HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Claim Brian Strait

Old
01-25-2013, 08:56 AM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
The way I see it, players in their 20's can grow, and players with redeeming qualities grow on you.

Strait has obviously winning some people over. He's no Doughty, but as a defensively capable "Martinek 2.0" he has more than a small chance to stick on the Island as it's an unknown amount of time in which the 'linebackers' Snow's drafted (Reinhart/Pelech/Mayfield/Pedan) work their way up the depth chart - likely 2-3 seasons, barring impressive camps and injuries.

He may not be "Mr. Right," but obviously he's "Mr. Right Now." So far, I have no qualms about that until he gives me one.
I agree. I'm very happy to have him play for this team, and I think it's great to have him paired with Streit. As for the bolded, if he can be what Radek was in his prime WITHOUT the injuries, then I think Snow did very well for this team by picking him up.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 06:36 AM
Degeneration Rex

Wonder what they thought of Strait in Pittsburgh last night? Just steady and reliable,
nice to have someone like that.

Degeneration Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 07:03 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Wonder what they thought of Strait in Pittsburgh last night? Just steady and reliable,
He knows his limitations and doesn't try to do more than he's capable off which makes him the perfect partner for Streit.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:20 AM
themethod7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Well I know some guys over there still see him as expendable and a lifelong #5-7 d-man, but personally I'm wishing we would have kept him and let Lovejoy go through waivers instead. Now I'm just wondering how many more of our d-man prospects are gonna be mishandled...

themethod7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:27 AM
Isles Junkie

Eventhough it was a 1 on 2, Malkin made a great move to nearly get around him, but he stayed with him & instead of playing the puck he played the body & took him out of the play.

I'm really liking how simple Straits game is. He's been very steady so far.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
StrongIslanders90

He's not going to light up the stat sheet but man he plays a very sound defensive game

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Strait so far after only 6 games looks very steady. The type of ideal player you want on a 2nd pairing. Doesn't do anything to make highlights-but doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes either out there.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:25 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
He's not going to light up the stat sheet but man he plays a very sound defensive game
You're not going to pick up a Paul Coffey off the waiver wire. If you can get a young guy to play solid top 4 minutes then you got yourself a bargain.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:45 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Strait may be an example of the kind of solid, no holes in his game but nothing outstanding either kind of player that can get undervalued sometimes. You see that in the draft too when teams go for the player with some outstanding attribute (size, skating, toughness, etc.) and miss out on someone who's "merely" solid all-around and effective.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=451

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-weeks-672561/

Brian Strait to Shelley Anderson in the Post-Gazette:

"Any call-up I had the last couple of years, I was playing sparingly -- 12 minutes, 10 minutes," he said. "I'm getting a good opportunity here.

"It's nice when you have a coaching staff that shows trust in you. It was a different situation the last couple of years, only playing for 10 minutes and not knowing if I was going to go back out for another shift after I made a mistake."

There is some more at the link too, Post Gazette. I found the italicized portion over on the Pens board and then located the original article.

01-30-2013, 12:40 PM
RWWallpaper

You barely know he's out there...and that's more than enough for me

RWWallpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
bigd

That's the problem with being in a top organization where wins are always expected. If you're not a proven player then you're just not going to be given much rope. One mistake and you're on the bench or in the stands. Too much preasure for most rookies to succeed.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
IslandersFan17

I give the guy a lot of credit. You go from not really knowing your role with a team to stepping and playing top minutes, with a pairing partner you had no time to build chemistry with, no time to get used to a system, and playing in various roles.

I am not ready to jump up and give the guy a massive contract but I def like that I see.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

So how much has the lockout played into better pickings off the waiver wire this year? Strait, Aucoin, and Hickey... It seems like the quality was up.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
So how much has the lockout played into better pickings off the waiver wire this year? Strait, Aucoin, and Hickey... It seems like the quality was up.
I would say a lot. The lockout basically killed the trade market for fringe players on teams this year. With the short camp there was almost zero time to evaluate and possibly deal some of these guys and some hasty decisions had to be made.

For as humorous as it was to throw all the "All your waivers are belong to us!" jokes at Snow, he may have (yet again) been ahead of the curve on some of these waiver guys.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I would say a lot. The lockout basically killed the trade market for fringe players on teams this year. With the short camp there was almost zero time to evaluate and possibly deal some of these guys and some hasty decisions had to be made.

For as humorous as it was to throw all the "All your waivers are belong to us!" jokes at Snow, he may have (yet again) been ahead of the curve on some of these waiver guys.
Looks like Snow is the one laughing now.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:14 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I give the guy a lot of credit. You go from not really knowing your role with a team to stepping and playing top minutes, with a pairing partner you had no time to build chemistry with, no time to get used to a system, and playing in various roles.

I am not ready to jump up and give the guy a massive contract but I def like that I see.
I think they saw an ideal partner for Streit in Brian Strait. He's a guy that doesn't stray too far past the oppositions blue line and thinks defense first. We all know Streit is a minus machine in his own end but he does great things in the offensive zone and on the PP that you absolutely need in the lineup. That's why I think when Vis comes back he will start out on the third pairing with Carkner. I'm not saying he'll remain there but he has to understand that the team is playing well and you can't just up and juggle everything just because he finally decides to show up.