levels, guys who light up the AHL can't buy an assist in the NHL.

For me, this isn't about point production as Caron isn't that, but I will take his style of game, on this team in this system over Bourque right now. I don't dislike Bourque, I just see him as being a strange fit on a line that requires an element he can't bring.

Biggest issue I see with the 3rd is sustained pressure, which often comes with bodies working the boards, that's where I see Caron being a better fit.....may not be the popular fit here but I won't be one bit shocked if he's given the chance to nudge Bourque out when he gets healthy

Old
01-30-2013, 11:55 AM
NUhockey
Roy So Hard

I'd like to see Spooner up here, but they might want to give him another year before a call up.

Julien has clamped down on Bourque's ice time from 12 min in regulation to under 10, so it looks like it's at the stage where if he doesn't respond in the next 5 games he could be heading down to Providence.

I think Chris being Ray's son has a small influence on what's going on, just remember that Jeremy Jacobs is the owner here and will ride the publicity until it fades, which should be soon. Bruins fans are nostalgic, but they aren't dumb.

So in my opinion, the scenario for Chris going down to Providence would involve him putting up 2 points or less in the next 5 games, the Bruins being confident in Spooner's readiness for the NHL, and the team earning 6 points or less over the stretch (this last point is tricky).

Otherwise, the younger Bourque stays a while. It's going to be difficult to justify the exchange of players in the lineup during a lockout shortened season, but the Bruins have used these lines for a long time, so they might not be so shy about changing a player out.

NUhockey is offline   Reply With Quote