HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Ryan Spooner Get the Third Line Duty Over Chris Bourque?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

vCash: 500
Anyone know what Caron's time table for return is?

Guaranteed that once he is healthy and if Bourque still hasn't produced on the 3rd line and they continue to struggle he will get a chance.

Also Tardif has 20 goals on the Baby Bruins, 12 more than anyone on the team, plus I looked up information on Wiki and found he shoots both ways?
Flat blade old school style or what?

Jamie Tardif
Born (1985-01-23) January 23, 1985 (age 28)
Welland, ON, CAN
Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
Weight 207 lb (94 kg; 14 st 11 lb)
Position Forward
Shoots both NHL team (P)
Cur. team Boston Bruins
Providence Bruins (AHL)
NHL Draft 112th overall, 2003
Calgary Flames
Playing career 2006–present

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:10 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Chris Bourque has more ice-time than Greg Campbell and Dan Paille who I'm sure we all would agree are more integral to the Bruins than Bourque. He has the worst plus/minus on the team, only 3 shots ( worse among forwards ), and sees more PP time than Rich Peverley, another player we can all agree is more integral to the Bruins success than Bourque. He has 39 career NHL games under his belt and only 4 points.

I really want to get behind this kid and see him do well, but it's pretty obvious the experiment is not working. Yes, we're winning but why wait until we're losing to fix an obvious problem? I think he's fine as an injury replacement for someone on the 3rd/4th line, but as a regular 3rd line player in the league, he does not cut it. At least in the case for Caron his size and offensive potential are useful and he's easily as good if not a better two way player. With Lane MacDermid, you know he'll throw around his size along the boards and in front of the net. That third line needs a sparkplug and for as hard as Bourque works, he doesn't spark anything except yawns.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Quaider*
RONDO BABY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Its an absolute agenda. Those 2 clubs (especially Buffalo) have beefed up just because of the Bruins. For those 2 games at least use the 4th line as muscle and
3rd line as speed.

Otherwise we are going to see guys we need on the ice in the box instead.

Has nothing to do with CB. Hes just odd man out.
You mean play Mcdermid so Looch doesn't go with Scott? Agreed that we need the extra muscle for that game. Why not have the additional thump for every game? I mean, would Mcdermid not be able to match Bourques numbers? I think yes.

Quaider* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:16 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
The point was about judging Joe Thornton and Seguin in their first 6 Bruins games.
I think paying homage to the obvious and common sense should be applied here. Thornton and Seguin were 18 year old rookies who were number 1 and number 2 overall draft picks. Chris Bourque is a 27 year old career AHL player. The blatant talent difference of Thornton and Seguin vs Bourque even in their rookie years shoudl be quite apparent to anyone who watched all three play. I can't believe I'm actually having this discussion, lol.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushhawg View Post
You mean play Mcdermid so Looch doesn't go with Scott? Agreed that we need the extra muscle for that game. Why not have the additional thump for every game? I mean, would Mcdermid not be able to match Bourques numbers? I think yes.
Watched some of the Leafs/Sabres tilt between periods, hardly a team that has this fan concerned about physically. I never worry about the Bruins being able to match toughness

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Totally understand your logic and opinions. You and I have seen both sides, loads of players who underwhelm in the AHL are able to play more consistently at the higher levels, guys who light up the AHL can't buy an assist in the NHL.

For me, this isn't about point production as Caron isn't that, but I will take his style of game, on this team in this system over Bourque right now. I don't dislike Bourque, I just see him as being a strange fit on a line that requires an element he can't bring.

Biggest issue I see with the 3rd is sustained pressure, which often comes with bodies working the boards, that's where I see Caron being a better fit.....may not be the popular fit here but I won't be one bit shocked if he's given the chance to nudge Bourque out when he gets healthy
To be fair, I believe the instances where players perform better in the AHL than they do in the NHL are far greater in number than the reverse.

But you're right. That presence seems right now what we need on the third line. If somehow Bourque and Pevs (or whatever combination you choose) could gel a bit, they might be able to use their craftiness to forge a decent tertiary attack. But I think it's more likely that a body to clear space has a better chance of being effective.

I'd just rather try Tardif at this point, than Caron. It's more... To me it's more of a matter of principle. Tardif is doing his best to earn a shot - he should get it. At least before Caron does.

The ideal solution in all likelyhood however, is outside of the organization.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:47 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
To be fair, I believe the instances where players perform better in the AHL than they do in the NHL are far greater in number than the reverse.

But you're right. That presence seems right now what we need on the third line. If somehow Bourque and Pevs (or whatever combination you choose) could gel a bit, they might be able to use their craftiness to forge a decent tertiary attack. But I think it's more likely that a body to clear space has a better chance of being effective.

I'd just rather try Tardif at this point, than Caron. It's more... To me it's more of a matter of principle. Tardif is doing his best to earn a shot - he should get it. At least before Caron does.

Isn't Tardif a RW? Can he play his off-wing at all? Where was Caron playing in Providence, who were his linemates?

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Johnnyduke

He's proven to be a great scorer in the AHL. He's just not an NHL player. No shame in that.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Isn't Tardif a RW? Can he play his off-wing at all? Where was Caron playing in Providence, who were his linemates?
I'm not sure. But I believe Peverley can play all three forward positions, so it matters little anyway.

And allow me to clarify: I don't think that Jamie Tardif is the answer for that line or for this team. But when it comes to EARNING a shot? He's done that and he continues to perform.

Between Tardif and Caron, there's no contest who I'd rather see.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
bruinsfan46

I've asked before, where the hell is Daymond Langkow? Does he have nothing left?

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:15 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Biggest issue I see with the 3rd is sustained pressure, which often comes with bodies working the boards, that's where I see Caron being a better fit.....may not be the popular fit here but I won't be one bit shocked if he's given the chance to nudge Bourque out when he gets healthy
While I admit I don't have the admiration for Caron that some have (I think he is really slow) I do think Caron is better on the boards and that is one thing this line is missing.

In the Devils game every time the Bruins were pinned in their own end this line was on the ice and couldn't get the puck out and if they did manage it, they would lose it in the neutral zone.

This team's bread and butter is playing hard for the puck along the boards. I don't see much of this from the 3rd line and when it comes to Caron he is actually good at this.

I am not convinced at the moment though that there is anyone in Providence ready to make the jump.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:20 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Chris Bourque has more ice-time than Greg Campbell and Dan Paille who I'm sure we all would agree are more integral to the Bruins than Bourque. He has the worst plus/minus on the team, only 3 shots ( worse among forwards ), and sees more PP time than Rich Peverley, another player we can all agree is more integral to the Bruins success than Bourque. He has 39 career NHL games under his belt and only 4 points.

I really want to get behind this kid and see him do well, but it's pretty obvious the experiment is not working. Yes, we're winning but why wait until we're losing to fix an obvious problem? I think he's fine as an injury replacement for someone on the 3rd/4th line, but as a regular 3rd line player in the league, he does not cut it. At least in the case for Caron his size and offensive potential are useful and he's easily as good if not a better two way player. With Lane MacDermid, you know he'll throw around his size along the boards and in front of the net. That third line needs a sparkplug and for as hard as Bourque works, he doesn't spark anything except yawns.
Yes,he does not cut it as a 3rd line regular.I wanted him to do well but he seems to be ''average'' in all respects.The 3rd line as it is will not likely be able to chip in at all offensively.Peverley has been playing very well in my opinion and Kelly is starting to come around but Bourque just isn't at the same level as those two.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
I'm not sure. But I believe Peverley can play all three forward positions, so it matters little anyway.

And allow me to clarify: I don't think that Jamie Tardif is the answer for that line or for this team. But when it comes to EARNING a shot? He's done that and he continues to perform.

Between Tardif and Caron, there's no contest who I'd rather see.
I'm not familiar with Tardiff at all but I would rather see Caron over Bourque.I couldn't believe CJ would go with Bourque ahead of Marchand in the shootout but since we won I guess he knew what he was doing.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 03:06 PM
ODAAT

Quote:

I`ll be honest, and you probably know this but I`m a big Caron backer (his style of play perhaps not his attitude of which I know little of) so my position may be a touch biased but if I were to have my choice between he and Bourque (if Caron healthy), I`ll take a big body who`ll battle along the boards and stand a chance of winning most of them every day of the week before a guy who is willing, but not capable of it and from the small sample size of Bourque I have seen, it`s been unimpressive in regards to the ability on the wall.

That line isn`t a pretty one, hard working guys in Kelly and Pevs, hardly fancy, I don`t care whom they would call up, fact is, gimme a big body on a 3rd line to replace Bourque, or if size isn`t available, someone adept at winning those battles, hands down, Bourque`s biggest weakness. Board play huge, and that line is missing it.............big time

Say what we will about Pouliot last season, he was a big body and he worked the boards very well

ODAAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:37 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I've asked before, where the hell is Daymond Langkow? Does he have nothing left?
I've asked this as well but heard nothing. Langkow still put up 34 points in like 70 games or so last year. He's gotta be better than some of these options.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:38 PM
DaaaaB's

For people saying, why change anything when we're 5-0-1, that's a very poor way of thinking. Things can change in a hurry and it's clear that Bourque isn't an NHL player so it'd be a dumb move Chia's part to not be looking into better options. I'm not saying he needs to make a move this week or next but just because things are going well right now, doesn't mean he can sit around twiddling his thumbs when there's clearly room for improvement.

What if we had lost those two shootouts? 3-0-3 isn't as impressive. The Carolina game could've went either way and Boston was lucky to get a point in the 2nd Rangers game. We could very well be 2-2-2 right now. Would people still be saying why replace Bourque? Probably not.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 05:54 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

You can evaluate a team after 6 games but not a career ahler playing at an ahl level?

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 09:37 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Lifer View Post
That's really wishful thinking. Paille doesn't have the finish to give that much production, nor would he be playing with skilled enough players to leech off to get that many points either.

Not really at all considering Paille--when he was a 3rd liner--has already accomplished what that poster was suggesting.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:35 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
You can evaluate a team after 6 games but not a career ahler playing at an ahl level?
No.It takes 7 games to prove anything in hockey.

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:16 PM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

No. I said I'd give Bourque 8-10 games to show me "something" before I started calling for a new L3 wing. heh Still waiting...but the clock is ticking. He has a decent shift here and there, but with nothing to show for it...If it's the same after 8 games or so...we couldn't help but do better with a switch.

I kinda feel bad for Kelly and Pevs...They've had a slow start...But we could have done more to support them...

We owe it to them to move quickly if things don't change soon.

Who knows, maybe Bourque will do something in the next few games. Ten games would be a fair shot.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:02 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Too early, Spooner didn't look ready in the camp. Would be stupid to play him unless there is injury.

The kid has done nothing to warrant a regular place, make him earn it.

Furthermore he is doing OK in Providence for a first year pro. 2 years of solid point totals down there (see Marchand) is exactly what he needs. Not to get tossed in the lineup and look basically the same as Bourque.

Bourque is playing because we want to see if he could step in should a top 6 player get hurt. The answer is still up in the air.

Bourque underwhelming means we likely have to add another significant salary at the deadline. But PC probably wants someone who expires this summer I doubt he wants a big salary on the books for next season. I think Bourques been OK.

I think it would be dumb to play Spooner right now. He has a future, let him have 2 full seasons in the AHL you'll be rewarded with a good player.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
No. I said I'd give Bourque 8-10 games to show me "something" before I started calling for a new L3 wing. heh Still waiting...but the clock is ticking. He has a decent shift here and there, but with nothing to show for it...If it's the same after 8 games or so...we couldn't help but do better with a switch.

I kinda feel bad for Kelly and Pevs...They've had a slow start...But we could have done more to support them...

We owe it to them to move quickly if things don't change soon.

Who knows, maybe Bourque will do something in the next few games. Ten games would be a fair shot.
For me it's actually 15-20 games for Bourque,enough time to shake off any nervousness and allow his linemates time to work the line out. If he was downright awful or costing games the plug would get pulled much quicker. That's not the case.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:50 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
For me it's actually 15-20 games for Bourque,enough time to shake off any nervousness and allow his linemates time to work the line out. If he was downright awful or costing games the plug would get pulled much quicker. That's not the case.
He has been downright awful in every possible way. He is dragging that line down bigtime. They (Bruins) have been very lucky it (CB playing ) has not cost them a few games.

If he stays in the lineup it will at some point. He brings zero to this team and as I have posted from game one, If he name was Chris Smith he would be in the AHL,period.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:50 AM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
unsure - still think he is a FA - enjoyed his game but he did have that big neck injury a few years back. he could be a good, vet presence for this team. just unsure where's he's at physically (see Arnott failing physical)?

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 07:57 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
He has been downright awful in every possible way. He is dragging that line down bigtime. They (Bruins) have been very lucky it (CB playing ) has not cost them a few games.

If he stays in the lineup it will at some point. He brings zero to this team and as I have posted from game one, If he name was Chris Smith he would be in the AHL,period.
You're downright wrong. If he was downright awful they would have pulled the plug. Your opinion is a condemnation of Neely,Chia and Claude by saying they do not give this team the best chance to win or have motive beyond winning and above the team. That's flat out bogus.