Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Te'o GF death a hoax

Old
01-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

vCash: 500
If anything Ronaiah is gay and Manti is an idiot.

That looks about right now. For the people asking "why does it sound like a girl" it's likely voice manipulation software. I doubt he wouldn't be able to **** up after awhile.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Should just go all Piazza and hold a presser

"I'm not gay."
I'm beginning to think that he actually is ... you don't make up a story, continue the hoax and deny it until the very end & then admit it at the very end ... he's nuttier than a fruit cake ... or he's truly the most gullible person in the world

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 04:18 PM
babcockscowl

at this point, I think he's just very stupid

babcockscowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
The whole thing has gotten so stupid now. I'm done with it.

All I know is that Ronaiah deserves a serious beatdown.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Look, I don't want to draw black-and-white conclusions about Manti Te'o. But let's face it, the events that have taken place in the last 3 years and Te'o's subsequent explanation for them allow for only two possibilities. He is either the most incredibly naive and downright stupid person in America, or he is gay. Not surprisingly, Te'o is willing to portray himself as a complete fool that was just not intelligent enough to realize that for 3 years, the "girlfriend" he talked to on the phone for 6 hours a night was actually a man. It is incredibly difficult to believe that was an Academic All-American at Notre Dame, a school that (like Stanford) makes all potential athletes apply and be accepted through the Admissions office, just like every other potential student, could possibly be as downright unintelligent as Te'o effectively claims he was. Notre Dame's admission standards are so high and so uncompromising that it has hurt the performance of their football team in recent years. Te'o is not stupid. But, hey, there are plenty of NFL players that legitimately are. The alternative is not even fathomable in NFL culture. We may be in 2012, but the NFL is still in 1952 when it comes to the word "gay." It's a shame, but that is the culture. No potential NFL player is ever going to admit to being gay. They can't, not for the sake of their future career.

I still do believe that the whole "girlfriend" angle was originally created for the sake of publicity and attention. You would have to be extremely naive to believe that Te'o didn't garner significant Heisman consideration (and some votes) due to his performance while dealing with what was a remarkable tragedy. To lose your grandmother and your girlfriend within 6 hours of each other? The only thing more sad is that the journalistic integrity of sportswriters has fallen so far that they didn't even bother to look up this "girlfriend." Not one thought to ask Stanford about her or check the death records. Until Deadspin did it, of course. It almost worked out for Te'o; he almost won the Heisman. But man, the consequences were probably far greater than he intended.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Look, I don't want to draw black-and-white conclusions about Manti Te'o. But let's face it, the events that have taken place in the last 3 years and Te'o's subsequent explanation for them allow for only two possibilities. He is either the most incredibly naive and downright stupid person in America, or he is gay. Not surprisingly, Te'o is willing to portray himself as a complete fool that was just not intelligent enough to realize that for 3 years, the "girlfriend" he talked to on the phone for 6 hours a night was actually a man. It is incredibly difficult to believe that was an Academic All-American at Notre Dame, a school that (like Stanford) makes all potential athletes apply and be accepted through the Admissions office, just like every other potential student, could possibly be as downright unintelligent as Te'o effectively claims he was. Notre Dame's admission standards are so high and so uncompromising that it has hurt the performance of their football team in recent years. Te'o is not stupid. But, hey, there are plenty of NFL players that legitimately are. The alternative is not even fathomable in NFL culture. We may be in 2012, but the NFL is still in 1952 when it comes to the word "gay." It's a shame, but that is the culture. No potential NFL player is ever going to admit to being gay. They can't, not for the sake of their future career.

I still do believe that the whole "girlfriend" angle was originally created for the sake of publicity and attention. You would have to be extremely naive to believe that Te'o didn't garner significant Heisman consideration (and some votes) due to his performance while dealing with what was a remarkable tragedy. To lose your grandmother and your girlfriend within 6 hours of each other? The only thing more sad is that the journalistic integrity of sportswriters has fallen so far that they didn't even bother to look up this "girlfriend." Not one thought to ask Stanford about her or check the death records. Until Deadspin did it, of course. It almost worked out for Te'o; he almost won the Heisman. But man, the consequences were probably far greater than he intended.
Why bother telling the truth when ND fans will buy every new half-baked version Te'o is coming out with? It's easier for him to get away with stupid than with gay.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 08:10 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Why bother telling the truth when ND fans will buy every new half-baked version Te'o is coming out with? It's easier for him to get away with stupid than with gay.
Sad, but true.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:14 AM
NYGRYK21
HFWF IC Champ

Just gonna leave this here.

NYGRYK21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
I don't get why you guys care about this at all.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 10:50 AM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
I don't get why you guys care about this at all.
Because for the past year every time you watch sportscenter or a college ball game involving ND you are constantly having to listen to how perfect Te'o is.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDH View Post
Because for the past year every time you watch sportscenter or a college ball game involving ND you are constantly having to listen to how perfect Te'o is.
Also the fact that people wanted to give him Heisman because he persevered through adversity, when in reality he isnt even close to the best defensive player in the country. Eddie Lacy just reestablished that notion.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Tribu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGRYK21 View Post

Thats awesome...Its been a while since these guys made a good one

Tribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 03:49 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

hes going to fall to the end of the 1st round and fans of said team will start a it was all a ruse so he could go to a good team thread.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 04:12 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
hes going to fall to the end of the 1st round and fans of said team will start a it was all a ruse so he could go to a good team thread.
You think he will go in the first, I think he will be lucky to be picked in the third. This guy has too many issues and he is not handling this whole situation very well.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGRYK21 View Post

Epic.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
ZDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Also the fact that people wanted to give him Heisman because he persevered through adversity, when in reality he isnt even close to the best defensive player in the country. Eddie Lacy just reestablished that notion.
Yup.

OT - Nobody has **** on Jadeveon Clowney, he's my pick for best defensive player in college.

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
You think he will go in the first, I think he will be lucky to be picked in the third. This guy has too many issues and he is not handling this whole situation very well.
It just takes one team to like a guy, the Broncos have already hinted that they would take him should he fall to 28. Ive heard some NFL sources say that they have drafted players with large criminal records, so this isnt even that bad. Ive heard others say, lie to my face and you wont be on our team. That being said, there are a few months before the draft and I am unsure how long stories like this can stay a secret.

Where there is smoke and I smell the winds of ****, regardless of what is actually going on here. Not to mention, teams spend immense resources on compiling information on these players. Any team who is interested in drafting Teo will certainly do everything in their power to find out what the real story is. I dont see him slipping out of the first round

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Objectively has he done anything worse than Lawrence Phillips?

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
I dont think he gets past New England.
Looking forward to the idiots on WEEI do a 180 on him if it happens.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:56 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
It just takes one team to like a guy, the Broncos have already hinted that they would take him should he fall to 28. Ive heard some NFL sources say that they have drafted players with large criminal records, so this isnt even that bad. Ive heard others say, lie to my face and you wont be on our team. That being said, there are a few months before the draft and I am unsure how long stories like this can stay a secret.

Where there is smoke and I smell the winds of ****, regardless of what is actually going on here. Not to mention, teams spend immense resources on compiling information on these players. Any team who is interested in drafting Teo will certainly do everything in their power to find out what the real story is. I dont see him slipping out of the first round
Management really needs to consider how he will be received in the dressing room. Players are used to playing with guys who have criminal records, but they have the ability to keep to themselves and hide in the background. Te'o is a public face and a complete laughing stock. It'll be an issue raised from Day 1 and the media will pester fellow teammates about it. These dressing rooms are probably already laughing about the whole thing, imagine when he walks in.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:01 AM
timekeep

I'm not sure if he is a criminal, but he has mental issues, which I wouldn't want around my locker room. But Tebow was a first rounder so you never know.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone know how this guy got on in Cleveland

Rex Ryan and the foot video didn't derail his career.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
luongoisdaman

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Dr. Phil McGraw says Manti Te'o was not involved in setting up the dead girlfriend hoax that became a sensation when it was exposed this month, and that the man who masterminded the scheme did so because he was "deeply, romantically" in love with the Notre Dame linebacker.
http://www.tsn.ca/ncaa/story/?id=414818

Okay there...

luongoisdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
Evidence seems to be piling up...

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote