HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Paul Kelly says QC & Toronto to get expansion teams; Daly disputes assertion

Old
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
MoreOrr
B4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Get ready. It MAY very well be the case at the moment.

As strange as it could be, the Jets success is now Qc's best argument.
Excuse me, but the Jets ranked 16th in Revenue, in their first Season back, in which there was huge excitement to have the team again and that big push to prove that Winnipeg could be a financial success. Now, that success certain did happen, but come on... Ranked 16th in the League. It can only go down from there, sooner or later.

Winnipeg is a success, but it's just an example to show that small market teams can do okay, can survive in this League.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
This is whats going to happen

Phoenix relocates to Hamilton \ Quebec City

4 expansion teams

Hamilton \ Quebec City
Seattle
Houston
Kansas City
If it's Hamilton (not Tor2) then maybe that scenario. But either way, southern Ontario has got to be a huge money grab for the League, and as such it's hard to imagine that the League wouldn't prefer an expansion team going there rather than a relocated team. Quebec City or Seatte seem like they could go either way, expansion or relocation.

Kansas City would definitely be better as a relocation destination, not an expansion one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Move Phx 1.0 to QC.

Expansion is not needed. Just move 1 or 2 teams.

See how the new CBA is working after 3 or 4 years. Adding teams quickly is not a good idea.
How do you realign the East if that happens? Therein lies the reason for 4-Divisions, I'd say.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Excuse me, but the Jets ranked 16th in Revenue, in their first Season back, in which there was huge excitement to have the team again and that big push to prove that Winnipeg could be a financial success. Now, that success certain did happen, but come on... Ranked 16th in the League. It can only go down from there, sooner or later.

Winnipeg is a success, but it's just an example to show that small market teams can do okay, can survive in this League.
Well that's it, a team that won't need the help of the Leafs and others.

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:49 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Daly disputes Kelly's claim of expansion

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414808

Tuesday night former NHLPA chief Paul Kelly stated the NHL had expansion plans (when appearing @ meeting surrounding Markham arena). Wednesday, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly disputes that claim.

Quote:
"There's never been a plan to expand to 32 teams," Daly told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com. "Whether we talked conceptually at some point if things are going well whether we could expand to 32, I'm sure we suggested we could, but we certainly never reached the point where that was appropriate when Paul Kelly was executive director of the NHLPA and I'd say we haven't got there at this point.

"I'd say any sports league aspires to be in a position where expansion is a good idea," added Daly. "But again, it's got to be the right circumstances."

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:56 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkhamNHL View Post
half the city hates the Leafs and supports other NHL teams...

6.4 million people in a hockey first area = no brainer for 2 teams.
You say half the city like it's a fact, but in terms of hockey fans there is a good majority that are Leafs fans. Taking a small sample size, of my hockey team and group of close friends who play hockey (35-40 people) there is a single non-Leafs fan of the bunch (Blackhawks fan) and considers the Maple Leafs his second favourite team. I know that's obviously not representative of the entire population, but there are a TON of Leafs fans in the Toronto area. Way more than half of hockey fans in the GTA are fans of the Maple Leafs.

That being said a second team could definitely survive here. It wouldn't be anywhere as big as the Maple Leafs, but they could do well with the haters.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414808

Tuesday night former NHLPA chief Paul Kelly stated the NHL had expansion plans (when appearing @ meeting surrounding Markham arena). Wednesday, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly disputes that claim.
Yes, now that sounds more like it. Expansion is going to happen, no doubt, but I absolutely seriously doubt that anyone has been promised anything, other than QC; and even with QC, the promise is almost certainly... 'When expansion happens, you'll be high on the priority list.'

There's still a lot to be "hammered out", almost literally, for MLSE to accept another team in the Toronto area. The League is probably working on it, but I doubt if it's done yet. And there's still Phoenix, even if Jamison buys, it's likely with some kind of an eventual out if necessary, though a 'good-faith' effort would need to have been shown. So some location will still be keep on the backburner, waiting to see if it's needed for relocation... likely around the time when the League might at that time consider expansion as well. I'm thinking around 2015-16, just in time or prior to the League's 100th anniversary.

Old
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Of course he does, who didn't see that coming

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
If it's Hamilton (not Tor2) then maybe that scenario. But either way, southern Ontario has got to be a huge money grab for the League, and as such it's hard to imagine that the League wouldn't prefer an expansion team going there rather than a relocated team. Quebec City or Seatte seem like they could go either way, expansion or relocation.

Kansas City would definitely be better as a relocation destination, not an expansion one.

How do you realign the East if that happens? Therein lies the reason for 4-Divisions, I'd say.
For starters, just move winnipeg to the west - the rest can be sorted out by numerous HF threads on this subject

Although keep the 2 conferences - the recent NHL-proposed 4 conferences just sounded and looked goofy.

In the US, I would think KC or Houston are better options than Seattle or Portland. What about SLC?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
For starters, just move winnipeg to the west - the rest can be sorted out by numerous HF threads on this subject

Although keep the 2 conferences - the recent NHL-proposed 4 conferences just sounded and looked goofy.

In the US, I would think KC or Houston are better options than Seattle or Portland. What about SLC?
Wow, Butch 19, I thought you and I usually disagree on most things. Perhaps memory is bad.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Undertakerqc

No expansion, humm, is it a ''hill that Daly will die on''?

Last edited by Undertakerqc: 01-30-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Dado

vCash:
That doesn't count - Daly disagrees with everything.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Expansion would be a dumb dumb idea

Maybe the NHL should worry about it's 10-15 not turning a profit before it creates two more teams.
Not necessarily if the league can extort enormous expansion fees from two deep pockets (Quebecor in QC) and create two teams which will be money makers that contribute to the revenue sharing pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
Ideally, PHX and CBJ would move to Seattle and Quebec City respectively, but in reality, PHX will move to one of those cities and we will get expansion teams in the remaining one and Toronto2.
I don't think Columbus is going anywhere nor should they. Same applies to Florida, Carolina, and the usual 'sunbelt' teams mentioned on this board. Not so sure about Phoenix though, hopefully we'll know soon enough.

Brick City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
A Jelly Donut!?!

Which usually flips to fruition, no?

Major4Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Nullus Reverentia

What else is he going to say? This is hardly unexpected, infact, this might make what Kelly said more true.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
What else is he going to say? This is hardly unexpected, infact, this might make what Kelly said more true.
What would be the purpose of saying that it's not true, other than just to make Daly look like a liar or a tool? Why does the League have to deny what Kelly said?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
CerebralGenesis

So it sounds like that it is in plans somewhere. Just in pencil and not pen is all.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:46 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
So it sounds like that it is in plans somewhere. Just in pencil and not pen is all.
In that sense, I think these kinds of things are almost always being discussed and speculated on.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

I tend to think Houston (2.2m) and Seattle (1.8m) would come before Kansas City, if only because I think you need to take a crack at making those major metropolitan areas work before settling (not a knock on KC (0.9m) people.

Demographically/Economically - You'd have to decide whether Houston and Seattle, major markets with NBA teams to compete against (and Seattle will have one soon I'm sure) profile more similarly with Dallas and Washington (similar sized NBA cities in non-traditional hockey areas where hockey has survived) or more like Phoenix or Atlanta (similar sized NBA cities in non-traditional hockey areas where hockey has failed or is failing).

When the topic of Kansas City comes up, is the comparable Nashville (similar sized city with no NBA team and heavy college sport influence) or is it Hartford?

Interesting stuff, someone more educated than myself in these areas would be able to answer these questions, and of course a lot rides on whether the front office can field a competent team in those cities. It helps when Dallas or Raleigh win the Cup. It doesn't help when Columbus or Atlanta don't even win playoff games.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:50 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Kraken

Quote:

Why would KC be a better option than Seattle?

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
What would be the purpose of saying that it's not true, other than just to make Daly look like a liar or a tool? Why does the League have to deny what Kelly said?
Why does the league deny every rumour? You act like it's just this one, and every other time if something gets leaked they say "Argh, ye caught us". The league denies everything.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Right on!

Bill's denial is a confirmation of expansion. I agree.

Easy to know if Bill is lying: if his lips are moving when he talks, he's lying ;-)

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
Not necessarily if the league can extort enormous expansion fees from two deep pockets (Quebecor in QC) and create two teams which will be money makers that contribute to the revenue sharing pool.
This is the NHL's problem right now.

4 teams make 80% of the leagues revenues.

adding another one or two will (imo) only compound the problem for the ones bleeding.

The new CBA may help the problem, but I am still not convinced it will fix it.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:02 PM
UnknownEric

Quote:
TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com.
Wow. That's like the "Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force" of the hockey world, eh?

UnknownEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:05 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
This is the NHL's problem right now.

4 teams make 80% of the leagues revenues.

adding another one or two will (imo) only compound the problem for the ones bleeding.

The new CBA may help the problem, but I am still not convinced it will fix it.
4 teams make up 80% of the losses too

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:14 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Why would KC be a better option than Seattle?
Just my guess based on working in Seattle and Portland areas around 8 years ago.

Out off all the people I worked with (maybe 50 engineers and contractors), none of them knew anything about hockey. There was zero interest.

And the Sonics just left.

I just don't see NHL hockey being a big thing in the Pacific NW (could be wrong...?)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote