HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Which play is dirtier?

View Poll Results: Dirter?
Kaleta on Kessel 18 50.00%
Brown on Kaleta 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Which play is dirtier?

Kaleta beating on Kessel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DIyudLhqAmQ

Or Brown boarding Kaleta?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_ChXt2tDNg

Leafs and Buffalo fans, if you could hold your opinion I want to know what others think thank you.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Brown boarding Kaleta is dirtier.

Both are bad, but at least Kaleta had reason to go after Kessel, for running his goalie over.

Brown just wanted to finish his check, but he should have been aware that Kaleta was in no way ready to absorb the hit and defend himself. Brown must have noticed that Kaleta was in a vulnerable position, and should have eased up on him a bit, still finish the check, but don't go all out on him.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
nmbr_24

Kaleta would be proud of Brown if they were on the same team and he did that to someone else and he would also do much worse things to the goalie than Kessel would do. I have no sympathy for Kaleta, the guy headbutts people.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Aucoin11*

Kaleta is scum

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
FireEverybody*

Kessel has no idea Kaleta is rushing in from behind.
Kaleta turns his back on Brown knowing full well Brown is going to be pissed.

Browns hit is really not that even that bad anyway.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
weaponomega

Kaleta was faking to draw a penalty. There was nothing wrong with the hit. Brown barely touched him and Kaleta drops to the ice.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:33 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponomega View Post
Kaleta was faking to draw a penalty. There was nothing wrong with the hit. Brown barely touched him and Kaleta drops to the ice.
That was my initial thought but he was injured on the play. Brown does slow down and Kaleta sees the hit coming. Just look at the hit in full speed during the play and it doesn't look like a very dirty hit. I think it was a freak injury because it really wasn't a violent hit.

I think the Kaleta jumping Kessel is easily dirtier, but I didn't vote as per the OP's request.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:43 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I don't know about using the word "dirty" to make this comparison.

Brown's hit was "dirty" in the sense of being a cheapshot. So there's that.

Kaleta's jumping Kessel wasn't "dirty", but it was still pretty much asking for retaliation. You don't jump on a guy, let alone a top scorer, and start punching him in the back of the head over that little brush with the goalie. I get that the Sabres are all sensitive to Miller now, but that's a case where at most you might give Kessel a shove when he stands up. Kaleta went way over the top with his reaction, and frankly Brown's hit didn't really bother me much in that context. An agitator is going to get his one way or another when he does that to a star.

So... the strict answer to the poll question is the Brown hit but I'm not really comfortable with what that answer implies.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
FireEverybody*

Okay someone will have to explain how jumping our star player from behind while he is on his knees is not dirty.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
Okay someone will have to explain how jumping our star player from behind while he is on his knees is not dirty.
It's more of a <female dog> move than dirty per se. Realistically, Kessel wasn't in danger of being seriously injured there, just roughed up and flustered.

Personally when I say "dirty" I mean there's an obvious and intentional risk of injury.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Announcer says it perfectly:

"Now don't forget the history with Ryan Miller and goaltenders being run as well.. BUT.. in saying that, it's PHIL KESSEL "

The Kaleta play was absolutely idiotic, Kessel accidently runs into him and falls so you think this gives you the right to beat down on the guy?

That boarding penalty is nothing, all he did was absolutely crush him from behind, he didn't target the head and it wasn't even late Kaleta was literally still handling the puck. Not to menion Kaleta saw Brown charging at him and still decided to face the boards

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Rangers fan. Brown on Kaleta by a mile. So what Kessel is softer than tissue paper? He made contact with the goalie while the other team's goon was on the ice and he got roughed up a little. Big deal. Also, Buffalo must be sensitive about Miller after the Lucic bit. Brown on Kaleta is just a gutless, reckless hit. Yeah, Kaleta is a gutless player too, but Brown is massive scrub as well (not as dirty, but still a scrub) and that hit was trash. Doesn't matter that Kaleta saw him. Brown has the numbers all the way and doesn't let up one bit. That's intent to injure, IMO. Kaleta might "deserve" it, but it's still a far dirtier play.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:30 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's more of a <female dog> move than dirty per se. Realistically, Kessel wasn't in danger of being seriously injured there, just roughed up and flustered.

Personally when I say "dirty" I mean there's an obvious and intentional risk of injury.
This. I have no love for Kaleta, but sheesh... poor Phil. He got his feathers rustled a bit because he bumped the goalie. Not really a "dirty" play.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Esq.

Kaleta jumping Kessel was way worse in my opinion. I'm a Flyers fan, and I have no horse in this race.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
He went to the hospital with a neck injury. But I'm sure that was just part of the act.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM
MastuhNinks

By the way the Kessel on Miller thing was incidental contact on Miller outside of the crease so it shouldn't have even been a penalty, which just adds to the ridiculousness of Kaleta's 'retaliation'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Brown on Kaleta is just a gutless, reckless hit.
What? Watch the replay at full speed, Brown doesn't hit him very hard at all. It's technically a boarding penalty sure and Brown probably should've known better, but it's far from intent to injure. The hit would've looked a lot more vicious if Brown was interested in hurting him. If it was really as bad as you say there would probably have been a harsher penalty, or even a sniff of someone suggesting he should be suspended. There aren't any talks of a suspension, or how Shanny will react, etc. because the hit really wasn't that bad.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Pekka Rinne

Quote:
Kaleta was hospitalized cause of the hit? Yeah, what a faker.

Pekka Rinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
He went to the hospital with a neck injury. But I'm sure that was just part of the act.
He didn't know he was going to get injured did he?

He turned to draw a penalty.

I feel bad for the Sabres players that have to defend Kaleta and his antics.

Kaleta knows Brown is coming...and turns. If that isn't stupid, then I don't know what is.

At that point, Brown is committed to the hit. Also, Brown isn't getting suspended for the hit, so it's hardly dirty. Injuries are a part of the game.

Nobody should be injured, but if it had to be someone...then you know what.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
Brown boarding Kaleta is dirtier.

Both are bad, but at least Kaleta had reason to go after Kessel, for running his goalie over.

Brown just wanted to finish his check, but he should have been aware that Kaleta was in no way ready to absorb the hit and defend himself. Brown must have noticed that Kaleta was in a vulnerable position, and should have eased up on him a bit, still finish the check, but don't go all out on him.
Do you realize what you're comparing Brown's hit against?

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
weaponomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Rinne View Post
Kaleta was hospitalized cause of the hit? Yeah, what a faker.
Buffalo has a history of exaggerating/fabricating injuries to get opposing players disciplined.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote