HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 07:41 PM
hockey365

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't think Sorensen has very high upside but I like him for a Rempart, he's behind Erne and Duclair when it comes to offense but I think he's pretty safe to be an NHLer.
IMO, Sorensen will develop much later compared to the other 2. You can compare Sorensen to Eller, he has tenacity and desires to win

Erne should be ready in a yr or 2.
Duclair in 2-3 yrs.
Sorensen in 2.5 to 4.

IMO

Old
01-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
They are 2 different types of players. Grigorenko was the best Russian player in the WJ, IMO, hence, the reason of his graduation
Did I miss something? Did Kucherov play for the Czechs or Slovaks?

Grigorenko is too soft in 1 on 1 battles, he'll get eaten up if he plays any kind of minutes on the road.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:45 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post
i'd be fine with duclair...that would be a good pick...what do you think of jordan subban..it looks like he may go in the 2nd..think he's worth the pick?
Yeah, worth the shot. But I would never expect to see him reach his brother potential. He's a lot smaller but people say he is as good on the rush.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:15 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Bob McKenzie's top 30 draft rankings at 10:30 PM ET tonight on TSN.

We should pay close attention to the guys ranked 20th to 30th.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 01-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
sigh....your in all likelihood right....god i wish there was a way. i think the only way would be to dish away something now..before a team realizes that they suck and are bound for the basement...the equation just doesn't work though...i guess we'll probly still get some good players in the early 2nd round with calgary's pick and we do got our own first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
We could try to get Drouin with that package at he draft: Plekanec or Desharnais+ Beaulieu + Leblanc + our 1rst pick ( the last because the Habs will be the Stanley Cup champion) + Bourque + a 2nd round draft pick.
This is a ridiculous package. We have a good core, lets keep it.

No matter if we pick in the late round we will still have 2-3 good prospect that can have and impact in the NHL. Most of our impact players this year are late first round/later/ufa. This draft is deep and talented. NO worries I'm pretty sure we can all list 30 players we'd wish to have at the moment.

Dont forget that homeboys like mantha could be drafted

Last edited by Mrb1p: 01-30-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old
01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Et le But

We should be able to get at least one highly regarded "homeboy" no matter where we draft, whether it be Gauthier, Mantha, or Duclair in the second round, or a Hudon-esque sleeper later on. They might not be the next great French superstar, but I'm sure Timmins will get at least one Quebecois gem while still keeping an international view for the draft.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Don't forget Carrier. He got injured and he's playing on a crap team, if he slides to the 2nd that's great value.

Timmins always seems to pick players who played with one of our prospects too, Morgan Ellis played with Carrier last season in Cap Breton.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Don't forget Carrier. He got injured and he's playing on a crap team, if he slides to the 2nd that's great value.

Timmins always seems to pick players who played with one of our prospects too, Morgan Ellis played with Carrier last season in Cap Breton.
Yeah, he fits the bill of a Timmins 2nd rounder. We picked a good year for a lot of 2nd round picks, even without moving up. In the Q alone there's the potential for Carrier, Mantha, Duclair, Sorensen, Dauphin, Morin and so on, and then there's some Europeans who may drop, plus the like of Jordan Subban and so on.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Halifaxhab*

In the 1st rd (guessing somewhere around 20 and beyond...here's hoping for 30 ) I like:
Mantha, Zadorov, Gauthier, Rychel, Lazar, Hagg

In the 2nd I like:
Fasching, Carrier, Kujawinski, Zykov, Bailey, Pesce

In the 3rd I'd take a flyer on Subban, he's slated for later but why not, better than Toronto or Ottawa getting him If not I like a kid named Tambellini, I've seen him play a couple games when I visited the west coast for work. He can hit, shoot and skates fairly well for his size. He's a project, but a 3rd rd project in a deep draft isn't too bad.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:19 PM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Yeah, he fits the bill of a Timmins 2nd rounder. We picked a good year for a lot of 2nd round picks, even without moving up. In the Q alone there's the potential for Carrier, Mantha, Duclair, Sorensen, Dauphin, Morin and so on, and then there's some Europeans who may drop, plus the like of Jordan Subban and so on.
i hope to hell we get him. a subby subby tandem on the PP...that would look pretty good.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
i hope to hell we get him. a subby subby tandem on the PP...that would look pretty good.
Subbey and Scappy doo

Old
01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
In the 1st rd (guessing somewhere around 20 and beyond...here's hoping for 30 ) I like:
Mantha, Zadorov, Gauthier, Rychel, Lazar, Hagg

In the 2nd I like:
Fasching, Carrier, Kujawinski, Zykov, Bailey, Pesce

In the 3rd I'd take a flyer on Subban, he's slated for later but why not, better than Toronto or Ottawa getting him If not I like a kid named Tambellini, I've seen him play a couple games when I visited the west coast for work. He can hit, shoot and skates fairly well for his size. He's a project, but a 3rd rd project in a deep draft isn't too bad.
Hagg in the 20'S might seem impossible though. Would be awesome value

I'd really like to draft Lazar too, he was highly touted.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Hagg in the 20'S might seem impossible though. Would be awesome value

I'd really like to draft Lazar too, he was highly touted.
Lazar's production raises flags for me. 23-14-37 in 51 games is not 1st round worthy for a forward in this draft.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:34 PM
That

Quote:
i'd be fine with duclair...that would be a good pick...what do you think of jordan subban..it looks like he may go in the 2nd..think he's worth the pick?
No chance, well not at this point in time any ways. The last thing we need is an undersized defenceman. IMO, he's not a second round talent currently either. In another draft maybe, but in one as deep as this, certainly not.

I get that he's a Subban and that right there could increase his draft stock considerably. He's not as explosive as PK, not anything special defensively either (better than PK at the same age though). He certainly does have his moments that make you go "wow", but they are too few and far in between. He'd be a solid third round pick or great fourth/fifth rounder.

He's a good prospect, who's really improved as the season has went on, but combining our needs and the deepness of the draft I really don't think he's worth a top 60 pick for us.

If we are going down the route of undersized offensive defenceman, I'd personally prefer Trevor Murphy. He had a disappointing year up until he got traded from that awful Peterborough Petes team to Windsor, and he's started lighting it up. Wicked slapshot, skates very well, explosive and very dynamic with the puck and has a pretty good defensive game too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

I'm a huge fan of Carrier. He had an incredible start to the year and then something happened and started playing poorly in mid-November. Then he got a lower-body injury that he's been sidelined with since the middle of December, he's really had a rough patch lately. He was one of my favourite prospects because of how hard he plays, just goes out there every shift and brings it. I would love to pick him up in second, he fills a need and there's also that connection that you mentioned.

Can anyone give me any insight on when Carrier could be returning to the line up?

Last edited by That: 01-30-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Did I miss something? Did Kucherov play for the Czechs or Slovaks?

Grigorenko is too soft in 1 on 1 battles, he'll get eaten up if he plays any kind of minutes on the road.
Yeah and who was centering Kucherov's line????? Like I said, on that team, Grigorenko was their best player.

At 6"3 200lbs, I'm not worried for him, he uses his reach very well to protect the puck and will do just fine and won't get eaten up.

This is after seeing more than 50 games (last year and this year) playing. Because he does not hit, doesn't make him soft.

Just look at his goal on youtube (last year) against Mackinnon, when he deked his pants off to score.

Congrats on his 1st goal!

Old
01-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
Yeah and who was centering Kucherov's line????? Like I said, on that team, Grigorenko was their best player.

At 6"3 200lbs, I'm not worried for him, he uses his reach very well to protect the puck and will do just fine and won't get eaten up.

This is after seeing more than 50 games (last year and this year) playing. Because he does not hit, doesn't make him soft.

Just look at his goal on youtube (last year) against Mackinnon, when he deked his pants off to score.

Congrats on his 1st goal!
I watched most WJHC games and saw Russia play 3 times and Grigorenko was nowhere close to being their best player. I saw easily 4-5 guys better than him most games.

The problem with his game isn't just that he doesn't hit it's that he plays soft, he loses most of his puck battles, usually against smaller players.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Lazar's production raises flags for me. 23-14-37 in 51 games is not 1st round worthy for a forward in this draft.
I know, that's what make's me happy.

He will fall due to this, and with the drive, talent(Sure he's no Drouin..), toughness and grit, and leadership he'd be a great pick up.

I watched him early this year and I really liked him. He's imposing down the middle and this is what we would need. Would not be bad for our prospect pool. You cant deny that he his very versatile and that he his really young. +What I've seen from him makes me think he has good hockey instincts, the only thing that you cant teach.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
hockey365

Quote:
I watched most WJHC games and saw Russia play 3 times and Grigorenko was nowhere close to being their best player. I saw easily 4-5 guys better than him most games.

The problem with his game isn't just that he doesn't hit it's that he plays soft, he loses most of his puck battles, usually against smaller players.
Did you see the Bronze medal game?

Old
01-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

He's exactly what Huberdeau is, a talented player that will take over a game then disapear... I don't like that type of players, but it's also this kind of players that can make you win games in wich you don't have much chances.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
No chance, well not at this point in time any ways. The last thing we need is an undersized defenceman. IMO, he's not a second round talent currently either. In another draft maybe, but in one as deep as this, certainly not.

I get that he's a Subban and that right there could increase his draft stock considerably. He's not as explosive as PK, not anything special defensively either (better than PK at the same age though). He certainly does have his moments that make you go "wow", but they are too few and far in between. He'd be a solid third round pick or great fourth/fifth rounder.

He's a good prospect, who's really improved as the season has went on, but combining our needs and the deepness of the draft I really don't think he's worth a top 60 pick for us.

If we are going down the route of undersized offensive defenceman, I'd personally prefer Trevor Murphy. He had a disappointing year up until he got traded from that awful Peterborough Petes team to Windsor, and he's started lighting it up. Wicked slapshot, skates very well, explosive and very dynamic with the puck and has a pretty good defensive game too.

I'm a huge fan of Carrier. He had an incredible start to the year and then something happened and started playing poorly in mid-November. Then he got a lower-body injury that he's been sidelined with since the middle of December, he's really had a rough patch lately. He was one of my favourite prospects because of how hard he plays, just goes out there every shift and brings it. I would love to pick him up in second, he fills a need and there's also that connection that you mentioned.

Can anyone give me any insight on when Carrier could be returning to the line up?
Word is early February. Probably 2-3 weeks from now as only Culek is expected back this week-end for Cap Breton

Old
01-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I know, that's what make's me happy.

He will fall due to this, and with the drive, talent(Sure he's no Drouin..), toughness and grit, and leadership he'd be a great pick up.

I watched him early this year and I really liked him. He's imposing down the middle and this is what we would need. Would not be bad for our prospect pool. You cant deny that he his very versatile and that he his really young. +What I've seen from him makes me think he has good hockey instincts, the only thing that you cant teach.
Would be a Ryan O'eilly type 2nd rounder, I would just like a more high upside player in round 1...unless we pick 25-30

Old
01-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Would be a Ryan O'eilly type 2nd rounder, I would just like a more high upside player in round 1...unless we pick 25-30
Well that's where I was figuring our pick would be High to mid 20's...

Maybe I'm over optimistic XD

Old
01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well that's where I was figuring our pick would be High to mid 20's...

Maybe I'm over optimistic XD
Best case would be to finish around 15th and upset Boston in round 1 then draft Erne or Gauthier at #15.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Best case would be to finish around 15th and upset Boston in round 1 then draft Erne or Gauthier at #15.
Best case would actually to go as deep as we can in the playoffs!

Drafting talent is not all about it, developing them and making them winners is a big part of it ! Imagine a good 2-3 rounds of playoff for the kids, this would boost them.
I say 2-3 overall more than if we dont make the playoffs.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Best case would actually to go as deep as we can in the playoffs!

Drafting talent is not all about it, developing them and making them winners is a big part of it ! Imagine a good 2-3 rounds of playoff for the kids, this would boost them.
I say 2-3 overall more than if we dont make the playoffs.
Forgot to add beating NYR in round 2.

Closed Thread