HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Schroeder Appreciation Thread!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
  #76
sobrio
Registered User
 
sobrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bucerias
Country: Mexico
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
He played the same way in the AHL though. I disagree about his vision. Like I said, his hands are very soft and he makes some nifty cross ice passes off the rush. But in all the games I've watched of him (not many, maybe a dozen) I've never seen him make a pass that truly impressed me as far as reading the play goes.

I have seen barely anything of Kadri, so I can't argue that point at all.



I just think Canucks fans are almost too easily impressed with young players at this point because we want to have our own young stars to fawn over like most every other NHL team has. I don't mean you particularly, it's just a general comment on the rest of the fan base. Schroeder looks solid, he plays an intelligent pro game and deserves the trust of the coach with his play so far.

I just don't see anything to get all excited about. Not like Kassian, for example.
This is what happens when the offensive pantry has been mediocre, for the most part, for years. Wishing and hoping does not change that reality.

sobrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:35 PM
  #77
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBIF View Post
For some of the older guys around here, possible to compare him to Ronning?

I'm going off size alone pretty much, really don't remember much about his game.
Did pretty well along the boards, considering his size. Big heart. Played the last part of the '94 finals with a broken hand.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
  #78
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Did pretty well along the boards, considering his size. Big heart. Played the last part of the '94 finals with a broken hand.

Ronning was all heart. Loved the way he played the game. He would give you everything he had.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
  #79
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ronning was all heart. Loved the way he played the game. He would give you everything he had.
Cool guy too. It's worth buying a stick at base hockey just to hang out with Cliffy for an hour.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:43 PM
  #80
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBIF View Post
For some of the older guys around here, possible to compare him to Ronning?

I'm going off size alone pretty much, really don't remember much about his game.
ronning was much more of a pure playmaker, also more of a one-dimensional offensive guy even though he was pretty tough and got involved for such a little guy. he was one of my favourites, mostly because he was so competitive out there.

as others have said, morrison is the better comparison. looks more effortless, more well-rounded game, less natural offensive skill and vision. if you gave ronning a then-average 5'11, 190 lb body, i'd bet he's a top five pick in his draft, and a 1,000 point scorer.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
  #81
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Cool guy too. It's worth buying a stick at base hockey just to hang out with Cliffy for an hour.
a total class act. cliff makes a reservation with some friends on the closing night of my uncle's restaurant, which was an old vancouver institution. my uncle tips me off and tells me to send over something for cliffy to sign.

i'm like 10 years old and don't know any better, so i send something like 30 ronning cards. they all came back signed. poor guy just wanted to enjoy his last meal at one of his favourite restaurants.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:48 PM
  #82
TBIF
Registered User
 
TBIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Thanks for the responses guys!

TBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:57 PM
  #83
nucksfan8888
Registered User
 
nucksfan8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think you have to try that when he comes back, and it could very well work.

But it would also mean a Higgins - Burrows - Hansen third line, most likely, and possibly Booth on the 4th line.
Burrows has looked fine at center, and I actually think it utilizes his playmaking better than on the wing when not playing with the Sedins. Also, with Burrows at center AV has his trusted third line center and Hansen has a center who knows his way around the offensive zone(not Malhotra) and knows how to pass(not Lappierre). Higgins has been average at best and a passenger most nights this year so far, and Booth is still injured and when he comes back he won't have played hockey in a long time while everyone else is in mid season form. So that left wing spot isn't exactly set in stone, and Booth starting off on the 4th line isn't a bad thing, come playoff time he may bump Raymond off the 2nd line if he plays up to his potential.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Kesler is a Selke winner (playing center) and the Canucks' best player. Plus, he's a prima-dona. Moving Kesler to wing, would have the same result as Luongo becoming the back-up - "trade me".
He would still play center on the pk obviously and possibly the pp if he wanted. The 2nd unit could be made to revolve around him. Moving to the wing and sitting on the bench are 2 completely different things 1st of all. 2nd it would give Kesler the oppurtunity to play with the Sedins 5 on 5. And really? Kesler needs to get over being a prima dona, this team is MUCH more versatile with Kesler on the wing, and his ego is not a big enough reason(though it's close ) to not at least try it. Also Schroeder is a much more humble kid than Hodgson ever was so that might help in settling Mr.Prima-dona's attitude.

nucksfan8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
  #84
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksfan8888 View Post

Kesler needs to get over being a prima dona, this team is MUCH more versatile with Kesler on the wing, and his ego is not a big enough reason(though it's close ) to not at least try it. Also Schroeder is a much more humble kid than Hodgson ever was so that might help in settling Mr.Prima-dona's attitude.
I agree with you. However, Kesler is most likely a '*****' to play against. He can be more involved (on the defensive end) playing center. Although Schroeder appears to be a solid defender, he does not have the same 'edge' that Kesler has. Kesler is just far too valuable playing at center, especially in his own end. Kesler makes the other teams best centers go nuts. It's part of what makes him a special player. This 'edge' is not part of Schroeder's game. Although I do like Schroeder's game, it would be so much better if he played a bit nastier.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:12 PM
  #85
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I agree with you. However, Kesler is most likely a '*****' to play against. He can be more involved (on the defensive end) playing center. Although Schroeder appears to be a solid defender, he does not have the same 'edge' that Kesler has. Kesler is just far too valuable playing at center, especially in his own end. Kesler makes the other teams best centers go nuts. It's part of what makes him a special player. This 'edge' is not part of Schroeder's game. Although I do like Schroeder's game, it would be so much better if he played a bit nastier.
He would get killed by somebody if he played nastier. The only reason Kesler can get away with it is because he can back it up in a fight if need be. Plus it would make Schroeder a target for even more physical play and as good as he is at taking hits, I don't know that I want him to be even more targeted than he already is.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
  #86
nucksfan8888
Registered User
 
nucksfan8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I agree with you. However, Kesler is most likely a '*****' to play against. He can be more involved (on the defensive end) playing center. Although Schroeder appears to be a solid defender, he does not have the same 'edge' that Kesler has. Kesler is just far too valuable playing at center, especially in his own end. Kesler makes the other teams best centers go nuts. It's part of what makes him a special player. This 'edge' is not part of Schroeder's game. Although I do like Schroeder's game, it would be so much better if he played a bit nastier.
This is very true, and most times the top player is the opposing teams #1 center but what if the best forward on the other team is a winger, or they have a defencemen like Campbell, Keith, or Doughty? Couldn't Kesler's defensive presence be utilzed there? And whose to say that Kesler couldn't still be the defensive end of the puck center while Schroeder took on offensive responbilities of the center position for the line.

As much as Kesler's game is suited for center, defensively, do you even want him taking that abuse game in and game out? Why not save him for playoffs when we're up by a goal, instead of using him during the season so he's injured for playoffs again and having to send out a untested Schroder instead.

It's good to have options, its good to be veratile from line to line and within a line. Detriot I find has always been a good model for this, they seem to have an infinite amount of line combinations and outside of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen does not have much seperation in talent from top to bottom. Right now Vancouver's set in stone in terms of our top 6 and bottom 6. We don't have a strong enough seperation between our bottom 3 top 6 players and our top 3 bottom 6 players to do this, which is not a bad thing, I see this as a similiar trait to Detriots forwards of recent years. And as such we need to follow a similiar model where our depth is kept fresh and creative by sometimes keeping a line together but moving the pieces around. Also like detriot, being able to stack that first line when needed is a nice luxury which is made more useful if Kesler were to transition to play wing at times.

nucksfan8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:02 PM
  #87
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Ronning was more offensively crafty/savvy. Schroeder is stronger. Both are pretty fast.


I think he's more like Morrison than he is like Ronning, if that helps?
I wouldn't have thought so when he was younger, but Schroeder really is looking more and more like a Morrison type.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:03 PM
  #88
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksfan8888;58684435As much as Kesler's game is suited for center, defensively, do you even want him taking that abuse game in and game out? Why not save him for playoffs when we're up by a goal, instead of using him during the season so he's injured for playoffs again and having to send out a untested Schroder instead.

.
I certainly agree with the concept, but it's not me you need to convince. Coach V will play Kesler at center, and to death (20 + min/game) in order to win games, because that's the coach's job. Kesler will demand to play center, because that defines who he is. I don't see either one buying in to the concept, especially a coach who's job is to win games.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
  #89
lush
@jasonlush
 
lush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
Shroeder has exceeded my expectations so far. It's too bad we couldn't see a line with Raymond/Schroeder/Booth right now while Raymond is playing well. Schroeder has a good defensive game and while I don't expect him to win a Selke I've noticed that with his footspeed he's able to back check really effectively. He's not going to overpower guys for the puck like Kesler can do but he also won't be 3 steps behind on the back check taking a stupid hooking penalty either. Very responsible player.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
  #90
PRNuck
Registered User
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I wouldn't have thought so when he was younger, but Schroeder really is looking more and more like a Morrison type.
I absolutely love watching him skate with the puck, man he's a good skater.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:41 PM
  #91
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I absolutely love watching him skate with the puck, man he's a good skater.
Yup. He's much more effective through the neutral zone than in the offensive zone right now because he has his feet moving. People are right that he needs to challenge players one on one but he needs to do that with his speed rather than stick handling. He'll do that when he's not starting from a standstill so often in the O-zone imo.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:54 PM
  #92
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Yup. He's much more effective through the neutral zone than in the offensive zone right now because he has his feet moving. People are right that he needs to challenge players one on one but he needs to do that with his speed rather than stick handling. He'll do that when he's not starting from a standstill so often in the O-zone imo.
Actually, coach V would sit Schroeder if he challenged D on the rush. (Turn over and counter attack.) If he is to challenge D, it should be in the offensive zone and from the static. Even then, he should only do this in a corner or behind the net, not on the wall or half-boards. Considering his purpose on this current Canuck's roster, he needs to balance risk and reward.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
  #93
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Actually, coach V would sit Schroeder if he challenged D on the rush. (Turn over and counter attack.) If he is to challenge D, it should be in the offensive zone and from the static. Even then, he should only do this in a corner or behind the net, not on the wall or half-boards. Considering his purpose on this current Canuck's roster, he needs to balance risk and reward.
I disagree. When you challenge with speed (on the half wall or on the rush) you do it with good puck protection. Schroeder should be challenging that high seam off the wall with his quickness and plus shot. The key is not over-handling the puck, once you get the corner you gotta let it go before they collapse on you.

Schroeder cannot be static on the cycle or he loses all effectiveness. If standing still an NHL defensemen is going to punish him physically. He has to keep his feet moving.

I agree that Schroeder needs to balance risk and reward. He can't be turning the puck over at the blue line trying to challenge people one on one. He has to be smart. You can't completely clip his wings though, or you're really limiting his potential.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:15 PM
  #94
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I disagree. When you challenge with speed (on the half wall or on the rush) you do it with good puck protection. Schroeder should be challenging that high seam off the wall with his quickness and plus shot. The key is not over-handling the puck, once you get the corner you gotta let it go before they collapse on you.

Schroeder cannot be static on the cycle or he loses all effectiveness. If standing still an NHL defensemen is going to punish him physically. He has to keep his feet moving.

I agree that Schroeder needs to balance risk and reward. He can't be turning the puck over at the blue line trying to challenge people one on one. He has to be smart. You can't completely clip his wings though, or you're really limiting his potential.
I like your more complete analysis of Schroeder on the rush, but he does need to play inside the dots too. I must still disagree with your view of Schroeder's advantage (or lack there-of) from the static. He is smaller and quicker than most D he plays against. Drawing them close to him, then passing and moving quickly is to his advantage. How should get inside position on the every time. Plus, it's a low risk play, and he can stay on the defensive side.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:37 PM
  #95
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He would get killed by somebody if he played nastier. The only reason Kesler can get away with it is because he can back it up in a fight if need be. Plus it would make Schroeder a target for even more physical play and as good as he is at taking hits, I don't know that I want him to be even more targeted than he already is.
They need to be tougher


Last edited by Alflives: 01-30-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: No reason
Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:49 PM
  #96
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I like your more complete analysis of Schroeder on the rush, but he does need to play inside the dots too. I must still disagree with your view of Schroeder's advantage (or lack there-of) from the static. He is smaller and quicker than most D he plays against. Drawing them close to him, then passing and moving quickly is to his advantage. How should get inside position on the every time. Plus, it's a low risk play, and he can stay on the defensive side.
I want to illustrate what I'm talking about with Schroeder.



Eberle challenges defensemen with his stick handling. He carries the puck out in front of him and dares the d-man to try and get a stick on it. It's dangerous because it can easily be poked off your stick and go the other way. Eberle and other elite stick handlers (Datsyuk comes to mind) get away with it, Schroeder should avoid it.



This is the kind of play Schroeder can and should make imo. Challenge d-men with speed and good puck protection. The puck protection is key, it really limits the risk of the puck going quickly the other way.

You can't get between the dots consistently without challenging seams in the defence. This is where Raymond has been much more effective. When he is playing with confidence he challenges those seams with good puck protection.


Last edited by Scurr: 01-30-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:55 PM
  #97
Alflives
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I want to illustrate what I'm talking about with Schroeder.

[YT=rcVNYrWYcEU/yt]

Eberle challenges defensemen with his stick handling. He carries the puck out in front of him and dares the d-man to try and get a stick on it. It's dangerous because it can easily be poked off your stick and go the other way. Eberle and other elite stick handlers (Datsyuk comes to mind) get away with it, Schroeder should avoid it.

[YT==FTIvCwGSI1Q/YT]

This is the kind of play Schroeder can and should make imo. Challenge d-men with speed and good puck protection. The puck protection is key, it really limits the risk of the puck going quickly the other way.
It appears we agree. Challenge oppenents in low risk areas, while protecting the puck. Pass the puck and move your feet to the defensive side of your opponent.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
  #98
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucksfan8888 View Post
Also Schroeder is a much more humble kid than Hodgson ever was so that might help in settling Mr.Prima-dona's attitude.
which is funny because wasn't that the exact opposite of their scouting reports and everything we heard about both guys up to when they entered our farm system? i remember people being all over schroeder for being a prima donna when he was at (and when he was leaving) minnesota, and of course hodgson was godson/future captain/next trev.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:54 PM
  #99
TBIF
Registered User
 
TBIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
which is funny because wasn't that the exact opposite of their scouting reports and everything we heard about both guys up to when they entered our farm system? i remember people being all over schroeder for being a prima donna when he was at (and when he was leaving) minnesota, and of course hodgson was godson/future captain/next trev.
Not so much a prima donna as it was that he was more cocky.

I think he left college really full of himself and left the wolves rather humbled by the AHL.

TBIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:10 PM
  #100
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
I remember reading Schroeder struggled last season or possibly the one before when switched to the wing. Does anyone know why this is? I'm in no way suggesting we move him to the wing, but I am curious how he would play next to Kesler. He's a speedy, defensively responsible playmaker - something Kesler has been lacking for years.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.