HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

James Reimer Discussion Thread.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:20 AM
gustavsson50

vCash: 500
I dont disagree about his high glove but I still think he was one of the best player on ice for last 3 games.

gustavsson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
Two goals tonight scored on Reimer were high glove, and it seems like a lot of players always try to shoot there

Is this the only thing stopping Reimer from being a star goalie?
This is the issue with goalies who are not true number 1's. They have a weakness that shows itself as the goalie plays more. In Riemer's case, his weakness with the glove (as you pointed out) affects how his defense-men play. They are forced to take away shots from closer to the boards, where they should allow a player to shoot from. This puts them out of position, and they can be skated around, allowing attacking players to cut to the net. Confidence (or lack there-of) in one's goalie is keeping the Leafs' D from playing to their full potential.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Good news is Reimer is back to his old self, giving us a chance to win every night.

If he can replicate the 20-10-7 run from rookie season, playoffs are a real possibility. Way too early to tell though.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
This is the issue with goalies who are not true number 1's. They have a weakness that shows itself as the goalie plays more. In Riemer's case, his weakness with the glove (as you pointed out) affects how his defense-men play. They are forced to take away shots from closer to the boards, where they should allow a player to shoot from. This puts them out of position, and they can be skated around, allowing attacking players to cut to the net. Confidence (or lack there-of) in one's goalie is keeping the Leafs' D from playing to their full potential.
lol! You sound like a Sportsnet analyst.

How do know what the dmen are thinking???

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:35 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

It's his style. We all know he's primarily a blocking goalie -- blocking goalies rely on perfect positioning to get in front of every shot. I don't think his glove hand is bad by itself, but he positions it on top of his left pad, which takes away just about the entire bottom half of the net and takes away the ever-popular "far side, just above the pad" shot and is probably the best place for it be on point shots (look at Franson'sl and Frattin's goals yesterday. If Miller had kept his glove lower, both would've just shot right into his glove.)

Of course the obvious Catch-22 is that it leaves high glove just screaming "shoot here" to opposing players. And this is where Reimer's style gets weird: half the time he doesn't even bother with his glove or blocker on high shots -- he just puffs up his shoulders. I don't know how advisable that is

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Reimer is actually very quick on the ice, I think he's in the top 5 of being the fastest goalies from side to side IIRC. His five hole is weak at times but should impove and he really doesn't get beat there often. Same deal with he glove, though I do agree he should hold it a little higher to speed up that reflex a bit.

All in all, their really isn't anything wrong with Reimer, he's still young and has some developing to do. I would blame the defence first before I'd blame anything wrong with Reimer

Felstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
lol! You sound like a Sportsnet analyst.

How do know what the dmen are thinking???
It's an unfortunate circumstance for the Leafs' D, or any D playing with inconsistant goaltending. The D should not be "thinking", but rather simply "playing". Posters continue to make negative comments about Phaneuf, Gardiner, and other leafs' D getting beat to the outside. Watch the D play, especially defending the rush. They should stay on, or inside, the face-off dots. They don't. They move out of position, making for poor defensive angles.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:03 AM
diceman934

Quote:
It's an unfortunate circumstance for the Leafs' D, or any D playing with inconsistant goaltending. The D should not be "thinking", but rather simply "playing". Posters continue to make negative comments about Phaneuf, Gardiner, and other leafs' D getting beat to the outside. Watch the D play, especially defending the rush. They should stay on, or inside, the face-off dots. They don't. They move out of position, making for poor defensive angles.
Playing inside the dots on the ice is to take away middle ice....once a player commits to the outside you engage them outside of the dots on the rush. The issue with Dion etc is gap control and his inability to transition from backwards to forward to match the speed of his opponent. He has average at best footwork with most of his weight on his heels.

Now getting back to Reimer ......he does not track the puck all that well and that is his major issue. Along with the other areas I identified earlier in this thread.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
KuleminFan41

Reimer has a bit of trouble but it isn't anything terrible. He did rather fine against NYR with the glove . Guys went glove and he stopped plenty that game. Sometimes goalies get beat,even Patrick Roy has been beaten high glove a couple times in his career and no I'm not comparing them skillwise or glove hand wise either before anyone tries to get smart and attack me

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Peasy
All In The Game Yo

vCash: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Grigorenko went 5-hole. So did Crosby.

Just as big a concern
So did Malkin.

Peasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
The Oilers broadcast on Saturday/Sunday ... whatever ... they were talking about the goalie coach working on keeping Dubnyk's glove low by his leg pad.

Take away the lower part of the net.

On the previous Leafs' broadcast the analysts were saying Reimer should keep his glove higher.

So do we believe sportscasters or goalie coaches?

The one goal high yesterday, off the scramble, I doubt many keepers save that, 4 Leafs' defenders looking into a pile for the puck when the Sabre was holding it with a free shot against the net.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020079

Did you see Franson's goal was over Millers glove?
If the sportscaster is a former goalie......then I will listen to their critique as they have a good grasp of technical issues and adjustments that can help a goalie.....hence the reason that goalie coaches are former goalies. I agree that is a goal every time.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
I've noticed players aiming for there. There have been one or two goals scored on him there, but he has also made some beautiful saves when players shoot there as well. There is one goal in particular I remember against Buffalo last night scored high glove, but it was more right below Reimer's ears which I remember from that Jamie McClennan/Dion Phaneuf video being pretty much impossible for a goalie to stop so I can't fault him on that one.

Grant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

There is not a goalie in the NHL who can lay claim to having an amazing five-hole. Every goalie is going to struggle with low stick-side shots because they are damn impossible to save. But the glove hand should be every goalie's STRENGTH. There is not a single goalie that cannot take away the bottom part of the net these days. Most goalies are at least 6' (with a few exceptions of course) and so once they butterfly they cover the bottom part of the net.

What we need Reims to do is watch Evegeny Nabokov, Cam Ward or MAF(glove only haha). He has greatly improved upon his glove hand this year, but he still needs to improve some more.

Also, I am of the opinion that Reimer really needs to work on his footwork. Once his footwork is settled, then his post-post movement and five-hole should also improve.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I've noticed players aiming for there. There have been one or two goals scored on him there, but he has also made some beautiful saves when players shoot there as well. There is one goal in particular I remember against Buffalo last night scored high glove, but it was more right below Reimer's ears which I remember from that Jamie McClennan/Dion Phaneuf video being pretty much impossible for a goalie to stop so I can't fault him on that one.
He also stopped Rick Nash high glove on a breakaway as well

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:07 PM
mapes

Don't you think shooters are aiming there on most goalies since its tougher to stop?

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Don't you think shooters are aiming there on most goalies since its tougher to stop?
This.

Take 30 starting goalies in the NHL, and the majority of them will be vulnerable glove high.

It's the hardest spot to stop a puck.

On Reimer - I think teams target his glove and with good reason. It can be susceptible, not in that he doesn't have a good glove hand, but because he has the tendency to drop that glove.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Hockeylaw

There is room for improvement, but I think his glove hand is alright.

All I know is, we had better not let him go. He's only 24. He will get better.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Playing inside the dots on the ice is to take away middle ice....once a player commits to the outside you engage them outside of the dots on the rush. The issue with Dion etc is gap control and his inability to transition from backwards to forward to match the speed of his opponent. He has average at best footwork with most of his weight on his heels.

Now getting back to Reimer ......he does not track the puck all that well and that is his major issue. Along with the other areas I identified earlier in this thread.
Not in Carlyle's system. He wants his D inside the dots. Plus, Phaneuf is an excellent skater, with very quick feet.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Not in Carlyle's system. He wants his D inside the dots. Plus, Phaneuf is an excellent skater, with very quick feet.
Which Phaneuf?

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
diceman934

Quote:
You are talking about player position when not engaged on the rush......You need to combine this with gap control and once engaged your task is to run the player out of options and into the wall and regain puck control.

As far as Dion being a great skater with quick feet......I disagree strongly.....poor foot work is an issue. He has good speed..... going forward, lateral movement is average at best. Watch Liles transition skating and that is what Carlyle wants.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

any player who can roof the puck consistently will score many, many goals in the NHL.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Alflives

Quote:
You are talking about player position when not engaged on the rush......You need to combine this with gap control and once engaged your task is to run the player out of options and into the wall and regain puck control.

As far as Dion being a great skater with quick feet......I disagree strongly.....poor foot work is an issue. He has good speed..... going forward, lateral movement is average at best. Watch Liles transition skating and that is what Carlyle wants.
Dion is a big guy. One can't compare his skating to a smaller sized player. For his size, he is very agile, and the Leafs are fortunate to have him.

Gap control is a neutral zone issue, and is about the separation between team-mates, not opponents.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Dion is a big guy. One can't compare his skating to a smaller sized player. For his size, he is very agile, and the Leafs are fortunate to have him.

Gap control is a neutral zone issue, and is about the separation between team-mates, not opponents.
Gap control is not just an neutral zone issue, it is about limiting players time and space and is most definitely about the space between the D man and opponents....

Dion is not a great skater for his size and I was comparing the transition skating of Liles as an example of what Carlyle wants from his D man on the rush and not as a comparison of the two. Liles gives up the outside and then transition skates and takes away the players time and space and runs them out of options.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Fat Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
There is room for improvement, but I think his glove hand is alright.

All I know is, we had better not let him go. He's only 24. He will get better.
Nah, there's no way we would let him go this early. His flaws are due to the fact that he's young and learning. Even still, he's probably been our best goalie since...Belfour?

Fat Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Gap control is not just an neutral zone issue, it is about limiting players time and space and is most definitely about the space between the D man and opponents....

Dion is not a great skater for his size and I was comparing the transition skating of Liles as an example of what Carlyle wants from his D man on the rush and not as a comparison of the two. Liles gives up the outside and then transition skates and takes away the players time and space and runs them out of options.
Here is where you are certainly wrong on both accounts:

GAP is that space between your D and your forwards in the neutral zone: A large gap leaves too much space for the other team's players. This is why D stay up (between the dots) and backchecking forwards apply back pressure on the puck carrier. A proper gap also allows the team to transition from defense to offense (in the neutral zone) quickly, when there is a turn-over. Defense-men backing up too quickly, or forwards not backchecking quickly enough creates the gap.

Now, why do you feel the Leaf's D back up too quickly? That's correct. They lack confidence in their goalies.

If Phaneuf's muscle fibre was tested, he would have a lot more fast twitch than slow twitch. He not only has quick feet, he has quick hands too.