HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian Appreciation Thread: Cody Who?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Man, I have no idea why people don't like the Sedins. Quality individuals and hockey players
Blind hate?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Man, I have no idea why people don't like the Sedins. Quality individuals and hockey players
Because they're star players on the Vancouver Canucks. If they were on the Detroit Red Wings they'd be loved by all.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Blind hate?
Combined with sheer ignorance.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:02 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Clarification on something he never said? Yeah, let's do that.
You didn't watch the intermission the other night, I usually don't but Gillis did say the Sedin's said they wanted to try Kassian on their line.

It isn't made up.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Combined with sheer ignorance.
Add a pinch of stupidity and sprinkle with absurdity.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:14 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
It's the initial post on the topic in this thread that makes that connection. First, that they explicitly asked to play with Kassian and second, the inference on what that might mean for his long-term future on that line. It's the connection that's being called into question, as it should be. But before it even gets to that, one should confirm if they did indeed "ask for" it to happen... which the video does not confirm.

So it's one leap to say that it was asked for, and another to imply what that could mean to line-up decisions.

In the grand scheme, it doesn't matter... it only matters when those two "leaps" are being made with insufficient information.
So because a poster in this thread incorrectly believed that Gillis said the Sedins asked to play with Kassian, we should ignore the fact that he said they were interested in playing with Kassian?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:00 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Add a pinch of stupidity and sprinkle with absurdity.
And a dash of parents being related before marriage?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I heard Gillis mention again last night that playing with Kassian is something the Sedins are interested in. Something to think about when looking to move him off that line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Direct quote is "We talked in the summer about him trying to play with Daniel and Henrik and they had some interest in that".
Quote:
In the grand scheme, it doesn't matter... it only matters when those two "leaps" are being made with insufficient information.
Is that better?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Hielo Grande

I read the story; I didn't see the interview where the Sedins asked to play with him.

The story says the Sedins saw something in Kassian and they didn't want him to go the way a lot of other young players go in that they reach a level and stop trying to get better. They used the Swedish elite league as an example. They asked Gillis if they could train with Kass over the summer.

In the interview I saw Gillis said the move frees Burrows, "our most versatile player", to play elsewhere.

Below are quotes taken from Sun story to substantiate the above.

The Sedins asked him to train with them in June.

“That came out of our wrap-up dinner last year,” Gillis explained. “I was talking to Henrik and he was telling me about what he thought of Zack's potential. Then Danny joined us. . . and they asked if it would be OK for them to invite Zack to train with them. ... They both see tremendous potential in Zack…”
“Both me and Danny just had a good feeling about him,” Henrik said ...

“I know in Sweden there are a lot of young players who work hard to get in the Elite League when they're 18 or 19, then they stop trying to get better and are happy where they are,” Henrik said. “I think that's a problem for a lot of young guys. The thing I'm most impressed with Zack is the way he wants to learn, wants to get better. He asks a lot of questions.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Z...#ixzz2JTr8t2Er

Old
01-30-2013, 11:41 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

This is a great appreciation thread, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
So because a poster in this thread incorrectly believed that Gillis said the Sedins asked to play with Kassian, we should ignore the fact that he said they were interested in playing with Kassian?

Interest =/= Asked for, or some other form of preference or exclusivity.

We shouldn't ignore it, no. But it's pretty akin to saying they would want to play with others. They aren't ever going to say "no". It's an innocuous statement.

I'm merely commenting on the "extra" connections being made in this thread, not refuting the fact that Sedins have confirmed/expressed interest in playing with Kassian.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:46 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hielo Grande View Post
I read the story; I didn't see the interview where the Sedins asked to play with him.

The story says the Sedins saw something in Kassian and they didn't want him to go the way a lot of other young players go in that they reach a level and stop trying to get better. They used the Swedish elite league as an example. They asked Gillis if they could train with Kass over the summer.

In the interview I saw Gillis said the move frees Burrows, "our most versatile player", to play elsewhere.

Below are quotes taken from Sun story to substantiate the above.

The Sedins asked him to train with them in June.

“That came out of our wrap-up dinner last year,” Gillis explained. “I was talking to Henrik and he was telling me about what he thought of Zack's potential. Then Danny joined us. . . and they asked if it would be OK for them to invite Zack to train with them. ... They both see tremendous potential in Zack…”
“Both me and Danny just had a good feeling about him,” Henrik said ...

“I know in Sweden there are a lot of young players who work hard to get in the Elite League when they're 18 or 19, then they stop trying to get better and are happy where they are,” Henrik said. “I think that's a problem for a lot of young guys. The thing I'm most impressed with Zack is the way he wants to learn, wants to get better. He asks a lot of questions.”

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Z...#ixzz2JTr8t2Er
Thank you for this.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
You didn't watch the intermission the other night, I usually don't but Gillis did say the Sedin's said they wanted to try Kassian on their line.

It isn't made up.

I watched it. Take another look.

Quote:
Is that better?

Much.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Scurr

Quote:
I'm merely commenting on the "extra" connections being made in this thread, not refuting the fact that Sedins have confirmed/expressed interest in playing with Kassian.
I worded it poorly, my bad. It wasn't my intention to suggest that they wanted to play exclusively with Kass or even that we should be catering to the twins. I was merely pointing out that they have taken an interest in the young man and that might be something that should be considered when making the lines.

It was lazy on my part, I should have found the quote. I think the people that saw the interview knew what I meant... I'll try and be better next time, focus on the process.

Last edited by Scurr: 01-30-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
I watched it. Take another look.

Much.
Yeah, I noticed after I replied.

When will I learn to read the whole page before replying to a single post?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
I worded it poorly, my bad. It wasn't my intention to suggest that they wanted to pay exclusively with Kass or even that we should be catering to the twins. I was merely pointing out that they have taken an interest in the young man and that might be something that should be considered when making the lines.

It was lazy on my part, I should have found the quote. I think the people that saw the interview knew what I meant... I'll try and be better next time, focus on the process.
We were all guilty of that, no worries. Curse you forum nazis.

Anywho, I think it's really awesome and speaks to not only what kind of people the Sedin's are, but also what we potentialy have in Kassian, when they invited Kass to train with them.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:58 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I worded it poorly, my bad. It wasn't my intention to suggest that they wanted to pay exclusively with Kass or even that we should be catering to the twins. I was merely pointing out that they have taken an interest in the young man and that might be something that should be considered when making the lines.

I think your insistence that Kassian makes the perfect fit for the twins might have coloured your judgement a bit when posting that statement, and making the connection you did. But whatever.

It's worth noting too that player interest seldom translates to line-up changes made by the coach. For example, Kesler has been wanting Higgins on his line for quite some time, but the coach doesn't see it as a fit.

Kassian has shown well. There are still two great options to put there. I'm still in the camp that AV uses _both_ of these options wherever applicable, -but with obvious preference to what has worked in the past (Burrows). Let's see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Yeah, I noticed after I replied.

When will I learn to read the whole page before replying to a single post?

Because you like my posts the best?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I think your insistence that Kassian makes the perfect fit for the twins might have coloured your judgement a bit when posting that statement, and making the connection you did. But whatever.
And I would say that your insistence that it isn't the right fit made you make a bigger deal out of it than it was. But whatever.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
And I would say that your insistence that it isn't the right fit made you make a bigger deal out of it than it was. But whatever.

Said Burrows is a better fit, not that Kassian doesn't fit at all. But do go on.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Quote:
Said Burrows is a better fit, not that Kassian doesn't fit at all. But do go on.
You're putting words in my mouth. If you think Burrows is the right fit... that means Kassian isn't, no? Or should I have said that you think they are both the right fit but Burrows is the better fit? I might need to take another english class if you keep this up

I hope this doesn't have anything to do with Frattin's game last night

Old
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
You're putting words in my mouth. If you think Burrows is the right fit... that means Kassian isn't, no? Or should I have said that you think they are both the right fit but Burrows is the better fit? I might need to take another english class if you keep this up

I hope this doesn't have anything to do with Frattin's game last night

I think you just might.

Burrows being a better fit does not mutually exclude Kassian from playing there in certain situations. IMO, Burrows should play there _most_ of the time. But when you have the chance to exploit a matchup with Kassian's size, he can sub in. No mutual exclusivity like you are stating - because that would actually be trying to put words in my mouth.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I think you just might.

Burrows being a better fit does not mutually exclude Kassian from playing there in certain situations. IMO, Burrows should play there _most_ of the time. But when you have the chance to exploit a matchup with Kassian's size, he can sub in. No mutual exclusivity like you are stating - because that would actually be trying to put words in my mouth.
Where did I do that? Can there be more than one "right fit"? Does anyone else think Bleach is just yanking my chain here?

What English class would you suggest? I'm thinking something related to cutting through ********?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Where did I do that? Can there be more than one "right fit"? Does anyone else think Bleach is just yanking my chain here?

What English class would you suggest? I'm thinking something related to cutting through ********?

You should try a few, why limit it to one class?

Yes, there can be more than one right fit depending on the situation. If you've got Bolland counter-attacking the Sedins to oblivion, then the prudent course would be to put a better 200ft player with them, like Burrows. If you want to play with pace, Burrows. If you think the cycle takes precedence overall, say against a team with smaller D's, Kassian makes more sense. See? And you didn't have to take a class for that one at all?

Edit: The mutual exclusivity you are attributing to this situation, or to my position:

Quote:
If you think Burrows is the right fit... that means Kassian isn't, no?

If Kassian is the right fit, does it make Burrows the _wrong_ fit? Vice versa, if Burrows is a better fit, does it make Kassian not a fit at all? The Sedins do some things better with Burrows, and other things better with Kassian. I just think they do _more_ things better with Burrows at the present time.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
AndyPipkin

See even as I finished typing my post I deleted it all and thought it better not to get involved and just sit back and watch.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Scurr

Quote:
And I would say that your insistence that Burrows is the better fit made you make a bigger deal out of it than it was.

I think you know what I meant...

Closed Thread