Time to re-up Nasty Nate?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 12:50 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Time to re-up Nasty Nate?

What does everyone think? It's obvious that the first line plays at a different level when he is there, healthy. Seems like also that his value is only going to go up from here, so getting it done sooner than later may make sense.

Thing is, you would have to more than likely move a roster player, and all signs point to that guy having to be Peverley ...

Here is his NTC... July 1st '13, looks like he would have to submit a 15 team trade list.

NTC (2012-13, player can submit eight-team trade list by Oct. 1, 2012; 2013-14, player can submit 15-team trade list by Oct. 1, 2013; None in 14-15.

Would you do it now? Wait and see another month or two? Wait until the summer?

Old
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Chiarelli was asked about this on T&R this morning. Kind of glazed over it, saying that there were a few RFA/UFAs comin gup over the next few years on the team, and they will be spoken to at various points when appropriate. He was asked specifically about Horton, but wouldn't answer directly.

Wasn't really sure what to make of that, to be honest.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:59 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

They probably want to see how well he plays and if he can stay healthy. I think Savard's injury and the new CBA will make the Bruins cautious in regards to Horton.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Still too early, IMO. Let's see how he holds up a little longer before making a financial commitment to a guy who's a large concussion risk.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:00 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Nah, he's still one hit away from being done IMO. I let him play for his contract and let the chips fall where they may, even though it means they risk losing him on the market at the end of the year. Chiarelli has been too anxious to lock guys up in the past, IMO.

01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
I would wait until after January at any rate. See how he's performing and have a discussion with Horton and his agent.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
01-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Nah, he's still one hit away from being done IMO. I let him play for his contract and let the chips fall where they may, even though it means they risk losing him on the market at the end of the year. Chiarelli has been too anxious to lock guys up in the past, IMO.
I agree with this approach. They have the time to wait and see, so....wait and see.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Such as?

It's a tough one, the Bruins are already short a top nine forward with Bourque filling in. Losing Peverley or Horton leaves another hole. No way to fit them both in with Savard on LTIR next year? I'd still wait a bit on Horton, still coming off of injury.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree. Have no confidence long term. Love him when he's going good but he's got a big scarlett C on his back now.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Wait until free agency opens, sign him if we can't sign Semin, Perry, Iginla.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Tough call.

You knew (or at least suspected) that he was going to try to have a big year with his contract coming up. But at the same time, he could have his season ended tomorrow.

Personally, I think I'd wait until after the season. He clearly loves it here so I think he'd give Boston every opportunity to sign him. And by waiting, you get to see if he can make it through a full (half) season and playoffs. I think the half season helps them too, in terms of his value not getting too outrageous.

OT: Why is Peverley the guy "all signs" point to?

01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Really depends what he wants. If hes looking for 5+ years then HELL no, if he wants 2-3 with a 5 mill cap hit, then thats something to work on.

Anything more than three years and im out.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Fire Julien

I know I'd keep Peverley over Kelly, Thornton and Campbell.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
I know I'd keep Peverley over Kelly, Thornton and Campbell.
Surprised you didn't list Bergeron. Finally warming up to him?

I am Boston Strong

Old
01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Surprised you didn't list Bergeron. Finally warming up to him?
There are plenty of players I'd take over Peverley and Bergeron.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Tough call.

You knew (or at least suspected) that he was going to try to have a big year with his contract coming up. But at the same time, he could have his season ended tomorrow.

Personally, I think I'd wait until after the season. He clearly loves it here so I think he'd give Boston every opportunity to sign him. And by waiting, you get to see if he can make it through a full (half) season and playoffs. I think the half season helps them too, in terms of his value not getting too outrageous.

Reasoning...

Top 5 forwards are locked up. Horton would the 6th.

Kelly has a full NTC, 3 more years after this one. The 4th line doesn't make enough to warrant whole sale changes there...and I would imagine you would leave the defense alone...

Peverley makes 3.75 mil and more easily moveable. Bruins have 7 mil, (or 11 if you LTIR Savard) on the cap number set thus far for 13-14...and still need to re-up Rask and Ference..2 forwards (Horton would make it one forward), a backup goalie and a 13th F and 7th Dman. Not much there.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I think that their model of rolling three scoring lines is unsustainable unless you can inject cheap, young talent through the draft. Too many Zach Hammills come back to bite you in the ass and you have the make key decisions when deciding how to allocate funds. You will almost always over pay on the open market.

I keep saying it, but if Rask keeps playing this way, he's got them right where he wants them going forward because they'll be absolutely screwed without him. Would not shock me one bit to see him ask for $6-7Mil.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:19 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Horton seems like the perfect example of a player who would take less to stay on this team. I don't know why exactly... just the way he acts and presents himself, seems like he would do anything to stay a Bruin.

perhaps I'm just being a naive homer though, haha.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I think that their model of rolling three scoring lines is unsustainable unless you can inject cheap, young talent through the draft. Too many Zach Hammills come back to bite you in the ass and you have the make key decisions when deciding how to allocate funds. You will almost always over pay on the open market.

I keep saying it, but if Rask keeps playing this way, he's got them right where he wants them going forward because they'll be absolutely screwed without him. Would not shock me one bit to see him ask for $6-7Mil.
I have no idea what will happen with Rask, but he doesn't appear to be the type to demand a huge salary to the detriment of the team in front of him.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:22 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:

Rask kind of had the Bruins right where he wanted them when Thomas decided not to play. I think he absolutely could have asked for a long term/big money contract straight away but he did the right thing and asked for a one year contract to prove himself. I don't really see how that would change next season. But I suppose you could be right assuming he took less for one year knowing he'd probably have a good year and then jack up his price.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Chiarelli was asked about this on T&R this morning. Kind of glazed over it, saying that there were a few RFA/UFAs comin gup over the next few years on the team, and they will be spoken to at various points when appropriate. He was asked specifically about Horton, but wouldn't answer directly.

Wasn't really sure what to make of that, to be honest.
Chiarelli never talks about negotiatons, and his office is practically leak-proof. He could be having daily meetings with Horton's agent and we'd never know.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
DaveFromNB

I think you have to get Rask signed in order to figure out what $'s you've got to play with before extending Horton and resigning/replacing Ference.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

No choice but to wait after the season. If Rask continue to deliver, he will cost a premium. Bruins will also have to weight the risks of a new contract; especially if Horton seek a 3 years deal or more.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
hoss75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Rask kind of had the Bruins right where he wanted them when Thomas decided not to play. I think he absolutely could have asked for a long term/big money contract straight away but he did the right thing and asked for a one year contract to prove himself. I don't really see how that would change next season. But I suppose you could be right assuming he took less for one year knowing he'd probably have a good year and then jack up his price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
I think you have to get Rask signed in order to figure out what $'s you've got to play with before extending Horton and resigning/replacing Ference.
I agree with reupping Rask before making a move on Horton. Based on goaltender salaries and if he continues his play, the best he's gonna do is 5 (with the B's), but I think he'd get it, given that he's not quite established (never played a full NHL season) and the lower cap.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Tough call.

Well said.

Closed Thread