HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Old
01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Wizeman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I said Schroeder would be better than Hodgson, when we had both players, and I still believe he will be better. Can't believe he was available where we picked him I remember at the World Juniors the year of his draft year many penciled him into the top 5, great pick by Gillis. Schroeder needs to change his number though, 45 really doesn't look good on him.
Great minds think alike.

Sometimes the more 'skilled' player does NOT end up being the better pro.

In Hodgsons case, he was drafted higher in the first round, but his lack of upper body strength and speed make him nowhere near the kind of pro Schroeder can be.

The guys played 3 NHL games and hes already a better player defensively than Hodgson.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Great minds think alike.

Sometimes the more 'skilled' player does NOT end up being the better pro.

In Hodgsons case, he was drafted higher in the first round, but his lack of upper body strength and speed make him nowhere near the kind of pro Schroeder can be.

The guys played 3 NHL games and hes already a better player defensively than Hodgson.
Yep. I remember watching Schroede light the world juniors up with JVR and Wilson, and said to myself I would envy the team who took this kid. Lo and behold it was us. I remember when Luongo was making the pick for us I was yelling "Schroeder, Schroeder, Schroeder" And my wish came true

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:12 PM
orcatown

I think there are two keys to Schroeder having success in the NHL. First he needs to keep his feet moving. Even in the game last night there were times when Schroeder got caught standing still and this has been a glitch in his play for while. He can end up watching and waiting to see how things develop rather than providing continual puck support. I think this results from the kind of poaching play he used successfully in minor and college hockey. Tries to stay clear of traffic and then pounce on the puck if it comes clear. That approach really limits his ability to play in traffic.

I think Schroeder has become much better at moving his feet and staying inside the play than he was when he started pro hockey. He certainly is better in traffic. However, old habits are hard to break and he still has a tendency to stall out at times.

The other thing Schroeder needs to do his convert chances. I don't think the point totals that Schroeder got over the past while in Chicago where close to the potential he could have had, if had he better finished off chances to produce offense. There were many 2 on 1 situations where didn't get the pass thru. There many scoring chances missed because of a hurried or inaccurate shot. Fact he was constantly getting chances was a good signs but he needs to increase his conversion rate. I think this will come. He has a really hard shot and has improved his ability to pick out teammates with a good pass. However, he still was not the player who looks deadly with the puck around the net and that, I think, is an attribute, given his size, that Schroeder needs have.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
nucksfan8888

Schroeder looks better defensively than Hodgson, and a better fit to play on Kesler's wing with his pass first playmaking style than any of our current wingers except maybe Kassian.

The reason I mention this is, with Kesler's return looming in the future, where does Schroeder play? IMO you can't send him back down, he is not a part of the problem as much as he is a part of the solution for the offense. And him and Raymond have shown the most chemistry playing beside each other, not so much off the cycle, so would that be obselete if they played opposite wings from each other?

Now Kesler never played wing to Hodgson, but Hodgson was never Schroeder defensively(as shown by him getting OT icetime already and not being nearly as sheltered even a few games into his NHL career) So could this be a possibility? Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler? Keep the Raymond-Schroeder connection going, and give Kesler a center with better passing than he's ever had at even strength to play wing with?

nucksfan8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
First he needs to keep his feet moving.
Good point.

I remember this being something Crawford used to get after Morrison about. Fast guys can catch up to the play so they can get by at lower levels with standing around a little more. In the NHL, they have to win battles with their feet because they are physically overmatched, making it that much more important they keep their feet moving.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:28 PM
CanadianPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post

The other thing Schroeder needs to do his convert chances. I don't think the point totals that Schroeder got over the past while in Chicago where close to the potential he could have had, if had he better finished off chances to produce offense. There were many 2 on 1 situations where didn't get the pass thru. There many scoring chances missed because of a hurried or inaccurate shot. Fact he was constantly getting chances was a good signs but he needs to increase his conversion rate. I think this will come. He has a really hard shot and has improved his ability to pick out teammates with a good pass. However, he still was not the player who looks deadly with the puck around the net and that, I think, is an attribute, given his size, that Schroeder needs have.
I wonder if one of the problems with converting his chances was playing with ahl players who aren't very skilled. You mentioned not being able to convert two on ones but he seems to be able to convert on two on ones with raymond. He managed to convert when he got his first point against the ducks and during the scrimmage.

CanadianPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
June 2007

I just wish he switched #s to a more traditional hockey one. 45 is a long snapper number..

June 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 2007 View Post
I just wish he switched #s to a more traditional hockey one. 45 is a long snapper number..
This.

K2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
RunYouOutOfTheRink

I like his against-the-grain touch-passes. And that saucer pass a few games back... through 2 players onto Raymond's tape... what a beauty.

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:19 PM
timw33

Quote:
When he sticks with the team he will likely get the option to change his number.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
He'll probably wait until the Barker experiment is over and he can take 18.

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 08:42 PM
pahlsson

really like his compete level and strength, imo looks way better than he did in the ahl

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
really like his compete level and strength, imo looks way better than he did in the ahl
I think he doesn't necessarily look better, his play just didn't drop off at all going from the AHL to the NHL as most players experience

Linden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksfan8888 View Post
Schroeder looks better defensively than Hodgson, and a better fit to play on Kesler's wing with his pass first playmaking style than any of our current wingers except maybe Kassian.

The reason I mention this is, with Kesler's return looming in the future, where does Schroeder play? IMO you can't send him back down, he is not a part of the problem as much as he is a part of the solution for the offense. And him and Raymond have shown the most chemistry playing beside each other, not so much off the cycle, so would that be obselete if they played opposite wings from each other?

Now Kesler never played wing to Hodgson, but Hodgson was never Schroeder defensively(as shown by him getting OT icetime already and not being nearly as sheltered even a few games into his NHL career) So could this be a possibility? Raymond-Schroeder-Kesler? Keep the Raymond-Schroeder connection going, and give Kesler a center with better passing than he's ever had at even strength to play wing with?
I think you have to try that when he comes back, and it could very well work.

But it would also mean a Higgins - Burrows - Hansen third line, most likely, and possibly Booth on the 4th line.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think you have to try that when he comes back, and it could very well work.

But it would also mean a Higgins - Burrows - Hansen third line, most likely, and possibly Booth on the 4th line.
Kesler is a Selke winner (playing center) and the Canucks' best player. Plus, he's a prima-dona. Moving Kesler to wing, would have the same result as Luongo becoming the back-up - "trade me".

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
He'll probably wait until the Barker experiment is over and he can take 18.
I want to see a true 'young gun' #.

91 would look good on the kid.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Scurr

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

I think I might have found out why he wasn't out there with 5 minutes left...

Old
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

I think I might have found out why he wasn't out there with 5 minutes left...
Because: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67# and http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Anyway, it's way too early in the season to figure anything out from Corsi or QoC since the sample size is so small and right now what you do pretty much accounts for 10-20% of your opponent's numbers. Look at who's behind him: Hamhuis and Bieksa, they were certainly out with 5 minutes left.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Because: http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67# and http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Anyway, it's way too early in the season to figure anything out from Corsi or QoC since the sample size is so small and right now what you do pretty much accounts for 10-20% of your opponent's numbers. Look at who's behind him: Hamhuis and Bieksa, they were certainly out with 5 minutes left.
Just relaying the info to maybe help explain why it happened.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
TBIF

For some of the older guys around here, possible to compare him to Ronning?

I'm going off size alone pretty much, really don't remember much about his game.

TBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Just relaying the info to maybe help explain why it happened.
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that if Vigneault is going to not give him sheltered minutes while playing with Raymond and Weise then he can't really expect positive Corsi. I think that line also gets abused in Corsi due to the fact that they don't really generate much in terms of shots. They really do need a shooter on that line, someone like Booth who can't really carry the puck or pass all that well but would get into position to generate shots while Mason and JS pass to him.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
pitseleh

They were also significantly plus in Corsi after either 3 or 4 games (going off my memory), so things clearly fell off the rails the last couple.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBIF View Post
For some of the older guys around here, possible to compare him to Ronning?

I'm going off size alone pretty much, really don't remember much about his game.

Ronning was more offensively crafty/savvy. Schroeder is stronger. Both are pretty fast.

I think he's more like Morrison than he is like Ronning, if that helps?

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:28 PM
TBIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ronning was more offensively crafty/savvy. Schroeder is stronger. Both are pretty fast.

I think he's more like Morrison than he is like Ronning, if that helps?

It does, thanks

TBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that if Vigneault is going to not give him sheltered minutes while playing with Raymond and Weise then he can't really expect positive Corsi. I think that line also gets abused in Corsi due to the fact that they don't really generate much in terms of shots. They really do need a shooter on that line, someone like Booth who can't really carry the puck or pass all that well but would get into position to generate shots while Mason and JS pass to him.
Yup, almost perfect fit, at least in theory. You never quite know until you see it, hopefully we do.