HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Is Eric Tangradi officially a bust?

View Poll Results: Is Eric Tangradi a bust?
Yes 102 50.00%
No 15 7.35%
Too Early To Say 87 42.65%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

vCash: 500
Bylsma ruined him IMO. We gotta move him because Bylsma doesn't like him.

I just pray he doesn't ruin BB the same way...kid better not be seeing 4th line minutes when he gets here.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliardo View Post
Yep, I mean all of our defensmen will pan out, what are we going to do when 2 top 4 defensmen join the big Pens every year?

That said, the word bust is nothing bad. Sometimes, a young man just doens't make it as a hockey player. That's ok.
Absolutely.

IMO, the thing that steams some people here about Tangradi is NOT that he hasn't panned out. It's how the organization handled him. You look at the player he was at camp four years ago, right after the cup win, and the player he is now (and how he's been handled in that time), and that's the part that's disconcerting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post

I just pray he doesn't ruin BB the same way...kid better not be seeing 4th line minutes when he gets here.
You are not alone with that prayer.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Krom

He'll have maybe one shift every couple games where I think that there may be something there. But he lacks first step quickness and his change of direction is terrible. He always seems to be a step away from being in position to make a play. He has a hard time lining people up for hits for the same reason. A lot of his shots seem to be right at the goalie as if he feels he doesn't have time to pick a spot and just wants to get it off. In an 82 game season, I'd try to play him a lot and give him minutes to see if he can find his game. This year, I'm not so sure.

Krom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:

The fact they're trying to turn Bennett into a North/South player kind of scares me. It's bad enough we don't have much in the way of skilled winger prospects in our pipeline, but the few we do have the organization seems to want to turn into *their* idea of what a winger should play like, instead of letting the kid play to his strengths.

God forbid not every one of our wingers plays like Craig Adams/Matt Cooke/Pascal Dupuis.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I don't think the Pens ruined Tangradi. I just don't think Tangradi was as good as people thought he was. He became an overrated prospect because of the lack of other good forward prospects in the system.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:04 PM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
People talk about what he's done at the NHL level, but fact is, he hasn't had a lot of chances to prove anything at the NHL level. You can point to the amount of games he's "played" in, but fact is, until the first 2 games this season, he played 8 mins a game with Craig Adams on the 4th line. Even the 2 games he played with Geno, he didn't have a set spot there and was shifted around a lot. He's had 11, 9, 4, and 9 mins in the last 4 games.

If you want a guy to get better and prove himself, you have to give him time to get in a rhythm. Playing him 2-4 shifts a period where there is no semblance of a rhythm is not the way to go about it. Put him in there, let him make mistakes. At least you can coach a mistake. You can't coach a guy who is sitting on the bench.

I still can't get over people calling a 23 year old player a bust.
I know you can be very out of touch with reality, but I suggest that you look at the numbers again because the majority of folks around here (who are very astute at following the Penguins) agree with that exact sentiment.

It's a little silly to act so dumbfounded about a prevailing majority/consensus opinion, don't you think? Perhaps even a bit illogical?

Last edited by cassius: 01-28-2013 at 12:10 PM.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Boocock

I liked his game yesterday. He intercepted pucks, made simple plays on the boards, made physical contact, and demonstrated some solid stick work.

If he can make the kind of impact he made last night on a regular basis, he'll play in the NHL. This talk of him being ruined by being played on the fourth line is absurd. Whatever happened to working your way from the bottom up?

He'll be fine. I'd rather see him get consistent minutes on the 4th line than inconsistent minutes on the 2nd.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boocock View Post
I liked his game yesterday. He intercepted pucks, made simple plays on the boards, made physical contact, and demonstrated some solid stick work.

If he can make the kind of impact he made last night on a regular basis, he'll play in the NHL. This talk of him being ruined by being played on the fourth line is absurd. Whatever happened to working your way from the bottom up?

He'll be fine. I'd rather see him get consistent minutes on the 4th line than inconsistent minutes on the 2nd.
I agree.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Pancakes

Not to mention Bylsma sprinkled him in on the Malkin line a few times. I really like the way they used Tangradi last night. Mostly 4th with the odd top six shift. Perfect way to mix up the dynamic on Malkin's line now and then while not putting too much pressure on Tangradi.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I know you can be very out of touch with reality, but I suggest that you look at the numbers again because the majority of folks around here (who are very astute at following the Penguins) agree with that exact sentiment.

It's a little silly to act so dumbfounded about a prevailing majority/consensus opinion, don't you think? Perhaps even a bit illogical?
49% (at current time) doesn't equal a majority. By any definition of the term.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:52 PM
ds246pit

It is too early to tell imo. Power-forwards are tough to develop. I'm not saying he's going to be a 50 goal scorer but there are not that many power-forwards that developed early. Examples:

John LeClair: Drafted 2nd round, 1987. First year making any impact was 92-93 and only had 19 goals. First big production years did not start until 94-95. 7 Years after he was drafted.

Shane Doan: Drafted #7 in 1995. First real impact was 5 years later in 99-00 where he scored 26.

Bill Guerin: Drafted #5 overall in 1989. First 20 goal season was 94-95

I am sure there are others and a few guys jumped in pretty quick like Tkachuk and Shanahan but the point is power-forwards many times don't mature into their game until their mid 20's. If he has not developed past his current state within another 2 seasons i'll be worried but until then i think it is too early to write him off.

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:59 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I agree.
So do I.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:02 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

has anyone said he was ruined by being played on the 4th line? A lot of people, myself included, were fine with him on the 4th line, we just wanted him to get regular 4th line shifts. Look at his shifts last year, he wasn't getting on the ice regularly.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:08 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
has anyone said he was ruined by being played on the 4th line? A lot of people, myself included, were fine with him on the 4th line, we just wanted him to get regular 4th line shifts. Look at his shifts last year, he wasn't getting on the ice regularly.
Regular shifts anywhere is all I ever wanted. It still baffles me how people think any young player can perform given the circumstances Tangradi has been put in over the years.

The last game was a great example of how I'd like to see him being used going forward. Regular 4th line minutes, with a few shifts in the rest of the lineup sprinkled in whenever game situations dictate it.

Now if we could only get Jeffrey the same...

Old
01-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Regular shifts anywhere is all I ever wanted. It still baffles me how people think any young player can perform given the circumstances Tangradi has been put in over the years.

The last game was a great example of how I'd like to see him being used going forward. Regular 4th line minutes, with a few shifts in the rest of the lineup sprinkled in whenever game situations dictate it.

Now if we could only get Jeffrey the same...
But where would Adams play!?!?!

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:14 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
But where would Adams play!?!?!
He could play with himself in the locker room for all I care. He's great at what he does, but what he does isn't that great.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:36 PM
87isgod

I have bashed him as you know. But I will admit he looked a ton better last night. I'm not ready to eat crowe just yet but I did feel alil better yesterday.

87isgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Gooch

Quote:

Thats how I see it as well. I stopped caring about a lot of the prospects on the team because I can't think of the last one who was handled well and became an impact player on the team. People had a lovefest with Bylsma and many still do with Shero but I can't for the life of me think of any impact rookie/young player drafted and developed by this team since Letang. Either the scouting and drafting is horrible, or something along the line in the player development pipeline is severely messed up. It's been enough time that there shouldve been someone of significance since then.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Boocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Thats how I see it as well. I stopped caring about a lot of the prospects on the team because I can't think of the last one who was handled well and became an impact player on the team. People had a lovefest with Bylsma and many still do with Shero but I can't for the life of me think of any impact rookie/young player drafted and developed by this team since Letang. Either the scouting and drafting is horrible, or something along the line in the player development pipeline is severely messed up. It's been enough time that there shouldve been someone of significance since then.
A lot of our prospects are currently in the NCAA. Many ended up being busts, yes. But, out of young players drafted / developed since 2007, Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bortuzzo, and Despres are with the big club. And, frankly, a lot of these younger players simply may not be qualified to take a roster spot from a veteran that's still contributing.

I'm not concerned.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Gooch

Quote:
A lot of our prospects are currently in the NCAA. Many ended up being busts, yes. But, out of young players drafted / developed since 2007, Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bortuzzo, and Despres are with the big club. And, frankly, a lot of these younger players simply may not be qualified to take a roster spot from a veteran that's still contributing.

I'm not concerned.
This is an entire thread devoted to the possibility that Tangradi is a bust and you're touting him as a success of the system? Jeffrey? What's he done as a pro beside be a healthy scratch and injured most of the time? None of these guys are proving to be an impact player and enough time has passed that at least SOMEONE shouldve been especially when it's a yearly occasion of having open auditions for worthless 4th liners to be put into the top 6. I am concerned because in one of the most important aspects of a salary capped league is player development and in the last 5 years there have been few successes in that department. I loved the Despres pick at that time but honestly I just feel something is being done wrong with how our prospects are being handled. Whether they're brought up too slow, discouraged from being the player they were drafted as, or just homogenized to the point where they're groomed to be bottom pairing/bottom 6er material. The results have been lackluster and those worried early on about how these guys were handled are now being vindicated with the results.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:49 AM
JTG

I don't think the disappointment some people have with Tangradi has anything to do with him, but the expectations they had of him. Real hard to blame a 23 year old player for that, as he had nothing to do with it.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 11:15 AM
wtbipyo

All I asked for were improvements during the season.

#1 - Center drive to allow the Neal goal that sent us into a shootout in Ottawa.

I'm a fan of 4th line comfortable shifts and sprinkle in a few shifts with Malkin/Neal. However, like most, I'd like to see secure lines and build chemistry.

wtbipyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Gooch

Quote:
I don't think the disappointment some people have with Tangradi has anything to do with him, but the expectations they had of him. Real hard to blame a 23 year old player for that, as he had nothing to do with it.
I believe he never got a real chance to showcase what he can do. It seems what will likely happen is he'll be lost on waivers or a real crappy trade only to become a decent player on another team.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
JTG

I don't think he's got a fair shot either, and I don't think we have the coaching staff to let him develop.

In all honesty, if what Brian Strait says is true, I fear for our prospects and how it may turn out. If a coaching staff honestly expects a kid in their young 20's to come in and immediately play like a veteran, well then, they are going to be sorely disappointed. You have got to show some trust in young guys. Bylsma has no trust except for the players who played exactly like he did.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I don't think he's got a fair shot either, and I don't think we have the coaching staff to let him develop.

In all honesty, if what Brian Strait says is true, I fear for our prospects and how it may turn out. If a coaching staff honestly expects a kid in their young 20's to come in and immediately play like a veteran, well then, they are going to be sorely disappointed. You have got to show some trust in young guys. Bylsma has no trust except for the players who played exactly like he did.
It is what it is with DB. Strait didn't reveal anything we couldn't see for ourselves. With Tangradi it is becoming obvious he has it in his mind he doesn't want him on the team, so nothing we can do about it.

Jeffrey showed a spark and some chemistry on the second line last night. The TSN crew even said he was the Pen's best offensive player yesterday, so it isn't something in my head that I just wanted to see. Lets hope he can get more than two shifts in a row on the Malkin line.

He is really all that is left because all of the options have been used up.

DB better have the patience to give him the appropriate time to prove he can be a second line winger or not.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote