HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derek Stepan

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM
  #126
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
It has been 6 games, he has 4 points.
So you're impressed with his play? You think he's played well?

KreiMeARiver is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:52 AM
  #127
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,604
vCash: 500
If Stepan isn't producing, he looks like an AHL'er. I'd look to move him for a piece that has a prominent skill.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
  #128
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
So you're impressed with his play? You think he's played well?
No, but if he scores 4 points in 6 games when not playing well, what will he do when he is playing well?

And I think he has been trending upwards since the beginning of the season.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
  #129
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
If Stepan isn't producing, he looks like an AHL'er. I'd look to move him for a piece that has a prominent skill.
Yeah, lets trade this guy who looks like an AHL player...for a good piece! Teams will be jumping to do that!

That's how trades work, right?

Or we can keep our young, talented second line center. I'd be cool with that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
  #130
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,740
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
If Stepan isn't producing, he looks like an AHL'er. I'd look to move him for a piece that has a prominent skill.
HFBoards in a nutshell.

A player's skillset is more important than what he produces.

Brian Boyle is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
  #131
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
HFBoards in a nutshell.

A player's skillset is more important than what he produces.
Well said.

Pizza is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
  #132
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Man, HF is really bitter right now hating on every player. Sometimes it's hard to be here. We've played very well in 3 of the last 4 games (I thought we outplayed Boston most of that game). Relax, our team and their players have their arrow pointing up.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
  #133
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
I agree with you, but right now, he's a 3rd line player. He disappears for way too many games (a la Dubinsky). He looks to be getting worse (a la Dubsinky).
your shot bro..do you even watch the games!!..4points in 6 games isn't disappearing.. maybe ranger fans should appreciate the little things like Wins, because after all its a team sport. He's producing and skating hard, and we're coming into our own for the first time this year.. Every fan here always wants mad points out of everyone, RELAX!!!! get off peoples backs.. Everyone hated on MDZ and now everyone is so ecstatic about how well he's playing.. These guys are under 23yrs old and have only played 2-3 years in the league.. give it arrest enough is enough already...

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
  #134
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,487
vCash: 500
I'm not on the 'dump him' bandwagon, but if I could use him in a package for RoR, then count me in.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
  #135
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Man, HF is really bitter right now hating on every player. Sometimes it's hard to be here. We've played very well in 3 of the last 4 games (I thought we outplayed Boston most of that game). Relax, our team and their players have their arrow pointing up.
I don't have the time to come here and read/write these long-winded posts by wanna be journalists with inflated opinions of themselves and their hockey knowledge. I go to TSN for that.

I come here to whine and b#$tch about players that are pissing me off. That's what this board is to me; a place to vent. No more, no less. It does help, though. Venting here prevents me from tossing people off the PATH platform at Grove St. in the morning.

The point is, we all have our reasons for being here. We all have extreme passion for the team that manifests itself in different ways. All are equally valid.


Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 01-30-2013 at 02:03 PM.
KreiMeARiver is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
  #136
McDunna with Fries
Registered User
 
McDunna with Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
Steps is fine. He's playing fine.

McDunna with Fries is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
  #137
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I'm not on the 'dump him' bandwagon, but if I could use him in a package for RoR, then count me in.
I would too, because we desperately need another top shutdown center to fit the stature of this team. O'Reilly is simply more of a 'Torts Kinda Guy' than Stepan with his play away from the puck. He'd play 20+ minutes in all situations like Callahan.

That being said, Stepan has been fine this year. He looked really good last game and was generating a ton of chances. Just a little snake-bitten.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM
  #138
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
I don't have the time to come here and read/write these long-winded posts by wanna be journalists with overly large opinions of themselves and their hockey knowledge. I go to TSN for that.

I come here to whine and b#$tch about players that are pissing me off. That's what this board is to me; a place to vent. No more, no less. It does help, though. Venting here prevents me from tossing people off the PATH platform at Grove St. in the morning.

The point is, we all have our reasons for being here. We all have extreme passion for the team that manifests itself in different ways. All are equally valid.
So all you're here for is to vent and if players are doing well you won't give them credit? I surrender to you my crown as the most negative person on this board.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
  #139
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So all you're here for is to vent and if players are doing well you won't give them credit? I surrender to you my crown as the most negative person on this board.
Yeah if they are doing well I probably won't say anything; that's correct.

I'm always singing praises, but not on here. I tend to keep the positive stuff offline, with friends.

KreiMeARiver is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 12:39 PM
  #140
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,751
vCash: 500
Stepan is the 2013 whipping boy. They can't whip Del Zotto anymore but wait until he has a bad game. Dubinsky and Anisimov are gone. Stepan and Hagelin. It's their turn. Weird phenomenon.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
  #141
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Stepan is the 2013 whipping boy. They can't whip Del Zotto anymore but wait until he has a bad game. Dubinsky and Anisimov are gone. Stepan and Hagelin. It's their turn. Weird phenomenon.
Stepan was terrible in the Finnish league aswell and he is looking just as slow in the NHL. He still hasn't shook of the offseason fat

toewsintangibles is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:06 PM
  #142
Callahan Auto
Rational Police
 
Callahan Auto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
People want to trade Stepan? He fits in perfectly with this team now and going ahead in the future. You don't trade guys like Steps, who has a ceiling much higher than what people are giving him credit for. He looked a little slow in the first couple of games but he's picked it up recently and looks fine. He could learn a lot from Richards and he probably will because he's a smart hockey player. His physical tools aren't flashy but that's not that important, honestly. Comparing him to Dubinsky or Anisimov is silly.

Callahan Auto is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:08 PM
  #143
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,168
vCash: 500
Stepan has played fine. Who has had more scoring chances than Stepan so far this season other than Nash and Gaborik? He's just been unlucky.

StaalWars is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:10 PM
  #144
Joe11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I would too, because we desperately need another top shutdown center to fit the stature of this team. O'Reilly is simply more of a 'Torts Kinda Guy' than Stepan with his play away from the puck. He'd play 20+ minutes in all situations like Callahan.

That being said, Stepan has been fine this year. He looked really good last game and was generating a ton of chances. Just a little snake-bitten.
" a little snake bitten?" He has scored 1 goal in his last 28 games, including playoffs!

Thats an awful big bite

Joe11 is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:11 PM
  #145
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,802
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
" a little snake bitten?" He has scored 1 goal in his last 28 games, including playoffs!

Thats an awful big bite
You should have seen the size of the snake.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
  #146
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
You really think Stepan is a 3rd line player? Really? 50+ points + PP and PK time on the 1st place team in the East and he is a 3rd liner? Oh and he was 21.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. People get too high when players play well and too low when they aren't playing well.
Let's see; he crawled to the finish line last year in the regular season and he managed to produce a grand total of one(1) goal in twenty (20) playoff games last year.
So far this year, six(6) games played and still no goal from him.

We all know of his hockey IQ and passing skills but there is really nothing else remarkable about his game.

I believe that Stepan's game has already peaked and he doesn't have much room to improve.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
  #147
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Let's see; he crawled to the finish line last year in the regular season and he managed to produce a grand total of one(1) goal in twenty (20) playoff games last year.
So far this year, six(6) games played and still no goal from him.

We all know of his hockey IQ and passing skills but there is really nothing else remarkable about his game.

I believe that Stepan's game has already peaked and he doesn't have much room to improve.
He was playing well at the end of last season until Orpik took out his knee in one of the final games of the season.

I don't care how many goals he scores, he could finish the season with 0 goals if he continues on a 4 point/6 game basis.

And I'd also like to point out that you believe a player has peaked at 21. Riiiiiiiggghhhttttt.............

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
  #148
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Stepan has played fine. Who has had more scoring chances than Stepan so far this season other than Nash and Gaborik? He's just been unlucky.
Unlucky??? The guy has had one(1) freakin goal in his last 26+ games! You can't be serious with ridiculous comment like that.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:38 PM
  #149
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
I don't have the time to come here and read/write these long-winded posts by wanna be journalists with overly large opinions of themselves and their hockey knowledge. I go to TSN for that.

I come here to whine and b#$tch about players that are pissing me off. That's what this board is to me; a place to vent. No more, no less. It does help, though. Venting here prevents me from tossing people off the PATH platform at Grove St. in the morning.

The point is, we all have our reasons for being here. We all have extreme passion for the team that manifests itself in different ways. All are equally valid.
Way to go pal! I'm with you.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
  #150
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Way to go pal! I'm with you.
So you're another one that comes on these boards to ***** and moan about bad players and not give credit to good players? All you and Krei do is *****. At least I toss in some compliments once in a while.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.