HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you fire Laviolette? (Philadelphia Daily News article dated March 12, 2013)

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
It doesn't take much to figure out the Flyers this season. They have very little offensive capability from the backend. All you have to do his bum rush the forwards like the Rangers were doing and even if the Flyers get it out to the point quick enough we don't have anybody with a lethal shot. Timonen made them pay last night on that lone goal but they'll sacrifice a quality chance here and there knowing that percentage wise they'll limit the Flyers chances or the Flyers will limit their own for lack of an offensive threat back on D. When you have Lundqvist and you are one of the better shot blocking teams that will also help your chances. It's really similar to B-ball where if you have no outside threat (particularly the 3) they just collapse on you in the paint. In the Sixers case they have no inside presence to keep teams honest.

Again...it's really not so much a system problem with the Flyers as much as it is a lack of the right personnel particulalrly with respect to D men who are mobile. Getting the first pass helps if the forwards tighten it up and support the D men and don't look for the long pass but that also requires puck possession (winning faceoffs etc). The other team also knows that our D is not mobile in the D zone so they forecheck the crap out of them too and our D men are scramblin.

Let's face it...losing Pronger with his big shot, Carle with his mobillity and basically just getting Schenn who has been good but not a franchise D man like a Weber or Suter ..is just simply not enough to succeed in this league.
I agree the Flyers desperately need offense from the blue line but I don't think that is the reason they have played like crap. Besides Del Zotto, most of the Rangers D dump the puck out without really trying a good first pass. Same with Jersey. These teams pressure the puck relentlessly as a 5 man team. The Flyers do not.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree the Flyers desperately need offense from the blue line but I don't think that is the reason they have played like crap. Besides Del Zotto, most of the Rangers D dump the puck out without really trying a good first pass. Same with Jersey. These teams pressure the puck relentlessly as a 5 man team. The Flyers do not.
How can they pressure when they get dominated on faceoffs?

I know what you are saying to some extent..lack of hustle and effort is making them look worse but I think they have other more fundamental problems. Injuries certainly haven't helped as well as the compressed schedule but again all the teams are in the same boat

Old
01-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Van Buren Boy
--------------------

A good coach will get the most of even a crappy roster. Look at Tippett in Phoenix, Ruff in Buffalo (minus the last two years)...look what Hitchcock did in Columbus and now in St-Louis...hell even look at the Devils last year. I just don't grasp how he doesn't try to adjust.

in 2010 we squeaked into the playoffs and had to come back from 3-0 down in a series. If that miracle wouldn't have occurred we would have 3 straight second round exits and those weren't very pretty...they were pretty much blowouts.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
they play like crap because all they do is look for the perfect pass,one timer, perfect deke which never works.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
He wasn't successful enough here. Close but no cigar. rewatch every Rangers game from last season. notice how when we are outplaying the Rangers for half of the game, Torts comes out with an adjusted game plan and they make us look like ****. I liked Lavi as a coach, but his time is about up here, and you reiterated that.
If you as a fan set the bar for success as championship or bust you will be disappointed for most of your life.

I think that his time may be up because the team is playing poorly, and the coach is always first to go. I also think that a fiery, screaming coach like him has a short lifespan. That's why it may be time. I do agree though that he doesn't adjust well enough.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
StandingCow

I wouldn't mind a coach that plays a more... I guess mixed system, more emphasis on defense..

Lavi seems incapable of adjusting his system to beat teams like Tampa and the Devils. And this high tempo system isn't gonna work to well in a short season just due to the amount of games.

I dunno, I am not saying fire Lavi, he is a hell of a coach, and who is available to take his spot if they did? I just wish he would adjust his system a bit.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Laughton is an O'Reilly type player. What the Flyers need is a young defenseman who can step in and play top four minutes immediately and can contribute offensively.

As for firing Laviolette, it's plausible. Look no further than Holmgren's right hand man, John Paddock. He'scurrently the eye in the sky coach and he's in charge of the defense. When they show him watching from above, you can actually see his face cringe over the lack of detail paid to defense in general. There's a reason why Holmgren has him there. He will be Laviolette's replacement if they go that route.

As for Bryzgalov, he's been fantastic this year. Anyone who says the goaltending has been questionable hasn't watched a game this year.
firing Laviollete for Paddock would be mind blowingly stupid mid season. That would require changing the system. In a shortened season.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
firing Laviollete for Paddock would be mind blowingly stupid mid season. That would require changing the system. In a shortened season.
While I think there is validity to this argument I think it's a bit overblown. Lavi came in pretty late with the Flyers and so did Sutter with LA and had very good success implementing their philosophy and the players were open to it b/c they wanted change. Sometimes change is needed no matter the timing. Change for change sake usually is not a good idea. There has to be a good reason. Right now the Flyers are showing no continuity whatsoever with whatever the current system is or supposed to be. If it continues you have a problem and have to address it. You can't let a bad situation fester either...we're not at that point just yet but we're getting there quick.
Let's see how this break in the sked works for them....

Old
01-30-2013, 11:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
While I think there is validity to this argument I think it's a bit overblown. Lavi came in pretty late with the Flyers and so did Sutter with LA and had very good success implementing their philosophy and the players were open to it b/c they wanted change. Sometimes change is needed no matter the timing. Change for change sake usually is not a good idea. There has to be a good reason. Right now the Flyers are showing no continuity whatsoever with whatever the current system is or supposed to be. If it continues you have a problem and have to address it. You can't let a bad situation fester either...we're not at that point just yet but we're getting there quick.
Let's see how this break in the sked works for them....
if they have a losing homestand then I think management would start to think about making a move. After this homestand they will be at the quarter mark in games played.
Its not a easy decision no matter what. We see a team that looks totally lost and disorganized. At the same time they had a short camp and little practice time. Its a tough call either way. I think a shakeup trade comes first. IMO

Old
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Not saying I 100% would or anything, but the topic has got to be raised, should the Flyers can Lavy?

We were underwhelming last year and were thoroughly out-coached against the Devils, it was men against boys. We've started worse than any season in memory except when we finished #30 and nobody looks like they know what they're doing.

Do you fire him, and who do you bring in if so?
And so it starts

Old
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Guess we'll see how it ends....

Old
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Oh no, we suck again!

Old
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I said firing Laviolette is plausible, not definite. As well, Paddock has been around long enough that he would only make minor changes, not a complete overhaul. Others also need to realize that the last time there was a shortened season, the Flyers were 2-7-1 to start. So, it isn't impossible to turn it around.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

If he continues to make zero adjustments to his teams play then yes he deserves to be fired. Some very questionable moves this year.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Garbage Goal

I'd rather Homer get fired before Lavi assuming someone does get fired.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I said firing Laviolette is plausible, not definite. As well, Paddock has been around long enough that he would only make minor changes, not a complete overhaul. Others also need to realize that the last time there was a shortened season, the Flyers were 2-7-1 to start. So, it isn't impossible to turn it around.
i think its still way to early to panic. I know most people are frustrated about whats going on and nobody is happy. If the Flyers have a 4-0 homestand all this will go away.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'd rather Homer get fired before Lavi assuming someone does get fired.
1000% agree on that.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I guess they would have to be the first players in NHL history to be traded with NMCs since it never happens.
What are the odds both waive? Kimmo will have his choice of where or whether he plays next season. Briere has to wonder if he'll be bought out this summer. They will have the option of staying or going on their own terms and it's not like either will get us a huge return.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Personally, I'd like to see Lavy go. The myriad of reasons have already been stated but irrespective of all those is the simple fact that I can't think of another coach who has come in and changed the identity of the Flyers as much as he has. (and no, Homer doesn't get let off the hook or removed from that criticism) The lack of team defense is maddening. His system simply does not work in the playoffs. Good teams are going to adjust and embarrass us (Boston, New Jersey)

Again, what I think this team needs over anything else and before any personnel moves are solid practices.

Well that and a number 1 D-Man. You simply aren't winning no Cup without a bona-fide, clearcut #1 rearguard.

Miss this year's playoffs? and finish near the bottom? Y'all familiar with the expression, "take 1 step back, 2 steps forward"

Old
01-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Now if we can only get someone to trade us LeClair and Desjardins.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
What are the odds both waive? Kimmo will have his choice of where or whether he plays next season. Briere has to wonder if he'll be bought out this summer. They will have the option of staying or going on their own terms and it's not like either will get us a huge return.
Timonen I would put at very likely to waive. Briere I would put as likely to waive with limitation on location.

Both will net a minimum of a 1st round pick.

Old
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quotables

Quote:
"I think we need a larger sample before we go down the road of whether we're a good road team or not."

- Peter Laviolette, on the Flyers' 1-4 road record, following a league-best 25-13-3 mark last season away from home.

Quote:
"I don't think we're scoring enough goals," Laviolette said. "He (Couturier) finds himself playing against top lines. Plus/minus is oftentimes a reflection of not scoring almost as much as it is [an opponent] scoring. The last couple games, we're playing against teams that check tightly."
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...fensively.html

Old
01-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

I think after this home stand this conversation can be had. I will hold my judgement until then.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:19 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I don't understand the hate on Homer.

They guy has done everything he could possibly do to make the team better.

Homer

-Has given us a solid young core
-Went out and paid big bucks in effort to solve the goaltending issue
-Went out and tried to bring home Weber
-Isn't afraid to ruffle feathers and piss people off to get what he wants

Despite occasionally making us want to pull our hair out, the guy has balls of steel and has done a great job as GM.

With all the talent in the world on this team, its not his job to coach them. He just has to get the talent on the ice. Hes done that quite nicely.

Old
01-30-2013, 03:20 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Personally, I'd like to see Lavy go. The myriad of reasons have already been stated but irrespective of all those is the simple fact that I can't think of another coach who has come in and changed the identity of the Flyers as much as he has. (and no, Homer doesn't get let off the hook or removed from that criticism) The lack of team defense is maddening. His system simply does not work in the playoffs. Good teams are going to adjust and embarrass us (Boston, New Jersey)

Again, what I think this team needs over anything else and before any personnel moves are solid practices.

Well that and a number 1 D-Man. You simply aren't winning no Cup without a bona-fide, clearcut #1 rearguard.

Miss this year's playoffs? and finish near the bottom? Y'all familiar with the expression, "take 1 step back, 2 steps forward"
Yeah, I don't buy that. His system works regular season and postseason if you have players that are a fit for it. This team is not a good fit for his system. So you can A)fire the coach because the GM screwed up the dynamic of the team or B)try and put together a roster that is a fit.

I would go with B, but I'm not sure if I'd want Homer to do it. On one hand, he has an eye for talent and we've seen that he can overhaul a roster in a short period. On the other hand, he's screwed up pretty bad the last couple seasons. No easy answer here. It might be best to just try and let the team grow a little bit, but in this city and with this owner it always seems like do or die.

Closed Thread