HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

[NYM/TOR] Dickey/Thole/Nickeas for D'Arnaud/Syndergaard/Buck/Becerra (done deal)

Old
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Man, it's hilarious how weak and pathetic your (Martini) arguments are but I love watching you make a fool of yourself. Pretty clear that your jealous of and threatened by the Jays. I'm certainly not convinced that the Jays will make playoffs but to say they have no chance and aren't a favourite is just flat-out retarded.
LOL. Keep telling yourself that.

The Jays took one of the biggest gambles in their history rolling the dice on other teams problems. I am not jealous of an also ran that hasnt been revelent for over two decades, sorry with that misunderstanding of opinion.

I mean, one of the excuses that the Jays just have to be good next year is Vegas odds....

I dont see anybody else taking up my bet as of late, either. That says more then any of the truth I have written, just sayin.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
On what basis?

Given what we witnessed over the past two seasons that is a somewhat outlandish position to take. Unless of course you think that both Reyes and Izturis compile sub-.680 OPS's like the two-headed monster did for the Jays last season. The odds of that happening, however, are somewhat... minimal (generously-speaking) to say the least.
I think both players have bounce back/breakout years for the Rays, like many players do. (Kotchman for example) It was mostly coaching imo that these two underperformed.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

The Jays took one of the biggest gambles in their history rolling the dice on other teams problems. I am not jealous of an also ran that hasnt been revelent for over two decades, sorry with that misunderstanding of opinion.

I mean, one of the excuses that the Jays just have to be good next year is Vegas odds....

I dont see anybody else taking up my bet as of late, either. That says more then any of the truth I have written, just sayin.
What was the bet?
This is how I understand it:
Jays finish 5th in division: I never post in here
Jays finish 4th: draw, nothing happens
Jays finish 1st-3rd: You never post here again.

That's what I understand from your post. I would take that bet.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
JaysCyYoung

I guess it was poor coaching from Bobby Cox when Johnson was posting an adjusted OPS of 82 in Atlanta back in 2009 as well. Or that Escobar has now worn out his welcome in two markets despite his obvious physical talents.

Both are on the wrong side of thirty as well. What sort of "breakout" campaign can one reasonably expect at that age?

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
What was the bet?

I would gladly take that bet as well. As would anyone with even a modicum of knowledge on the game and the headaches that ensue from reading Martini's post.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barker View Post
What was the bet?

No.

Anything above fourth, I log out and never return. If the Jays come in fourth or below, those foolish into thinking the Jays are something other then what they actually are do the same.

If you dont have the faith in that team that Vegas has given excellent odds on winning, then by all means, dont even bother taking this bet even when I am giving Jays fans the top three spots in the east. Those odds right there 3/2 are heavily in the Jays favor.

Its your choice, choose wisely.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
No.

Anything above fourth, I log out and never return. If the Jays come in fourth or below, those foolish into thinking the Jays are something other then what they actually are do the same.

If you dont have the faith in that team that Vegas has given excellent odds on winning, then by all means, dont even bother taking this bet even when I am giving Jays fans the top three spots in the east. Those odds right there 3/2 are heavily in the Jays favor.

Its your choice, choose wisely.
Deal.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
I would gladly take that bet as well. As would anyone with even a modicum of knowledge on the game and the headaches that ensue from reading Martini's post.
Of course you would.

Of course you would.....

Old
01-30-2013, 04:33 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Also think the Rays 2B/SS combo in Johnson and Escobar will do better than Izturis/Reyes at a fraction of the cost.

Only if Reyes misses chunk of time.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:19 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Martini can't express his views? I see nothing wrong with what he said. To go from 70 wins to nearly 90+ in a span of a year is a HUGE leap. Personally, I think the Jays finish outside of the playoffs with the Yankees winning the division, Rays going 2nd and Blue Jays 3rd, narrowly missing out the 3rd WC spot to the Rangers.
He's expressed the same view over and over again. A view that's beyond stupid too. Like I said, I'm not convinced the Jays will make playoffs but to say they have no chance and haven't improved their team in the offseason is completely absurd and if you agree with him then I'm not wasting my time with you.
Quote:
Also think the Rays 2B/SS combo in Johnson and Escobar will do better than Izturis/Reyes at a fraction of the cost.
Irrelevant comment that likely won't be true anyhow. Good post though.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:

Yeah, those all-star players are such problems for other teams. If you're not jealous then you're certainly threatened by them.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Yeah, those all-star players are such problems for other teams. If you're not jealous then you're certainly threatened by them.
So threatened I made a nic bet here.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Bob Barker

Quote:
So threatened I made a nic bet here.
Which I agreed to...

Old
02-04-2013, 12:39 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Fair weather, it seems.
People aren't going to continue to argue with someone whose proven themselves to be irrational and delusional...

And these 'fair weather' fans? The Jays had better attendance then your precious white sox last year? Imagine that? http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
People aren't going to continue to argue with someone whose proven themselves to be irrational and delusional...

And these 'fair weather' fans? The Jays had better attendance then your precious white sox last year? Imagine that? http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance
To be fair, the Sox do have another team in their market to contend with, like Oakland does.

Sox rely heavily on walk ups, as does Oakland.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post

Yes, the first time in a decade the Blue Jays beat the Sox in attendance, with the White Sox also having to deal with the Cubs, one of the most iconic teams in the game, surely is a nice barometer of telling anybody who will listen that their numbers arent made up solely of fair weather fans.

I sisnt even do anything. It just writes itself.

Didnt see you take the bet. Why is that?

Old
02-04-2013, 12:14 PM
JaysCyYoung

Chicago has almost four million more people than Toronto and plays in a baseball-only facility. They are also only seven years and change removed from a World Series championship, so I don't buy the explanation that the Cubs - who also happen to play in a significantly smaller facility with a ton of afternoon games - are negatively impacting the White Sox totals. Stop making excuses for their poor attendance figures.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

Yes, the first time in a decade the Blue Jays beat the Sox in attendance, with the White Sox also having to deal with the Cubs, one of the most iconic teams in the game, surely is a nice barometer of telling anybody who will listen that their numbers arent made up solely of fair weather fans.

To be fair, the Cubs were godawful while the Sox were at least competitive, which should help the Sox

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:01 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Martini can't express his views? I see nothing wrong with what he said. To go from 70 wins to nearly 90+ in a span of a year is a HUGE leap.
I know.. when has the last time a team jumped 20+ wins in one season? Probably has never happened, right?

Quote:
and? I mean, it's totally a ridiculous and irrelevant assumption but what is your point? Do you think the Jays are hurting for money or something?

Also, why are you Jays fans even bothering with that other guy? He's clearly baiting you and obviously trolling. Just ignore him.

shakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:14 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Chicago has almost four million more people than Toronto and plays in a baseball-only facility. They are also only seven years and change removed from a World Series championship, so I don't buy the explanation that the Cubs - who also happen to play in a significantly smaller facility with a ton of afternoon games - are negatively impacting the White Sox totals. Stop making excuses for their poor attendance figures.

Yes, the Cubs have averaged almost three million people for how many years, missing that number last year with a 100 loss team by only 120,000 while the White Sox, have averaged two million for how many years straight, I think eight off the top of my head. So, in reality, baseball attendance numbers in Chicago were down across the board which is and always will be, a Cubs town, sadly. So strawman logic is just that. Not to mention how the White Sox had better TV ratings then the Flubs, wont even bring that one up.

And what poor attendance figures are these when compared to the Bluye Jays they are so, so much better?

Old
02-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
To be fair, the Cubs were godawful while the Sox were at least competitive, which should help the Sox
Chicago is a Flubs town. The White Sox won the WS and still didnt out draw the Flubs.

If you dont know the allegiance of baseball teams in Chicago, you really dont have a leg to stand on in such a debate when even Sox fans will tell you its a Cubs town.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:09 PM
sparxx87

Quote:

That sounds like an excuse to me?

No matter how you wanna twist it, these 'fair weather' fans in Toronto attended more games then your fellow White Sox fans..

You're way too caught up in the past. Be present.

Nobody called Blackhawks fans 'fair weather' fans when the madhouse was more like an empty house before Toews and Kane. The Hawks were irrelevant for like 40 years, but that wasn't going to last forever... The Jays drought won't either, especially now that ownership is prepared to spend with the big boys...

You also made comments regarding acquiring the core through trades; most of the Sox starting lineup was acquired through trade or free agency, what's the difference? Strawman? Chris Sale is the only player who I see as a clear upgrade over anyone on the Jays roster.. Beyond that the Sox are very mediocre and will miss the playoffs again, despite playing in the very weak AL central.

You're either a hater, or you're incredibly delusional.. Either way, most of your comments are laughable.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote