HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question, why isn't Stephen Johns in the "Prospects" header at the top of board?

Old
01-26-2013, 09:41 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

vCash: 500
Question, why isn't Stephen Johns in the "Prospects" header at the top of board?

Is he still hawk property? Everything I hear about the kid seems to indicate he is going to be a very good NHL defenseman.

I posted before that he lives a mile from me, great young man.

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 406
Cause in most recent HF ranking he was our 11th best prospect ,, Scroll only includes top 10 listed

With Hayes/Shaw/Olsen still counting as prospects that pushed him down list

(List was made in September)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:47 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Cause in most recent HF ranking he was our 11th best prospect ,, Scroll only includes top 10 listed

With Hayes/Shaw/Olsen still counting as prospects that pushed him down list

(List was made in September)
Thank you! Wow if he's the 11th best prospect we must be loaded! IMO his presence would be huge on our back end.

How long do teams own college players rights? In other words, when do the hawks have to make a decision on him?

Old
01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIP View Post
Thank you! Wow if he's the 11th best prospect we must be loaded! IMO his presence would be huge on our back end.

How long do teams own college players rights? In other words, when do the hawks have to make a decision on him?
Once his NCAA career is up the Hawks have to sign him or he becomes UFA

Old
01-27-2013, 07:05 AM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Once his NCAA career is up the Hawks have to sign him or he becomes UFA
What is the time frame after his college career ends, a week? Month? Do you know?

Also, could they, and do you think they might, sign him before his college career ends?

Old
01-27-2013, 08:15 AM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

Teams have 30 days to sign a college player after they leave college or they lose their draft rights. They can sign a college drafted player at any time prior to that, but if they sign, they lose their college eligibility. They have to turn pro immediately.

w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
Teams have 30 days to sign a college player after they leave college or they lose their draft rights. They can sign a college drafted player at any time prior to that, but if they sign, they lose their college eligibility. They have to turn pro immediately.
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much!

Also like the SAAD avy (another local boy, western PA kid).

Old
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

weren't there rumors that Johns may pull a Schultz?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
weren't there rumors that Johns may pull a Schultz?
LOL, it was only pure message board speculation because someone saw him wearing a Blues hat... HF freakout commenced

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 01:52 PM
RomersWorld*

Well whoever discussed it clearly doesn't know the rules. He can't pull a Schultz.

Schultz found a "loophole" if you want to call it that because since he didn't play in college the first year after being drafted, after 4 years he was able to become a free agent as only a junior.

You have 4 years since being drafted as long as you are in college and so Johns can only become a free agent after his senior year and certain period of time has passed where the Blackhawks can't sign him. Then he can become a free agent but that doesn't happen very often. You really only need to worry about it if Johns stays for his senior year but I suspect that the Hawks will do everything in their power to sign him this offseason. No situation exactly like Schultz's is possible though anyways.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I am a tad worried that we'll lose Johns, but I think he'll sign after this season. He seemed excited about being drafted by the Blackhawks in 2010 and Chicago could really use a player like him on the backend. He's not the kind of player that, IMO, will step right into the NHL after he signs - especially if he signs this summer - but half a year to a year in the AHL and then I think he'll be ready. He's going to be a really good #5 for Chicago.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I hope you are right

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Hawkscap

Johns hasn't been at Prospect Camp for 2 years now (due to working at the ND hockey camp) but I have seen reports he has trained with the team in private workouts.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:56 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Bowman better not lose Johns too.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
moose vasko

I don't know why he wouldn't sign...American kid going to a big market American team with a clear need for the type of game he brings. I liked him in last year's WJC--he made lots of mistakes and got burned badly a couple of times, but he came back and competed hard. I am optimistic that he will be worth the wait.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:12 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Too?

Old
01-29-2013, 09:43 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Too?
Remember the awesome prospect Bill Sweatt. (Technically he was traded)

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:20 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Well whoever discussed it clearly doesn't know the rules. He can't pull a Schultz.

Schultz found a "loophole" if you want to call it that because since he didn't play in college the first year after being drafted, after 4 years he was able to become a free agent as only a junior.

You have 4 years since being drafted as long as you are in college and so Johns can only become a free agent after his senior year and certain period of time has passed where the Blackhawks can't sign him. Then he can become a free agent but that doesn't happen very often. You really only need to worry about it if Johns stays for his senior year but I suspect that the Hawks will do everything in their power to sign him this offseason. No situation exactly like Schultz's is possible though anyways.
do we know if this is the story under the new CBA? I remember reading that they're were going to do something to close the gap on people being able to become a free agent by just not signing - but don't know what happened.

does anyone have any real info on why he hasn't signed yet - i.e. is it a situation where he's not inclined to leave Notre Dame if it's to ride the bus in the AHL?...is it a situation where the Hawks themselves has decided he's better off in NCAA?...is it a situation (i'd think unlikely) that they're not sure if they want to sign him.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
why ya gotta hate...why ya gotta hate??

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
Ohhhh, that guy.. lol.

For some reason, I think he was referring to Ludvig Rensfeldt.. though, Chicago didn't "lose" him, they simply didn't give him a contract. If Rensfeldt were in a weaker system, I think he would have been signed.. but with Chicago having so many forward prospects - and quality ones at that - under contract and with Rensfeldt having (kind of) a disappointing season in Sarnia.. it just wasn't worth it for them to use a contract on him.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:48 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Very raw, hasnt found a role with ND is the last I heard about him. Am I totally off base?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:12 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Very raw, hasnt found a role with ND is the last I heard about him. Am I totally off base?
I get almost no updates on Johns.. but he was voted the team's best defensemen (William Donald Nyrop Award) last year: http://www.und.com/sports/m-hockey/m...ns_713555.html

So, I doubt he's struggling to find a role on the team. I think you're thinking of Justin Holl, who's spent some time at forward for Minnesota.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Just to add to that, Johns is 3rd on the team in defensive scoring and has more points through 26 games this year (12) than he had through 39 games last year (10). He's also a +4 (FWIW) and leads ND in penalties and penalty minutes (17/34) - that may sound like a negative, but based off of Johns aggressive and physical style and the way penalties are called in College, that's probably not a bad thing.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Johns is a beast with ND. He is one of their leaders and has been since last season. He is a respected member of his team and his character is above exemplary. One of the good guys you could want for your team. He is a warrior who is willing to do whatever asked of him...reminds me of a bigger Ken Daneyko with a bit more offensive ability.

Johns should make this team next year out of camp as he is just mature enough right now to do so. He isnt weak on skating like some bigger dmen, he makes smart passes out of his zone, his coverage is solid, and oh yeah...the dude hits the **** out of people!

With Rosival and Brookbank filling 6th-7th dmen spots currently, and who knows whenever Monty comes back, there should be a spot for Johns to make this club right away next year...hell he might crack the big club after his season is done at ND if the Hawks have any injuries on the blueline. He brings everything that we are missing to our blueline and have been missing for sometime. Tough ass kid.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
You mean the guy who refused to sign with Hawks ,, Then refused to sign with Leafs before becomign FA and signing with Nucks

As for Ludvig ,, Hawks didn't see much in him after wasting a 2nd round pick and cut there losses

To bad they didn't do same with Beach

And clearly no one else was all that impressed with Ludvig as he was not drafted again this past year despite being back in draft