HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derek Stepan

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It has been 6 games, he has 4 points.
So you're impressed with his play? You think he's played well?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

If Stepan isn't producing, he looks like an AHL'er. I'd look to move him for a piece that has a prominent skill.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
So you're impressed with his play? You think he's played well?
No, but if he scores 4 points in 6 games when not playing well, what will he do when he is playing well?

And I think he has been trending upwards since the beginning of the season.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
If Stepan isn't producing, he looks like an AHL'er. I'd look to move him for a piece that has a prominent skill.
Yeah, lets trade this guy who looks like an AHL player...for a good piece! Teams will be jumping to do that!

That's how trades work, right?

Or we can keep our young, talented second line center. I'd be cool with that.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
HFBoards in a nutshell.

A player's skillset is more important than what he produces.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
HFBoards in a nutshell.

A player's skillset is more important than what he produces.
Well said.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
SnowblindNYR

Man, HF is really bitter right now hating on every player. Sometimes it's hard to be here. We've played very well in 3 of the last 4 games (I thought we outplayed Boston most of that game). Relax, our team and their players have their arrow pointing up.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
dethomas07

Quote:
I agree with you, but right now, he's a 3rd line player. He disappears for way too many games (a la Dubinsky). He looks to be getting worse (a la Dubsinky).
your shot bro..do you even watch the games!!..4points in 6 games isn't disappearing.. maybe ranger fans should appreciate the little things like Wins, because after all its a team sport. He's producing and skating hard, and we're coming into our own for the first time this year.. Every fan here always wants mad points out of everyone, RELAX!!!! get off peoples backs.. Everyone hated on MDZ and now everyone is so ecstatic about how well he's playing.. These guys are under 23yrs old and have only played 2-3 years in the league.. give it arrest enough is enough already...

Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Barnaby

I'm not on the 'dump him' bandwagon, but if I could use him in a package for RoR, then count me in.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Man, HF is really bitter right now hating on every player. Sometimes it's hard to be here. We've played very well in 3 of the last 4 games (I thought we outplayed Boston most of that game). Relax, our team and their players have their arrow pointing up.
I don't have the time to come here and read/write these long-winded posts by wanna be journalists with inflated opinions of themselves and their hockey knowledge. I go to TSN for that.

I come here to whine and b#$tch about players that are pissing me off. That's what this board is to me; a place to vent. No more, no less. It does help, though. Venting here prevents me from tossing people off the PATH platform at Grove St. in the morning.

The point is, we all have our reasons for being here. We all have extreme passion for the team that manifests itself in different ways. All are equally valid.

Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 01-30-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
McDunna with Fries

Steps is fine. He's playing fine.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I'm not on the 'dump him' bandwagon, but if I could use him in a package for RoR, then count me in.
I would too, because we desperately need another top shutdown center to fit the stature of this team. O'Reilly is simply more of a 'Torts Kinda Guy' than Stepan with his play away from the puck. He'd play 20+ minutes in all situations like Callahan.

That being said, Stepan has been fine this year. He looked really good last game and was generating a ton of chances. Just a little snake-bitten.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I don't have the time to come here and read/write these long-winded posts by wanna be journalists with overly large opinions of themselves and their hockey knowledge. I go to TSN for that.

I come here to whine and b#$tch about players that are pissing me off. That's what this board is to me; a place to vent. No more, no less. It does help, though. Venting here prevents me from tossing people off the PATH platform at Grove St. in the morning.

The point is, we all have our reasons for being here. We all have extreme passion for the team that manifests itself in different ways. All are equally valid.
So all you're here for is to vent and if players are doing well you won't give them credit? I surrender to you my crown as the most negative person on this board.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So all you're here for is to vent and if players are doing well you won't give them credit? I surrender to you my crown as the most negative person on this board.
Yeah if they are doing well I probably won't say anything; that's correct.

I'm always singing praises, but not on here. I tend to keep the positive stuff offline, with friends.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Stepan is the 2013 whipping boy. They can't whip Del Zotto anymore but wait until he has a bad game. Dubinsky and Anisimov are gone. Stepan and Hagelin. It's their turn. Weird phenomenon.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Stepan is the 2013 whipping boy. They can't whip Del Zotto anymore but wait until he has a bad game. Dubinsky and Anisimov are gone. Stepan and Hagelin. It's their turn. Weird phenomenon.
Stepan was terrible in the Finnish league aswell and he is looking just as slow in the NHL. He still hasn't shook of the offseason fat

Old
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

People want to trade Stepan? He fits in perfectly with this team now and going ahead in the future. You don't trade guys like Steps, who has a ceiling much higher than what people are giving him credit for. He looked a little slow in the first couple of games but he's picked it up recently and looks fine. He could learn a lot from Richards and he probably will because he's a smart hockey player. His physical tools aren't flashy but that's not that important, honestly. Comparing him to Dubinsky or Anisimov is silly.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Stepan has played fine. Who has had more scoring chances than Stepan so far this season other than Nash and Gaborik? He's just been unlucky.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I would too, because we desperately need another top shutdown center to fit the stature of this team. O'Reilly is simply more of a 'Torts Kinda Guy' than Stepan with his play away from the puck. He'd play 20+ minutes in all situations like Callahan.

That being said, Stepan has been fine this year. He looked really good last game and was generating a ton of chances. Just a little snake-bitten.
" a little snake bitten?" He has scored 1 goal in his last 28 games, including playoffs!

Thats an awful big bite

Old
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
" a little snake bitten?" He has scored 1 goal in his last 28 games, including playoffs!

Thats an awful big bite
You should have seen the size of the snake.

01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You really think Stepan is a 3rd line player? Really? 50+ points + PP and PK time on the 1st place team in the East and he is a 3rd liner? Oh and he was 21.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. People get too high when players play well and too low when they aren't playing well.
Let's see; he crawled to the finish line last year in the regular season and he managed to produce a grand total of one(1) goal in twenty (20) playoff games last year.
So far this year, six(6) games played and still no goal from him.

We all know of his hockey IQ and passing skills but there is really nothing else remarkable about his game.

I believe that Stepan's game has already peaked and he doesn't have much room to improve.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Let's see; he crawled to the finish line last year in the regular season and he managed to produce a grand total of one(1) goal in twenty (20) playoff games last year.
So far this year, six(6) games played and still no goal from him.

We all know of his hockey IQ and passing skills but there is really nothing else remarkable about his game.

I believe that Stepan's game has already peaked and he doesn't have much room to improve.
He was playing well at the end of last season until Orpik took out his knee in one of the final games of the season.

I don't care how many goals he scores, he could finish the season with 0 goals if he continues on a 4 point/6 game basis.

And I'd also like to point out that you believe a player has peaked at 21. Riiiiiiiggghhhttttt.............

Old
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Stepan has played fine. Who has had more scoring chances than Stepan so far this season other than Nash and Gaborik? He's just been unlucky.
Unlucky??? The guy has had one(1) freakin goal in his last 26+ games! You can't be serious with ridiculous comment like that.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
I don't have the time to come here and read/write these long-winded posts by wanna be journalists with overly large opinions of themselves and their hockey knowledge. I go to TSN for that.

Way to go pal! I'm with you.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Way to go pal! I'm with you.
So you're another one that comes on these boards to ***** and moan about bad players and not give credit to good players? All you and Krei do is *****. At least I toss in some compliments once in a while.

Closed Thread