HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Another possible waiver wire pickup, Boychuk? (Pens Claim, Post #38)

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
Another possible waiver wire pickup, Boychuk? (Pens Claim, Post #38)

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ced-on-waivers

Zach Boychuk placed on waivers. Another player that was on the world junior team with Tavares. He was an alternate captain as well. If they do go after him who do the Isles send to Bridgeport? I would let Finley go if thats even possible. Found this on youtube. Tavares looks like a kid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5QAsx2Wys

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Wow. Boychuck was picked 5 picks after Bailey. And folks around here think Snow is bad at handling prospects?

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Wow. Boychuck was picked 5 picks after Bailey. And folks around here think Snow is bad at handling prospects?
Yeah if we all played monday morning QB i bet we could find throughout the history of hockey 100's of GM's picking the wrong guy and also the handling of them. For just a small sample see Grabner and Moulson, both of them were on 2 teams before they got here so someone missed the boat case in point.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
RWWallpaper

Very true...and especially with regard to the last few drafts under Bill Torrey around here for a perfect example. He was a terrific talent evaluator but that didn't stop him from wasting some of our best draft picks in the late 80's and early 90's.

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Yashin for President

in the video its Hickey Subban Tavares Boychuk.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...ced-on-waivers

Zach Boychuk placed on waivers. Another player that was on the world junior team with Tavares. He was an alternate captain as well. If they do go after him who do the Isles send to Bridgeport? I would let Finley go if thats even possible. Found this on youtube. Tavares looks like a kid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5QAsx2Wys
Small center with limited potential. The team needs to get bigger, not smaller.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Yashin for President

Cant ignore that he is averaging about a point a game this season. Im sure Nino would be thrilled if the isles picked Boychuk up.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
Cant ignore that he is averaging about a point a game this season. Im sure Nino would be thrilled if the isles picked Boychuk up.
32 points in 37 games with the Charlotte Checkers, I wonder why the Hurricanes would call the kid up for only a game and subject him to waivers like that....

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Macch

I like the make up of the Isles forward lines. 2 scoring lines, 1 grinding line and 1 checking line. I don't really see where Boychuck would fit in.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
InformTheMasses

Had Aucoin been a dud, Boychuk would have been worth a shot. Obviously Boychuk is younger and has more potential long term, but I don't see where he fits either.

Too bad, I saw him play a lot a few years ago for the Albany River Rats. Kids has talent, despite being small. He can definitely make it in the right situation.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Degeneration Rex

How about putting Finley on waivers and claiming Boychuk?

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
The when Viz and Bailey show up? we send down Cizikas and MacDonald? Not sure I would want to do that. I mean I would much prefer Boulton and Reasoner get cut loose, but that's not happening.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
If Bailey was going to be out awhile, sure, but once Bailey returns your wingers are: Moulson, Okposo, Grabner, Boyes, Bailey, Ullstrom, Martin, Cizikas.

Maybe Reasoner is benched opening a spot on the 4th line, but Boychuk isn't the right type of player for that role.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
The when Viz and Bailey show up? we send down Cizikas and MacDonald? Not sure I would want to do that. I mean I would much prefer Boulton and Reasoner get cut loose, but that's not happening.
I agree 100% but I am not sure if Viz will be here for long, or at all. If ever someone burned a bridge, he did, and though we could use him in the worst way, if Strait & Hickey continue patching the holes and a desperate GM offers too much for Viz I could see the unthinkable (three months ago) happening.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
OpAck

Part of me says "hail no...there's no room." The other part of me wonders if a new environment for Boychuk would do him some good. Tempting...considering he's another guy close to Johnny and Hickey. But yeah...how do you fit him in with Bailey coming back soon.

Either way...I doubt Boychuk would clear. If not the Isles, I think another team would take a flyer on him.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

Take him and drop Reasoner

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

I'm betting that if he doesn't get claimed by us (which I doubt at this point), he's Calgary bound.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing us grab Janssen to take over Boulton's role as 13th forward to be added to line up when additional toughness is needed. Then we can send Bolts down to the minors, because I doubt anyone claims him (and even if they do, just as well), and he no longer serves a role on the team.

Boychuk could fit with McDonald out for a couple games. If he does well, then we can make room to keep him. But I don't see him as likely to be much of a contributor at this time.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Yeah if we all played monday morning QB i bet we could find throughout the history of hockey 100's of GM's picking the wrong guy and also the handling of them. For just a small sample see Grabner and Moulson, both of them were on 2 teams before they got here so someone missed the boat case in point.
it seems i always repeat myself: grabs wasnt sent packing from the nucks because they were down on him, he was a valuable asset they sent in ballards direction. stop treating grabners pickup like moulsons. Only florida was stupid enough to send him packing for free.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:21 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
it seems i always repeat myself: grabs wasnt sent packing from the nucks because they were down on him, he was a valuable asset they sent in ballards direction. stop treating grabners pickup like moulsons. Only florida was stupid enough to send him packing for free.
I'm not quite sure where this coming from because the comment was not directed at you but either way Garth got him for free. While i can't be certain if anyone else put a claim on him i can tell you he ended up here again for nothing so to downplay Snow for picking him up i will kindly disagree.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:23 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
Don't see any room for him. Reasoner has been solid on the PK.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:34 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
Although this is true, Grabner was part of a package that garnered a high valued return, keep in mind Grabner was said to look "slow" and "out of shape" at Panthers camp.

They didn't feel Grabner deserved a spot on their roster and wanted to send him down for conditioning and so forth.

As far as Moulson, the guy had never scored 30 goals ANYWHERE before being paired with Tavares. I do not care what anyone says, Moulson is not 1/8 the player he is today without Tavares.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:58 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Although this is true, Grabner was part of a package that garnered a high valued return, keep in mind Grabner was said to look "slow" and "out of shape" at Panthers camp.

They didn't feel Grabner deserved a spot on their roster and wanted to send him down for conditioning and so forth.

As far as Moulson, the guy had never scored 30 goals ANYWHERE before being paired with Tavares. I do not care what anyone says, Moulson is not 1/8 the player he is today without Tavares.
I think Moulson would be the same player he is today if he had not joined up with John Tavares. I just think without John Tavares he would have never got a chance at top line minutes in the NHL to show he belonged in the NHL.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post

thats why the onus is on florida. to be fair i am not sure grabner is quite the same without nielsen (as in moulson & jt).

Old
01-30-2013, 06:22 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
I'm not quite sure where this coming from because the comment was not directed at you but either way Garth got him for free. While i can't be certain if anyone else put a claim on him i can tell you he ended up here again for nothing so to downplay Snow for picking him up i will kindly disagree.
sorry bout the slight outburst. I am reading the same all around the boards these days (all the waiver picks) and i feel its wrong to say grabner had been passed over by 2 organisations. It was really one.

sorry again...